FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Frosty said on stream he thinks DH Atlanta will be the last Halo 5 event, with MCC events to follow.

Is this the general consensus around here? I think the H3 2v2s are a good sign but I'm not sure how they'd bridge the rest of the gap until Infinite.

I think MCC at ATL is a tester to see how it holds up, the deciding choice will come after ATL with viewership and participation figures playing factors in the decision imo.

If viewership and turnout sucks for MCC then i can see Halo 5 HWC19 personally. Thats just my unbiased and uninformed opinion ^

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ive thought about this for a while. Given how powerful the X is, whats stopping Microsoft from allowing us to play PC games on it? It would help differentiate it from ps4, and Microsoft is already trying to merge Windows gaming store

I really want someone to ask Phil Spencer this.

@@Tashi

Because the xbox is not a PC. as close to a PC as it is, games still need to be ported over.  Its still custom hardware and a custom OS (modified Jaguar cores and modified Windows 10).  That certainly makes the transition easy but you can't just run PC games on it.

what pc games are you talking about? because I doubt Microsoft is going to pay some of these studios to put their games on their store, and the X is not powerful at all

The X is more powerful than any PC that has less than a GTX 1070 in it.  Plus it has other efficiency's baked in that devs can take advantage of.  The vast majority of PC gamers don't have this level of hardware.

It bothers me that 343 subscribes to the idea that Halo's decline was inevitable due to the growth of other games. Halo had plenty of good competition... But as that competition got better, Halo got worse... THAT'S why it's in its current position.

Retention is the most abused statistic in this discussion, because context is ignored. Reach and H5 may have had similar retention, but the former vastly outsold the latter.

What does this mean? It means that Halo has lost much of its appeal, and those who still bother to purchase it and play it long term are the remaining few who actually like the direction since Reach.

Honestly tweet menke with that shit i want to see what he says.  Plus, they can't use retention stats since H5 was added to Game Pass.  As soon as that happened it became a total apples to oranges comparison.

2. take out the nademarkers

I know everyone here's against nade markers in general, but I have a question:

Would you hate them as much if those "My grenade dealt 1 point of damage" situations didn't give a hit marker?

Like, if grenades (or explosions in general) had to deal a minimum amount of damage to trigger the hit marker rather than just automatically triggering it on any minor grazing of damage at all?

It would remove the situations where frags basically become scouting tools, but keep the situations where a deaf player can know their explosions are actually being useful...but with a trade-off that now you know if you do see a hit marker from a grenade the player is much weaker.

Would you hate them as much if those "My grenade dealt 1 point of damage" situations didn't give a hit marker?

Like, if grenades (or explosions in general) had to deal a minimum amount of damage to trigger the hit marker rather than just automatically triggering it on any minor grazing of damage at all?

It would remove the situations where frags basically become scouting tools, but keep the situations where a deaf player can know their explosions are actually being useful...but with a trade-off that now you know if you do see a hit marker from a grenade the player is much weaker.

You could argue that it’s worse that way, because you know with full confidence that the player is very weak. I’ve had several instances on Adrift where I naded attic and got hits, pushed, and was astonished to find that I had to hit him 4 times.

No hit markers is the way to go. Regarding the deaf argument, we could just level the playing field by disabling the sound players make when they’re naded. I don’t feel that they add anything beneficial to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I fail to see what being deaf has to do with this?  Grenades shouldn't make a different sound when they tag someone.  That seems like the better solution. Differential sounds isn't really an issue right now anyway. The only hitmarkers that are OK are hitmarkers where you have line of sight.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The X is more powerful than any PC that has less than a GTX 1070 in it.  Plus it has other efficiency's baked in that devs can take advantage of.  The vast majority of PC gamers don't have this level of hardware.

That's a load of bullshit, since when we define the power of a pc by its graphic card? a gtx 660 from 5 years ago can out perform an xbox one x given the right cpu, the xbox one x cpu is as good as an iphone's cpu, that's how weak it is and that's why frames run low on consoles, that's why consoles stutter a lot

• Downvote (-1) 5

Got my tickets for Dreamhack 2018, hype thrusters engaged ! God I hope that Halo 3 tournament turns out massively good.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not going to lie, I would lose more interest if we switched to Halo 3. I never liked the game. I would still participate in the scene where I could but it would be tougher for me to enjoy.

Speaking of Halo 3 though, just a reminder the Microsoft stores are hosting Halo 3 2v2 tournaments on October 7th. Last time I checked in only one other person said they went. With how excited people are for Halo 3 I hope to hear stories from more people in a week and a half.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not going to lie, I would lose more interest if we switched to Halo 3. I never liked the game. I would still participate in the scene where I could but it would be tougher for me to enjoy.

Speaking of Halo 3 though, just a reminder the Microsoft stores are hosting Halo 3 2v2 tournaments on October 7th. Last time I checked in only one other person said they went. With how excited people are for Halo 3 I hope to hear stories from more people in a week and a half.

Halo 5 has already drained all my interest, tbh, I must drag myself to finish watching not just a series, but a map.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 5 has already drained all my interest, tbh, I must drag myself to finish watching not just a series, but a map.

I will put the stream on, then just leave and go do other shit.  Trying to get a view in there but i dont actually want to watch.  Every "Ohh!" for each noscope just makes me cringe at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly tweet menke with that shit i want to see what he says. Plus, they can't use retention stats since H5 was added to Game Pass. As soon as that happened it became a total apples to oranges comparison.

I've gotten rid of my social media, but I would. But I think they are indoctrinated with that "competition" argument. I've chatted with Franky and Tom French on other sites, and the both subscribe to the "but MW2 logic"... Ignoring the fact that H3 had no problem holding its own against MW2 (it was still the most played xbl game of 2007-2009) until Reach cannibalized the playerbase. I guess it's something the subscribe to in order to keep morale or something.

I remember switching back and forth between H3 and MW2. Then Reach came out, and sucked, so I just played MW2.

I think MCC at ATL is a tester to see how it holds up, the deciding choice will come after ATL with viewership and participation figures playing factors in the decision imo.

If viewership and turnout sucks for MCC then i can see Halo 5 HWC19 personally. Thats just my unbiased and uninformed opinion ^

I could see them doing another season of H5, but I doubt it'd be another HWC. 

Putting up $1,000,000 + for a dead game every year gets expensive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When it comes to nades as radar, I could take it or leave it. But I do like the direction indicator when nades are being thrown at you

When it comes to nades as radar, I could take it or leave it. But I do like the direction indicator when nades are being thrown at you

Man, I've hated that since they were introduced. The HUD is just too damn cluttered, and the indicators just train you to react to them instead rather than processing what's happening around you naturally.

I don't understand what's wrong with just the having the light that emits from the frag to help people track them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man, I've hated that since they were introduced. The HUD is just too damn cluttered, and the indicators just train you to react to them instead rather than processing what's happening around you naturally.

I don't understand what's wrong with just the having the light that emits from the frag to help people track them.

Wouldn't be as cluttered if they took out radar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wouldn't be as cluttered if they took out radar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

True, but it would still be redundant and unnecessary. I dunno I just really like the subtle, practical UI elements (like Shield pop) much more than info overtly being plastered on the screen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

is that because you prefer h5 or is it purely because you didnt like h3? 

personally, i dont like h5. i havent played it in well over a year and watching it has been stale for that time as well. i think we need some sort of change and moving to mcc while we wait on infinite makes the most sense. it could build a lot of interest in the run up to infinite

MCC playlist changes along with the addition of a H3 Hardcore doubles playlist that will feature the settings and maps used for Dreamhack.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/mcc-playlist-update-9-26-18/5be6e591-609f-47d4-bdc0-5f08834c61cb/posts

nDEWqRH.png

Another

Fucking

Playlist

I get it's a good idea to to have a dedicated playlist so players can practice for DH, but can they at least remove vanilla H3 Doubles? MCC now has the same amount of gametypes as H5 (16)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wait... what?  Making nades themselves a little easier to see would be good (CE style).  Having the game tell you where you need to go to avoid them? no thanks.  I have always thought danger indicators were stupid.  You either see it coming and calculate where its going to land by that, or you didn't because you weren't looking in the right place and deal with it either way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's a load of bullshit, since when we define the power of a pc by its graphic card? a gtx 660 from 5 years ago can out perform an xbox one x given the right cpu, the xbox one x cpu is as good as an iphone's cpu, that's how weak it is and that's why frames run low on consoles, that's why consoles stutter a lot

This is factually incorrect.

Frame rates and resolution of games on the X is driven towards appeal to the average console gamer, not gamers who are used to PC.

One of the biggest bottle necks on the X is the lack of any SSD storage and shared memory constraints, which leads to most stutter on the hardware side of things. Most other stutter is lack of optimization due to developers not optimizing on multiple platforms.

Does anyone have a clip or timestamp of when Frosty said Atl was the last H5 event would be good to get exact wording.

But I’m really glad we don’t have another 2 years of H5 the game is already played out and it’s time to move on.

But if we do go back to H3 can we please push to get the bullet spread removed and 115% movement speed both should be possible since 343 has the source code.

And that's totally fair. I feel like Halo esports is in this weird spot where the remaining people around Halo 5 probably like Halo 5, but switching to Halo 3 has a potential audience that you may be able to bring back. Are there enough active Halo 3 fans to have a larger audience after a nostalgic event? I hope so for everybody else's sake.

I wonder how many active Halo 5 esports fans are happy to go back to Halo 3? I feel like a fair amount would be happy or indifferent so I definitely understand if moving back to Halo 3 is the move.

is that because you prefer h5 or is it purely because you didnt like h3? 

personally, i dont like h5. i havent played it in well over a year and watching it has been stale for that time as well. i think we need some sort of change and moving to mcc while we wait on infinite makes the most sense. it could build a lot of interest in the run up to infinite

A bit of both I guess? I like Halo 5, although admittedly I barely play it anymore. I always hated Halo 3 though. A lot of old school Halo players will say Reach or Halo 4 is when they began to lose interest in the series, after playing Halo 3 a couple times I quit Halo completely until Reach came out... Not my smartest move but hey it's what I did. I have gone back since to play the V8 settings, and they're okay, but I wouldn't say I enjoy them.

I'm down to switch to an older Halo, if it was Halo 1 or Halo 2 in the discussion I would be completely on board. I understand Halo 3 is the fan favorite however so if they move to play Halo 3 on the circuit I would definitely understand. It would still bum me out though.

Does anyone have a clip or timestamp of when Frosty said Atl was the last H5 event would be good to get exact wording.

But I’m really glad we don’t have another 2 years of H5 the game is already played out and it’s time to move on.

But if we do go back to H3 can we please push to get the bullet spread removed and 115% movement speed both should be possible since 343 has the source code.

I don't have the timestamp, but I'm the one that asked the question in his twitch chat so I'm about 95% confident of the wording on his part:

Me: Do you think there will be another H5 world championship?

Frosty: I think ATL will be the last Halo 5 event, and then after that there will be more MCC tournaments

He didn't single out any particular game on MCC, didn't mention 4v4 or 2v2 etc., and he didn't say whether he thinks these tournaments will go until Infinite (didn't mention Infinite at all).