FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Blizzard in general are on this whole crusade against "toxicity" in games. Whatever that even means anymore.

Shocker, when you make a game where you flat out can't win without hand-holding your teammates and then force a group on random strangers to coordinate this hand-holding and assign roles they don't necessarily want to play then problems arise.

Couple that with the anonymity aspect of MM and the hyper-competitiveness of ranked and a questionable matchmaking system and you have the perfect storm of "toxicity". No matter how many overhauls they make to the report system and how many "toxic players" they ban, this is not going to change.

If the base game isn't fun to play and all players play for is shiny ranks and skins then you better make the game as fair as possible and give the player the feeling of being control and able to influence the outcome of a match. But this couldn't be further from what is happening in OW. It's far too easy to say "omg my healer sucked" or "throwers everywhere" after a loss. Compare that to something like Halo, CS, CoD or TF, where a player can carry entire matches and even with all the bullshit added to Halo nowadays, I can still say "I lost that 1v1 and they won 50-49 so I am partly to blame for this L". In OW people just report their entire team for griefing, spam insults in the chat and then search a new game and do it all over again.

Forcing teamwork through game mechanics might work in a super casual setting like Battlefield, but in a "competitive game" that OW tries to be, hell no. Of course it works in OWL because money is on the line, but the average ranked game is a cesspool of toxicity and I don't blame the players. It's at least partly by design.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I dunno man, I've been very surprised by how little cultural impact Overwatch has had.  their viewership has been steadily decreasing and I really hear nothing about their events on the usual sites (Reddit, Kotaku etc etc)

Yep.  Because it sucks to watch.  Individual plays that are made are really just computer assisted ultimate smackdowns 80% of the time.  Kill times are soooo long and team size is soooo big its a real clusterfuck to watch.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

For all the shit ninja gets, he includes A LOT of old halo pros on his stream, when he has zero obligation to do so. He also promotes the shit out of people he plays with, the guy is doing it all the right way, I dig it.

Ever since his popularity started grow when he was playing Pubg he's been encouraging halo pros to reach out and expand their audiences. He seems to genuinely want to see them succeed and I imagine if they asked he would do whatever he could to help them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I dunno man, I've been very surprised by how little cultural impact Overwatch has had.  their viewership has been steadily decreasing and I really hear nothing about their events on the usual sites (Reddit, Kotaku etc etc)

it just got picked up by disney family of networks and put on tv for the playoffs. when your game is being broadcast by abc and espn during prime timeslots, i'd say you're on the right track. it isnt the level of fortnite popularity, but that game seems hellbent on fucking up its esports scene from the word go. so far, the owl has surpassed revenue projections to the point the new teams are having to pay 60mil for buy in. hopefully now that it's on tv, they'll loosen up a bit on twitch chat, but damn twitch chat can be a cesspool at times. part of the twtich crackdown was because xqc and his followers would spam the black face every time malik was on stream. it got to the point that malik had to tweet about it. 

with the market they're entering, i'd crack down on that too

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't follow OW much cause it doesn't have much appeal to me, but isn't xqc the guy who got suspended a few times? I remember hearing about it.

Ever since his popularity started grow when he was playing Pubg he's been encouraging halo pros to reach out and expand their audiences. He seems to genuinely want to see them succeed and I imagine if they asked he would do whatever he could to help them.

The Ninja thing is not surprising, I mean these guys are his friends. The Halo community is small and the events and the grind is what these guys lives revolve around for years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The Ninja thing is not surprising, I mean these guys are his friends. The Halo community is small and the events and the grind is what these guys lives revolve around for years.

Just because you're friends with someone, doesn't mean you have to share in your success, but the fact that he does I respect that. Hes not "mildly successful", hes playing with Drake and famous people successful while making a million dollars a month. A lot of people forget where they came from, he clearly doesn't, and I like that about him, its why I watch his stream. I could care less about fortnite, but its him, and his "guests" (who are people I have played with like hysteria in Halo and WoW), and the fact that his stream isn't just a constant montage of famous people

it just got picked up by disney family of networks and put on tv for the playoffs. when your game is being broadcast by abc and espn during prime timeslots, i'd say you're on the right track.  so far, the owl has surpassed revenue projections to the point the new teams are having to pay 60mil for buy in.

all this means is that Blizzard has paid a shit-ton of money to Disney to boost viewership, this doesn't speak to any sort of organic/natural popularity for the game.  also Blizzard's original projections for viewership were hilariously low, I remember seeing that and thinking "oh okay, they're going to promote how much they've beaten projections".  

maybe OW will end up with increasing viewership and mainstream popularity, but I dunno man ... even on /r/overwatch, it reminds me of /r/halo in that the competitive threads are stickied with like 400 upvotes, and then all the other top content has 20k upvotes

In terms of viewership/tournament prize $, was Halo the top esport from 2006-2011?

Possibly, I know star craft paid a lot with world cyber games during that time period

In terms of viewership/tournament prize $, was Halo the top esport from 2006-2011?

in North America, sure; Brood War was bigger overall

edit: and apparently CS was bigger in Europe, didn't realize that!

If we saw Mikwen to trifecta, with Musa/Ryanoob/Rayne, that squad would also be quite crazy.

I could be wrong, but I thought Mikwen and Rayne were the furthest thing from buddies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

all this means is that Blizzard has paid a shit-ton of money to Disney to boost viewership, this doesn't speak to any sort of organic/natural popularity for the game.  also Blizzard's original projections for viewership were hilariously low, I remember seeing that and thinking "oh okay, they're going to promote how much they've beaten projections".  

maybe OW will end up with increasing viewership and mainstream popularity, but I dunno man ... even on /r/overwatch, it reminds me of /r/halo in that the competitive threads are stickied with like 400 upvotes, and then all the other top content has 20k upvotes

They sold the online streaming rights for the first two seasons to Twitch for $90m, what makes you think they're paying Disney?

The finals are being streamed from the Barclays center that has sold out with 20,000 tickets. I guess we'll find out this weekend what viewership looks like when you take the game out of the studio and into the stadium.

EDIT; @@SuperHippo Counter-Strike 1.6 gave out nearly double the prize pool from 2006-2011 than both H2 / H3 / HR combined.

I think the holy grail of esports viewership is being able to attract viewers that don't play your game.  I don't see that Overwatch has that ability. Its viewership is tied directly to its playerbase.  I don't know about all of you, but the only esport i watch that i haven't played a significant amount of is CS.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think the holy grail of esports viewership is being able to attract viewers that don't play your game.  I don't see that Overwatch has that ability. Its viewership is tied directly to its playerbase.  I don't know about all of you, but the only esport i watch that i haven't played a significant amount of is CS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/esports/article-5962617/Overwatch-League-playoffs-TV-ratings-Disney-XD-viewers-topped-127K.html

125+k viewers on a deep cable disney network with viewership on twitch reletively unchanged, i could only imagine there were a lot of new eyes on the event. this doesnt count numbers from mlg.tv or espn3. i'll be interested to see the numbers after the finals

They sold the online streaming rights for the first two seasons to Twitch for $90m, what makes you think they're paying Disney?

The finals are being streamed from the Barclays center that has sold out with 20,000 tickets. I guess we'll find out this weekend what viewership looks like when you take the game out of the studio and into the stadium.

I don't doubt that OW is big, my point is that it's not growing, and I don't think it will end up being the epic tier-1 next level esport that Blizzard were expecting.  Twitch paying $90m was likely predicated on inflated expectations and wanting to not give any ground to Mixer or Youtube; I doubt they'd pay $90m now, but who knows

I mean, in general, I'm happy to see OW do well, as having a high-profile esport crash and burn will only make the rest of the space look worse

• Upvote (+1) 1

Counter-Strike 1.6 gave out nearly double the prize pool from 2006-2011 than both H2 / H3 / HR combined.

So I was curious about this and added up the numbers from Esports Earnings (not 100% accurate, but reasonably close):

• Brood War, 2006-2011: $4,667,306 across 139 events
  • CS, 2006-2011: $7,371,859 across 364 events
  • H2/H3/H:R, 2006-2011: $3,820,970 across 60 events

so basically each was top in their region (Asia, EU, U.S.) for that time period, with Halo having the highest prize pool per event.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the holy grail of esports viewership is being able to attract viewers that don't play your game. I don't see that Overwatch has that ability. Its viewership is tied directly to its playerbase. I don't know about all of you, but the only esport i watch that i haven't played a significant amount of is CS.

I would recommend watching some Gears. The new competitive mode is way more entertaining than Execution, and the personalities of everyone involved are just fun to watch. I’m terrible at that game but it gets me hyped. Something about how visceral it is that stokes the primal, aggressive part of the male brain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/esports/article-5962617/Overwatch-League-playoffs-TV-ratings-Disney-XD-viewers-topped-127K.html

125+k viewers on a deep cable disney network with viewership on twitch reletively unchanged, i could only imagine there were a lot of new eyes on the event. this doesnt count numbers from mlg.tv or espn3. i'll be interested to see the numbers after the finals

Idk i read that the opposite way.  If it was on a main ESPN or Disney channel, maybe but a relatively unpopular offshoot like that tells me people didn't "Stumbleupon then stay" it tells me they were looking for it.  

Honestly, i swear i want the overwatch league to do well and draw growing numbers everywhere for the good of the industry but i really don't see it happening.  I think its good viewership has to do with the fact there are tens of millions of Overwatch players.  Not that that's a bad thing per se, viewership is viewership, but esports will never play with the big dogs if only the people that are playing the game are regularly watching the game.

I would recommend watching some Gears. The new competitive mode is way more entertaining than Execution, and the personalities of everyone involved are just fun to watch. I’m terrible at that game but it gets me hyped. Something about how visceral it is that stokes the primal, aggressive part of the male brain.

Gears is hard to watch because it literally gives me a headache with the way the camera moves.  Something about the multiplayer has never stuck with me either, though i do find the campaigns to be fun af.  I think i finally figured it out when trying to play the other day.  Almost everything you do in gears triggers an uninterruptible animation. Some of which are very long.  Maybe its just a timing thing that you have to get used to but i find myself mashing buttons in frustration because i feel like i should be able to get to my next move already.  Once i get 1 pieced a few times mid-some-random-animation i hop off and play something else.

#GitGudMeAndStopWhining

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idk i read that the opposite way.  If it was on a main ESPN or Disney channel, maybe but a relatively unpopular offshoot like that tells me people didn't "Stumbleupon then stay" it tells me they were looking for it.  

Honestly, i swear i want the overwatch league to do well and draw growing numbers everywhere for the good of the industry but i really don't see it happening.  I think its good viewership has to do with the fact there are tens of millions of Overwatch players.  Not that that's a bad thing per se, viewership is viewership, but esports will never play with the big dogs if only the people that are playing the game are regularly watching the game.

with all the advertisment of this deal, i wouldnt say people stumbled upon it, but were pulled in by it. i cant say great tv viewership will last, but you have a lot of nfl clout behind these teams that can help promote and build these brands. so far its working but we still need to see what kind of numbers season 2 brings before we can call it a lasting success but so far everything is going right for overwatch

I’m a mod for /r/CompetitiveHalo and I need to ask, did all the people from here that like H5’s gameplay migrate over there? I’m all for opinions, but I think a lot of people over there think H5 has the best MP in the franchise. I haven’t seen one post or comment praise classic Halo. Here, I think it’s safe to say most prefer classic. Did you all drive them away? Lol

• Upvote (+1) 7

I’m a mod for /r/CompetitiveHalo and I need to ask, did all the people from here that like H5’s gameplay migrate over there? I’m all for opinions, but I think a lot of people over there think H5 has the best MP in the franchise. I haven’t seen one post or comment praise classic Halo. Here, I think it’s safe to say most prefer classic. Did you all drive them away? Lol

Probably just not a lot of varied opinion over there, just checked and there's 15 users online there compared to 1048 here. 

• Upvote (+1) 5