CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Alright real talk, I honestly get surprised when I hear people talk about how much they like the Halo 2 campaign. I was never much of a lore kid, so perhaps the story is incredible and that's why the game is liked, but I always felt Halo 2 was the weakest campaign by a fair margin. There were so many "sit in this area and don't move until you've killed three waves of enemies" moments, which I always hated in shooters, and Halo 2 is filled with them.

Like do other people not find that boring, or am I just overly sensitive to gameplay segments like that? The other campaigns had a bit of it, but generally you would fight one group of enemies in an area, then move on. Where Halo 2 I felt like I would sit in the same area for long periods of time. Also, I will never get over that ending.

Literally all you do in The Library in CE is fight waves of Flood until 343 feels like opening the doors or whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Alright real talk, I honestly get surprised when I hear people talk about how much they like the Halo 2 campaign. I was never much of a lore kid, so perhaps the story is incredible and that's why the game is liked, but I always felt Halo 2 was the weakest campaign by a fair margin. There were so many "sit in this area and don't move until you've killed three waves of enemies" moments, which I always hated in shooters, and Halo 2 is filled with them.

Like do other people not find that boring, or am I just overly sensitive to gameplay segments like that? The other campaigns had a bit of it, but generally you would fight one group of enemies in an area, then move on. Where Halo 2 I felt like I would sit in the same area for long periods of time. Also, I will never get over that ending.

Maybe not my favorite campaign but I would still put it up there with CE, even if for completely different reasons.

The story was the main draw for me, was something I thought the game did really well over the other games, as well as the soundtrack  You got far more insight into the Covenant AND the Flood, plenty of badass moments with the Chief ("give the covenant back their bomb" has to be one of the most memorable moments in gaming, at least for me personally), Sergeant Johnson as a major character and great comic relief, so on.  Not a narrative masterpiece by any means, but pretty good for what it was at the time.

For gameplay...it did some things good and some things bad.  The levels were more linear sure, but there was also a wider variety of levels, every level was truly unique unlike Ce where it's basically applying a 343i "remix" mentality to the first half of the game.  I didn't have too much of an issue with the waves, save a few exceptions, (and of course firefight is a thing so people can't hate waves that much).  It was the first game to experiment with "bosses", which were a mixed bag, but overall I think was a good addition, Tartarus aside, something I wish would've been pursued further.  Not like the Warden though.  All the new enemies were good additions to gameplay, even if the weapons weren't.

"Why not Halo 3?".  The story failed to captivate me, with it mostly just being an apathetic rehash of the first two games with some Cortana drama thrown in, and the gameplay itself just feels far too clunky for me to want to go back to in 2018.  The levels ARE better in general, but that's about it.

That all being said, there's plenty of stuff worth critiquing from a campaign structure and gameplay standpoint for sure. I also do laugh a little bit when folks freaked out about playing as Locke when I remember the exact same thing happening with the Arbiter, we just didn't have Twitter to amplify the bitchitude. (granted, not exactly apples to apples, but still). 

Arbiter was unique, interesting, and knew how to share the stage anyways.

Locke pushed Chief to the side for literally 80% of the game and was just a completely bland replacement.  Yeah they're both "silent" protagonists, except Chief had a badass factor defined through his actions and one-liners, and a cool iconic appearance as well.  Locke had neither of those going for him.

You can replace the Chief and I won't really care.  He just needs an actually worthy replacement.  So far, Locke isn't that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Literally all you do in The Library in CE is fight waves of Flood until 343 feels like opening the doors or whatever.

I feel like The Library is the exception rather than the rule though. The Library is by no means great, but even back in the day I remember people talk about the great campaign minus The Library. You're right though, there are definitely examples of it in other games with The Library probably being the worst offender in the entire series.

Maybe not my favorite campaign but I would still put it up there with CE, even if for completely different reasons.

The story was the main draw for me, was something I thought the game did really well over the other games, as well as the soundtrack  You got far more insight into the Covenant AND the Flood, plenty of badass moments with the Chief ("give the covenant back their bomb" has to be one of the most memorable moments in gaming, at least for me personally), Sergeant Johnson as a major character and great comic relief, so on.  Not a narrative masterpiece by any means, but pretty good for what it was at the time.

For gameplay...it did some things good and some things bad.  The levels were more linear sure, but there was also a wider variety of levels, every level was truly unique unlike Ce where it's basically applying a 343i "remix" mentality to the first half of the game.  I didn't have too much of an issue with the waves, save a few exceptions, (and of course firefight is a thing so people can't hate waves that much).  It was the first game to experiment with "bosses", which were a mixed bag, but overall I think was a good addition, Tartarus aside, something I wish would've been pursued further.  Not like the Warden though.  All the new enemies were good additions to gameplay, even if the weapons weren't.

"Why not Halo 3?".  The story failed to captivate me, with it mostly just being an apathetic rehash of the first two games with some Cortana drama thrown in, and the gameplay itself just feels far too clunky for me to want to go back to in 2018.  The levels ARE better in general, but that's about it.

Good point about Halo 1 reusing similar areas. Everybody hates The Library, but I think Two Betrayals may be worse just because it's another level in reverse with more vehicle combat when I would have preferred a brand new area.

In regards to bosses, I think there's something to be said for doing something once. I didn't mind the first Warden fight, it was a bit grindy but hey I only have to do it once and it's cool to fight a large enemy in Halo... Then you fight him a half dozen more times and I was sick of it by the end. I don't really like any of the bosses in Halo 2, but I fight each of them once and move on with my day so it doesn't bother me as much.

I like The Library. Shit reminds me of what a zombies mode should feel like. Especially on MCC when you're racking up a killionaire with a shotgun and frags. The pace of the combat on that level is great.

I feel it's too long. Going through the same 4 corridors for 30 minutes is a bit too much for me. The ending sequence is very fun though.

I feel it's too long. Going through the same 4 corridors for 30 minutes is a bit too much for me. The ending sequence is very fun though.

Yeah remove the multiple waiting sequences and don't reuse corridors, and it'd be a much better level.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah remove the multiple waiting sequences and don't reuse corridors, and it'd be a much better level.

Halo 1's entire campaign is the same thing played through twice but you go the other way and it has Flood.

Not that I care too much because I have had more fun playing that than most other games ever.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How did everyone's Microsoft Store tournament go? 

Mine went pretty well. We had four or five new people, five teams total which is pretty solid for us. The last few times I have mentioned a young god in our group that I kept placing second to. Well the young god asked me to team and we blew through the entire bracket, I don't think anybody got five kills against us.

A bit of confusion with the settings, I reached out to Diviyan though who is a GOAT and cleared it up for us really quickly, only effected the first two games so it wasn't a big deal.

Still have an issue at my local store, and I don't know how to "fix" it. But we have such a huge skill gap between players that it becomes incredibly lopsided so people don't want to show up. We could split up our top players, but even the difference between me and the young god is pretty big so it would become young god first, me second, and everybody else distinctly third and below. If we stay together, at least you only get destroyed for one series against the top, but if we split them up then everybody not on a top player's team will get crushed by each team with a top player which I don't know if that's much better.

How about you, how did it go?

EDIT: One more thing, if you are in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, anywhere in the area, please come out. If you need teammates, message me and I'm probably down to team with you unless somebody else asked me first. We have had a few Halo 1 LANs, a Halo 3 LAN, and a couple private Halo 5 LANs alongside the Microsoft store Halo 5 LANs. Come play, it's fun.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 1's entire campaign is the same thing played through twice but you go the other way and it has Flood.

Not that I care too much because I have had more fun playing that than most other games ever.

I find it quite funny how even for the levels that don’t have duplicates, you essentially have to back track or repeat a large amount of it.

Pillar of Autumn - The Maw

Truth and Reconciliation - Keyes

Assault on the Control Room - Two Betrayals

Silent Cartographer - loop around the island multiple times, go down and back up the command center

343 Guilty Spark - go in and then back out of the compound (it’s own mirrored level)

The Library - self explanatory how repetitive it is

Halo is the only level that doesn’t really fit the mold. I guess you have to save 4 lots of marines but they are in all different areas.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mine went pretty well. We had four or five new people, five teams total which is pretty solid for us. The last few times I have mentioned a young god in our group that I kept placing second to. Well the young god asked me to team and we blew through the entire bracket, I don't think anybody got five kills against us.

A bit of confusion with the settings, I reached out to Diviyan though who is a GOAT and cleared it up for us really quickly, only effected the first two games so it wasn't a big deal.

Still have an issue at my local store, and I don't know how to "fix" it. But we have such a huge skill gap between players that it becomes incredibly lopsided so people don't want to show up. We could split up our top players, but even the difference between me and the young god is pretty big so it would become young god first, me second, and everybody else distinctly third and below. If we stay together, at least you only get destroyed for one series against the top, but if we split them up then everybody not on a top player's team will get crushed by each team with a top player which I don't know if that's much better.

How about you, how did it go?

EDIT: One more thing, if you are in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, anywhere in the area, please come out. If you need teammates, message me and I'm probably down to team with you unless somebody else asked me first. We have had a few Halo 1 LANs, a Halo 3 LAN, and a couple private Halo 5 LANs alongside the Microsoft store Halo 5 LANs. Come play, it's fun.

You and the young god team up.  At least then there is only one blowout.  What they should do is essentially give you guys a buy into the second round. let everybody else play each other at least once first, especially since this would obviously be a pattern.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While I think it's great we got more map and game type variety in Team Arena, I never look forward to play on Refuge. Especially in Slayer it always seems to be pounding or getting pounded. As cool as sniper duels are to watch when one team gets control of both sniper rifles the game's pretty much over :(

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

snip

Our Dallas store had a large turnout as usual which is always good to see. We had over 10 teams. The blowouts are real. Me and a buddy blew out our games 25-1 or 2. Then we played a couple of ams (Article and In Reality) and got blown out. Some people I have seen getting blown out every month but still coming back with a smile and fist pumping everyone and its cool. Some people I never see again. They don't offer prizes for this reason and I think that is a good idea because it sets the tone for just have fun. Nothing is ever going to be fair or perfectly fun for everyone. Putting the pros and ams into later rounds is not a bad idea because letting rookies play other rookies does make for close games, just doubt anyone will ever do it. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think what separates CE/H2 from H3 and beyond was the quality of maps. I can honestly say when it came to 4v4 Hardcore (MLG), there weren't any maps that I wanted to skip. Certain maps involved more team synergy and it wasn't fun getting stomped when your team is a bunch of Potatoes (Warlock, Midship, etc.). But I enjoyed every map in H2 for various different reasons. Even the "eh" maps were still fun and unique in their own right (Turf & Terminal come to mind for me.)

Also, no Halo since has captured BTB the way H2 did. I was a BTB kid and I enjoyed every second.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wonder how much time is added to testing and iterating on map designs in advanced mobility halo?  Any forgers out there that have been doing it since like Halo 3?

I wonder how much time is added to testing and iterating on map designs in advanced mobility halo?  Any forgers out there that have been doing it since like Halo 3?

Not that much really.  There's always an adjustment period between games to figure out ideal scaling for the movement options and weapon capabilities.  That adjustment period was certainly longer than it's typically been.  At this point it doesn't really take any longer than it did in any other game though.  Geometric changes can be made faster than in previous games, so that neutralizes the impact a bit too.

It's definitely like designing for an entirely different game, though.  I've spent years learning how to make Halo maps, and much of what I learned is either ineffective or outright broken when applied in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Has anyone played on Guardian in hardcore? It shows that it's one of the maps,but I never played on it.

Yeah a few times. It does feel like its weighted less though.

I think what separates CE/H2 from H3 and beyond was the quality of maps. I can honestly say when it came to 4v4 Hardcore (MLG), there weren't any maps that I wanted to skip. Certain maps involved more team synergy and it wasn't fun getting stomped when your team is a bunch of Potatoes (Warlock, Midship, etc.). But I enjoyed every map in H2 for various different reasons. Even the "eh" maps were still fun and unique in their own right (Turf & Terminal come to mind for me.)

Also, no Halo since has captured BTB the way H2 did. I was a BTB kid and I enjoyed every second.

I agree with this. Even if the non-compeitive maps on H2 like backwash, Gemini, etc. I still enjoyed them from a casual perspective. 

H3 onward had maps that truly were "meh". However, it still captured that element of fun that even when I wasn't wearing my try-hard pants, I could still have a good time with friends or queue by myself.

I think Reach also captured that element of fun, but I became more frustrated with certain game mechanics that pushed me away from the game. Now, with Halo 5, even when I'm playing social it just feels so sweaty. Maybe I'm just bad at the game now...

Two Betrayals, Keyes, and The Maw.

3 levels. And Two Betrayals is the only true offender of this bc Keyes and The Maw both have large unique areas in them.

This always gets overblown.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Two Betrayals, Keyes, and The Maw.

3 levels. And Two Betrayals is the only true offender of this bc Keyes and The Maw both have large unique areas in them.

This always gets overblown.

Re-used assets means it's the same exact level!!1!!!!1!111!