CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

the pro scene died in 2013 but came back with no problem, I’m not worried about that ... as long as Infinite is good/popular it’ll be fine

• Upvote (+1) 9

Wait the H3 tournament doesn't get its own stream so I have to sit through the H5 snoozefest in order to watch it? Lmao. You just know they're going to use the low numbers as an excuse to not do any further MCC tournaments. What a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here is what I'm hoping happens:

1. Grassroots tournaments bring classic Halo fans out of the woodworks, grow the community, bring back nostalgia and excitement for Halo, and wash the bad taste out of everyone's mouth from Halo 5
  2. After step 1 is complete, 343 releases Halo: Infinite and points everyone to it like yo this is classic Halo just like what you've been playing only better
  3. Halo: Infinite is a big success out of the gate

Not sure I believe that could actually happen, and even if it does I don't think going a year + without major events is a good idea, but who knows. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wait, an API or a spectator mode?

That would have been insane if a console game in 2004 had a spectator mode.

its a really rough spectator mode. Mlg used it to make some of their "angle shots" for their mlg vods.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

i'm glad we're moving on from h5 and that infinite is being built for esports 

They said this about H5 too.

I'm not exactly brimming with confidence. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

They said this about H5 too.

I'm not exactly brimming with confidence. 

And H2A and Halo 4, lmao. I still remember when...

Dan Aboob: "Oh yeah, we reimagined Relic for eSports, Pros we'll love it!"

Pros: "Lol, we hate the map actually"

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did they ever say H4 was built with Competitive in mind? From what I remember, 343 was pretty obviously a more social shooter right from trailer 1

Did they ever say H4 was built with Competitive in mind? From what I remember, 343 was pretty obviously a more social shooter right from trailer 1

Kind of yes, kind of no. It was marketed towards the competitive audience with some of their pre-release stuff they did. The Halo 4 event at MLG Dallas 2012, at E3 they invited pros to go play the game and used that for promotion. During those times, I'm sure they said things like they are interested in competitive play, I remember they specifically said they were going to have everything unlocked for LAN play which ended up not being true. To me, it was with the last point when I realized that they didn't just miss the mark with the design but that they didn't care about the game surviving for competitive play.

They didn't "build it with competitive in mind" like they did with Halo 5. With Halo 5 it was clear from the start that they were marketing towards our audience, even if they didn't hit the mark. They talked about it in blogs, talked about it in interviews, talked about it everywhere. They gave us spectator mode, had a tournament structure in mind starting with the game's launch, made an intentional choice for the competitive settings. They didn't care about any of that for Halo 4.

I think H2A was built to be competitive, it was just rushed too much with MCC (and with too few maps).

Point still stands though, we've heard this from 343 before.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait the H3 tournament doesn't get its own stream so I have to sit through the H5 snoozefest in order to watch it? Lmao. You just know they're going to use the low numbers as an excuse to not do any further MCC tournaments. What a joke.

Not to mention the amount of pros that won't be playing in the H3 tourney since they'll be playing H5 instead, that will probably hurt the viewership too. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I refuse to believe H2A was built for competitive. If they said that they lied through their teeth. 3 maps, hit markers, ridiculously large hitboxes, high auto aim/magnetism, and many other issues.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I refuse to believe H2A was built for competitive. If they said that they lied through their teeth. 3 maps, hit markers, ridiculously large hitboxes, high auto aim/magnetism, and many other issues.

To be fair. Every game needs some form of social factors. To help bridge socials player into the competitive environment. Or else you'll get a game with to high of a bar for entry alla shadow run.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I refuse to believe H2A was built for competitive. If they said that they lied through their teeth. 3 maps, hit markers, ridiculously large hitboxes, high auto aim/magnetism, and many other issues.

343 has a history of lying. They also said mcc would have open api and play exactly how we remembered it. They also said halo 4 would get open api and ranks at some point. One never happened and the ranks didnt even function like ranks.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Alright here's a thought. Microsoft stores and Mixer are partnering dor a "$55k Fortnite regional tournament" or something along those lines.

I doubt we get that high of a prize pool, but there's another idea for the "major grassroots events".

Alright here's a thought. Microsoft stores and Mixer are partnering dor a "$55k Fortnite regional tournament" or something along those lines.

I doubt we get that high of a prize pool, but there's another idea for the "major grassroots events".

I think with the amount of prize money in halo 5, it just proves that prize money isn't too big of a deal to viewers. Games like smash get maybe $20k for a major and pull a ton of viewers. As long as the events are seen as prestigious, and the game is good, prize money isnt too big of a deal. Assuming we play halo 3, and it is advertised even remotely well, I  think the viewer numbers will increase purely based off of nostalgia. And orgs/sponsors only really care about viewer numbers.

Well halo 5 is finally dead.

I am kind of amazed to see so many people still posting, i mean i gave up after the second world championship, and that was more than a year and a half ago.

Halo 5 is dead and thats understandable, the game has had an abysmal audience since it's second year. Why would any company invest more into it at this point.

The largest most influential e-sport personality of the year has left the scene and openly bashes the game and the developer.

The player count is awful, the sponsorships have to have dried up, Larger org's abandoning the scene left and right and the hype surrounding the scene has been dead for a loooooooong time.

But now, we have more pro's trying their hand at cod, of which the most likely to succeed is frosty as he has teamed with top amateurs, and people who have enjoyed success previously. Combine that with the fact that the talent pool in cod has condensed with the 5v5 format, and he has a real shot of making the pro league, as now there are maybe 10 super teams, and the rest is average at best, so we could easily see frosty make the league. if he and the splyce members see any kind of success, that is another blow to halo as why would they leave, contracts are insane in cod with some players earning more than 100k a year (salary alone).

I think too much damage has been done, halo is no longer marketable, i do not know how anyone can remain optimistic at this point, honestly the halo scene is in the worst spot it has ever been in, it has less value now than it did during the agl days, as we have nothing going for us. Gears of War is more marketable at this point than halo, honestly this break may be the best thing for halo, save your resources and try and come back stronger, personally i have zero faith that 343 will be able to turn this around.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I try to remain optimistic but 343 moves at a snail's pace and usually in the wrong direction.

I am sure they are all nice people but the company itself cannot make changes quickly enough or choose the right ones - here's hoping for the best.

BTW I don't who has watched Shottzy stream COD but I'm a believer that he is going to be next level at it. I don't know as a team how they'll do but his movement and shot is something that stands out compared to other COD pro's streams I've watched.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I try to remain optimistic but 343 moves at a snail's pace and usually in the wrong direction.

I am sure they are all nice people but the company itself cannot make changes quickly enough or choose the right ones - here's hoping for the best.

BTW I don't who has watched Shottzy stream COD but I'm a believer that he is going to be next level at it. I don't know as a team how they'll do but his movement and shot is something that stands out compared to other COD pro's streams I've watched.

I would agree with you, but shotzy is hampered by his age, he will not be able to start competing right away as a result which may hurt his chances at getting onto a more recognizable and accomplished  cod team.

The worst part about 343 is that they are slow. Really really slow. Even Bungie has sped up with Destiny and now Destiny 2. 343 still moves so slow with news, updates etc.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The worst part about 343 is that they are slow. Really really slow. Even Bungie has sped up with Destiny and now Destiny 2. 343 still moves so slow with news, updates etc.

3 cod games have been released during Halo 5 and we still have no clue on when Infinite is coming. Slow is an understatement. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

3 cod games have been released during Halo 5 and we still have no clue on when Infinite is coming. Slow is an understatement. 

I think people would be okay with Halo taking a break, because IMO it is much needed. The franchise has been oversaturated with all these shitty and/or rushed games and we really need that one solid game we haven't had in over 11 years to stay relevant and not become the Sonic of FPS. However, 343's communication about it has been once again abysmal. Nothing but radio silence about Infinite, they can't even tell us what year the game is coming out (2020 is looking more and more realistic). Meanwhile they are half-assedly fixing MCC and half-assedly running a throwback tournament for it. Because of their awful management they couldn't think ahead and hire CA or one of the other five studios that helped with MCC to make an H3A to bridge the gap to infinite. So the fanbase gets left waiting for years with nothing to show.

All in all I'm cautiously optimistic for Infinite gameplay wise, but man 343 never change when it comes to community interaction, playlist management, tournament structure and the like.

I wonder if yearly releases that all tried different things wouldn't be a good way for 343i to get on track.

It's irrelevant to think about though because they aren't capable of it anyways, it takes them a year just to add one fucking gamemode for some reason, they're definitely not capable of releasing games every year.

But just repeating the same thoughts ad infinitum at this point.