CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I wonder if there's an hair dye company that sponsor internet personalities when they hit a certain popularity level or if there's just a part of your brain that hits a certain point and thinks "yeah I could use some green hair"

• Upvote (+1) 9

This event was the best Halo and best Halo story lines, and best Halo production value since MLG Halo 3 2007, change my mind. 

Did the analyst desk have animal noises like Sundance where we heard a cow go "moo" live during the event? I still think we have a long way to reach the upper echelon that was 2007 Halo broadcasts. 

I know it's probably never going to happen again, but I would love to see at the Halo 3 2v2 event to have Sundance and Puckett for one series...just for old times. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Interesting how Ariel Helwani, who is a prominent MMA journalist is the one that covered the interview for Ninja in regards to him being on the cover.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holy moly, I knew all of these.

Can't tell if its shameful on their part for not knowing just 2 year old H5 rosters or embarrassing for how much I liked H5 esports haha

• Upvote (+1) 6

No player cams was a tech restriction for this event. 

Hopefully the games flowed quicker day 2 and 3. We did have extra desk time to try and use more editorial and feature pieces to build stories in this event, and in my personal opinion it worked. Yes, we can still improve but we had to try something different to see how it would work. 

For what its worth the story lines the analysts tried to build in were certainly interesting. Any other issue I had with the down time for analysis was rooted in issues with H5.

The two issues that bother me with events and will going forward are 

a) There simply isn't anything worth talking about between matches. Most of the players are the same pros we've had for over a year and H5 as a whole has been dissected thousands of times. Even when an amazing play is made, it's still been seen before. Talking about it is just repetitive, no matter how hard you try.

b) The top team going into this even is boring to analyze. Splyce don't play like a team so the question of "how'd they pull that off" or "how does the other team beat them" is the analysis equivalent of get gud scrub.

I still don't understand why people actually believe this.

I think you'd be the perfect person to make an analysis video on Splyce  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 4

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived, but Tox only had to beat Splyce once right because Rec put them in losers?

Yep, that's right.

For what its worth the story lines the analysts tried to build in were certainly interesting. Any other issue I had with the down time for analysis was rooted in issues with H5.

The two issues that bother me with events and will going forward are 

a) There simply isn't anything worth talking about between matches. Most of the players are the same pros we've had for over a year and H5 as a whole has been dissected thousands of times. Even when an amazing play is made, it's still been seen before. Talking about it is just repetitive, no matter how hard you try.

b) The top team going into this even is boring to analyze. Splyce don't play like a team so the question of "how'd they pull that off" or "how does the other team beat them" is the analysis equivalent of get gud scrub.

For the hardcore, yes it can get repetitive for a title that has been out for so long.

But also remember that there are always new people watching. Always people who dont know what is going on, and always those who are interested in learning more. Its a balance we have to strike. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

He was better than Trippey

Trippey had a bad final series if you go by k/d but imo was still was more impactful than Ola. Also, looking at the whole tournament Trippey was easily the better player.

As usual shoutout to Halo Data Hive, lots of interesting stats from London - http://halodatahive.com/Lan/Overview/1009

Also interesting to compare the stats from the first series between Splyce and Tox - http://halodatahive.com/Scrim/Summary/13015

and the second - http://halodatahive.com/Scrim/Summary/13016

Not that I'm surprised but basically 3/4 members of Splyce had a positive K/D in series 1 while only 1/4 of Tox did, and then series 2 that was completely flip-flopped.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still don't understand why people actually believe this.

1) They do not practice as a team. When they do play together at tournaments there is a significant number of matches where their performance is just kind of meh.

2) Their play style is inconsistent between their members at any given time and often dependent purely on constant individual rushes.

3) Their big plays are almost always the result of individual positioning and winning a set of subsequent battles, rather than pushing the obj as a team. I have never in their existence say hey Splyce pushed that flag really well. They push one by one over and over until they have enough player on respawn to begin pull or cap something.

4) They simply do not know how to play from behind. They almost always get an initial lead and hold it, rather than have to play from behind the entire match. On the flip side when there is a match that they are constantly behind but the pull out the win it's often chaotic and neither team maintains a good setup. The third option is they get behind and the opposing team has a strong setup, then Splyce lose.

5) Their coms are terrible Again they are focused on their individual fights and only really make call outs when their opponent gets away weak. They don't call out pushes or to regroup.

They play as a team in only the most basic meaning of the word. I personally have not seen evidence that would put them anywhere close to other top teams in terms of team work. Maybe you have something to offer that I haven't yet heard. The fact that casters and analysts, many of whom are obviously former professional players often default to "they're just individually skilled" speaks to this more than anything. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) They do not practice as a team. When they do play together at tournaments there is a significant number of matches where their performance is just kind of meh.

2) Their play style is inconsistent between their members at any given time and often dependent purely on constant individual rushes.

3) Their big plays are almost always the result of individual positioning and winning a set of subsequent battles, rather than pushing the obj as a team. I have never in their existence say hey Splyce pushed that flag really well. They push one by one over and over until they have enough player on respawn to begin pull or cap something.

4) They simply do not know how to play from behind. They almost always get an initial lead and hold it, rather than have to play from behind the entire match. On the flip side when there is a match that they are constantly behind but the pull out the win it's often chaotic and neither team maintains a good setup. The third option is they get behind and the opposing team has a strong setup, then Splyce lose.

5) Their coms are terrible Again they are focused on their individual fights and only really make call outs when their opponent gets away weak. They don't call out pushes or to regroup.

They play as a team in only the most basic meaning of the word. I personally have not seen evidence that would put them anywhere close to other top teams in terms of team work. Maybe you have something to offer that I haven't yet heard. The fact that casters and analysts, many of whom are obviously former professional players often default to "they're just individually skilled" speaks to this more than anything. 

I agree. I feel like I watching a matchmaking game when I watch Splyce play. Halo 5 allows a team to play like that and win which is even more frustrating to watch. Add to the fact they clout about not practicing It really makes the game look cheap. Syplce abuse the mechanics to snowball the game as much as possible by flying in on spawns not allowing a team to get any kind of setup plain and simple. You will never see Splyce kill off a team then sit back on a map setup waiting for the team to spawn up. They have some of the best starting strats in the HCS. They get full control of the map almost every single game out of the gate. They do have issue coordinating the team push when they lose control. Most times they only gain control back when one of the players pull off a ridiculous play to open up the map. Which happens quite often. Most of their flag caps is a single player's uncoordinated desperate throw bodies on it attempt to lob it across the map. Its cheap but it works in H5. 

As usual shoutout to Halo Data Hive, lots of interesting stats from London - http://halodatahive.com/Lan/Overview/1009

Also interesting to compare the stats from the first series between Splyce and Tox - http://halodatahive.com/Scrim/Summary/13015

and the second - http://halodatahive.com/Scrim/Summary/13016

Not that I'm surprised but basically 3/4 members of Splyce had a positive K/D in series 1 while only 1/4 of Tox did, and then series 2 that was completely flip-flopped.

Frosty's stat line in that second series:

nice meme nice meme KnicDniceAnicK/Ddank team nKA/DnDamagedank team nameDmg/DnicAcc.

Ugmho6e.png

That. is. bonkers.

(sorry, mobile users, formatting's off)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry guys, but if how it looks like Splyce is playing while watching one PoV at a time in a broadcast (out of control, individual pushes with no coordination, etc) was ACTUALLY what was happening... they wouldn't win shit, let alone 4 LANs in a row.  They 100% play together as a team.  They certainly will leave players on an island a little more than other teams and make solo "all ins" occasionally, but thinking "shottzy/renegage/stellur/eco's a monster he's got that" is a totally different thing than just ignoring a teammate and leaving them to die.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Frosty's stat line in that second series:

nice meme nice meme K n D ni A n K/D dank tea KA/D dank team nam Damage dank team na Dmg/D n Acc.

Ugmho6e.png

That. is. bonkers.

(sorry, mobile users, formatting's off)

Yea that's crazy, I think Royal 2's numbers are equally as freaky.

Random fun fact: Tox won Plaza SH in the second series 100-85. In New Orleans, Splyce 100-0'd them in that same map/gametype.

Eh you guys are probably just throwing the word teamwork out there which is a very wide open term and yet everyone has a very narrow idea of what they mean in their own head. 

My two cents - Splyce have excellent teamwork when it comes to instinctual, buddy system, team of 2 slaying. The bait and switches, angles, and cross map help can be the best in the world and it can no doubt win tournaments. When they spanked everyone at Oddball at NOLA to me it was because of the pure team of 2 slaying power they had roaming across the map like this. 

They somehow got rattled in that second best of 7 in London and the instinctual feel they have for slaying simply disappeared. Renegade especially was just constantly dying. It is not like he doesn't normally fly out and expose himself like that most games, it is just this time he was dying doing it. Why? I'm sure there are numerous reasons, anything from a missed call, pissed off mentality, to a Frosty no-scope that is hard to account for, It is just how H5 goes.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hot take:

Fathom CTF  and every Oddball map are better than any gametype/map combo on Empire. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea if you think Splyce doesn't use teamwork in some aspect then you're off your rocker.

I will say this though - up until now, they haven't had to be as deliberate about their teamwork because they've been able to rely so much on individual skill. Again that doesn't mean they don't use teamwork it just means they're not used to playing reactively (because normally they dictate the pace of the game and force other teams to react to their aggressive playstyle). AKA "doing what the game says".

Tox, on the other hand, is extremely deliberate about every aspect of the game because they know if they aren't, Splyce will run roughshod over them.

Another interesting tidbit which probably played a big role in Tox's 4-0 win in the second series, is the layout of of Fissure and Refuge. I forget who it was (maybe Royal 2 or Snipedown) but someone mentioned in an interview how Splyce excels at maps like Rig and Plaza because there are a lot of confined spaces and enclosures which allows them to collapse on other teams that are bunched up because it's easier to move through the map without getting melted by teamshot. And that fits Splyce's playstyle perfectly. This obviously isn't the case with Fissure and especially Refuge. So much open space, and if your team has map control there are rarely scenarios when 3 or 4 players can't look at and shoot the same target (give or take a jump here and there).

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also, unrelated and take away from it what you will:

Windows Central article: Halo Infinite's Multiplayer to Focus on Esports

"In developing for the next game, it is a key piece of how we think about how we built out multiplayer, which is the mode that our esports is built off of. Thinking about how people will view it. Thinking about how they will play it. But at the end of the day, we have to build an awesome game... Halo has a long legacy with esports, but we have let it be community run. It wasn't until very recently that we looked at the space and said, 'We want to significantly invest in it and create a structure that not just has longevity, but has consistencies that others can build businesses off of... Those are all things that go into the development process that didn't before."

- Elizabeth Van Wyck

• Upvote (+1) 6