CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

if that's the only criticism, that is weak af. definitely picking it up on launch. ww2 will always be my jam

ot: i want spartan to put together a super group. bubu, neptune and the return of HUKE! (imagine?)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I come in here everyday, read a bunch of lazy posts about how bad H5 is and realize I just miss @@Moses_FPS

Wrong and wrong. Thanks for playing. Be sure to get your Kotaku goody bag on the way out.

Eh, while my points were a gross generalization, I wouldn't say it's wrong entirely. Like it was pointed out later, there are definitely people pissed just because they are women, but like it was also pointed out later, they're pissed specifically because they're not historically (or sensibly) accurate women characters, not just that they're women. My fault for the real vague description. And there are definitely some people upset that it's back to WW2 and not going to be a modern or futuristic situation, but again, pointed out by later posters that they're pissed because it isn't exactly historically accurate after Dice claimed it was going to be an immersive and gritty WW2 experience or something. Shame on me for not having followed the launch, marketing, or reactions more closely (genuinely said, not sarcastically) and then posting about it. I was just trying to provide a quick explanation. 

I really don't want to get in this debate, but half of the things in the game aren't accurate so I never understood why this was the thing that people get hung up on.

And with that I'm backing out of the debate.

I should've mentioned that as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

well spoken response with good information

Good call on all fronts. I said it early responding to @@Zavehi , but you're right. It isn't much about that they are women (although I'm sure some douches are pissed just for that) but you hit all the points right on the money. If they are going to claim it's immersive they should be historically accurate, or at least make an attempt to ground their decisions in reality. 

if that's the only criticism, that is weak af. definitely picking it up on launch. ww2 will always be my jam

ot: i want spartan to put together a super group. bubu, neptune and the return of HUKE! (imagine?)

Huke isn't coming back. Salary is definitely much better on CoD and he's back to being a beast over there too so maybe his contract will get bought out if nV's CoD team continues to underperform. He shouldn't come back to Halo if he has any sense.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dude who cares about the female character. Look to the left?? Why is Cratos (god of war) in a battlefield game lmao

Seriously though I do think their trailer is lame but I'm also pretty sure I'm about twice the age demographic they're aiming at with stuff like that at 27 anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That overly customizable aesthetic reminds me a lot of modern CoD games and to me this is a huge turnoff. Who knows, the gameplay might be solid, but come on does it really make a Battlefield game better if we can play as Cratos? I'm not huge about the immersion in a MP game (feel like a Spartan yet?), but the first reveal trailer should set the tone/vibe of the game and show off some cool new vehicles/guns/mechanics, not tell me CUSTOMIZATION BRO! Idk, Hardline and Battlefield 1 have been pretty mediocre games overall, I hope BFV can continue what BF3 and 4 had going.

Battlefield has never been more than "inspired by real events," so I don't see the basis for the complaints tbh. Where were all the complaints at with BF1 and all its inaccuracies?

Probably worst Battlefield trailer I've watched.

Eh, while my points were a gross generalization, I wouldn't say it's wrong entirely. Like it was pointed out later, there are definitely people pissed just because they are women, but like it was also pointed out later, they're pissed specifically because they're not historically (or sensibly) accurate women characters, not just that they're women. My fault for the real vague description. And there are definitely some people upset that it's back to WW2 and not going to be a modern or futuristic situation, but again, pointed out by later posters that they're pissed because it isn't exactly historically accurate after Dice claimed it was going to be an immersive and gritty WW2 experience or something. Shame on me for not having followed the launch, marketing, or reactions more closely (genuinely said, not sarcastically) and then posting about it. I was just trying to provide a quick explanation.

I should've mentioned that as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

Good call on all fronts. I said it early responding to @@Zavehi , but you're right. It isn't much about that they are women (although I'm sure some douches are pissed just for that) but you hit all the points right on the money. If they are going to claim it's immersive they should be historically accurate, or at least make an attempt to ground their decisions in reality.

Na, let’s not pretend that battlefield’s fan base is largely made up of history buffs looking for authenticity. The core draw is the stylized, over-the-top , comic book action.

Nothing about the game is “grounded in reality” beyond the artstyle- this is where the “immersion” comes from - not historical accuracy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know if it's fair to say Snipedown is definitively better than Bubu.

Snipedown's shot is incredible, clearly better than Bubu's IMO. He's better with power weapons, and his game sense is very underrated. He's still one of the best players in this game. I think Bubu is probably an easier teammate to have.

• Upvote (+1) 3

EDIT because the trailer is more ambiguous that i first thought.  All of this commentary is only regarding campaign if these same characters are present, multiplayer is whatever. who gives a shit. as long as its fun and plays well.

The problem with the Battlefield V trailer is really a symptom of where the AAA game industry is at right now, for the most part.  All these companies are trying to one-up each other yet at the same time are averse to taking the right kind of risks. If they want to represent women and minorities, that would be great.  But there are a lot of better stories they could tell around that, many of which happened during WWII, that could both demonstrate the many contributions women had to the war (combat and non-combat), that actually make sense historically and would make for some good gameplay and story telling.  But instead of focusing on that, they shoehorn women into roles that make no sense given the context.  I understand that the British amputee female frontline WWII soldier is just an avatar, but its also fucking ridiculous. Stick that soldier into Black Ops 4 and make her a real badass and i'll buy that, no problem.  If they want to have women in their game and are following the same episodic style campaign they did for Battlefield 1 (which i quite enjoyed and had female characters that displayed a lot of agency and i actually bought), make an episode about actual female soldiers and another one maybe about being a nurse in a makeshift hospital on the frontline, Band of Brothers style.

Frankly, its high time that women got bigger more important roles in AAA games (FPS games especially), but I think that executing it in this manner is really just cheap, blatant pandering.  All that said, if the gameplay is actually good i'll still buy it.  I think the intent of what they were trying to do is fine, they just executed it terribly. Edit: Basically, its nothing that people really need to have a cow about, but it certainly deserves some criticism so that hopefully someday we will see women in a game such as this actually represented well.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The problem with the Battlefield V trailer is really a symptom of where the AAA game industry is at right now, for the most part. All these companies are trying to one-up each other yet at the same time are averse to taking the right kind of risks. If they want to represent women and minorities, that would be great. But there are a lot of better stories they could tell around that, many of which happened during WWII, that could both demonstrate the many contributions women had to the war (combat and non-combat), that actually make sense historically and would make for some good gameplay and story telling. But instead of focusing on that, they shoehorn women into roles that make no sense given the context. I understand that the British amputee female frontline WWII soldier is just an avatar, but its also fucking ridiculous. Stick that soldier into Black Ops 4 and make her a real badass and i'll buy that, no problem. If they want to have women in their game and are following the same episodic style campaign they did for Battlefield 1 (which i quite enjoyed and had female characters that displayed a lot of agency and i actually bought), make an episode about actual female soldiers and another one maybe about being a nurse in a makeshift hospital on the frontline, Band of Brothers style.

Frankly, its high time that women got bigger more important roles in AAA games (FPS games especially), but I think that executing it in this manner is really just cheap, blatant pandering. All that said, if the gameplay is actually good i'll still buy it. I think the intent of what they were trying to do is fine, they just executed it terribly.

I feel almost exactly opposite. If they want to provide a female avatar for players that want to use one, they shouldn’t also be hamstrung by a need to provide an intricate, historically accurate, narrative reason for doing so. If they genuinely want to persue a game that explores the contributions of women, I’d be all for it. But their primary job is to make sure that they are delivering a fun, balanced gameplay experience- the ridiculous female avatar doesn’t prevent them from doing just that. They aren’t out to give a history lesson.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I could understand if Battlefield said they wanted to give an historically accurate game, but they're not so really it boils down to fun. Plus no matter how accurate their trailer is to history, the gameplay will still see people running around with katanas as a German soldier, and other stuff like that. From what I've heard the gameplay should be fun, the trailer just didn't show any of that well. At all.

I feel almost exactly opposite. If they want to provide a female avatar for players that want to use one, they shouldn’t also be hamstrung by a need to provide an intricate, historically accurate, narrative reason for doing so. If they genuinely want to persue a game that explores the contributions of women, I’d be all for it. But their primary job is to make sure that they are delivering a fun, balanced gameplay experience- the ridiculous female avatar doesn’t prevent them from doing just that. They aren’t out to give a history lesson.

Yeah I don't give a shit about multiplayer.  Whoever you want to play.  I read the first part of that trailer as being a campaign element, because why would you wait through that cutscene everytime in MP? But i just rewatched it and its more ambiguous than that.  If that character has a campaign presence, its pretty fucking ridiculous.  If its just a MP avatar for MP, thats totally fine who cares.  I guess we will see?  Even if it is a campaign character, its more of a missed opportunity than an OMGFUCKYOU moment.

i hate that spartan got dropped. he was playing really well at seattle. 

but for next time, 

J9FPG7i.png

• Upvote (+1) 5

i hate that spartan got dropped. he was playing really well at seattle. 

but for next time, 

J9FPG7i.png

Spartan has gone from being overrated to being actually good in the past year (esp. his communication), I'm surprised he was dropped

• Upvote (+1) 1

Short of Huke coming back, there are no team changes that could excite me.  I just dont see Splyce or Tox being challenged by any possible teams left in the field.  I HOPE that i am proven wrong, but i kind of don't see it.

The main problem with female soldiers in a WW2 game that is supposed to be (In their words) "authentic/immersive" is the fact it's blatant revisionist history only added into the game the please the SJW's of the world. In any normal circumstance, if you were making a game set in the second world war you would have those fighting in it be representative of 99.9% of the soldiers who actually fought in the conflict. 

They can do as the please, it is their game. I personally just think they should be honest about their marketing and the way they talk about the game if they are going politicize it like they have.

A game like Halo, which is set in the future with super solders, it makes sense for there to be female solders. in a WW2 game however, it is just silly. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Na, let’s not pretend that battlefield’s fan base is largely made up of history buffs looking for authenticity. The core draw is the stylized, over-the-top , comic book action.

Nothing about the game is “grounded in reality” beyond the artstyle- this is where the “immersion” comes from - not historical accuracy.

IKR, who doesn't want to play a WW2 game as Sarah Kerrigan or Cratos GOD OF WAR!

Who doesn't remember the Negan cricket bat or the katana slaying on the Western front? lmao

Also, to the people making comparisons to halo having females, the US and British militaries didn't allow female combat arms until 2 years ago, but I am sure with an augmented armor combat suits and female rights in the 80s probably helped with that. For me? I dont play battlefield so I dont really care, but dont claim your game to be one of the most immersive WW2 titles ever and make it a hero action shooter lmao.

One more thing to drag this out, I think the population of "sexist women haters" in gaming is pretty small, like any subsets of various populations. I could almost guarantee there as just as many "white male haters" out there who pushed for characters like this (they actually get listened to however). This game, and many others, are just a byproduct of the shitty political climate we live in right now.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The main problem with female soldiers in a WW2 game that is supposed to be (In their words) "authentic/immersive" is the fact it's blatant revisionist history only added into the game the please the SJW's of the world. In any normal circumstance, if you were making a game set in the second world war you would have those fighting in it be representative of 99.9% of the soldiers who actually fought in the conflict. 

They can do as the please, it is their game. I personally just think they should be honest about their marketing and the way they talk about the game if they are going politicize it like they have.

A game like Halo, which is set in the future with super solders, it makes sense for there to be female solders. in a WW2 game however, it is just silly. 

I mean it's not exactly a striking example of realism by any stretch but then it begs the question of where to draw the line.

This situation didn't exist 10 years ago when I played medal of honor or the earlier CoD's that I can recall. By that I mean I don't remember a number of people offended their wasn't a female.

Short of Huke coming back, there are no team changes that could excite me.  I just dont see Splyce or Tox being challenged by any possible teams left in the field.  I HOPE that i am proven wrong, but i kind of don't see it.

no way huke comes back. nv got a pretty good roster coming out of cod rostermania and there is so much money in cod spread out over the season vs just a couple of tournamnets in halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

EDIT because the trailer is more ambiguous that i first thought.  All of this commentary is only regarding campaign if these same characters are present, multiplayer is whatever. who gives a shit. as long as its fun and plays well.

The problem with the Battlefield V trailer is really a symptom of where the AAA game industry is at right now, for the most part.  All these companies are trying to one-up each other yet at the same time are averse to taking the right kind of risks. If they want to represent women and minorities, that would be great.  But there are a lot of better stories they could tell around that, many of which happened during WWII, that could both demonstrate the many contributions women had to the war (combat and non-combat), that actually make sense historically and would make for some good gameplay and story telling.  But instead of focusing on that, they shoehorn women into roles that make no sense given the context.  I understand that the British amputee female frontline WWII soldier is just an avatar, but its also fucking ridiculous. Stick that soldier into Black Ops 4 and make her a real badass and i'll buy that, no problem.  If they want to have women in their game and are following the same episodic style campaign they did for Battlefield 1 (which i quite enjoyed and had female characters that displayed a lot of agency and i actually bought), make an episode about actual female soldiers and another one maybe about being a nurse in a makeshift hospital on the frontline, Band of Brothers style.

Frankly, its high time that women got bigger more important roles in AAA games (FPS games especially), but I think that executing it in this manner is really just cheap, blatant pandering.  All that said, if the gameplay is actually good i'll still buy it.  I think the intent of what they were trying to do is fine, they just executed it terribly. Edit: Basically, its nothing that people really need to have a cow about, but it certainly deserves some criticism so that hopefully someday we will see women in a game such as this actually represented well.

Not only that (I agree with literally everything you just said), they insist on making every female protagonist an Mary Sue, which is so disrespectful to the female audience. Its pandering, and they're not even trying to hide it, did anyone care that one of the Spartans in Halo Reach was a female amputee? nope, she was also a bad ass character. Also, when I served in the Army, if you had a finger amputated, you couldn't serve in front line operations anymore, let alone an entire arm missing. 

Splyce? Maybe not. Tox, however, will be challenged. Happened many times before.

• Upvote (+1) 1