FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Their priorities are supported by data, which is the more depressing thing.  They're doing this because it's what people are playing.  People play Halo for fun more than for competition.

A lot of people don't find the base game fun at all.

This whole "data" thing is a meme at this point and Menke especially is known to interpret data in however twisted way he wants and bends the stastistics to back up his own agenda. "Data" is just that, a bunch of numbers. It all lies in how one interprets that data and uses common sense (or not) to come to a conclusion what to do with this data. They are just using it as justification for their horrible short-sighted decision making. While these playlists might bring in more kids for a while, the game and franchise at large will just die off if they remove any form of competition and incentive to get better at the game.

Case in point: the half-assed MCC relaunch patch and the awful playlist management that came with it. What was their first conclusion? Let's start removing the lowest populated playlists. They were about to remove staples like CE 2v2, 4v4 and H2 HC, but lucky for us someone over there finally pulled his head out if his ass and now after 4 years they are finally working on mixtape matchmaking/filters.

If all you do is rely on "DaTa" to manage playlists, you can just remove the underpopulated playlists one by one until there's only Team Fiesta, Infection and Grifball left.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The more we hang out the more I love him, super awesome dude! Thanks mayne. Did you go to yours?

No, we have teamed at HCS events in the past though! Been playing together online for like the past 2 years as well. Met up IRL for drinks a couple of times which is a feat considering how far we live away from each other! haha

• Upvote (+1) 1

must be an absolute shitfest from how I can imagine it though. Yeah, let's just cut real BTB to make room for that garbage. Their priorities are all out of whack. Halo in 2018 my dudes.

It is. They couldn't kill BTB with regular Warzone for three years, but they're finally doing it by injecting Warzone weapons into BTB. They must be so happy considering we couldn't even get BTB at launch or any dev maps cause I'm sure they thought Warzone would replace it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Their priorities are supported by data, which is the more depressing thing.  They're doing this because it's what people are playing.  People play Halo for fun more than for competition.

Forge is the one redeeming quality of Halo 5. No wonder all the crazy maps/gametypes that have spawned from it are popular. 

as someone who has played ~3,000 games of Warzone Assault, I can confirm that I haven't been able to find a single game in two weeks (searching all times), glad to see it will be rotational so I can at least play occasionally.

MLG was always among the least populated playlists in H3, I don't think the average player of any game is looking for a super-competitive experience

• Upvote (+1) 7

MLG was always among the least populated playlists in H3, I don't think the average player of any game is looking for a super-competitive experience

yep. esports is the smallest percentage of any game

as someone who has played ~3,000 games of Warzone Assault, I can confirm that I haven't been able to find a single game in two weeks (searching all times), glad to see it will be rotational so I can at least play occasionally.

Come on dude get your data outta here

• Upvote (+1) 1

makes sense given h5 comp has always been pretty garbage. the exact same thing happened with reach. might be depressing but its not surprising.

This whole "data" thing is a meme at this point and Menke especially is known to interpret data in however twisted way he wants and bends the stastistics to back up his own agenda. "Data" is just that, a bunch of numbers. It all lies in how one interprets that data and uses common sense (or not) to come to a conclusion what to do with this data. They are just using it as justification for their horrible short-sighted decision making. While these playlists might bring in more kids for a while, the game and franchise at large will just die off if they remove any form of competition and incentive to get better at the game.

Case in point: the half-assed MCC relaunch patch and the awful playlist management that came with it. What was their first conclusion? Let's start removing the lowest populated playlists. They were about to remove staples like CE 2v2, 4v4 and H2 HC, but lucky for us someone over there finally pulled his head out if his ass and now after 4 years they are finally working on mixtape matchmaking/filters.

If all you do is rely on "DaTa" to manage playlists, you can just remove the underpopulated playlists one by one until there's only Team Fiesta, Infection and Grifball left.

To be fair, I think Josh Menke means well. For these playlists, he states that for most of a day you literally cannot find a match in the playlists they're looking to remove.

I'm not happy about it either, but if people literally cannot find games in the playlist most of the time I don't know what the solution is. It just sucks that our minority, which is the original Halo experience that we bought into, is slowly disappearing. For what it's worth as well, super fiesta has been at the top of the popularity list for at least a few months now so I think there's potential that these top playlists are what the current core Halo audience wants.

I can only speak for myself, but I was extremely tilted when they said they would remove Halo 2 hardcore because I had yet to find a match in it and I wanted to play it, then I realized if there's almost nobody playing that playlist do we really need to keep it around? I've only tried a couple more times since they announced it would be removed, but I still have never found a game.

-----------

I like TiberiusAudley's points about it, this says a lot about the audience currently playing Halo 5. They want heavily skewed, random, party mode versions of the game, not the base game itself. You can interpret that however you like, whether you think it's because the base game isn't enjoyable, whether you think it's because modern audiences don't want to improve at the game, whether it's the ranking system being off-putting for playing with friends, whatever. I'm sure there's a lot of ways you can interpret it.

This almost reminds me of my experience playing Team Fortress 2, everybody I know joined random party game lobbies for the most part, that or extremely casual matchmaking. There was a competitive scene for the game, but at least among the people I know who played not a single one of them cared. It almost seems that way for Halo right now, very few seem to care about the competitive aspects but the high customization allows people to get a variety experience out of the game that allows them to play something other than a console arena shooter, and the console arena shooter that we care about is one of the least popular aspects of this variety experience right now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can’t believe none of you dweebs posted this.

Frosty, in his first MLG CoD 2k (Online :wutface: ) placed 9-16, which is exactly the same as what Formal placed. Pretty awesome to see the transition go so well for him. Placing are at the bottom of the article, after the Optic Gaming fellatio fest.

https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty/op-tic-gaming-win-first-na-cwl-2k-tournament-of-black-ops-4-season---recap-and-final-placements-211212

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, but Team Slayer and Social Slayer used to be the most popular.

team slayer is still the #2 playlist in H5 though, right?  team fiesta has always been the most fun Halo social gametype (90% of the Reach LANs at my house involved 6v6 fiesta), it's also very fun in H5 ... basically the sweatiness of H5 social is overcome by the variance/randomness of spawning with Nornfang + Answer versus Boltshot + AR, it adds the 'social' aspect that is missing from literally every other playlist in the game.  the lesson to be drawn from the popularity of Super Fiesta is that the average social playlist shouldn't be so sweaty (H5 Quick Play raises my heart rate more than H3 MLG). 

anyway, basically all that happened is = Social Slayer was replaced in the top 2 playlists by a more fun social version of slayer

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its hard to compare Halo 3 playlist popularity to Halo 5. If Halo 3 had the halo 5 party gametypes I'm sure it would've been at the top as well. Also, you can't fake data. Menke isn't lying and he has the stats to back it up.  MLG has always been the least popular playlist. Now we have it as the 9th most popular playlist which is an improvement.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The headline (top of page) for the Astro tournament is misspelled (ASTRP). @@CyReN

Too much Red Dead has hurt my eyes lol, got it!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Too much Red Dead has hurt my eyes lol, got it!

Hmm, you mean Halo 5 Guardians of course.

ASTRP was a thing, pretty cool.

p16630coll21332-1000.jpeg

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not strictly competitive related, but Josh Menke has shared some thoughts on the future of playlists in Halo 5 as well as ranked them in terms of popularity. Things that may be interesting to you, Warzone Assault will be switching to rotational, also BTB may become rotational as well since most BTB players have switched to Super Fiesta BTB.

Top five playlists:

Super Fiesta

Slayer

Castle Wars

Big Team Super Fiesta

Heroic Warzone Firefight

9th place: Team Arena

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update-–-november-5/8a0727f1-8591-43f7-855f-32a28f17e669/posts?page=1

RIP WZA. literally my favorite thing in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 3

RIP WZA. literally my favorite thing in H5.

I mainly see H5 as "WZA plus some other playlists when I get bored of WZA", the last couple weeks has been rough

• Upvote (+1) 1

Get off Halo, forget about the playlists and popularity of a 3 year old game, play Red Dead Redemption 2.

Boom. Solved.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can’t believe none of you dweebs posted this.

Frosty, in his first MLG CoD 2k (Online :wutface: ) placed 9-16, which is exactly the same as what Formal placed. Pretty awesome to see the transition go so well for him. Placing are at the bottom of the article, after the Optic Gaming fellatio fest.

https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty/op-tic-gaming-win-first-na-cwl-2k-tournament-of-black-ops-4-season---recap-and-final-placements-211212

Nice to see Frosty doing his thing.

Is Halo Splyce competing in COD still? I know they're unable to have Shotzzy atm because of the age thing, but are they competing under Splyce or Splyce Halo? And did they compete in the 2k?

Is Halo Splyce competing in COD still? I know they're unable to have Shotzzy atm because of the age thing, but are they competing under Splyce or Splyce Halo? And did they compete in the 2k?

They are.  They're currently playing with TeddyRecks and Ramby (formerly of Lethal Gaming, finished top 16 at Worlds 2018).  They are...not doing so well yet.

Their team name is Splyce Black.  They went out in the round of 128 in the most recent 2k (meaning they finished 65-128)

• Upvote (+1) 1

they competed under splyceblack2 and made it to the 4th round of the 2k 

http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/ps4/call-of-duty-black-ops-4/tournament/NA-cwl-2000-series-11-04

• Upvote (+1) 1