CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The good thing about Copetitive Halo compared to COD is that we don't have to relearn and start over with a new game each year created by a different developer.But I don't think playing the same game for 5 years is much better.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The good thing about Copetitive Halo compared to COD is that we don't have to relearn and start over with a new game each year created by a different developer.But I don't think playing the same game for 5 years is much better.

Wouldn't be a big deal if the game wasn't awful. CSGO is basically the same game from release in 2012. There have been weapon tweaks, buffs, nerfs, etc., but still the same base game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

AM v Pro matches shouldn’t be what’s shown two viewers.

For LAN tournaments, in think the best format is for Pros to go straight to groups, and AMs to play their way into groups. Plenty of AM v AM offscreen. Top AMs get a handful of matches against Pros. Pro’s are onscreen most of the time.

For online qualifiers I think the Legendary bracket system is better than 2Ks

I always liked how MLG did it back in the day. During the early morning when the tournament started, streams of AM teams were broadcasted where they would go back and forth with one player's POV from each team per game. It was fun seeing old names in what used to be called "semi-pro" with guys who just couldn't break top 8 but still had serious skill compared to your average AM team.

I guess that's the difference in popularity between H2-H3 and H5. Would it be worth it to sacrifice the production quality of the past couple events to accommodate something like that--or at least have a B stream to potentially show important pro matches that are happening off the main stage?

I wonder if the climate is right for the country skins to come out now that we are exiting summer.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I always liked how MLG did it back in the day. During the early morning when the tournament started, streams of AM teams were broadcasted where they would go back and forth with one player's POV from each team per game. It was fun seeing old names in what used to be called "semi-pro" with guys who just couldn't break top 8 but still had serious skill compared to your average AM team.

I guess that's the difference in popularity between H2-H3 and H5. Would it be worth it to sacrifice the production quality of the past couple events to accommodate something like that--or at least have a B stream to potentially show important pro matches that are happening off the main stage?

Oh yeah, I’d be cool with all that.

What I’m not cool with is how the early days of H5 pros were sitting on their thumbs all Day1, while 8hrs of noname AMs were on broadcast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After hearing about the 5v5 on Blops4 I couldn’t help but think of Halo 5 man rosters- these 2 came to mind for some reason:

Final Boss - Ogre1, Ogre2, Walshy, Roy, Lunchbox

Str8 Rippin - T2, Legit, Elamite, Snipedown, Neighbor

Haha kind of fun to think about. But can you imagine the comms on a 5 man halo team :0

Carbon - GH057ayame, Shockwav3, Karma, Gandhi, Strongside

tD - SK, Ola, Heinz, Hysteria, Victory X

Instinct - Roy, Lunchbox, Ogre2, Elamite, Ola

BtH - Cloud, Demon D, Maniac, Clutch, APG

Lots of fun rosters to put together there

• Upvote (+1) 3

That 6 million is a little less than double last year's pool. I think that's pretty solid just for adding one more player to each roster, however, I think they could probably still bump it up another million to make it an even 2x from last year's prize pool. 

I've seen arguments both ways in relevance to CoD. What's your reasoning? Genuinely curious.

I understand that this leaves Halo as the odd man out as far as 4v4 goes, but as @@Sandman stated, we need a good game first, and the rest can come after. I saw an article that says someone from M$ stated that they are designing Infinite with esports in mind. I hope they learned a hell of a lot from the pile of bullshit that made up Halo 5 and produce a game that is fun and competitive at the same time.

Its just moving so far down the teamshot meta.  Between that and less money going to each individual player for winning, i don't like the idea.  IMO 4v4 is the perfect team size.  requires teamwork to win consistently, but also allowed exceptional players to carry when necessary.  The larger teams get, the less power any individual has over the outcome of a match.  it also makes it more of a mess to watch.

I wonder if the climate is right for the country skins to come out now that we are exiting summer.

Exiting summer? oh no no no. Its always Summer In Oklahoma :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its just moving so far down the teamshot meta.  Between that and less money going to each individual player for winning, i don't like the idea.  IMO 4v4 is the perfect team size.  requires teamwork to win consistently, but also allowed exceptional players to carry when necessary.  The larger teams get, the less power any individual has over the outcome of a match.  it also makes it more of a mess to watch.

I can honestly say I hadn't heard the teamshot argument before. I feel like it would certainly be that way in Halo, but I'm not sold on that in CoD just yet. Maybe I haven't paid as good attention, but CoD seems to be more of a 1v1 game or trading type of game than say Crim and Scump teamshotting an enemy across the map. And thinking of your argument that it makes individuals less powerful to affect the outcome, I'd normally point to CSGO where one guy can completely carry the entire team, but that might just be the gametype. If JKap is absolutely lasering one game it might not be enough to win them a CTF game say. I see your point there, but I think I'd have to see some more gameplay from pro players and in a competitive setting before I disregard it completely. I'm curious. I wouldn't say I support or denounce it at this point, just curious to see how it plays in that game. I don't think it would ever really work in Halo, but again, I'd love to see it before I made a call on it one way or the other.

I can honestly say I hadn't heard the teamshot argument before. I feel like it would certainly be that way in Halo, but I'm not sold on that in CoD just yet. Maybe I haven't paid as good attention, but CoD seems to be more of a 1v1 game or trading type of game than say Crim and Scump teamshotting an enemy across the map. And thinking of your argument that it makes individuals less powerful to affect the outcome, I'd normally point to CSGO where one guy can completely carry the entire team, but that might just be the gametype. If JKap is absolutely lasering one game it might not be enough to win them a CTF game say. I see your point there, but I think I'd have to see some more gameplay from pro players and in a competitive setting before I disregard it completely. I'm curious. I wouldn't say I support or denounce it at this point, just curious to see how it plays in that game. I don't think it would ever really work in Halo, but again, I'd love to see it before I made a call on it one way or the other.

I think it works for CS for a couple reasons.  One is the gametype.  The way it forces players to converge on one or 2 point over time.  A good player can do the calculations to have a good idea where players are coming from/where they need to go to make some cerebral plays.  CoD has some of that too though, to varying degrees depending on the gametype.  I think CoD is overall more cerebral at the top level than people want to give it credit for.  There is certainly a meta-depth-gap between the 2 games, but its not as huge as the PC Master Race want you to believe lol.  I think the bigger thing is the more lethal, deeper weapons and ability to have better aim on PC for CS.  There are certain physical limitations that you just can't overcome with a controller that you can with a mouse that adds another level to the shooting skill on PC.  No matter how good you are at CoD, you can't wipe 3 players with one mag in just a second or 2 unless they are literally stacked behind each other.

I'm not sure if this opinion is unpopular or not, but I hope Halo Infinite uses strongholds instead of going back to koth. Personally, I think strongholds can be the best gamemode hcs has with a couple tweaks. Maybe make it so you get points a little faster and up the score to win to 200 so the games are longer but not insanely long. I don't know how it would play if infinite is classic, but i think sh is a great game mode.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This tox team really are the most depressed looking team I’ve ever seen.

very confused as to why they would release skins in year 4 of the game after stating that there was no way to add more skins ...?  anyway, i guess that's cool

also 5v5 Squad Slayer in Reach was amazing  :thinking:

This tox team really are the most depressed looking team I’ve ever seen.

They control their emotions better than most rosters in Halos history.. when they're not in the zone they all cut up pretty often.

• Upvote (+1) 2