CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I have played Halo campaigns since H1, but multiplayer only since Reach. HCE, H2 and H3 I have mostly played in MCC.

H3 is my least favorite multiplayer. Its ugly and seems that I never learn use H3 BR.

H2C abd H2A are my favorites. My best game is H5 but I really dont like it any more.

I really hope that Halo Infinite is not like H3.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

H2A is easily my personal favorite Halo campaign experience. 

Wait, are we not talking about campaign?

Alright real talk, I honestly get surprised when I hear people talk about how much they like the Halo 2 campaign. I was never much of a lore kid, so perhaps the story is incredible and that's why the game is liked, but I always felt Halo 2 was the weakest campaign by a fair margin. There were so many "sit in this area and don't move until you've killed three waves of enemies" moments, which I always hated in shooters, and Halo 2 is filled with them.

Like do other people not find that boring, or am I just overly sensitive to gameplay segments like that? The other campaigns had a bit of it, but generally you would fight one group of enemies in an area, then move on. Where Halo 2 I felt like I would sit in the same area for long periods of time. Also, I will never get over that ending.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright real talk, I honestly get surprised when I hear people talk about how much they like the Halo 2 campaign. I was never much of a lore kid, so perhaps the story is incredible and that's why the game is liked, but I always felt Halo 2 was the weakest campaign by a fair margin. There were so many "sit in this area and don't move until you've killed three waves of enemies" moments, which I always hated in shooters, and Halo 2 is filled with them.

Like do other people not find that boring, or am I just overly sensitive to gameplay segments like that? The other campaigns had a bit of it, but generally you would fight one group of enemies in an area, then move on. Where Halo 2 I felt like I would sit in the same area for long periods of time. Also, I will never get over that ending.

Lol all very valid points. I think for me, it was a watershed moment from a story/universe perspective, all of a sudden giving a completely new spin on and insight into the Covenant. I really enjoyed the cinematic presentation of it all, and it overall had a very Empire Strikes Back feel to it. And H2A in particular is simply the "ultimate realization" of the experience, from the beautiful visuals to the jaw-dropping cutscenes. It's just a kind of perfect snapshot in time of the Halo universe. 

That all being said, there's plenty of stuff worth critiquing from a campaign structure and gameplay standpoint for sure. I also do laugh a little bit when folks freaked out about playing as Locke when I remember the exact same thing happening with the Arbiter, we just didn't have Twitter to amplify the bitchitude. (granted, not exactly apples to apples, but still). 

• Upvote (+1) 9

I always hated the covenant levels to be honest.  Never had a problem with the UNSC ones.  Speaking of H2A, i just sent this to a buddy of mine that is getting interested in halo again for the first time in a while with the MCC re-launch pending.  I know its old and everybody has probably seen it already, but its still dope AF.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol all very valid points. I think for me, it was a watershed moment from a story/universe perspective, all of a sudden giving a completely new spin on and insight into the Covenant. I really enjoyed the cinematic presentation of it all, and it overall had a very Empire Strikes Back feel to it. And H2A in particular is simply the "ultimate realization" of the experience, from the beautiful visuals to the jaw-dropping cutscenes. It's just a kind of perfect snapshot in time of the Halo universe. 

That all being said, there's plenty of stuff worth critiquing from a campaign structure and gameplay standpoint for sure. I also do laugh a little bit when folks freaked out about playing as Locke when I remember the exact same thing happening with the Arbiter, we just didn't have Twitter to amplify the bitchitude. (granted, not exactly apples to apples, but still). 

I can appreciate that. H2A does look phenomenal, I'll definitely agree with that. I'm glad to hear the story and setting resonated strongly with you.

I never really thought of the comparison between Locke and Arbiter, that's really interesting. I wonder if the same effect will happen with Infinite where everybody complains that there was too much Locke in H5, then in Infinite they'll complain there's not enough Locke. I remember when H3 came out hearing people in my circles complain about Arbiter not being as important even when I remember them complaining about him in H2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder if the same effect will happen with Infinite where everybody complains that there was too much Locke in H5, then in Infinite they'll complain there's not enough Locke. I remember when H3 came out hearing people in my circles complain about Arbiter not being as important even when I remember them complaining about him in H2.

tenor.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

Playing as he arbiter was great from a story standpoint. The arbiter missions just weren’t as good as MC ones- I blame the lack of UNSC weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Playing as he arbiter was great from a story standpoint. The arbiter missions just weren’t as good as MC ones- I blame the lack of UNSC weapons.

Plasma weapons in general have been vastly underwhelming in Halo games.

They could've done a lot more with Covenant weapon design, but instead we got stuck with "It Hurt Shields Gud." and the Needler...which could have been the Covenant Shotgun if they'd thought to implement an alternate fire mode for it using the Melee button to discharge the remaining needles from the gun in a cone in front of you.  Instant supercombine at melee range, but useless beyond that.  Don't get me started on the Carbine, which lore-wise is a FUEL ROD RIFLE but functionally is...just a rifle.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Carbine should have a long TTK but do corrosive damage over time that keeps people descoped while it ticks. It would fulfill a unique role as the push setter-upper, instead of always just being the Bad BR. Fits into the lore too.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo 2 has the best story by far imo but Halo 3 has the best levels. I also have always liked the Arbiter's parts in H2. I even don't mind Locke in H5. The reason H5's campaign was shit wasn't because of Locke, it was because it was shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H2A is easily my personal favorite Halo campaign experience. 

Wait, are we not talking about campaign?

That's because it has the best art style in the series. I wish you guys just used the H2A Campaign art style for the rest of time. 

Halo 2 has the best story by far imo but Halo 3 has the best levels. I also have always liked the Arbiter's parts in H2. I even don't mind Locke in H5. The reason H5's campaign was shit wasn't because of Locke, it was because it was shit.

I mean the fact that you only play 3 levels as chief is kind of shit. I dont mind playing Locke or Arbiter but H2 at least had a nice division of levels b/w Arbiter and Chief.

I mean the fact that you only play 3 levels as chief is kind of shit. I dont mind playing Locke or Arbiter but H2 at least had a nice division of levels b/w Arbiter and Chief.

I don't mind not playing as Chief in a Halo campaign. I do mind about playing as a shitty character, which Locke was. Arbiter was a cool character with an interesting story, but Locke is a yes-man who does nothing interesting throughout the whole campaign beside get his ass kicked by Chief. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Carbine should have a long TTK but do corrosive damage over time that keeps people descoped while it ticks. It would fulfill a unique role as the push setter-upper, instead of always just being the Bad BR. Fits into the lore too.

The funny thing is that this exists as a REQ weapon... for the Light Rifle. The best thing they could come up with for the Carbine was to make it fully auto or make it fire Needler rounds. This could be so much more interesting than the Carbines we've always had.

@@TiberiusAudley Funny you mention the needler shotgun idea, I just read through your blog workshop series again. Do you ever plan to revisit this for the additions H5 has made to the sandbox? Could help bridge the long gap to Halo Infinite.

Btw, I legit laughed at your analysis of the H4 Mantis and how afwul it's design with the recharging shield was from a counterplay perspective. And yet here we are in H5, where the shield was not only kept, but also added to the Wasp and Banshee.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo1 will forever be a game I've played way too much by myself. No other game comes close... the story just floors me with the amount of mystery and character development. It used to be ODST but now H2A is definitely my second favorite campaign experience.

I LOVE the idea of the needler shotgun.

OT: Splyce top 1, TOX top 2

Agreed. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I LOVE the idea of the needler shotgun.

Halo's always been about the triad, guns/melee/grenades.

But they've done a poor job historically of blurring the lines between guns/melee/grenades for their interactions together.  The Spiker in H3 did an extra TWO melee damage.  TWO FUCKING DAMAGE.  It had a GIANT FUCKING BLADE ON IT but did 2 extra damage.

There's so much Halo's weapon design could benefit from taking a step back from "Hey let's introduce more explosions!" and just going, "Hey, what would actually happen if you hit someone with this?"  Overheated Plasma Weapons, where the barrel of the gun is TOO HOT TO TOUCH don't deal any extra melee damage.  Brute Shots in some of the games don't deal extra melee damage (In H2, it was a OHK with a jump-melee).  H5 REQ weapons toyed with melees a little bit with the fancy energy bayonets...but you sacrifice other bonuses to get a melee OHK.

The only interaction we have between guns/grenades is you can detonate grenades at range with a headshot weapon.

To me, Unreal Tournament is king over Halo because the sandbox isn't overloaded with multiple guns that are just reskinned versions of one another from a different species...they're all unique weapons with cool fire modes and some with even COOLER ALTERNATE FIRE MODES.  Alternate fire modes are core arena shooter experience, and it makes me fucking sad Halo doesn't have any form of that, nor anything that really changes weapon usage as you go.  It's a huge missed mark and frustration point for me.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Halo's always been about the triad, guns/melee/grenades.

But they've done a poor job historically of blurring the lines between guns/melee/grenades for their interactions together.  The Spiker in H3 did an extra TWO melee damage.  TWO FUCKING DAMAGE.  It had a GIANT FUCKING BLADE ON IT but did 2 extra damage.

There's so much Halo's weapon design could benefit from taking a step back from "Hey let's introduce more explosions!" and just going, "Hey, what would actually happen if you hit someone with this?"  Overheated Plasma Weapons, where the barrel of the gun is TOO HOT TO TOUCH don't deal any extra melee damage.  Brute Shots in some of the games don't deal extra melee damage (In H2, it was a OHK with a jump-melee).  H5 REQ weapons toyed with melees a little bit with the fancy energy bayonets...but you sacrifice other bonuses to get a melee OHK.

The only interaction we have between guns/grenades is you can detonate grenades at range with a headshot weapon.

To me, Unreal Tournament is king over Halo because the sandbox isn't overloaded with multiple guns that are just reskinned versions of one another from a different species...they're all unique weapons with cool fire modes and some with even COOLER ALTERNATE FIRE MODES.  Alternate fire modes are core arena shooter experience, and it makes me fucking sad Halo doesn't have any form of that, nor anything that really changes weapon usage as you go.  It's a huge missed mark and frustration point for me.

Halo1 had all of this and more... you had faster melee times with tinier weapons as well as faster camouflage cooldown after firing from close up weapons. The plasma rifle and pistol being able to freeze is my favorite weapon perk in the franchise! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Plasma weapons in general have been vastly underwhelming in Halo games.

They could've done a lot more with Covenant weapon design, but instead we got stuck with "It Hurt Shields Gud." and the Needler...which could have been the Covenant Shotgun if they'd thought to implement an alternate fire mode for it using the Melee button to discharge the remaining needles from the gun in a cone in front of you. Instant supercombine at melee range, but useless beyond that. Don't get me started on the Carbine, which lore-wise is a FUEL ROD RIFLE but functionally is...just a rifle.

Yup, Bungie did a poor job expanding the arsenal beyond CE. Then the Reach team totally went off the cliff...

I don’t understand why they moved away from the idea of giving weapon niche properties.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don’t understand why they moved away from the idea of giving weapon niche properties.

I've listened to a lot of podcasts and interviews from the original Bungie team but I'd love to hear from the H2/H3 ones on this topic. The drastic changes between each title is essentially what Nintendo did with Mario... except watering down the formula instead of improving on it.

Halo1 had all of this and more... you had faster melee times with tinier weapons as well as faster camouflage cooldown after firing from close up weapons. The plasma rifle and pistol being able to freeze is my favorite weapon perk in the franchise! 

Halo 2 had some good additions -- Energy Sword, Brute Shot...and some bad ones (SMG, Dual Wielding)...and then some that effectively started the "We need same-niche, different species everything" (Carbine, Beam, Brute Plasma Rifle).

Halo 3 doubled down on the same niche with Maulers (Brute Shotguns), Spikers (Brute SMGs) and Spike Grenades (Brute Stickies), and reintroducing the AR while SMGs existed... Then decided there wasn't enough power in power weapons and made the most god awful abomination of a gamechanger to BTB with the Spartan Laser.

Reach added some of my favorite weapons in the franchise (Grenade Launcher, Plasma Launcher, Focus Rifle) and trimmed a lot of stuff back down.  The Plasma Pistol was back to being a formidable weapon of its own right.

...then they decided to shit on all of Reach's "Back in the right direction" good work with Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 4