CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Ya that has to be prize pool only. Starcraft players in Korea made a shit load of money.

They were basically rockstars in Korea.

Yeah, top players were reported to make six figure salaries. Most players on teams probably weren't making much money at all, but there'd be what, 80+ players making salary. Multiply that over multiple years and the money put into BW dwarfs other video games.

Also, if CS and Halo are counted as a series then it'd be more fair to also factor in SC2's prize pool and get a total StarCraft prize pool, which adds almost $4million to the total. From 2010-2011 SC2 had more prize money than all Halo titles from 2006-2011.

I don’t think that does count CS as a series, which most people don’t because well fuck CS:Source again and again and every time after. Having said that the prize pool for that horrible game was comparable to Halo over the same period iirc but I’m quite happy to leave it out of the equation.

I think they were deffo the big three though:

Halo - the all American sport pushing the open event scene.

CS - the game that spread to almost everywhere and refused to die

Bw - the game that was light years ahead in terms of infrastructure

Sounds about right, there are very few "rivalries" that get in the way of wanting to win events.

The only one in the past that I can think of would be all of carbon and T2 in H2 (lmao), could you imagine T2 and Ghandi on the same team lmfao. Dont really remember anything from H3, but in H5 I could never see Spartan and Ryanoob teaming, thats just some serious bad blood that spartan decided to start.

I remember Mackeo and FearitSelf having beef.

Oh and Snipedown and Neighbor. And Ogres and Walshy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Walshy and T2 in H2, basically anyone with T2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone from Dallas/Ft Worth on here? Been thinking how I have the space and the equipment to run a dubs tournament pretty easily... any interest in that sort of thing?

Well, Ogre 2 and Walshy  :kappa:

Funny, dropping walshy was such an epic fail, he was easily best player on FB when he was dropped. If they had dropped Ogre 1 and picked up Neighbor omggggggg, 2008 would have been an even better season, which doesn't even seem possible. I dont really remember the Neighbor vs Snip3down beef but that was also 10 years ago.

Walshy and T2 in H2, basically anyone with T2

Lmao T2 caused sooooo much drama in H2, it was hilarious, kid was str8 out of NYC

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is that Korea ? Because probable Flash was getting like 1 million dollars on salary alone.

oh for sure, if you add salaries for all proleague teams then the BW scene is huge, the top 5 players got like 200m won per year (~$180,000 not adjusted for inflation)

Well, Ogre 2 and Walshy  :kappa:

Funny, dropping walshy was such an epic fail, he was easily best player on FB when he was dropped. If they had dropped Ogre 1 and picked up Neighbor omggggggg, 2008 would have been an even better season, which doesn't even seem possible.

giphy.gif

They didn't drop Walshy because of his performance, they dropped him because of his (alleged) lack of commitment to the team, from their point of view. But even then I think it's wild to say that he was easily the best player on FB at that time.

And don't get me wrong, I love Walshy. While it may have appeared to be an 'epic fail' at the time given how the 08 season played out, ultimately it's Ogre 2 who ended up winning multiple halo tournaments & multiple national championships after Meadowlands (to Walshy's zero).

• Upvote (+1) 5

They didn't drop Walshy because of his performance, they dropped him because of his (alleged) lack of commitment to the team, from their point of view. But even then I think it's wild to say that he was easily the best player on FB at that time.

And don't get me wrong, I love Walshy. While it may have appeared to be an 'epic fail' at the time given how the 08 season played out, ultimately it's Ogre 2 who ended up winning multiple halo tournaments & multiple national championships after Meadowlands (to Walshy's zero).

it took a long time for FB to find itself (read pistola) while walshy found success on instinct and then carbon pretty much immediately. for a while there walshy outplaced FB

never forget

ogre 1 leaving in 2009 really hurt FB the most though

• Upvote (+1) 4

giphy.gif

Walshy came in second at the 2008 NC and 3rd at the 2009 NC, Ogre 1, Ogre 2 and strongside placed 4th at 2008 NC, even after picking up Neighbor who was arguable one of the best players in 2008. Ogre 2 and strongsides place 8th in 2009, even with Victory X on their team, also arguable one of the best halo 3 players ever. Ogre 2 FINALLY outpaces Walshy in the 2010 season, with the 3 best players possible, easily the most stacked roster (Hence all the Ws in 2010). Dont get me wrong, Im a huge 2gre fan, but facts are facts, Walshy was an absolute monster in 08 & 09 and ends up with a meme team for 2010 NC. I however, was unaware of him being dropped for being "uncommitted" to FB, even Strongsides has come out publicly multiple times saying how big of a mistake it was dropping walshy. Its funny though, because Dan was the problem from late 2006 through 2008, he just wasnt the same Ogre 1 he was before, he dropped off hard, and Saiyan got the blame before Walshy, but its no arguement that strongsides was a HUGE upgrade to Saiyan. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ogre 1 leaving in 2009 really hurt FB the most though

While I agree Ogre 1 leaving hurt team chemistry significantly, he just didnt have the skill to compete for 1st anymore, he fell off pretty hard late 2006. It sucks because he was without a doubt the best H1 and H2 player up until mid way through 2006, then Ogre 2 really took the reigns from his brother.

The HCS, at one point, *almost* had every top-tier organization in the world picking up Halo teams...

:mj:  :mj:  :mj:

Lol at people saying that dropping Walshy was a good move, when OG2 haf FiS/VicX and Ola to carry his ass. Ola could carry SK to tournaments wins.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Roy and Lunchbox were a FORCE at the beginning of Halo 3. Two of the most consistent Halo players period. Soviet was the Halo 2 FFA National Champion as well. Instinct was a very beast team as well.. 

If you want to compare Walsh and 2gre then choose before they teamed - Walsh's record against the Ogres in H1 4s was a positive ratio IIRC.

Roy and Lunchbox were a FORCE at the beginning of Halo 3. Two of the most consistent Halo players period. Soviet was the Halo 2 FFA National Champion as well. That was a very beast team as well..

Yeah but H3 was dominated by the god snipers, very team needed a god sniper (FiS, Snipedown, Cloud, Neighbor, etc).
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah but H3 was dominated by the god snipers, very team needed a god sniper (FiS, Snipedown, Cloud, Neighbor, etc).

Are you saying Roy isn't one?

FB didnt do much after the first h3 event. They weren't going to win together and it's not like one brogre would leave without the other. If they were trying to win either Walsh or side or both had to go.

It's such a shame it didnt work out with neighbor though. Watching him in h3's final year was insane. Sad that SK dropped Ola rather than himself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The comments above makes me sad that there isnt events every couple months with events being so sparse now. It's definitely more expensive and Halo isn't the same as it used to be but hopefully that changes in a couple years with Halo Infinite.

Walshy came in second at the 2008 NC and 3rd at the 2009 NC, Ogre 1, Ogre 2 and strongside placed 4th at 2008 NC, even after picking up Neighbor who was arguable one of the best players in 2008. Ogre 2 and strongsides place 8th in 2009, even with Victory X on their team, also arguable one of the best halo 3 players ever. Ogre 2 FINALLY outpaces Walshy in the 2010 season, with the 3 best players possible, easily the most stacked roster (Hence all the Ws in 2010). Dont get me wrong, Im a huge 2gre fan, but facts are facts, Walshy was an absolute monster in 08 & 09 and ends up with a meme team for 2010 NC. I however, was unaware of him being dropped for being "uncommitted" to FB, even Strongsides has come out publicly multiple times saying how big of a mistake it was dropping walshy. Its funny though, because Dan was the problem from late 2006 through 2008, he just wasnt the same Ogre 1 he was before, he dropped off hard, and Saiyan got the blame before Walshy, but its no arguement that strongsides was a HUGE upgrade to Saiyan. 

Walshy mentioned in one of his history videos with Roy (think it was Roy) that it all basically came down to money.

Walshy was pulling in a lot from his Red Bull sponsorship and didn't think it was fair to share what he worked for on his own. He mentioned that if they could convince up that they should be receiving a cut he was open to discussions, but it would be difficult trying to tell someone that they deserve a cut of your sponsorship money.

From his point of view, that's kind of the behind the scenes. It would be interesting to get the Ogres take on it after so many years, but the past is the past.

• Upvote (+1) 1