CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Me personally id say that was more on the lines of fun, not competitive but I see that been fortnites direction and thing. Fun = Competitive, so far the things ive seen have been pretty rough. Playing matchmaking for half a million as example, not a great deal of integrity and not really open to the public as its mainly popular steamers but hey its a first attempt and theres so much time/money commited that they will succed and it will be massive. For now tho i dont think we’ve seen anything esports related so it intrigues me when i see it nominated for awards, maybe im been ignorant? Side note, i want it to succeed as esport as i think the whole BR genre will benefit and im excited to see the pros of the future birthed once mass events are up and fully open to the public, its all a tad too casual atm for my liking and im dying to see a sweat fest/hardcore match of pros.

Fortnite won't really feel competitive to me until the entire lobby is filled with competitive players. Things like Fortnite Friday and the like are definitely fun to watch, but it essentially boils down to which pro players can pubstomp the hardest, and find the most bad players to take advantage of. Summer Skirmish was more interesting to me as there was more competition, but I don't even know if it was purely competitive players. What I'm really curious about is what form the first actual even will take. I assume it will have a scoring system similar to Summer Skirmish, where points are awarded for kills but winning is still the main focus. I want to know if it will be duos or squads though. 

Ogre 2 has no one to blame but himself. If a guy like Actionman can join the scene and in around a year and make a name for himself theres no excuse. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Ogre 2 has no one to blame but himself. If a guy like Actionman can join the scene and in around a year and make a name for himself theres no excuse.

Funnily enough, the first time I saw Actionman on twitch was from an Ogre2 host. He was streaming from Xbox and had < 5 viewers.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The guy simply put has no charisma
  • Upvote (+1) 1

My 2 cents on Ogre2 and the community

I'm sure a lot of those guys back in the day were not self aware of the rise of competitive gaming. The day 1 guys started so small. Competitive Halo was just a thing among friends with no crowds to speak of. I think for the longest time that mindset didn't evolve as the scene did. 

Winning events and talking shit with the same group of 20 or so friends was what it was about.

Walshy and T2 were able to see past the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The guy simply put has no charisma

Ogre2 might be the most boring streamer in the history of streaming.  Watching SoO or other South Korean SC2 pros who literally don't understand English is more entertaining.  He just doesn't have the personality for it, which is fine, but that probably explains why he (1) didn't try to build his brand ten years ago and (2) is finding it to be difficult now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ogre2 might be the most boring streamer in the history of streaming.  Watching SoO or other South Korean SC2 pros who literally don't understand English is more entertaining.  He just doesn't have the personality for it, which is fine, but that probably explains why he (1) didn't try to build his brand ten years ago and (2) is finding it to be difficult now.

I mean, even you don't have the personality for it starting out, doesn't mean you cant develop it. For someone of his status, streaming on justintv would have been easy, people would have watched regardless of how bad his personality was. When you have tons of people watching you, its easy to then see what people like and what they don't like, reading the audience is a skill you develop, some are more natural than others, but hes just saying were toxic and he doesn't want to stream halo.

He never needed it.

That's the thing. Some people I'll watch because they're entertaining, and others I'll watch because they're amazing at the game they're playing. If they're both, then that's just a bonus. It's really easy to watch Tom play Halo, especially CE, because he's just so good at it. Even if his personality isn't engaging, it's doesn't really need to be because his gameplay makes up for that. When he streams other games though, I can't help but thinking that I could be watching someone who's better at the game, and also much more entertaining. Timthetatman for example is someone I initially started watching from Overwatch, and now watch in Fortnite. He's not as skilled at either game as some of the top tier players, but he's got the personality to make the streams entertaining. I like the idea of continuing to watch Halo players stream new games, and I do, but at a certain point something has to develop to retain viewers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know, I (like plenty of us) have had issues with Ninja in the past, but I remember a stream a year or two ago when he was encouraging the other pros in his 8s lobby to be thinking about their brand and their lives after Halo. No one should think that they can live off of tournament winnings forever. If you're going to devote your entire young life to gaming, you need to build a brand (Ninja), get an education (Snakebite), get involved in some aspect of game design (Walshy, Ghost, Ghandi ...), or split your time between gaming and a real job (Lunchbox and Roy). I don't have a ton of patience for people who don't put in the work. Anyone coming into the scene now has so many examples to look to, though I grant that Tom's generation were the guinea pigs. 

What's happening now is that people are the success ($$) of Ninja and some of the other big name streamers and they're straight up envious of it. Some feel like they laid the groundwork for those folks' success but aren't profiting from it, others think it's an easy job that anyone should be able to do. But sooner or later you have to put in the work, and if you weren't thinking ahead 5 years ago and now you're in a tough place, I'm sorry but that's on you.

100% agree

You know, I (like plenty of us) have had issues with Ninja in the past, but I remember a stream a year or two ago when he was encouraging the other pros in his 8s lobby to be thinking about their brand and their lives after Halo. No one should think that they can live off of tournament winnings forever. If you're going to devote your entire young life to gaming, you need to build a brand (Ninja), get an education (Snakebite), get involved in some aspect of game design (Walshy, Ghost, Ghandi ...), or split your time between gaming and a real job (Lunchbox and Roy). I don't have a ton of patience for people who don't put in the work. Anyone coming into the scene now has so many examples to look to, though I grant that Tom's generation were the guinea pigs. 

What's happening now is that people are the success ($$) of Ninja and some of the other big name streamers and they're straight up envious of it. Some feel like they laid the groundwork for those folks' success but aren't profiting from it, others think it's an easy job that anyone should be able to do. But sooner or later you have to put in the work, and if you weren't thinking ahead 5 years ago and now you're in a tough place, I'm sorry but that's on you.

I think in this case Ogre 2 would've been just fine doing exactly what he did if the prizepools were what they are now.

Ogre2 might be the most boring streamer in the history of streaming. Watching SoO or other South Korean SC2 pros who literally don't understand English is more entertaining. He just doesn't have the personality for it, which is fine, but that probably explains why he (1) didn't try to build his brand ten years ago and (2) is finding it to be difficult now.

Well SoO is like watching an artist perform his art
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, just sucks nobody ever bothered to play and promote these settings when they actually had some push behind them in 2016. It's literally been two years since the mass push for this began and we had a community. Took us two years past the introduction of these settings and everyone bar me and one other person dropping off from any want to play it recreationally for someone to give the settings a try and push for it.

I know this is meant to hype up the settings, but I'm actually (Hyperbolically) infuriated that this is happening just now when we dedicated so much time and effort to promote and push this the first time. Talk about 343i syndrome. Two years too late. No one plays it anymore. Nice. Two teams. When we had so many people playing it in 2016 that we had to split and host 5v5 lobbies at certain times.

Just, wow.

I think people were more hoping for 343 to create good settings and to release new maps, gametypes, etc back then. There was more interest in HCS back then due to the potential of what could have been than what there is now currently. The lack of competition for the evolved settings now when people are tired of Halo 5 regular gameplay means I think its probably got a shot of being something people would want to at least try out even if only for a change of pace. I guess down the road if the evolved settings get the ear of someone working with the h5 MM at 343 (crazy I know) they could potentially release a playlist for a couple of weeks with these settings to see if the wider halo 5 audience enjoys it. Personally I am also curious how BTB would play with evolved settings too and maybe it would give more longevity to the evolved settings if it wasnt just designed for the hardcore audience. Whether people who want classic settings just end up going back to MCC whenever 343 get around to fixing it remains to be seen but I think Evolved settings look like a good stop gap between now currently and when that day finally arrives.

You are right though, it would have been nice for these settings to catch on 2 years ago instead of present day working with a fraction of a fraction of a low population so an attempt to bring some kind of revival to h5 is a bit far fetched definitely. However I think the settings and maps for evolved have been fine-tuned to a point where it isnt seen as just an amateurish attempt at competing with 343's vision for h5 (and even if it is, it doesnt matter because h5 is past any sort of relevance nowadays so there is room for something like evolved regardless). 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Relevant Post (shameless tweet plug as well  :simms: )

When Beyond was still a YouTube channel, Ghost helped me organize a lobby of pros during Halo 4. We were getting our asses handed to us by BlackOps 2, with people like Nadeshot, etc., fully understanding how important content was/is - and they built their careers off of it. 

Anyways, one of them was Ninja - and he produced a lot of content with Beyond, just to do it. Nobody was paid. We were building our own brands, Beyond, Ninja, Gandhi, Walshy etc. we all put in work. I will say though that out of 16 pros in the lobby, I think maybe 5-6 were on board, and out of those 5-6 only 2-3 actually stuck with it for a decent period of time and contributed. I cant recall if OG2 was in there (I dont think he was), but I do remember basically every other biggest name in Halo was in there.

I will give a shout out to Walshy, Heinz, and Ryanoob.. throw Mikwen in there. If we ever needed someone to jump on a live show, or produce content, those guys were always willing.  

Building a brand (personal or otherwise) isnt an overnight journey. It took (5) years for Beyond to build to the point of being acquired for example. This shit was NOT easy. Esports suffers from too many people trying something for 5 minutes and when they dont find instant wealth and celebrity status they give up for the next 5 minute attempt. See it all the time - same thing applies to a streamer, youtuber, whatever. It will not be you flipping on your stream and you have 100,000 people in there, it just wont happen. You have to work, build, and entertain. It can take a long time.

I dont feel bad for any Halo Pro that is jealous of Ninja but wont put in the work on a consistent basis. Guy has been streaming since Justin.tv Halo Reach 1v1 against the Suddoth Twins in 2011. 7 years later he broke through. Put in the effort. 

+ rep until the end of time. You just put that so perfectly! Not just the biggest streamer on the planet though but the biggest gamer on the planet and by fucking far! 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I remember seeing Ogre 2 complaining that when he doesn't play Halo 1 he gets more viewers, but people whine that he's not playing Halo. 

I keep thinking "imagine if you built a community during the height of your popularity instead of 8 years after it."

I hate to say it and I might get hate but I really don't give a fuck either way. People only l watch ogre 2 because he's the GOAT of Halo 1 not because he has an engaging personality which is why he doesn't have that many people watch him play anything else. And you know he's pretty fucking boring tbh. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

can we take a moment to appriciate @@GoldenboyFTW. the man straight up killed it during the owl finals and yet he still comes back to halo and brings the same energy and passion to our scene

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/291018198?t=0h08m24s

here's him breaking down some mc'ing. i cannot be more happy for the success he's found

Man absolutely slayed it on the biggest stage of his career. Everyone in my living room commented how good a hype man he was.

Nice to see past and present members of the community taking off all on the same weekend (Ninja, Simms, GB, Puckett) even if we aren't center stage.

• Upvote (+1) 3

can we take a moment to appriciate @@GoldenboyFTW. the man straight up killed it during the owl finals and yet he still comes back to halo and brings the same energy and passion to our scene

here's him breaking down some mc'ing. i cannot be more happy for the success he's found

That twitch clip makes me so happy. I am extremely happy for Alex and grateful that he Is a part of our community :,)

• Upvote (+1) 6

Remember when the Halo community ran Alex out of Halo for a while? I member. We don't deserve this guy. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Remember when the Halo community ran Alex out of Halo for a while? I member. We don't deserve this guy.

Well ... I actually prefer other casters over him, he is a good host tho.

Just give me T2, Elamite and Walshy.

• Upvote (+1) 7