CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I mainly see H5 as "WZA plus some other playlists when I get bored of WZA", the last couple weeks has been rough

I'm sure there being 7 DIFFERENT WZ PLAYLISTS the last few weeks didnt help.

lol

Anyone else think games like Red Dead are boring as hell?

Normally i would agree, but the world is so detailed and alive it's incredible. It's one of the best games ive ever playee
  • Upvote (+1) 3

waiting for the pc version of read dead will be the ultimate test of my discipline 

tenor.gif?itemid=4770145

look at Evadur/Guntype! they are very consistent. im super anxious to see how well they do up against the old guard

• Upvote (+1) 6

look at Evadur/Guntype! they are very consistent. im super anxious to see how well they do up against the old guard

This old vs. new guard thing reminds me of being a kid growing up in Maine when Bangor had an independent league baseball team, the Bangor Blue Ox (prolly shoulda been Oxen, ah, well). The Blue Ox had former Red Sox pitcher Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd at age 36, just decimating the entire league. He ended up going 10-0 against younger, talented players mostly due to the fact that he'd been in the majors. Even though he hadn't pitched there in almost five years, he'd pitched against the best of the best and it showed when he stepped into the independent league.

What this little nostalgia trip is saying is that I wouldn't expect a huge upheaval in the Halo 3 2v2. While these new guns have been playing consistently for the past 10 years or so because the competition isn't what it used to be. The old pros come back, break off the training wheels for a few weeks, and I think you'll see the skill gap return with a vengeance.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm also very curious to see how they perform at ATL.  I think that team (Evadur/Guntype) plus a few other solid pairs like Tusk/Fear and Saintly/Kountry are easy picks to make top 8 at this event.

And then the three squads I believe have the best shot at winning the whole thing are Gabriel/Fantasy, Roy/Flamesword, and Neighbor/Bestman.  Hard to see any of these players getting upset in the early rounds of the bracket.

My sleeper or darkhorse team for this tournament was going to be Cranium/NYSea but I'm not sure if those two are still attending together.

What this little nostalgia trip is saying is that I wouldn't expect a huge upheaval in the Halo 3 2v2. While these new guns have been playing consistently for the past 10 years or so because the competition isn't what it used to be. The old pros come back, break off the training wheels for a few weeks, and I think you'll see the skill gap return with a vengeance.

but here's the thing; they were all pros in 4v4, not 2v2.  there are similarities but it's the subtle differences that will lead to series wins.  i have Gab/Fantasy to win the whole thing (Evadur just isn't good enough, though I love the guy)

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's always been pretty vocally supportive of the H2/H3 ranking system and games in general. Seems to be in the mind like most of us here that after that the series puked all over itself and hasn't had a good game from the start since. My own 2 cents, I think both of those systems were great, and I also liked BO2's system (removing modders,booters, standbyers, and all cheaters really from all three systems). I think they've all got their merit and for the life of me I can't figure out why those two series have veered so far away from them. Halo 5's ranking system was horseshit from the beginning in my eyes and broken as hell to boot.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This old vs. new guard thing reminds me of being a kid growing up in Maine when Bangor had an independent league baseball team, the Bangor Blue Ox (prolly shoulda been Oxen, ah, well). The Blue Ox had former Red Sox pitcher Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd at age 36, just decimating the entire league. He ended up going 10-0 against younger, talented players mostly due to the fact that he'd been in the majors. Even though he hadn't pitched there in almost five years, he'd pitched against the best of the best and it showed when he stepped into the independent league.

i love this... it's spot on

for the past 20 years developers have increasingly become aware of the psychological benefits of rewarding every single behavior a player makes... participation trophies are the wave of the future. dopamine hits be too stronk. look at cod, destiny and overwatch - you are spoiled to death! players are starting to ignore the fundamentals. they don't want to be punished for trying to improve. 

i went into halo2 hardcore, had a horrible day and deranked from 38 to 30. that next day after my night terrors and countless daydreams of what i could've done to improve i hopped back on and reached 39. the sense of accomplishment matched with what it did to my psyche was incredible! doc is 100% right - the very best system

• Upvote (+1) 5

Finally booted up H5 and it all makes sense: They put BTB Fiesta at the top 3 of the playlists and real BTB is at the bottom. Good ol' 343 generating all this unbiased data to draw conclusions from :kappa:.

Also this playlist just gives people random access to all REQ weapons and vehicles that is usually locked behind a paywall in WZ. Which is another huge pull factor. Also the novelty aspect: BTB hasn't been updated in months (years?) while this playlist is fairly fresh. But go ahead Menke, BTB Fiesta is clearly the better playlist and real BTB needs to go.

• Upvote (+1) 2

10 casters to me is just crazy, remember when it was just 2.

for the past 20 years developers have increasingly become aware of the psychological benefits of rewarding every single behavior a player makes... participation trophies are the wave of the future. dopamine hits be too stronk. look at cod, destiny and overwatch - you are spoiled to death! players are starting to ignore the fundamentals. they don't want to be punished for trying to improve. 

i went into halo2 hardcore, had a horrible day and deranked from 38 to 30. that next day after my night terrors and countless daydreams of what i could've done to improve i hopped back on and reached 39. the sense of accomplishment matched with what it did to my psyche was incredible! doc is 100% right - the very best system

Wait, you mean to tell me you found H2 Hardcore matches in current MCC?!?

Nope.  I think Red Dead is one of the best implementations.  Its open world enough to give you a sense of scale and let you tool around on  your own enough, but also on rails enough to keep the narrative going in a purposeful direction.  A lot of open world games are TOO open imo. In those you keep doing stuff because you keep getting distracted. You can get away from the main story for so long that when you go back to it you don't feel invested anymore.  In Red Dead you keep doing stuff because you are driven to do stuff.  Horizon Zero Dawn pulled this off pretty well too (as well as building a slick as hell world).  Even if you're not into open world RPGs, i would still give Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 a shot.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Nope.  I think Red Dead is one of the best implementations.  Its open world enough to give you a sense of scale and let you tool around on  your own enough, but also on rails enough to keep the narrative going in a purposeful direction.  A lot of open world games are TOO open imo. In those you keep doing stuff because you keep getting distracted. You can get away from the main story for so long that when you go back to it you don't feel invested anymore.  In Red Dead you keep doing stuff because you are driven to do stuff.  Horizon Zero Dawn pulled this off pretty well too (as well as building a slick as hell world).  Even if you're not into open world RPGs, i would still give Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 a shot.

I've been watching one of my mates play RD2 since its release and it just looks so boring. I fail to understand what makes it fun. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Depends on what you're talking about, I haven't played it but I've watched a little bit of gameplay and played the first one; The world looks great and it responds to what you do, the character controls have always been bad in Rockstar games ever since GTA:SA, and it's a part of a bigger picture of things that RDR2 does that I don't very much enjoy; it chooses realism over fun.

If you want a great game in 2018 go check out "The Missing: J.J. etc..."(the title is too long for me to remember lol), it's a 3D game set in a 2D platformer environment where when you get hurt instead of losing health or dying you lose body parts that you can move. Add in that it's directed by SWER( who made Deadly Premonition & D4) and oh boy we've got a stew cookin'.

Skyrim, Witcher 3, and even the past two Assassin's Creed games do open-world very well ... I really don't think that Rockstar has figured it out (despite the sales figures for GTA5). 

Honestly I just don't get it with Rockstar ... the controls and gunplay are so bad that I literally can't enjoy the games.  Rockstar games in the past decade are just a set of mediocre mini-games (go golfing!  rob a bank!) in a mediocre open world, with pretty good writing (GTA5) or really good writing (RDR2).  But they've made literally $100 quadrillion so obviously I'm missing something

10 casters to me is just crazy, remember when it was just 2.

2 casters would be crazy unless there is zero budget. All 10 people in that tweet are not casters. Lottie is a host. Clutch is an analyst at the desk. Gaskin does interviews. Wonderboy is an observer. Let's say 5-6 casters rotating through. Maybe there will even be a Bravo stream...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember when Halo started giving medals for killing a sprinter, killing the guy that killed you, and even worse--simply getting a kill. Medals used to be rewarded because you did something flashy, difficult, or sneaky. Now every game each player has 40 medals they have earned. They don't have any meaning anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 5