CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I also miss Pro League, but it's kind of a chicken-egg problem because I don't think H5 ever had enough competitive momentum to sustain the league. "Relegation" is only dramatic if there's actually a chance that the bottom squad will lose their spot, and that wasn't ever a major issue even when OpTic got down there. I'm not sure why the MLG 2ks didn't fill this void for people (also, is MLG gone now?).

i agree with this. plus the hcs structure is an event every 3 or 4 months so why not try your hand in cod? there is nothing to lose. splyce doesnt really need the practice time and frosty will bable to stay on top even switching games. they will always be able to come back if they want.

as much as i hated esl, i do think they had a good thing with pro league. it unnecessarily shut out the AM scene with their set up but we had something to watch weekly with casters and all and gave pros a prize pool to work for between events. current set up just has us all sitting around waiting another month for the next event and wondering what will happen after atl

I also miss Pro League, but it's kind of a chicken-egg problem because I don't think H5 ever had enough competitive momentum to sustain the league. "Relegation" is only dramatic if there's actually a chance that the bottom squad will lose their spot, and that wasn't ever a major issue even when OpTic got down there. I'm not sure why the MLG 2ks didn't fill this void for people (also, is MLG gone now?).

Onlines relegation really shouldn't be the be all and end all in terms of drama, if anything it should be a juicy bonus. As you can see with franchise leagues like OWL the drama should be the relationship between the storied teams and really it is what you make it. I think at the time there were a number of issues with Pro League:

• The scene not being accepting of the format, not being ready for the saturation of games and/or being online.
  • The very clear cut nature of the compeition at the time, very few upsets and a lot of lopsided series (still reasonably problematic even today).
  • The sterile nature of the presentation; although some blame can be leveled at ESL I think we can all agree how much the presentation of casting / analysis etc has matured since that period.
  • The platform as a whole not being pushed by the developer / TO or really any Orgs.

You look back really and in a lot of different ways that was definitely not what you'd do when you think of running an online league. Just with how everything fell in the end, the really memorable storylines ended up being about controversy rather than the natural rivalries in competition.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Onlines relegation really shouldn't be the be all and end all in terms of drama, if anything it should be a juicy bonus. As you can see with franchise leagues like OWL the drama should be the relationship between the storied teams and really it is what you make it. I think at the time there were a number of issues with Pro League:

• The scene not being accepting of the format, not being ready for the saturation of games and/or being online.
  • The very clear cut nature of the compeition at the time, very few upsets and a lot of lopsided series (still reasonably problematic even today).
  • The sterile nature of the presentation; although some blame can be leveled at ESL I think we can all agree how much the presentation of casting / analysis etc has matured since that period.
  • The platform as a whole not being pushed by the developer / TO or really any Orgs.

You look back really and in a lot of different ways that was definitely not what you'd do when you think of running an online league. Just with how everything fell in the end, the really memorable storylines ended up being about controversy rather than the natural rivalries in competition.

I mean, I'd argue that Halo has always been top heavy.

Final Boss never placed outside the Top 2 in H2 (kind of like TOX now in H5.)

Halo 3 actually had a decent amount of parity, but it was rotated amongst 3 different teams (Instinct/tD/Final Boss)

I wasn't really here for Reach, but there was a team named "God Squad" (Instinct - Ogre 2/Pistola/Roy/Lunchbox)

In H2A, it was EG vs. CLG with EG getting the better of them most of the time.

I'm not saying it's not a problem or something that might be holding Halo back as an E-sport. I just think it's something that's always been a part of Halo, you know?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 3 actually had a decent amount of parity, but it was rotated amongst 3 different teams (Instinct/tD/Final Boss)

You may be underplaying Halo 3's 'parity' - Str8 Rippin won a decent number of tournaments, they were trading blows with tD for awhile (and won the 2008 National Championships).

I don't think Classic or Carbon ever won events, but one of them was usually in the top 4. And BtH won the 2009 National Championships as well. There were a lot of heavy hitters in Halo 3. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

So just now are they taking "feedback" to eventually refresh a playlist that hasn't been updated in over a year. What a joke. Can't wait for Infinite to come out and we have to play with broken settings for months to a year. BTW this has been a thing since 343 took over Halo and doesn't look like its going to change.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that 343 is this slow at doing anything about feedback. And when they do, they make a new thread on their website and ignore all the previous feedback they've gotten. Blows my mind. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

So what do you guys think the odds are we get Halo news at X018? For the uninformed, Xbox exclusive event going on November 10-11 that will feature a lot of announcements for upcoming Xbox games.

I'm not expecting a lot, but maybe a vertical slice showing a small gameplay demo?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/X018

So what do you guys think the odds are we get Halo news at X018? For the uninformed, Xbox exclusive event going on November 10-11 that will feature a lot of announcements for upcoming Xbox games.

I'm not expecting a lot, but maybe a vertical slice showing a small gameplay demo?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/X018

I’d say it’s an outside shot considering what we saw at E3. Unless they were just being conservative at what they showed then, it’s still a ways off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I'm currently working on a project that focuses around collegiate esports. Through Blizzard's Tespa, university's are playing in organized leagues in Overwatch, Rocket League, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Starcraft II, with other leagues being supported for games like LoL by Riot. Just the other night the official Rocket League twitch channel hosted the first week of league play for their college season through Tespa with schools such as Auburn, LSU, and Penn State playing with about 22k viewers.

This got me thinking, what are y'all's thoughts on Halo being played as a collegiate esport? The competition in most cases wouldn't be as high level, but it offers more programming and something to talk about. It could allow players in college to better get their name out to professional orgs. And the idea of school spirit; while I didn't go to LSU, I am from Louisiana and have always supported their athletics, so watching them the other night made me excited when they ended up beating a school rival in Auburn. 

As more universities are jumping into esports (for example, Akron is investing $750k into an esports department, while other major schools such as Boise State and UC Irvine have already gone all in) I think it only makes sense for more games and organizers to jump in on the action.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You may be underplaying Halo 3's 'parity' - Str8 Rippin won a decent number of tournaments, they were trading blows with tD for awhile (and won the 2008 National Championships).

I don't think Classic or Carbon ever won events, but one of them was usually in the top 4. And BtH won the 2009 National Championships as well. There were a lot of heavy hitters in Halo 3. 

I 100% missed Str8 Rippin, you are correct.

I will concede that H3 probably had the greatest amount of parity for all the Halo titles, but I do think my overall argument still stands.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I'm currently working on a project that focuses around collegiate esports. Through Blizzard's Tespa, university's are playing in organized leagues in Overwatch, Rocket League, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Starcraft II, with other leagues being supported for games like LoL by Riot. Just the other night the official Rocket League twitch channel hosted the first week of league play for their college season through Tespa with schools such as Auburn, LSU, and Penn State playing with about 22k viewers.

This got me thinking, what are y'all's thoughts on Halo being played as a collegiate esport? The competition in most cases wouldn't be as high level, but it offers more programming and something to talk about. It could allow players in college to better get their name out to professional orgs. And the idea of school spirit; while I didn't go to LSU, I am from Louisiana and have always supported their athletics, so watching them the other night made me excited when they ended up beating a school rival in Auburn. 

As more universities are jumping into esports (for example, Akron is investing $750k into an esports department, while other major schools such as Boise State and UC Irvine have already gone all in) I think it only makes sense for more games and organizers to jump in on the action.

If Colleges are going to invest into an E-Sport, I would think they would go with a sport that is least likely to flop and would probably be a PC game that could appeal to the masses a little better. (EX: League, CS, Dota, etc.)

Halo will always be a subpar esport as long as the games settings and mechanics continue to suck balls. No one wants to play Halo, so no one wants to watch it lmao. No amount of pretty lighting and pretty faces hosting it is going to make HCS any better if the game still sucks shit. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

"tons of upsets" is actually damaging to an esports scene. almost every success esports scene has their top dogs. and like others of said, halo 2 and 3 had 3 teams that really ever contenders for first. melee had 5 people who would win their events for 5 years, then it was 6. now it's 8 - 2 people who retired, so still 6. smash4 had 1 person then 2 people who could beat that 1 person. NA fucking sucks in CSGO yet there is a huge market for NA CSGO and it's scene is big. It is a shame that EU/AUS/SA never really broke out into a top team for h5. that would have brought the hype. 

Halo's biggest problems is that the population is really low, and as long as it's low, nothing we do will bring it among the top esports. Sure things can be better and we aren't pushing everything to it's limits, but that push isn't worth the effort without a population to back it up. population is more important than a good game. Fucking runescape's quasi-esports events broke 100k viewers on twitch now and it's not even a real esport, it's like a lottery among 2k players and no1 even cares, or knows, who wins, it's just fun to watch. and the prize money is 20k and not 1million. runescape's built up their own scene as their first esport event got like 20k viewers, it dropped, then it's rose exponentially the past 3 times. Though they did hire a COD caster to cast their event and actually have dev support. 

One day there will be a top/best team from other regions if Halo lasts long enough for the internet to get to the point where you can practice/play with people from any region with no huge downsides connection wise.

and the whole oldschool runescape thing is just a giant experiment that shows you can take a game that looks like trash and with the right developers and support you can crawl out of a hole 11 years old with an aged community that completely hates the developers. They legitimately took a build of the game from 2007 and released it after having ruined the main game and chased off more than half of their player base then proceeded to actually grow in popularity with it for the past 5 years while having a skeleton crew at best running the game for most of that time

"tons of upsets" is actually damaging to an esports scene.

I would tend to disagree. at TI, OG overhauling their roster, adding a popular streamer, then winning TI 2 months later was an insane story line. Upsets make for memorable events

One day there will be a top/best team from other regions if Halo lasts long enough for the internet to get to the point where you can practice/play with people from any region with no huge downsides connection wise.

and the whole oldschool runescape thing is just a giant experiment that shows you can take a game that looks like trash and with the right developers and support you can crawl out of a hole 11 years old with an aged community that completely hates the developers. They legitimately took a build of the game from 2007 and released it after having ruined the main game and chased off more than half of their player base then proceeded to actually grow in popularity with it for the past 5 years while having a skeleton crew at best running the game for most of that time

Old School Runescape is more popular than the shiny modern Runescape. Classic Halo won't be popular again my ass. 

I would tend to disagree. at TI, OG overhauling their roster, adding a popular streamer, then winning TI 2 months later was an insane story line. Upsets make for memorable events

If every event has some "upsets" then are they really upsets or is it just an inconsistent game? I think having a clear #1, 2, and 3 in an esport is really important. That being said, there needs to be upsets to those top 3 players and within those players. Using Melee as an example, there is a clear #1 player in Hungrybox who wins a lot, but also loses every once in awhile, and the events he loses are really hype, but they wouldn't be near as hype if he wasnt winning a lot of events prior to the ones he loses.

the prime example of competitive inconsistency ruining a game's storylines is CoD WW2 .... what a mess

• Upvote (+1) 2

#43. Halo  :mj:

That list would look a lot different if it included the millions of viewers on Twitter.  :lxthul:

For what it's worth, for all of 2017 Halo 5 was 18th on a similar list provided by that company with 2.5 million hours watched.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I 100% missed Str8 Rippin, you are correct.

I will concede that H3 probably had the greatest amount of parity for all the Halo titles, but I do think my overall argument still stands.

I would agree with you, but for basically all Halos. 

Really once STK/3D made their mark, they didn't drop a tournament except for once--transitioning between Halos until they hit the wall that was '06 Carbon. 

Even then they remained in the finals until the first Halo 3 event in '08. Since then STR8 and TD traded blows with a crazy upset from BTH in the nationals for '09. That was followed by a dominant run by Instinct, then Final Boss who were in 4 of 5 championship finals.

Those teams merged and dominated 2011 Reach...There really are just a few players through Halo's competitive history who have just been a dominant force for so long. Really interesting to look back at it after all these years and still see how strong the left their mark.