CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills with this H3 MCC build. It feels better than the old MCC version but it's still H3, a game with a ton of flaws that has not aged well ... I really enjoyed H3 in 2008-10 but it's very hard to go back.

Even with its flaws (and there are many) I enjoy H5 more than H3, at least after I get the first few H3 nostalgia games out of my system.

I would prefer watching H3 in terms of competition though

People be crazy, H3 is unplayable
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills with this H3 MCC build.  It feels better than the old MCC version but it's still H3, a game with a ton of flaws that has not aged well ... I really enjoyed H3 in 2008-10 but it's very hard to go back. 

Even with its flaws (and there are many) I enjoy H5 more than H3, at least after I get the first few H3 nostalgia games out of my system. 

I would prefer watching H3 in terms of competition though 

Yeah the nostalgia is strong right now. A few H3 tournaments would get about the same amount of teams and views because Halo people are Halo to the death, but it certainly wouldn't bring us back to some sort of Golden Age. 

We would get 50 or so teams and 10,000 or more views, while off in a corner people would be bitching about regression or wtf is the new Halo? 

The first thing that hit me when playing H3 is I really like the H5 crouch strafe. Here is some optimism for 343 getting Halo Infinite mechanics right.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yeah the nostalgia is strong right now. A few H3 tournaments would get about the same amount of teams and views because Halo people are Halo to the death, but it certainly wouldn't bring us back to some sort of Golden Age.

We would get 50 or so teams and 10,000 or more views, while off in a corner people would be bitching about regression or wtf is the new Halo?

The first thing that hit me when playing H3 is I really like the H5 crouch strafe. Here is some optimism for 343 getting Halo Infinite mechanics right.

I think you would be surprised at the growth & numbers a throwback season would provide, if only for a novelty factor. People enjoy playing the game. When people enjoy playing it, they enjoy watching it at the highest level. Look at snipedown/heinz stream numbers since playing H3 again, they both have seen great numbers in comparison to their H5 numbers

Also, H3 wallbounce & tap strafing > H5 crouch strafing, but I'll admit I too miss the control you have over your Spartans crouch when going back to H3. It's very stiff in comparison

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think you would be surprised at the growth & numbers a throwback season would provide, if only for a novelty factor. People enjoy playing the game. When people enjoy playing it, they enjoy watching it at the highest level. Look at snipedown/heinz stream numbers since playing H3 again, they both have seen great numbers in comparison to their H5 numbers

Also, H3 wallbounce & tap strafing > H5 crouch strafing, but I'll admit I too miss the control you have over your Spartans crouch when going back to H3. It's very stiff in comparison

Yeah I missed incorporating the crouch into my strafe. I kind of keep trying it in H3 out of habit and its pointless.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Friday was FFA day in H2. 4v4 didn't even start until Saturday.

I'm pretty sure Cbus 2012 ran the entire FFA tournament before beginning the 4v4 as well.

Idk how they pulled that off in Shadowrun. I know Ogre 2 and Walsh didn't have to play until early afternoon on Saturday bc of Champ bracket and seeding, and Shadowrun didn't have a ton of teams in those tournaments.

From what I remember all FFA was running on Friday except for the Championship FFA bracket which took place late Saturday nights. Final Boss didn't need to play in any Open Brackets because of their seed, so yeah they didn't even have to touch the sticks until 5/6pm on Saturday. I don't think any of them even entered the FFA except for Strongside. I think that SR open was pretty much all on Friday night and with a small amount of teams. They capped it at 16 but like most events, Team passes sold =/= teams attended so it was probably like 12 teams. Champ took place sometime Saturday. Events also used to start early friday and end pretty late each night due to the amount of players.

The only teams that could have possibly swung this were the top-seeded teams that didn't have to play through open rounds. Even still it probably was a pain. It's not like they split their time 50/50 either Halo 2 was the bread n butter of the circuit. Definitely helped that they were allowed to team with developer/playtester that had like 4 years more experience on the game than anyone else.

In a dream world, MLG would hold Philly 05 again. What is one player's dream world though can be a tournament organizer's worst nightmare.

I agree that this has a lot of potential to become something big. It really needs to be supported by the players though. I'm sure the amount of players that show up will determine whether this is something the offer again or not. $10,000 is not quite HCS 4v4 levels of money but for 2v2 that's pretty awesome, especially as something that could have just offered as free play on the side. A throwback season would be even better than a one-off event in my opinion as it gives players a goal to work towards after their event should they lose. 

Beach LAN 7 sold out weeks ago and a large number of names on that list are people going for the first time. Some of these players don't really even attend small scale LANs. We didn't even advertise any prize money despite it being less than previous years and it still filled up fast. I can only imagine what can happen with a game like 3 that was/is largely more popular and accessible. Besides Neighbor and Best Man, what other potential top teams do we know of? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's not my takeaway, it's literally the explanation given in the movie. "It's called that cause of the Metric system."

Except it was your takeaway. They said it was called the royale with cheese in France, not every country on the metric system. That was your assumption.

Beach LAN 7 sold out weeks ago and a large number of names on that list are people going for the first time. Some of these players don't really even attend small scale LANs. We didn't even advertise any prize money despite it being less than previous years and it still filled up fast. I can only imagine what can happen with a game like 3 that was/is largely more popular and accessible. Besides Neighbor and Best Man, what other potential top teams do we know of?

Flamesword is playing, Snip3down will try to, other than that people that might play(aka. haven't seen them directly say they are) are Ace, Frosty, Goofy, Elumnite, Hoaxer, Gun Shot, Enable, Saiyan(new, not old), Aries, Rammy, Ant, etc.

Clutch is playing MCC so he might also play if he's able to?

Flamesword is playing, Snip3down will try to, other than that people that might play(aka. haven't seen them directly say they are) are Ace, Frosty, Goofy, Elumnite, Hoaxer, Gun Shot, Enable, Saiyan(new, not old), Aries, Rammy, Ant, etc.

Awesome, Thanks.

I did see that flamesword tweet now that I think about it and saw Roys exchange with Tashi earlier. Sounds like there is a conflict of interest in being able to compete in both tournaments. I'm interested in seeing how they handle this because I feel a lot of potential interest might be based off who is attending. While this is better than nothing I wonder what a turn out might look like if there is no conflict. I always enjoy watching the nerds (compliment) that never stopped playing grind it out against the ones who were on top when the game was in its prime. It's an argument I've pop up numerous times in a variety of titles. 

Wait people enjoy playing H3 in 2k18 ?
  • Upvote (+1) 3

He'll be at the desk most of the weekend. Strongside, Walshy, Heinz and Elamite will be working too. With Royal2, Snakebite, Frosty, Lethul, Snipedown, Pistola, Mikwen and APG competing in H5... this could make for interesting new faces challenging Bman and Neighbor! 

My eyes are on Fantazy and Cranium.

He'll be at the desk most of the weekend. Strongside, Walshy, Heinz and Elamite will be working too. With Royal2, Snakebite, Frosty, Lethul, Snipedown, Pistola, Mikwen and APG competing in H5... this could make for interesting new faces challenging Bman and Neighbor!

My eyes are on Fantazy and Cranium.

Seems like Cranium is teaming with NYSea, so that'll probably be the best grinders team, Fantasy is teaming with Gabriel and I've never been high on him. Neither of them I'd call a new face though lol.

Whatever happened to that B12(?) kid?

Seems like Cranium is teaming with NYSea, so that'll probably be the best grinders team, Fantasy is teaming with Gabriel and I've never been high on him. Neither of them I'd call a new face though lol.

Whatever happened to that B12(?) kid?

Not sure, he stopped before H5 launched IIRC

Gabriel in a tournament is a scary thing, look forward to seeing what he can pull off.

NYSea is good but not as good as Gab/Fantasy.  I think Gab/Fantasy will take it unless the old pros really start grinding nonstop

• Upvote (+1) 1

people enjoy halo without sprint? whoda thought

Considering that Halo 3 was trashed for YEARS for its bad netcode, shot registration , bad BR etc etc..... I could be a little surprised that people like Halo 3 TODAY

But then again, this is the effect Halo 4 and Halo 5 had on the franchise.( Making Halo 3 look absolutely fantastic even in 2018)

What's the lesson? What is the take-away? 

Don't mess with Maui when he's on the break-away.

Always an upvote for Moana.

Is the 2v2 at Atlanta going to be open to anyone to enter? I'll be shooting for eUnited but I wanna play, the meme team >

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 3 with faster base speed would be great.

Disagree, H3's base speed is perfect

Actually thinking last night how perfect it would be to be on an analyst desk to break down Halo 3 games with static power weapon timers & the games slightly slower pace. You could pinpoint the exact power weapon fight that cost them the game, i.e. the fight around the 9:00 or 6:00 rockets, or 5:00 snipes etc. I realised it while watching Snipedowns stream last night. Would be dope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Disagree, H3's base speed is perfect

Actually thinking last night how perfect it would be to be on an analyst desk to break down Halo 3 games with static power weapon timers & the games slightly slower pace. You could pinpoint the exact power weapon fight that cost them the game, i.e. the fight around the 9:00 or 6:00 rockets, or 5:00 snipes etc. I realised it while watching Snipedowns stream last night. Would be dope.

Wasn't it 110% movespeed on MLG settings?

Halo 3 with faster base speed would be great.

Halo 3 with a wider FoV and aiming that isn't total shit would be fine. If you play Halo Online with a wider FoV, on the H3 maps it feels fast.  Even just a deadzone setting could do wonders for both H2 and 3 aiming.

Thinking about the whole cross-game playlist thing, i think BTB would be the better candidate.  It wouldn't be sucking players away from dedicated 4v4 lists.  Make it be Halo 2, 3 and 4.

1. Cross-Game BTB - H2, H3, H4
  2. H1 -  2v2 ranked slayer, 4v4 arena
  3. H2 - 4v4 social slayer (BR and SMG start), 4v4 ranked (BR Start, MLG settings on more maps than MLG used)
  4. H3 - 4v4 social slayer (BR and AR start), 4v4 ranked (MLG settings on more maps than MLG used), 2v2 ranked
  5. Rotational 1
  6. Rotational 2

10 playlists.  Each game is represented relative to popularity which is why Halo 3 gets an extra playlist and H4 is only in BTB

VETO must be added to each playlist. Since veto would exist, anybody that quits out of the lobby once a match is connected would be punished harshly.  

I really just  dont see how this is that hard.  You could plug in another playlist or 2 wherever you want for a total of 12.  Any more than that and finding games would be bad for some. EDIT: and the advantage to a system like this is that it moves player expectations in the right direction without totally fucking with it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Considering that Halo 3 was trashed for YEARS for its bad netcode, shot registration , bad BR etc etc..... I could be a little surprised that people like Halo 3 TODAY

But then again, this is the effect Halo 4 and Halo 5 had on the franchise.( Making Halo 3 look absolutely fantastic even in 2018)

that game was amazing on lan though. it seems like a lot of this issues have been mitigated with the new mcc release. ive been watching snipedown grind h3 and it is a joy to watch. for all its flaws, h3 was such a fun game

Wasn't it 110% movespeed on MLG settings?

Yeah, figured we were talking about the MLG speed not the vanilla speed. My b

• Upvote (+1) 1