CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Was old messages going through some and found what I look

Is this what it looks like when a loved one goes senile?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is this what it looks like when a loved one goes senile?

I anything can’t do right since because pickles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2007 the GOAT year of video games.

Halo 3 had no competition though ammirite guys?!?!

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think when people say H3 had no competition by comparison they're right but not in the way they think they are. Halo at one point pushed the envelope for what you could even do with an online FPS on consoles and while there were other good games it set the standard as far as social gameplay, matchmaking and the supporting systems. Afterwards with Reach onwards the competition borrowed a lot of ideas, bungie left, we stopped innovating and started struggling to get all of the features, maps and modes actually in Halo games at launch. Basically Halo stagnated and slipped back feature wise just a bit where the rest of the gaming world moved forward. CoD4/MW2 vs H3 compared to 2018 CoD vs H5 is extremely lopsided by comparison. Its not that everything else sucked, its that Halo was actually good back then.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have some ideas for HCS if anyone from the HCS or MLG team is reading this. 1. For online 2ks, you should join the calls of the pro teams to do listen ins online. Maybe set up a discord server where you invite every team and can drag them into a blue team and red team voice channel for their matches. 2. If T2 isn't an option, I think you guys should see if Towey is busy during Atlanta. Ive seen him show interest in casting HCS, and think he would be really good. You could even ask some retired H5 pros like victory x or roybox and see if they would be interested because insight from pros is always amazing. Just a thought, it might be too late in the season for you guys to actually do these things idrk how far ahead things like these are planned.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2007 was halo 2 though with the release of h3.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 on LAN is SO SWEET. Who dominated their respective kingdoms today? 

I did okay, everybody who I asked to team with was busy so I flew solo and teamed with a Microsoft store employee. Didn't do too hot but this guy played very little Halo, and zero competitive Halo. A friend of mine had to leave early so I switched teams to continue with his teammate and took second.

We had several new faces. A couple of them were from out of town but were visiting and chose to come hang out. Three of them were actually really good, two of them being brothers who were part of the Alberta scene back in the day. I asked them about a friend of mine who was around during that time and they said that they were stomped by him years ago at a tournament which was funny. The two brothers ended up taking finals in a 3-0 sweep against me and my new partner. Sadly I completely choked in the finals but it's the way it goes.

It is unfortunate though, I talked to the three new players who were really good and asked them if they were interested in coming to some of the private LANs we sometimes have. They all said they were interested only if it was Halo 3, which we have quite a few people who are fans in our local group but most of them will play another game as well, like these guys won't even come for Halo 2.

Regardless, still had a fun time. I don't really like Halo 3, so I wish I had a bit of variety over the next two MS LANs, but I'm happy to see some new faces out at our get togethers even if they'll only play one Halo.

How did yours go?

• Upvote (+1) 1

2007 was halo 2 though with the release of h3.

Right, Halo 3 had to compete with Modern Warfare, World at War with how huge Nazi Zombies was, then Modern Warfare 2 and stayed with the top 3 the whole time.  Only dropping from #1 usually shortly after the release of a big game and regaining the top sport shortly after. Plus there was a smattering of other popular shooters like battlefield and gears of war and some huge single player games (RDR, Fallout 3, GTA IV).  The "Halo 3 had no competition" argument is revisionist history by people making excuses for why Halo fell off a cliff, plain and simple.

• Upvote (+1) 9

CoD was just faster and easier to get kills on. I knew a lot of players who had greater success, liked the "real world" setting, and stuck around because of that, moreso than differences in features.

Right, Halo 3 had to compete with Modern Warfare, World at War with how huge Nazi Zombies was, then Modern Warfare 2 and stayed with the top 3 the whole time.  Only dropping from #1 usually shortly after the release of a big game and regaining the top sport shortly after. Plus there was a smattering of other popular shooters like battlefield and gears of war and some huge single player games (RDR, Fallout 3, GTA IV).  The "Halo 3 had no competition" argument is revisionist history by people making excuses for why Halo fell off a cliff, plain and simple.

The way I see it the competition for Halo is the long term gamer who has a preference to stick to a particular game, hence why the population for the original triology has always been so consistent. Obviously there are 'CoD kids' but I feel most of the gaming community treats that game like fast food; buy, consume and chuck away.

By the time Halo4 came around there were enough popular games with proven long term potential (SC2, LoL, Dota2, CSGO) that when the game was very obviously hot trash people actually had viable alternatives to go to. Then obviously Xbox shit the bed spectacularly in the console wars and people had another reason to invest in PC gaming where said titles were popular.

Now more than ever the multiplayer gaming market is saturated with quality experiences that offer longevity. The big three in DOTA / LoL / CSGO still exist but there's also OW / PUBG / Fortnite and the promise of quality and longevity in rising titles like R6 Siege.

I see that we're having our annual (semi-annual? bi-annual? daily?) discussion on "the state of competition for Halo in the late 00s." I haven't been around here that long and I've seen it so many times. 

In other news: 

Direct link to article: https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-cloud-gaming-exclusive/

Very interesting. To me, the technical challenges are obvious: latency and video compression. If both of those are bad, then competitive gaming is a no-no. It's weird to talk about competitive Halo from a phone or tablet, but mobile gaming has made a huge comeback imo, and this is forward thinking stuff. Will just have to see how the performance pans out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see that we're having our annual (semi-annual? bi-annual? daily?) discussion on "the state of competition for Halo in the late 00s." I haven't been around here that long and I've seen it so many times. 

In other news: 

Direct link to article: https://www.wired.com/story/xbox-cloud-gaming-exclusive/

Very interesting. To me, the technical challenges are obvious: latency and video compression. If both of those are bad, then competitive gaming is a no-no. It's weird to talk about competitive Halo from a phone or tablet, but mobile gaming has made a huge comeback imo, and this is forward thinking stuff. Will just have to see how the performance pans out.

Phones must be getting some mad upgrades for storage. I wonder how MCC would break on a phone. Brick the phone? Probably. 

Phones must be getting some mad upgrades for storage. I wonder how MCC would break on a phone. Brick the phone? Probably. 

Nah, it's cloud-based. The phone itself only does two things: display a live video stream from the cloud, and send the player's inputs back to the cloud. All the storage, processing, etc. happens on their servers.

Nah, it's cloud-based. The phone itself only does two things: display a live video stream from the cloud, and send the player's inputs back to the cloud. All the storage, processing, etc. happens on their servers.

Either way I really wanna see how bad this gets messed up. Not that I want it too. I just think it's an inevitability.

Game streaming will always be an inferior experience to gaming locally, cuz physics.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can only imagine the heavy aim playing H5 on a phone and streamed from the cloud.

:wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Game streaming will always be an inferior experience to gaming locally, cuz physics.

I wouldn't say always. Yes, using the speed of light as a constraint, the further your processing is done from your input/output (aka monitor + controller, or phone + touch screen, etc.), the greater the minimum possible latency will be. So, when you're playing at home on your Xbox, which is doing all the processing, there is a veryyy small delay between what you do and what the system sees. When you do it over the cloud, there is that additional transit time as the information is transferred to the remote servers to do the computing. 

However, the delay due to the speed of light is pretty small. Over a fiber connection, it's less than 8 ms per 1000 miles of cable. So if you have a perfect connection to a server cluster 500 miles ago, the round trip latency from the connection would be less than 8 ms, which is 0.008 seconds. At 60 FPS, we're talking about 1 frame every 1/60th of a second, which is 0.0167 seconds = 16.7 ms. So the "transport delay" of the connection is half of one 60 FPS frame. That does seem like a lot, considering that the system still needs to perform all necessary calculations before it can send the return signal. But remember that when you're playing online, you still have to communicate with the server every frame to negotiate your in-game state with respect to the states of all other players (when this goes bad, you see "rubber banding" and other types of things we call "lag"). So we already have some cloud related latencies in our current gaming experience.

But what the servers do now is much less than full physics calculations, which is what is done locally. So it's fair to expect greater latency for cloud based gaming vs. traditional MP servers. 

However, I think we can see great improvements than today's cloud gaming solutions due to: 1. increased server side computing performance, 2. increased network performance, and 3. increased computing distribution.

1. If the server side systems are much more powerful than your local box, they can complete all the necessary calculations per frame much faster than your local system. The transport delay will still apply. I'm not a game developer, so I don't know the bottleneck relationship in this situation: if the computing power increase outweighs the increase in delay, it's still a net positive.

2. As networks become better, connections will improve, and you'll approach the minimum possible latency, constrained by the speed of light. In practical terms, this means fiber (or possibly better) connections 100% of the way from server to your home.

3. Increasing the distribution of computing power means smaller distances from users to the servers. This could arise from building more Azure data centers or from building a network of smaller centers all over the country. I always imagined this would be the future of computing: even in your own home, you might have a centralized computing station, like a server, and other devices in your home just become network points with I/O devices.

With those 3 improvements, I think we can eventually reach a point where cloud-based gaming is practically indistinguishable from fully local gaming. Yes, the latency will never be as low due to physics, but the cloud could out-compute anything you have locally. 

How did yours go?

Really surprised on the turnout, about 20 people showed up. We had to do single elimination so each match was a nail biter. Dropped 20+ a game, went 8-0 overall map count and took home the bacon. LAN was so crispy, It felt like the crappy H3 battle rifle was a laser beam! 

I hope it's FORMAL

• Upvote (+1) 5

Really surprised on the turnout, about 20 people showed up. We had to do single elimination so each match was a nail biter. Dropped 20+ a game, went 8-0 overall map count and took home the bacon. LAN was so crispy, It felt like the crappy H3 battle rifle was a laser beam! 

I hope it's FORMAL

I would love to see flamesword and enable

• Upvote (+1) 3