CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Whoever suggested to search under the rock is the crook.

The owner of the money found it lol. Everyone guessed it was either hidden or long gone so we just kept searching.

The owner of the money found it lol. Everyone guessed it was either hidden or long gone so we just kept searching.

Some people are morons. That’s unfortunate this had to happen playing video games? I used to host No Limit poker games back in the day. My events would usually get around 4 tables. One event, the guy holding the winnings had dipped into the prize pool for himself and a buddy. They stuck around to the end too, so they obviously got caught once we had seen the money didn’t add up. Needless to say they are no longer my friends and also haven’t been invited to poker games ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

wtf man.  Time to bolt a safe to the wall in the closet...

I'm just going to throw out a random shower thought, so apologies in advance. I'm all for double elimination brackets, but I hate how the grand finals is double elimination. I get that it's consistent (you have to lose twice to be knocked out of the tournament), but I think it has a lot more going against it.

• Less hype. There's less chance of an upset because the supposedly better team has to lose twice in a row to the underdog. Upsets create good storylines and more excitement. I hate that the upper bracket team not taking the first series as seriously (see Splyce vs Tox last tournament) can even be an excuse, no matter if it happened in that specific instance. It's the grand finals! If you don't take it as seriously, you should lose.
  • Less relatable to an unfamiliar audience. The team I was rooting for just won in the Grand Finals! Oh wait, what? They "reset the bracket" and have to play again? Back to back series felt super unnatural to me as a beginner. I expected that if you make it to the finals, you either win that series or you lose. There's no second chances.
  • I don't have time for that shit. It's a Sunday. I have chores to do and errands to run. You're telling me I might have to watch consecutive back to back 7 game series on top of the usual peppering of earlier series throughout the day? Every time it's happened so far, I had to leave in the middle of the second series.

Ok, back to the thread, just had to get that off my chest.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I loved the commentary during the Beach Lan. Felt relaxed, knowledgeable and fun. Similar to smash commentators. Well done Knighty and HardWay <3

Much appreciated man. Thank you for watching. I had an awesome time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm just going to throw out a random shower thought, so apologies in advance. I'm all for double elimination brackets, but I hate how the grand finals is double elimination. I get that it's consistent (you have to lose twice to be knocked out of the tournament), but I think it has a lot more going against it.

• Less hype. There's less chance of an upset because the supposedly better team has to lose twice in a row to the underdog. Upsets create good storylines and more excitement. I hate that the upper bracket team not taking the first series as seriously (see Splyce vs Tox last tournament) can even be an excuse, no matter if it happened in that specific instance. It's the grand finals! If you don't take it as seriously, you should lose.
  • Less relatable to an unfamiliar audience. The team I was rooting for just won in the Grand Finals! Oh wait, what? They "reset the bracket" and have to play again? Back to back series felt super unnatural to me as a beginner. I expected that if you make it to the finals, you either win that series or you lose. There's no second chances.
  • I don't have time for that shit. It's a Sunday. I have chores to do and errands to run. You're telling me I might have to watch consecutive back to back 7 game series on top of the usual peppering of earlier series throughout the day? Every time it's happened so far, I had to leave in the middle of the second series.

Its about competitive integrity not about trying to make everything "SuPeR hYpE!1!1!1!1" If you were playing and had millions on the line you damn sure wouldn't give 2 shits about what's "more hype"

Its about competitive integrity not about trying to make everything "SuPeR hYpE!1!1!1!1" If you were playing and had millions on the line you damn sure wouldn't give 2 shits about what's "more hype"

A good viewing experience is what brings an audience, sponsors, and all that money they are playing for. It's called "professional" for a reason.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I get where you're coming from. But I think we need two series for the team coming from winners. It's not fair that the losing team just came off a series and is already warm by the time they face the team in winners.

Also nothing is more exciting for me than seeing a losers bracket run that ends with the winners team losing twice. The first win is a sigh of relief that they made it, the second is where it matters.

Double elim is only confusing to people who are not used to it. Several esports and other forms of competition, outside of North American sports, use double elimination. I definitely get the frustration if you're not used to it. But I don't know if the NHL and NBA best of seven should change to appeal to viewers of the superbowl's one game format, even if the superbowl is easier to understand.

The time committment I understand. It sucks guessing the tournament will wind at 4:00 but due to double elim and an unexpected upset it ends at 6:00. I don't think that's enough justification though for the fairness of losing twice and warm up time the winning team deserves.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A good viewing experience is what brings an audience, sponsors, and all that money they are playing for. It's called "professional" for a reason.

Yes and sacrificing the competitive integrity because "I have chores" is exactly how you grow your eSport. You wouldn't be worried about the casual viewer if you had a million on the line man. That team didn't lose a series they don't deserve to be punished. They had to go through the entire winners bracket.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe have one best of 15 instead.  Give the team that hasnt lost yet some sort of map pool advantage vote or a veto advantage. Might make it more interesting than potentially just one best of 7.

No need to reinvent the wheel here. There are a bunch of formatting improvements that could be made, but the way that double elim works is fine as is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe have one best of 15 instead.  Give the team that hasnt lost yet some sort of map pool advantage vote or a veto advantage. Might make it more interesting than potentially just one best of 7.

isnt that how mlg used to do it? if there a head to head, the previous series score was basically imported into a best of 11

• Upvote (+1) 3

isnt that how mlg used to do it? if there a head to head, the previous series score was basically imported into a best of 11

Yes.

One of my favorite competitive Halo series of all time was like this when Clutch & co beat Final Boss in the first series, and then later on in the tournament they met up again in a best of 11 - and Final Boss came back like champs (2gre started the 'choke' chant afterwords to mock Clutch).

Good times.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes and sacrificing the competitive integrity because "I have chores" is exactly how you grow your eSport. You wouldn't be worried about the casual viewer if you had a million on the line man. That team didn't lose a series they don't deserve to be punished. They had to go through the entire winners bracket.

You keep trying to isolate one specific point I made by taking it out of context. I'm trying to talk about what's best for the event and the esport, not what's best for one team in the tournament. They had to go through the entire winners bracket... but the other team had a longer road through the losers bracket. The grand finals is the only game where both teams aren't on equal footing. One team is given a clear advantage. You could say they earned that advantage by not losing, but I think the tournament is better when both teams entering the series are on the same footing, just like in every other series of the tournament before the grand finals. Anyway, that's just like my opinion, man.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Competitive Integrity: The International, Double Elimination Tournament

Caring About Hype: League of Legends World Championships: Single Elimination, Random-Drawn Groups/Brackets.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Double elimination doesn’t make it less hype IMO.

In fact, nothing is more hype than a reset.... except game 14 of course.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Caring About Hype: League of Legends World Championships: Single Elimination, Random-Drawn Groups/Brackets.

i mean to be fair, the groups for TI (and majors too) were drawn as well. i do wish riot didnt feel the need to travel from site to site so they could do double elim though

i mean to be fair, the groups for TI (and majors too) were drawn as well. i do wish riot didnt feel the need to travel from site to site so they could do double elim though

They do single elim because it makes every match "all or nothing" for the teams playing.  They literally do it to be more hype.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Single elimination is stupid for live esports.  Its one of the big advantages we have over traditional sports.  Games are shorter with entire series taking a few hours tops, not a week or more and its not as physically taxing so they can grind grind grind through it. Plus, we all know that LAN and Online are not the same and there are general regional differences is style and skill that are very hard to account for with seeding.  Any TO that is running single-elimination esports brackets should be ashamed of themselves (again at LANs, i understand the logistical/time issues with running some things online).

There is no game advantage in the grand finals at The International, which is exactly what I'm advocating. A double elimination bracket with no advantage in the grand finals.

See http://www.dota2.com/international/rules/

There is no game advantage in the grand finals at The International, which is exactly what I'm advocating. A double elimination bracket with no advantage in the grand finals.

See http://www.dota2.com/international/rules/

Cause Dota 2  games can take over an hour to finish game 1