CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If people are looking at Pro League as how it was executed rather than the benefits / potential of the format then honestly you have to judge the alternative of weekly/biweekly online open brackets by the same standards. I literally haven't seen anything so far from the execution of these tournaments; no hype, no momentum, no social media presence, no production value etc.

Judging by the same standards, the issues between the two formats aren’t the same.

Pro League was devoid of competitive integrity and it was counter productive to the growth of the community BY DESIGN.

The current format’s biggest issue is that no one gives a fuck about Halo 5 anymore- in part because of what I mentioned above. Before pro league, people were watching the hell out of the weekly, online tournaments that fed LANs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pro league had it's flaws, but it did some things a lot better than what we have now.

The fact that Splyce, the number one team, can skip so many of these 2ks presumably without any repercussions speaks volumes (not sure if it speaks more about 2ks' flaws or just how dominant Splyce is because like they said, seeds are just a number and a color).

At least in Pro League there were set matchups that we could look forward to every week and you knew everyone was going to go head-to-head at some point.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I miss Pro League because of the set schedule and matches but obviously it was run like shit. 

Currently you'd have to make some changes because you think Splyce would take the old Pro League serious or give it the 2k treatment?

edit: I wouldn't mind having an 8 team pro league and then the 2k's for ams trying to get seeded in the open bracket LANS because currently the 2ks are 1st round play a hard good game against other ams and if you win you get rewarded by getting stomped by a pro team. 

They would just have to create incentive for top 3-4 teams to take the Pro League serious every week.

Currently there is not much reason for top 4 teams to take 2ks serious outside of pride and competition. Teams like Str8t and Ex-Lux who are on the bubble are the only one's with something to fight for as the layout stands. 

It doesnt matter how poorly pro league was run, it gave a spotlight on teams, orgs, matchups, and players after games. It created storylines, and kept interest. The NV vs Optic rivalry doesnt happen without pro league. I not only dont know when 2ks happen, I dont know who won, the matchups, and ultimately, they dont even affect points that much

• Upvote (+1) 7

It doesnt matter how poorly pro league was run, it gave a spoight on teams, orgs, matchups, and players after games. It created storylines, and kept interest. The NV vs Optic rivalry doesnt happen without pro league. I not only dont know when 2ks happen, I dont know who won, the matchups, and ultimately, they dont even affect points that much

This is true, I also remember Ninja on EG throwing down a no scope on Eden slayer for EG to win the series and it was like the first pro league series for CLG to lose. Good times for sure. The org thing is also true, just didn't really think about it much since all the orgs have left Halo. 

Like I said, I would be down for a Pro League if it was done right, and still have the open tournaments, and 2ks for open bracket seeding and sift the bottom two teams out of Pro League every season. 

In my eyes, there's absolutely no discussion to be had about the pros and cons of an online Pro League while our FPS's spectator mode doesn't even show you where the players are actually aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I’m not interested in pro league and having to deal with ESL’s incompetence again especially when the same thing can be accomplished by streaming the 2k’s consistently.

The GOW team manages to do the same thing I don’t understand why it’s such an issue for the HCS to do the same thing with an equal or bigger budget.

I’m not interested in pro league and having to deal with ESL’s incompetence again especially when the same thing can be accomplished by streaming the 2k’s consistently.

The GOW team manages to do the same thing I don’t understand why it’s such an issue for the HCS to do the same thing with an equal or bigger budget.

What does the Gears team do? Stream the 2k finals? 

The Pro League coupled with that reality series on pros would have been better. Show the the build up to the matches, would have given better exposure as well. The spotlight on the players, orgs, team houses, drama etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my eyes, there's absolutely no discussion to be had about the pros and cons of an online Pro League while our FPS's spectator mode doesn't even show you where the players are actually aiming.

Observer mode is only slightly off, not near as bad as spectator. 

What does the Gears team do? Stream the 2k finals? 

They do Gears Fight Nights, get pretty decent viewership from what I've seen too.

Gears Fight Nights are weekly live Gears Pro Circuit broadcasts. Watch the best pro Gears of War 4 teams from around the world compete and some up-and-coming amateur teams! Matchups will often include the Weekly 2K Finals matches from every region, as well a showmatch from other exciting teams in the Gears Pro Circuit. Weekly 2K Finals are important qualifiers for upcoming marquee Gears Pro Circuit LANs. Don't miss the broadcast Wednesdays at 3 PM PT / 6 PM ET / 11 PM BT, live at live.gearsofwar.com! When you watch at http://live.gearsofwar.com, you can still participate in the Twitch chat as well as get the chance to win special prizes such as Gear Packs, Xbox hardware, swag, Xbox Live Gold memberships, and rare exclusive characters, emblems or weapon skins!

gears-fight_nights_640x792-0822-e4b95e5a

• Upvote (+1) 1

snip

I like it but besides the 2k finals... It look likes they also just do random match ups? Transitioning this idea over to Halo though any up and coming Halo team gets stomped by a top 8 team, and doesn't stick together for more than a week. The Ex-Lux gaming squad being the exception here. 

Furthermore, you think Splyce would want to play a random match up against REC or Elevate? To be fair you think Tox would too? Probably not unless there was some serious incentive. Everyone just seems so tired of this game. The top 8 pros just play $2s with friends until they tilt and then jump on Fortnite. I don't really have the answer, I just don't see the passion and the pride in these teams. As far as having a reality show as someone suggested above, to have story lines and what not, fuck. Once again, everyone saw the Splyce interviews at NOLA, you think they have passion and competition in this game? 

So we shouldnt have B streams at tourneys by this logic

Pro league was great. Having weekly Halo content is part of what kept H5 going as long as it has. Segregating top teams from AMs and strict but exploitable roster rules, combined with lack of open LANs and online qualifiers for everything made a ton of players stop playing. The 2k system is better for AM players but much worse for casual fans. In the future it would be nice to have the best of both. Just have one day of pro matches in addition to the 2k every week.

• Upvote (+1) 4

MCC still sucks lol

Don't be so Hxrsh

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ya'll are delusional if you think Pro League was bad. Halo is fucking dead. Absolutely DEAD. You can blame that on the longevity of the game, 343, whatever. Even so, it's 343's responsibility to keep things going. The fact is nobody cares about these 2ks. Even the top team doesn't. There's nothing going on except a LAN event every 2 months. There's nothing interesting, nothing worth caring about.

It sucks. Give me Pro League over this Halo-less void any-fucking-day. Regardless of format.e

• Upvote (+1) 5

I really hope infinite can bring people back to this scene

Does RB6 have a scene? not trying to be insulting I honestly have no idea.

Yeah man. R6S is actually quite large. It got a lot of players from it's consistent updates and QOL improvements. They pretty much resurrected that game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

yeah. It just keeps growing over the past year. Its big now