CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

One thing to consider when weighing in on TOX versus Final Boss:

Final Boss dominated in an era where you couldn't just open up your game and pull up replays of all your scrimmages to see what was going on for every player in every game.  So if you were doing something clever, people had to witness it in the game to pick it up and adapt to it.

TOX is dominating in a post-streaming era where you've been able to see games via replays as well as watch streams to hear teams' communication and improve that way as well.

I am not saying this means TOX would have been better at CE or Halo 2, only that it's a factor to consider.  Game sense as a whole is much higher these days, simply because everyone has access to more information.  They're all more competitive game literate.

Such as radar

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't get why you and others think we're in trouble of any sort. Using halo 3 is a huge step up and a very positive step going forward.

i think he's talking less about the  game and more about the setup of grassroots and hcs basically ending till infinite. i think grassroots is a cool idea that shouldve acted as  minors between hcs events because i dont know if many of these teams will continue to compete for 25-30k. will splyce, tox, rec, etc keep competing or will they move on. it seems that frosty will be fulltime cod now

i hope halo stays strong through this cuz a severe drop in prizing could hurt. as long as we get promotion and great partners and more updates on infinite i think we should be ok

the reason that I think we're in trouble (somewhat) is that 343 is investing the bare minimum --- middling prize pools for second-tier tournament organizers, a few emotes/skins or whatever for our four 'biggest' (peaking at 400 viewers!) Halo content creators, and nothing else.  also most of the top pros will leave for CoD, and I strongly doubt that orgs will stay around to fly Goofy and Gabriel to compete for $10k at Gamers for Giving.  it's great that the scene isn't dying but I was hoping for way more investment on 343's part; MLG-sponsored multi-game events (H1 2v2, H3 4v4), bigger prize pools, etc.  

• Upvote (+1) 7

One thing to consider when weighing in on TOX versus Final Boss:

Final Boss dominated in an era where you couldn't just open up your game and pull up replays of all your scrimmages to see what was going on for every player in every game. So if you were doing something clever, people had to witness it in the game to pick it up and adapt to it.

TOX is dominating in a post-streaming era where you've been able to see games via replays as well as watch streams to hear teams' communication and improve that way as well.

I am not saying this means TOX would have been better at CE or Halo 2, only that it's a factor to consider. Game sense as a whole is much higher these days, simply because everyone has access to more information. They're all more competitive game literate.

Gonna have to correct you here. MLG had literally hundreds of hours of VOD from every players perspective available on the site immediately after an event.

In fact it’s agurable to say that there was more review material back then there is now. I wouldn’t know where to look for 12-20 seed player tournament gameplay footage from H5. MLG had every match recorded and logged for player/community review.

Top teams and up and coming players did review post game footage all of the time. From FFA to 4v4 every top player had gameplay available for review. I think you’re misunderstanding that halo was relatively new at the time. It’s hard to compare game sense 5 years into a series life to nearly 20 years. Of course competition and game sense would be way higher after players are playing the game for almost two decades.

Also competing against 256 teams each event and consistently winning is way more impressive then a dozen or so teams. Not to take anything away from tox but statistically speaking the final boss run is a bit more impressive. But credit is due where credit is due, congratulations to tox.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Tox is easily the best H5 team. They will stay top 2 for years. But..

12 - 0

FB went undefeated in the most competitive H2 tournament with the biggest prize pool.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Really happy that Tox won if splyce didnt Great story. Maybe @@LethuL will stream again now?

It is hard to ignore splyce's lack of commitment, but thats on them

I do have to say this was the first tourney in a while i didnt remember to watch live, and im a die hard. I really hope the future is better handled

Gonna have to correct you here. MLG had literally hundreds of hours of VOD from every players perspective available on the site immediately after an event.

You can't just pause a single PoV VoD and zoom out to see where every other player on the map is at a time.  You'd have to sync up four VoDs of four player PoVs...

• Upvote (+1) 4

I said before that TOX is basically the LeBron James of Halo, but got negged hard for that statement.

With this renewed debate of FB vs TOX, I am

even more convinced that TOX is the LeBron and FB is the MJ of Halo, respectively.

That being said, Final Boss will forever remain the most dominant team, imo. The popularity of Halo was at its highest and the frequency of LAN events was much higher with way more teams competing.

However, TOX is undoubtedly top 3 all-time. Really curious to see if this roster will compete in H3 going forward.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't see much logic in saying Tox is the best halo team all time, and even less logic in putting Snakebite/Royal 2 over Lunch/Roy or the Ogres. Great team, but I dont see them having any claim to the best team/duo titles.

There's no doubt that the Ogre's are the undisputed greatest duo in Halo esports. However no one can convince me that RoyBox is a better duo than Snakebite/Royal 2. Snakebite/Royal 2 won two world championships compared to RoyBox's one national championship and the former's average event placings are way higher than the latter.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Tox is in the top 3 best halo teams of all time easy. I’ll put them comfortably at second, depending on whether you consider H2 final boss a different “team” then 2010 H3 final boss.

Theres just too many what ifs when it comes to some teams and their place in the all time greatest teams list. I mean what if H2A had gone on for 3 years? Would that Roybox, Snipedown, and Lethul team then be in the conversation?

the reason that I think we're in trouble (somewhat) is that 343 is investing the bare minimum --- middling prize pools for second-tier tournament organizers, a few emotes/skins or whatever for our four 'biggest' (peaking at 400 viewers!) Halo content creators, and nothing else.  also most of the top pros will leave for CoD, and I strongly doubt that orgs will stay around to fly Goofy and Gabriel to compete for $10k at Gamers for Giving.  it's great that the scene isn't dying but I was hoping for way more investment on 343's part; MLG-sponsored multi-game events (H1 2v2, H3 4v4), bigger prize pools, etc.  

I don't see it that way.  Before, they were trying to build the scene from the top-down by just throwing a shitton of money at it.  Now at least they are trying to grow it from the bottom up.  They have basically been forced to scale back and grow because of their previous failures trying to start big and i think that could be a good thing.  The best thing for Halo really.  Foster an infrastructure at a low cost over time for the next 2 years, then utilize that structure to make Halo Infinite a wholly better experience from day one.  Of course, all of that is moot if Infinite itself sucks so my expectations are... tempered to say the least

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just realized there's no H3 hardcore playlist. Isn't it kind of a weird thing to run a competitive H3 2v2, then announce two Halo 3 tournaments, and not have a competitive Halo 3 playlist in MCC?

I just realized there's no H3 hardcore playlist. Isn't it kind of a weird thing to run a competitive H3 2v2, then announce two Halo 3 tournaments, and not have a competitive Halo 3 playlist in MCC?

I may be wrong, but I believe MLG settings will be available as options in match composer. No ranks, but with the rank restriction of ten levels, plus the relatively low popularity at the moment, it would probably be the only way to find games.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Surely they wouldn't let us go from H5 back to classic only to make Infinite H5 movement again?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I may be wrong, but I believe MLG settings will be available as options in match composer. No ranks, but with the rank restriction of ten levels, plus the relatively low popularity at the moment, it would probably be the only way to find games.

I haven't played MCC in a while did they remove all of the competitive playlist? Guess theres no point to get xbox gold again then.

Surely they wouldn't let us go from H5 back to classic only to make Infinite H5 movement again?

This is what I'll be telling myself everyday until Infinite is revealed. 

What? I played H3 hardcore last night for hours in a party of 4.

I haven't played MCC in a while did they remove all of the competitive playlist? Guess theres no point to get xbox gold again then.

There's now "Find games" which is social mixtaping. Then there's "Competetive games" which contain playlists(w/ ranks.)

E: nvm, the "competetive" playlists aren't competetive.

What? I played H3 hardcore last night for hours in a party of 4.

Loos like the only actual Halo 3 hardcore currently available is doubles. 

xiomhPz.png

So 343 announces the grassroots program including 2 upcoming halo 3 4v4 tournaments. Yesterday/last night a lot more people started playing the halo 3 hardcore playlist due to this news. I personally played for about 4 hours with a full party of 4 and found games near instantly. Now today they remove the Hardcore playlists. What in the actual fuck.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I would like to see crowd funding for the H3 events. That will create a real grassroots movement. 

I would like to see a multi-billion dollar corporation fund the events instead.

• Upvote (+1) 2

RIP hardcore.

I bet the H3 2v2 Hardcore get updated the 4v4 settings soonTM