CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The last games are being streamed tomorrow.

REC honeymoon period over? 

I thought it was on Tuesday?

Not sure of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rec got beat 3-1 vs elevate -el Town +Bound

Idk what's going on with them anymore

Have you watched Bound? Kids the biggest online legend ever. If he translates over to an event he might win the damn thing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

His merchandising probably makes the most money. Lot of people buying the sweatband :fire: Clothing is lowkey where it's at... still waiting to buy my TB shirt! Cough.

I think he gives a sweatband to every sub. His dad knows a guy or has some kind of sweatband hookup, iirc.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Have you watched Bound? Kids the biggest online legend ever. If he translates over to an event he might win the damn thing.

Only know he's really good online, it's more the team he's a stand-in for.

Anyway, beat Witcher 3 today, great game, would be a near perfect RPG if combat was better and horse riding was more responsive(also, enemies barely giving xp is meh.)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyway, beat Witcher 3 today, great game, would be a near perfect RPG if combat was better and horse riding was more responsive(also, enemies barely giving xp is meh.)

yeah, the oils/potion system, inventory mgmt, and combat were the only downsides of that game ... still probably the best of all time, though writing/graphics likely matter too much to me

You guys seen that video of some dude calling out Ace and Dersky for laughing at his yt video?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember seeing Ogre 2 complaining that when he doesn't play Halo 1 he gets more viewers, but people whine that he's not playing Halo. 

I keep thinking "imagine if you built a community during the height of your popularity instead of 8 years after it."

I can't fault him. Back then marketing yourself wasn't really a thing. No TY, No twitter, etc etc. Walshy and T2 were the exceptions among the whole pro community.

I can't fault him. Back then marketing yourself wasn't really a thing. No TY, No twitter, etc etc. Walshy and T2 were the exceptions among the whole pro community.

MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter were around in 2007 while Halo was at its peak in popularity with Halo 3. Only thing that wasn’t would be Twitch (in 2011), but there was still JustinTV to stream.

MLG also did a great job marketing a lot of these guys with interviews, liveshows, etc on their website and events. Heck, a lot were on the USA Network for a TV show and later G4.

I understand that some may not want to take advantage of them, but to say the tools aren’t there is kinda cheap.

• Upvote (+1) 5

MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter were around in 2007 while Halo was at its peak in popularity with Halo 3. Only thing that wasn’t would be Twitch (in 2011), but there was still JustinTV to stream.

MLG also did a great job marketing a lot of these guys with interviews, liveshows, etc on their website and events. Heck, a lot were on the USA Network for a TV show and later G4.

I understand that some may not want to take advantage of them, but to say the tools aren’t there is kinda cheap.

They were available, but they weren't widely used in the gaming world in 2005-2008. As a marketing tool anyway. Montages and a couple gameplays sure.

I also assumed Shekkles meant Halo 1/Halo 2 because to me that's when the OGRE's were most popular.

• Upvote (+1) 2

yeah, the oils/potion system, inventory mgmt, and combat were the only downsides of that game ... still probably the best of all time, though writing/graphics likely matter too much to me

Well, the horse riding was also pretty sheit, and the romance options were handled pretty poorly if you decided to not go for Yen despite the game shouting "YEN+GERALT = OTP". Got to love the euro-jank though. Probably the best RPG of all time, but as for other genres I have Deadly Premonition, Halo OT(yes, I'll just bundle them together), Deus Ex: HR, Dark Souls, & maybe Metal Gear Rising above it, due to the lackluster combat. With better combat it'd probably be my second favorite game behind Deadly Premonition.

They were available, but they weren't widely used in the gaming world in 2005-2008. As a marketing tool anyway. Montages and a couple gameplays sure.

I also assumed Shekkles meant Halo 1/Halo 2 because to me that's when the OGRE's were most popular.

I refer to 2010 when he won three Halo 3 events. I'd say that was peak. The most viewers/players/interest.

Not peak of his game.

What's cooler than having your call-sign be The Ogres? To top it off you play for a team called Final Boss. They had all the potential in the world to make a huge online presence, especially at the height of their (collective) careers. 

Sure, YouTube was learning to walk and it's a lo easier to look at all of this with hindsight--but look at channels that blew up like Smosh, AVGN, etc. Those channels made followings because of their amazing PR with their own merch and interaction with fans. I'm over-simplifying it but it's interesting to think about "what if?" when looking at where things went in reality. 

youtube not widely used? that was the place to get a lot of gaming content back then. plus Justin.tv was a thing in reach when instinct was still doing incredibly well. 2gre could've leveraged his name back then with montages, made himself available for interviews and fan meet-ups and leveraged that following to sponsorships like walshy, tv shows like t2, or a massive streaming career like ninja. unless reciprocity takes off as an org, I feel 2gre his missed his chance to cash in on his gaming success

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey guys, we're still relevant enough to be on this list!

lt0gotljdxc11.png

Games that perhaps didn't meet the criteria but perhaps should still be considered at least Tier 3 based on other criteria include Sm4sh and Brood War.

I think if we transition to MCC H3 next year we can topple our great rival in Clash Royale and at least be top dog in tier 3 :kappa:

Love how Fortnites on the list and getting nominated for esports awards and its yet to have a single esports event...

• Upvote (+1) 8

Love how Fortnites on the list and getting nominated for esports awards and its yet to have a single esports event...

Ninjas thing was competitive and fun. What did you think?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ninjas thing was competitive and fun. What did you think?

Me personally id say that was more on the lines of fun, not competitive but I see that been fortnites direction and thing. Fun = Competitive, so far the things ive seen have been pretty rough. Playing matchmaking for half a million as example, not a great deal of integrity and not really open to the public as its mainly popular steamers but hey its a first attempt and theres so much time/money commited that they will succed and it will be massive. For now tho i dont think we’ve seen anything esports related so it intrigues me when i see it nominated for awards, maybe im been ignorant? Side note, i want it to succeed as esport as i think the whole BR genre will benefit and im excited to see the pros of the future birthed once mass events are up and fully open to the public, its all a tad too casual atm for my liking and im dying to see a sweat fest/hardcore match of pros.
  • Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyways I was sceptical until I tried out the settings myself but I've got to say they breathe life into H5 which really is a tired game at this point. 

Yeah, just sucks nobody ever bothered to play and promote these settings when they actually had some push behind them in 2016. It's literally been two years since the mass push for this began and we had a community. Took us two years past the introduction of these settings and everyone bar me and one other person dropping off from any want to play it recreationally for someone to give the settings a try and push for it.

I know this is meant to hype up the settings, but I'm actually (Hyperbolically) infuriated that this is happening just now when we dedicated so much time and effort to promote and push this the first time. Talk about 343i syndrome. Two years too late. No one plays it anymore. Nice. Two teams. When we had so many people playing it in 2016 that we had to split and host 5v5 lobbies at certain times.

Just, wow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

didnt they run a friday night event where you played pubs for points and gave a guy 100k for playing mk+b on his ps4? and there was the pro-am that lagged out 2 rounds into it?

good job at the pubg event btw. im not a fan of the br games, but that was impressively well run

didnt they run a friday night event where you played pubs for points and gave a guy 100k for playing mk+b on his ps4? and there was the pro-am that lagged out 2 rounds into it?

good job at the pubg event btw. im not a fan of the br games, but that was impressively well run

I though the kbm thing wasn't true and it was just a rumor started by PC players salty that a PS4 player actually won something.