CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

A lot of older players from H3 and up were top talent in H5 but simply got tired of H5 and had other things in life going on. I understand the argument that if they were really good they would have stayed because they enjoyed the success but I feel like this list that the list above has a lot of players that were top 6 and top 8 caliber but just didn't enjoy the game that much or how the events and teams were being run. Now they are replaced by new talent but I really don't think the new talent is that much better than them if at all individually - mentally they were just brain dead from H5. 

Remember old Optic with Maniac and Flamesword? They got regulated and those two were obviously not that thrilled with the game, however, they managed to beat any of the incoming ams trying to take their spot.  

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A lot of older players from H3 and up were top talent in H5 but simply got tired of H5 and had other things in life going on. I understand the argument that if they were really good they would have stayed because they enjoyed the success but I feel like this list that the list above has a lot of players that were top 6 and top 8 caliber but just didn't enjoy the game that much or how the events and teams were being run. Now they are replaced by new talent but I really don't think the new talent is that much better than them if at all individually - mentally they were just brain dead from H5. 

Remember old Optic with Maniac and Flamesword? They got regulated and those two were obviously not that thrilled with the game, however, they managed to beat any of the incoming ams trying to take their spot.  

That's revisionist history.

Maniac and Flameword barely qualified and were a noticeable step behind everyone else.

Ace has floated around Top 6-12, with his best success being Top 4 with Eco, APG, & Heinz (Str8)

Saiyan

Renegade

Shotzzy

Penguin

StelluR

Trippey

Frosty

Neptune

Huke

Bubu

These guys are flat out better than the old-guard who no longer compete in H5 at a high level. You can tell by just watching them. I grew up in the H2 era, so I'll always hold the OG Halo pros in a very positive light, but I think you're crazy if you think the Halo players "got bored". That's just not how it went down IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

These guys are flat out better than the old-guard who no longer compete in H5 at a high level. You can tell by just watching them. I grew up in the H2 era, so I'll always hold the OG Halo pros in a very positive light, but I think you're crazy if you think the Halo players "got bored". That's just not how it went down IMO.

There is no way to prove it but there is a lot of evidence to support the lack of interest. Take the team "Leftovers" in the very beginning of H5 for example. It was Victory X and Cloudy Cloud with Spartan and Commonly. They ran through everyone during one online tournament and that is when Commonly was noticed by EG. The capability of the old guard is there, it's the love for the game that has diminished. Let's not forget that Roy and LBX made returns to the game multiple times and were still able to hang, each having full-time jobs and one being married.

Also.. APG, Heinz and Ace were a great team with Eco and Renegade; a top 3 team.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Really hope infinite doesnt suffer from the "20-40min game setup" that plagued halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is no way to prove it but there is a lot of evidence to support the lack of interest. Take the team "Leftovers" in the very beginning of H5 for example. It was Victory X and Cloudy Cloud with Spartan and Commonly. They ran through everyone during one online tournament and that is when Commonly was noticed by EG. The capability of the old guard is there, it's the love for the game that has diminished. Let's not forget that Roy and LBX made returns to the game multiple times and were still able to hang, each having full-time jobs and one being married.

Also.. APG, Heinz and Ace were a great team with Eco and Renegade; a top 3 team.

Victory X stopped competing when LG dropped him for Stellur and he didn't latch onto another team in the Pro League.

Team Allegiance was the #1 Seed from an entire series of Online Cups, they got curb-stomped by Optic.

Also, from my point of view, this is the most exciting time to watch H5 if nothing else because TOX/OG isn't curb stomping everyone. Teams are actually taking games off of TOX, and it makes for fun tournaments. 

The only team that has ever really truly toppled TOX/CLG/OG was Splyce, which is entirely compromised by new players.

In regards to LBX:

Lunchbox's best tournament placing after winning X-Games Gold (1st) was 3rd at a UMG Event (With Ninja, so you know it was a while ago) and then 5-6th quite a few times with RNG.

The same RNG team that replaced LBX & Ace with Penguin & Mikwen and went from a perrenial 5-6 team to a Top 3-4 team.

I'm not claiming these guys were completely washed or sucked, but as the game progressed, some pros did lose interest, but the game passed by a lot of them as well. There wasn't a single Pro who has retired this year who retired on top, that I can remember anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Victory X stopped competing when LG dropped him for Stellur and he didn't latch onto another team in the Pro League.

Lunchbox's best tournament placing after winning X-Games Gold (1st) was 3rd at a UMG Event (With Ninja, so you know it was a while ago) and then 5-6th quite a few times with RNG

vicx placed fourth at vegas shortly before he left the scene and lbx placed fifth (tie) at worlds before he left. the way competition is right now i see anywhere in top 8 for an older pro to be impressive. i say that because of the MASSIVE change in playstyle required to win and gameplay shift from h2a to h5.

as for tox - snakebite and royal2 were professional h3 players so idk where we draw the line of "old guard" (sb competed at 06 mlg events)

basically my stance is that top talent will stay top talent until they lose their will

I think a few of the very top H5 players who have mastered the mechanics / pistol / 1v1s in H5 will unfortunately drop off if Infinite goes back to "Team BRs."  Also I guess Snakebite and Royal 2 are bound to stop placing top 2 at some point?

snakebite, royal 2, and lethul all competed in H3. i dont think they'd have an issue if the gun went back to H3 BRs

• Upvote (+1) 1

snakebite, royal 2, and lethul all competed in H3. i dont think they'd have an issue if the gun went back to H3 BRs

frosty is an awesome h3 player as well and was a boss in h2a. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know the depression rate in the halo esport community? I feel like it is a lot higher than other communities, and am very interested in actual numbers if people have some.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm not claiming these guys were completely washed or sucked, but as the game progressed, some pros did lose interest, but the game passed by a lot of them as well. There wasn't a single Pro who has retired this year who retired on top, that I can remember anyways.

I hear yeah, and this is where things are just a matter of perception/opinion

To the original question of who will carry on to Infinite or who will step up - All I'm saying is that the majority of the H3 guys that fell off from H5 had the talent to succeed in H5 if they actually liked the game.

I remember Heinz jumping into a Custom Plaza Game with his team and screwing around and someone suggested they work on jumps and Heinz literally said he didn't want to. I just think that if people like Heinz liked the game enough to care they would be just fine and overall do just fine against any of the young guys. 

So to answer the original question - I think whoever carries on from H5 to do well in Infinite is going to be any of these current top guys and the old guys - if they actually like the game enough to grind it to mastery. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

oh I meant more of like a separate issue; Shotzzy or whoever may not be able to shine quite as much if the individual skill ceiling is lowered / H5 mechanics are removed.

but Royal 2 + Snakebite falling off would just be par for the course; OG2's placings dropped in H5, Roybox's placings dropped in H5, Pistola's, etc.  Royal 2 + Snakebite have been placing top 2 since 2008, that likely won't go on forever

• Upvote (+1) 2

oh I meant more of like a separate issue; Shotzzy or whoever may not be able to shine quite as much if the individual skill ceiling is lowered / H5 mechanics are removed.

but Royal 2 + Snakebite falling off would just be par for the course; OG2's placings dropped in H5, Roybox's placings dropped in H5, Pistola's, etc.  Royal 2 + Snakebite have been placing top 2 since 2008, that likely won't go on forever

Players like SnakeBite & Royal 2 will fall off eventually; Father time is undefeated. However, they're prime examples of guys who are simply less likely to fall off because of how fundamentally sound they are. Royal 2 plays H5 slow. He's not zipping around the map, (relative to other top pros) he just slays out. He and SnakeBite are just so sound in their mechanics and in game sense, they play well.

And to @@Knighty Knight's point, yes game fatigue is a part of it.

Players like Lunchbox, Roy, Ninja, and VictoryX probably could've grinded Halo more and remained in the  Top 8 of teams. But those guys aren't used to being Top 8. RoyBox dominated H2A, Ninja was a top-tier H4/H2A player and Victory has been a top-tier player since H2. They probably have little desire to play a game they may or may not enjoy and not compete at the highest level (competing for a championship)

I can't think of very many players across all the Halo titles that literally walked away on top or near the top.

Zyos? debatable.

OG Saiyan? FB faltered and people pointed to his lack of drive and dedication as a reason and a catalyst for him being replaced by StrongSide, ushering in the second dominate reign for Final Boss.

These Pros are competitive, it's hard to look at a game that you're dominating in and simply say "eh, I'm good"

Compound that with the very generous pay-outs for H5 Tournaments and don't agree that it's simply "I'm tired"

But I love the debates guys, talking Halo has always been something I've enjoyed greatly.

This is the game I grew up on, and nothing would make me happier than to see Halo capture some of it's magic.

The same magic that got me into competitive gaming.

• Upvote (+1) 3

vicx placed fourth at vegas shortly before he left the scene and lbx placed fifth (tie) at worlds before he left. the way competition is right now i see anywhere in top 8 for an older pro to be impressive. i say that because of the MASSIVE change in playstyle required to win and gameplay shift from h2a to h5.

as for tox - snakebite and royal2 were professional h3 players so idk where we draw the line of "old guard" (sb competed at 06 mlg events)

SnakeBite played H3 but his highest placing ever was 5th place, and that was at his second to last event. Reach was really his coming out party IMO

The young God himself is switching. Sad times.

901mIzk.png

just saw that too. But it won't be til next year since he's 17. Maybe by then, multiplayer reveal for halo 6 comes out and grabs everyones attention.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

eh whatever, Halo players should feel free to play Black Ops 4 ... H5 is over (almost certainly), so whatever, I'll be happy to see them return for Infinite.  worst-case scenario is they all do terribly, but if they enjoy the game, why not

Players like SnakeBite & Royal 2 will fall off eventually; Father time is undefeated. However, they're prime examples of guys who are simply less likely to fall off because of how fundamentally sound they are. Royal 2 plays H5 slow. He's not zipping around the map, (relative to other top pros) he just slays out. He and SnakeBite are just so sound in their mechanics and in game sense, they play well.

And to @@Knighty Knight's point, yes game fatigue is a part of it.

Players like Lunchbox, Roy, Ninja, and VictoryX probably could've grinded Halo more and remained in the Top 8 of teams. But those guys aren't used to being Top 8. RoyBox dominated H2A, Ninja was a top-tier H4/H2A player and Victory has been a top-tier player since H2. They probably have little desire to play a game they may or may not enjoy and not compete at the highest level (competing for a championship)

I can't think of very many players across all the Halo titles that literally walked away on top or near the top.

Zyos? debatable.

OG Saiyan? FB faltered and people pointed to his lack of drive and dedication as a reason and a catalyst for him being replaced by StrongSide, ushering in the second dominate reign for Final Boss.

These Pros are competitive, it's hard to look at a game that you're dominating in and simply say "eh, I'm good"

Compound that with the very generous pay-outs for H5 Tournaments and don't agree that it's simply "I'm tired"

But I love the debates guys, talking Halo has always been something I've enjoyed greatly.

This is the game I grew up on, and nothing would make me happier than to see Halo capture some of it's magic.

The same magic that got me into competitive gaming.

saiyan was literally whipped. God i wish i had the mlg post where his gf posted on his account. Its also not that hard to give up on anything when ur not having fun.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Royal 2 + Snakebite have been placing top 2 since 2008, that likely won't go on forever

...What? 2011(aka. in Reach) is the first time they placed top 2(closest any of them got before that was Snakebite at the end of H3 in 2010 placing 5th twice).

Royal 2 placed top 16 in H3 once, wouldn't call him a professional h3 player lol. Snakebite finished off his H3 career with 3 top 8 finishes, so calling him a H3 pro is ok.

• Upvote (+1) 2

eh whatever, Halo players should feel free to play Black Ops 4 ... H5 is over (almost certainly), so whatever, I'll be happy to see them return for Infinite.  worst-case scenario is they all do terribly, but if they enjoy the game, why not

i agree with this. plus the hcs structure is an event every 3 or 4 months so why not try your hand in cod? there is nothing to lose. splyce doesnt really need the practice time and frosty will bable to stay on top even switching games. they will always be able to come back if they want.

as much as i hated esl, i do think they had a good thing with pro league. it unnecessarily shut out the AM scene with their set up but we had something to watch weekly with casters and all and gave pros a prize pool to work for between events. current set up just has us all sitting around waiting another month for the next event and wondering what will happen after atl

Royal 2 placed top 16 in H3 once, wouldn't call him a professional h3 player lol. Snakebite finished off his H3 career with 3 top 8 finishes, so calling him a H3 pro is ok.

if h3 went another year royal2 would've significantly improved upon those placings. he was an extremely good sniper from the start - i played them in AM that event and he was definitely pro material. back then top 16 was considered pro

• Upvote (+1) 1

Snakebite finished off his H3 career with 3 top 8 finishes, so calling him a H3 pro is ok.

Robbie Bizzle's greatest legacy is giving us Snakebite.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Sir Robert Bizzle was actually one of the best early streamers, he would explain his thought process in a way that really helped me understand in-game movement/thinking for Halo gameplay

and yes, I was thinking 2010-11-ish but said 2008; still, 9 years on top for Royal 2 + Snakebite is pretty impressive

• Upvote (+1) 1