FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Halo 5 feels incredible on PC with controller.

Using a controller on PC hurts my soul. I actially hope the HCS moves to PC in the future so we can see Halo with m&kb, the skill level will be bat shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Using a controller on PC hurts my soul. I actially hope the HCS moves to PC in the future so we can see Halo with m&kb, the skill level will be bat shit.

I play well over half my PC games with a controller  :mj:

Honestly, can't say I agree with this. I think Halo on PC would be awesome, but competitive Halo should always use controllers. m+kb will move us even further away from classic feel Halo.

What thing you use to press buttons won't change what Halo is. The only thing that can do that is adding a bunch of unnecessary game mechanics. H5 is a mess on a controller because there's just too much crap.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I play well over half my PC games with a controller :mj:

Well...ARPGs and brawler games like Batman, racing games, 2d platformers are all better with controller than m&k, so no shame in opting out of m&k while playing such games.

By the time Halo Infinite comes out in 2025 the BR fad will have passed.

Do you really think it's a fad? I don't think it will ever take hold as a true competitive Esport, but the Battle Royale format is really appealing to me, and clearly it's appealing to a large number of people in general. I don't think Halo should follow trends, because we've seen what happens when 343 chases trends, but I think the Battle Royale genre might be here to stay. It's been steadily picking up steam for a while now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you really think it's a fad? I don't think it will ever take hold as a true competitive Esport, but the Battle Royale format is really appealing to me, and clearly it's appealing to a large number of people in general. I don't think Halo should follow trends, because we've seen what happens when 343 chases trends, but I think the Battle Royale genre might be here to stay. It's been steadily picking up steam for a while now.

I think the immense popularity of BR is a fad. You're right in BR games are here to stay but I don't think this level of popularity will persist for multiple reasons.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For Halo's popularity to increase once again, I think this is a necessity.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You'd have to remove or completely rebalance the sniper if you wanted to switch to competitive on the PC.

Competitive Halo on PC would be very different to on console.

Edit: phone autocorrect...

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You'd have to remove or completely rebalance the sniper if you wanted to switch to competitive on the PC.

Competitive Halo on PC would be very different to on console.

Edit: phone autocorrect...

Make it projectile, remove the crosshairs when hipfiring, reduce ammo and I think it would be fine tbh...

It would definitely be more powerful than ever, but I don’t think it would be game breaking.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Make it projectile, remove the crosshairs when hipfiring, reduce ammo and I think it would be fine tbh...

It would definitely be more powerful than ever, but I don’t think it would be game breaking.

Couldn't be any worse than Refuge when 1 team has both snipers  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Console esports aren't the future. All the popular titles are played on PC. Reality is that average console player is casual gamer playing on TV instead of monitor, someone who doesn't care at all about esports. PC gaming community has more "hardcore gamers" who put more effort into gaming. The audience is larger.

Some things would have to be rebalanced in order for Halo to succeed on PC but I don't think the changes would have to be too drastic. I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Would you have the sniper balanced completely differently for both versions of the game? I know it’s my own personal bias but Halo was a console shooter from day one and I hope that’s how it remains at its core. It’s my favorite FPS on console by far and I’d hate to lose it to PC. Words can not describe how absolutely pissed I would be if crosshairs were removed from the sniper and I could no longer get sweet, savory no scopes on console.

Would you have the sniper balanced completely differently for both versions of the game? I know it’s my own personal bias but Halo was a console shooter from day one and I hope that’s how it remains at its core. It’s my favorite FPS on console by far and I’d hate to lose it to PC. Words can not describe how absolutely pissed I would be if crosshairs were removed from the sniper and I could no longer get sweet, savory no scopes on console.

To use an example, the sniper and magnum would be exactly as difficult to use as one another, but the magnum would take a lot more effort to use.

To use an example, the sniper and magnum would be exactly as difficult to use as one another, but the magnum would take a lot more effort to use.

Not sure what you mean when you say they would be the same difficulty but one would take more effort. Do you mean just in the number of shots required to kill your target? Please elaborate. I understand how using the sniper would be much easier with a mouse so you might need to remove the reticule while unsoped so that it is OP and just shots all over the utility weapon but on console that just isn’t an issue. Getting no scopes in Halo is extremely satisfying, especially in a game like CE where they aren’t just handed out like candy like they are in H5.

Not sure what you mean when you say they would be the same difficulty but one would take more effort. Do you mean just in the number of shots required to kill your target? Please elaborate. I understand how using the sniper would be much easier with a mouse so you might need to remove the reticule while unsoped so that it is OP and just shots all over the utility weapon but on console that just isn’t an issue. Getting no scopes in Halo is extremely satisfying, especially in a game like CE where they aren’t just handed out like candy like they are in H5.

That's exactly what I mean. Both weapons would take the same amount of skill to land a shot with because they wouldn't have any aim assist and hit dead center. The difference would lie in the magnum needing to hit multiple shots in a row.

That's exactly what I mean. Both weapons would take the same amount of skill to land a shot with because they wouldn't have any aim assist and hit dead center. The difference would lie in the magnum needing to hit multiple shots in a row.

Ok so we would basically need to versions of the gun. One with an unscoped reticule for console and one without for pc.

I wouldn’t take the crosshairs off for Console, just for PC. Also the console version would still have some aim-assists by default.

Beyond that, I don’t think the two games need radical differences to be practical in both arenas. the biggest mistake Bungie made with controls (and 343 continues to make worse), has been the move away from projectile, and the increased reliance on different aiming profiles for each weapon.

When you go back to using projectile speed differentiate a weapons effectiveness at range, you can have a weapon balancing philosophy that works the same across platforms.

Fortunately, 343 already has the perfect solution. The sniper on PC would be as you expect—hitscan or fast projectile, and pretty easy to land a body shot or headshot noscope with either using m+k. But here’s the catch: it’s the exact same experience on console. The bullet magnetism is even higher than Halo 5’s so it’s just as easy to hit noscopes with a controller.

Starting with Halo 4, this is what they’ve been preparing us for, ramping up the bullet magnetism so it wouldn’t feel jarring. They also intentionally made the mouse aiming feel bad in Halo 5 PC to make sure the sniper was balanced. They knew Halo 6 would be coming to PC. They care about us.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It'd have to be a pretty slow projectile to have any real effect on arena maps. To the point where it could well break the weapon on BTB maps.

It'd have to be a pretty slow projectile to have any real effect on arena maps. To the point where it could well break the weapon on BTB maps.

I don’t think so. Even with hitscan games, It’s not like PC players land 100% of all their shots.

The biggest concern would be limiting the value of going for body shots, which I think the lack of crosshairs and limited ammo would mitigate.

I think this came up last time... you all are overestimating how accurate KBM players are.  Yes, you can be pinpoint accurate more than console but even the best PC players still miss a lot of their shots.  If the sniper is projectile and has 0 bullet magnetism on PC with reasonably sized hitboxes it would be fine.  If the game has the same hitboxes and bullet magnetism as H5 currently does, even in the absence of any aim assist, it would be a nightmare on PC... but so would just about every other weapon.

its really not the weapons that would be the issue on PC, its the overly forgiving hit detection and over-reliance on hitscan and Halo has needed to tone that shit down even on console for the last 3 games.

• Upvote (+1) 6