CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

With all the time since the last Halo release, Infinite needs to be a success. 343 needs to conclude Master Chiefs story and has alot of pressure to create a amazing multiplayer. I would rather 343 take extra time to develop Infinite because it's do or die for this franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With all the time since the last Halo release, Infinite needs to be a success. 343 needs to conclude Master Chiefs story and has alot of pressure to create a amazing multiplayer. I would rather 343 take extra time to develop Infinite because it's do or die for this franchise.

I'm not really sure 343 needs to conclude MCs story if they want to continue being a studio. Not that other Halo stuff doesn't sell at all but you don't really see Nintendo in a hurry to get rid of Link or Mario. Really the multiplayer and stuff has a ton of pressure but if they actually stop for a second and just put out the game people want to play instead of the creative new take that nobody asks for they'll probably do fine

• Upvote (+1) 1

What makes you think that Infinite will come out in 2020?

The fact they have literally nothing to show or talk about. All the big conferences went by without any news. If Bonnie Ross can be trusted, every Halo game moving forward will have a beta. If they want to do an actual beta (and not a glorified network test like most devs) then said beta would have to take place in spring 2019 for a fall 2019 release. Well, where's the announcement?

• Upvote (+1) 3

^ i agree with this guy cause this is literally what i said weeks ago

They are still hiring ppl for the engine and for big positions at the company, theres no way this game comes out next year and honestly thats probably a good thing, the last thing we need is another half baked halo game

• Upvote (+1) 5

I still  hope it comes out sometimes in the March - August 2020 timeframe, but yeah there is no way that it comes out in 2019 unless they are somehow splitting the game into multiple components which i think would be a mistake.  They really need to have a long flighting process with multiple betas over time.

I realize everyone is frustrated, but I don't think you guys understand how this industry works. The fact that they're not announcing a slew of details doesn't mean they haven't done anything (nor does the fact that there are still job positions open) -- it only means that they don't want to prematurely commit themselves to the game looking a certain way. 

They are likely still experimenting with mechanics, feature sets, and everything else that will define the gameplay experience. 343i knows as well as anyone that Halo Infinite has to hit a high bar. You should be excited that they're still experimenting, because that means they're working on things that they're not quite sure they can pull off.

And frankly, whatever they put out at this point would create a storm in the community. People would be judging everything about the game ahead of time, for good and bad, without having seen a second of actual gameplay. 343i doesn't need that on their plates, they have a game to finish. It sucks, but good games take time (FFS, look at the Elder Scrolls! It's been SEVEN YEARS since Skyrim was released and all we have is a 15-second announcement trailer featuring a marsh.)

Pros have dealt with this before. They'll adapt and follow the money like they always have,.

This is the worst possible outcome I could have imagined that moving forward. The fact that they don't even have event dates to give us or prize pools speaks a lot about how bad this is. Say bye to players like Shotzzy and Frosty till Infinite if not forever.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm more concerned about what they're going to show when the time comes, not the fact that they're not showing anything right now. 

If there's no classic component, I'd bet this franchise is cooked. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I realize everyone is frustrated, but I don't think you guys understand how this industry works. The fact that they're not announcing a slew of details doesn't mean they haven't done anything (nor does the fact that there are still job positions open) -- it only means that they don't want to prematurely commit themselves to the game looking a certain way. 

They are likely still experimenting with mechanics, feature sets, and everything else that will define the gameplay experience. 343i knows as well as anyone that Halo Infinite has to hit a high bar. You should be excited that they're still experimenting, because that means they're working on things that they're not quite sure they can pull off.

And frankly, whatever they put out at this point would create a storm in the community. People would be judging everything about the game ahead of time, for good and bad, without having seen a second of actual gameplay. 343i doesn't need that on their plates, they have a game to finish. It sucks, but good games take time (FFS, look at the Elder Scrolls! It's been SEVEN YEARS since Skyrim was released and all we have is a 15-second announcement trailer featuring a marsh.)

Pros have dealt with this before. They'll adapt and follow the money like they always have,.

I've felt this way since Halo 5 and looking back on MCC. If they had spent more time on H2A and MCC - we could've had something incredible from day 1. Halo 5 was a smooth experience from the start and kept getting better. I am very optimistic about them taking more time with Infinite. In the mean time they fixed MCC so we get to enjoy ACTUAL LAN and throwback tournaments.. I don't see the negatives but then again I've been in the trenches of the worst times Halo ever had and this is nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've felt this way since Halo 5 and looking back on MCC. If they had spent more time on H2A and MCC - we could've had something incredible from day 1. Halo 5 was a smooth experience from the start and kept getting better. I am very optimistic about them taking more time with Infinite. In the mean time they fixed MCC so we get to enjoy ACTUAL LAN and throwback tournaments.. I don't see the negatives but then again I've been in the trenches of the worst times Halo ever had and this is nothing.

i have a feeling that infinite was scrapped and is being rebuilt for a more classic experience. i dont remember where the quote was but i believe it was frankie that said that the next halo will build off the mechanics of h5. which is good and bad imo. its good because finally we should get the game we've been wanting. its bad that its come at the cost of 3 bad launches and the slow death of the pro scene after us expressing the same desire for a classic game from the company that gave us nbns reach

better late than never though and hopefully it will be good enough to bring a lot of fans back

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone know the tick rate for mcc and halo 5 servers? tons of drama on the new cod about that and i was just wondering what halo was running at

Anyone know the tick rate for mcc and halo 5 servers? tons of drama on the new cod about that and i was just wondering what halo was running at

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3jbpip/halo_5_server_tick_rate/ Says it's probably 60hz. Which is probably correct tbh. Honestly most of the time the hit reg is pretty good in H5.

Just don't listen to Royal 2 or Frosty hahaha. "WHERE ARE MY BULLETS GOING DUUUUUDE?!"

• Upvote (+1) 1

For those who don't know, Treyarch ran the MP beta at 60 Hz and now the full game runs at 20 Hz, resulting in the usual CoD shenanigans of getting knifed by people who should be dead, dying around corners etc. Allegedly they did this to make the transition to Blackout easier (always ran at 20 Hz).

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3jbpip/halo_5_server_tick_rate/ Says it's probably 60hz. Which is probably correct tbh. Honestly most of the time the hit reg is pretty good in H5.

Just don't listen to Royal 2 or Frosty hahaha. "WHERE ARE MY BULLETS GOING DUUUUUDE?!"

Ya, h5 online is honestly really fucking good. Just the aiming thing really messed with the game. Even frosty said after they announced atl was h5s last event that he loves h5 and thinks its a really good game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For those who don't know, Treyarch ran the MP beta at 60 Hz and now the full game runs at 20 Hz, resulting in the usual CoD shenanigans of getting knifed by people who should be dead, dying around corners etc. Allegedly they did this to make the transition to Blackout easier (always ran at 20 Hz).

If that is the only reason its 20 I would be so upset if I were a competitive CoD player. There are no upsides to that exchange

I think 343's path going forward as a studio is really going to depend on how they manage their resources going forward. A big problem with H5 is it was released right before dev's started figuring out how to do "games as a service" correctly and as a result they had their content map laid out with no wiggle room. To be fair they were pretty overworked for the 2 years prior to H5's release and for a while after resulting in features missing at H5's launch. I also think 343 was pretty poorly managed throughout the early life of H5. Be it pride or ignorance they failed to push meaningful balance updates, a critical part of the "games as a service" structure, and chose to re-purpose that team towards new Warzone weapons (sidenote: Warzone was clearly 343's vision for H5's continuing endgame, picking to devote more resources to that over arena). I also believe that a big reason Halo Infinite will be a 2020 game and not a 2019 game is that the amount of employee turnover at 343. From the game lead leaving and being replaced to a wide variety of title changes to the many new hires it seems that 343 is trying to expand, but that certainly slows things a bit at least initially. 

On the upside, I think a lot of the issues I've highlighted are issues 343 has actively tried to fix. Infinite by title alone seems to be a more open ended game. If that includes a story expansion and some actual endgame content even better. But more important than that are constant expansion and balance updates to the multiplayer. That model has seen success for a while though, beating the success seen by more classically reliable money makers like COD. The new hires will eventually be able to maintain and create expansion content on top whatever comes next. I expect the slipspace engine is developed with constant updates in mind, as opposed to H5 where you'd see 10GB updates for weapon balance changes. Slipspace is also obviously developed with multiplatform development in mind which is a win in and of itself. 

In the end I think if 343 works out their internal issues Halo Infinite has more opportunities for success regardless of how classic its gameplay is, or what its competitive scene looks like.

• Upvote (+1) 2