CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You can be campy while staying out of the storm. Once people get good guns they’ll just stop challenging and viewing will get really boring.

They can't do it for very long though. Eventually they will be forced to play. Perhaps the competitive mode could have less time between storm movements if this playstyle proves too prevalent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd imagine with tournaments for THAT much money they will do something to incentivize both wins AND kills. Hopefully not somethign stupid like H1Z1 did in the early tournaments. It was like $100K prize pool and they'd give like $100 for a kill... who's gonna risk their tournament for $100... That's just off my memory though, it may have been different.

You can be campy while staying out of the storm. Once people get good guns they’ll just stop challenging and viewing will get really boring.

Not to harp on the poker comparisons, but I feel like there's another one. In poker, when you're short stacked and face being blinded out, players will shove all in pre-flop. often times with just slightly above average hands, needing to double up in order to keep a fighting chance. I can imagine competitive Fortnite working in a similar fashion. Players who are at 100/100, with good loot and a lot of materials may want to just wait things out until the player count drops. However someone with 0/75, who's not that kitted, with mid to low materials may want to push an engagement just for the chance of gaining more to their kit, even if the odds of winning the engagement aren't that great. I mean sure you can sneak your way to a better placement, but eventually you're just going to be swallowed up by players with max shields and resources. I suppose the difference with poker is that there's no limit to the big stack's chip count, so it makes sense for them to continuously bully the shorter stacks and keep adding to theirs. Where in Fortnite there's basically a limit at which you can't really improve your kit all that much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Purely competitive game (that is fun to play at most levels) built with a long term strategy to release content, monetize and drive viewership to events with collectables. Big orgs flocking into the scene and more money will as well.

It's crazy when you look at the arc of their pro scene, as they started with basically no history and are now becoming a major player with successful teams from multiple regions. Halo 5 is so frustrating in retrospect when looking at how well Siege has grown because they've been so successful on so many of the little things. 343 had a built in audience to start with and failed on so many levels with no plan for content/monetization after year one, a complete failure in org relations and locking themselves in with ESL for so long who were incapable/unwilling to grow the scene.

Also @@Timo is working on Siege now so I hope he is doing well.

It is incredibly successful but it's very dumbed down compared to its traditional predecessors

[i'll try to give some summary, with the disclaimer as /u/TiGeRpro said: it's not necessarily a bad game, it's just not a Rainbow, so don't assume what I'm saying is criticism. Also keep in mind that the reason this is even a hot topic is because Ubisoft PR was shouting about how 'return to the series roots' this game was going to be, so when they didn't do that old series fans maybe felt lied to.

**Health/Damage**

**Originals:** Damage was locational, and lethal. If you got shot in the arm, your aim was worse. If you got shot in the leg, you moved slower. If you were incapacitated or killed, you were done for the round.

**Siege:** Damage is numerical, not locational, which means there is no effect on your performance if you are at 100 health or 1. So you shoot a guy in the arm and he's still good to go, shoot him in the toe at low health and he dies... except, he's not dead, is he? No, in Siege you can revive an incapacitated (not dead) teammate either by hand, or by shooting them with a magical medicine dart gun (if you picked the right operator).

**Weapon Behavior**

**Originals:** Weapons had recoil that was dependent on the weapon being used (size, calibre, etc.). Due to limitations of the time and lack of first-person weapon model this was done by an expanding crosshair only. It did enforce a need for controlled firing. When you moved, your aim was less accurate.

**Siege:** Despite what was [advertised in development](https://youtu.be/qk70Yd8qa04?t=95) there is no penalty for fully automatic fire in the release version as the recoil is barely present. Interestingly, the crosshairs when not aiming down sights do not reflect where the bullets will go and shooting is incredibly inaccurate - which is not a realistic representation of firearms. When you move there is no weapon sway while ADS, so your aim remains perfect.

**Gear Selection**

**Originals:** Take any primary gun you want with any secondary gun you want and any combination of two 'gadgets' (grenades, heart beat sensor, breach charge, etc.) In the third game you could also customize each weapon - extended mags, suppressors, etc. There were no restrictions on what you took to battle.

**Siege:** You must select a character to play as (only one person per character per team, can't have two people playing "Thermite" for example) who has set weapons and gadgets available to them. This means you either pick the gadget you want, or you pick the weapon you want, but extremely rarely will an operator have both of your favourites. I've heard it referred to as being like a MOBA, you have to pick your hero based on their abilities. These are important decisions - only one character can breach re-enforced walls, only one character has the healing gun, etc. Of course, if someone else picks the character you want then you're SOL for that round.

I'll stop there, since I think those are the most major mechanical differences in gameplay. you could get into big discussions about the 'lore' of the characters used, the lack of singleplayer, etc. But in terms of how multiplayer plays, I think these are the biggest divergent factors.

When you take it from the originals, and make it a character-based, numerical health shooter with unrealistic recoil and no aim penalty while moving, I think people are justified in saying it is more 'arcade' than the originals. And again, that doesn't make it a bad game - but it does mean that Ubi didn't necessarily follow their own PR about 'returning to the series roots' gameplay.

EDIT: Also, if you're a fan of the old games I recommend checking out [PepperBelly's](https://www.youtube.com/user/PepperBellyO1/videos) videos on Siege. I think he does a good job on assessing the differences, as well as using his experience as a soldier to reflect on weapon behavior WRT realism.] Quoted from a Reddit comment I saved a little while ago.

• Upvote (+1) 3

**Siege:** Despite what was [advertised in development](

) there is no penalty for fully automatic fire in the release version as the recoil is barely present. Interestingly, the crosshairs when not aiming down sights do not reflect where the bullets will go and shooting is incredibly inaccurate - which is not a realistic representation of firearms. When you move there is no weapon sway while ADS, so your aim remains perfect.

Thankfully this sight misalignment is being fixed (As well as a recoil rework). The were testing a fixed version of this and it was so good, but its been delayed because the full-auto sidearms (Bearing 9, SMG-11, SMG-12) all got fucked and became impossible to use with the new recoil.

I'd imagine with tournaments for THAT much money they will do something to incentivize both wins AND kills. Hopefully not somethign stupid like H1Z1 did in the early tournaments. It was like $100K prize pool and they'd give like $100 for a kill... who's gonna risk their tournament for $100... That's just off my memory though, it may have been different.

I'm sure it'll be a bit different, but in PUBG Competitve you get a certain point allocation per kill and a certain point allocation per placement value. So just say like a 7th finish with 17 kills nets you like 1500 points (with like each kill earning you 50 points and the 7th gets you the remainder - kills worth a total of 850 and the 7th would be another 650) and a team finishes 2nd with 3 kills earning likke 2200 points - 50x3 and 2nd place gets you 2050 points. That's the general system they use for most tournaments, and I think it is pretty good, although the weighting I used is a bullshit example I just came up with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Snip3down and Neighbor as a to2 would be pretty neat.

I was watching Neighbor yesterday and he seems like he has a lot of catching up to do.

Hope he gets the green light to compete though.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was watching Neighbor yesterday and he seems like he has a lot of catching up to do.

Hope he gets the green light to compete though.

apparently this falls under sweepstakes law so neighbor won't be able to compete for a certain timeframe after his end date with 343. i dont know the ins and outs of this but i would guess it'll be 6 months - 1 year

apparently this falls under sweepstakes law so neighbor won't be able to compete for a certain timeframe after his end date with 343. i dont know the ins and outs of this but i would guess it'll be 6 months - 1 year

Yeah I just hope he keeps trying to get better and can compete soon. Its fun to watch him try to catch up with everything

If i switch to a 1x all my games and apps is attached to my account, and be ready.to install correct?

If i switch to a 1x all my games and apps is attached to my account, and be ready.to install correct?

Yup.

it looks like you'll either need both boxes on and on network to do a network transfer or an external hdd to transfer everything over. or you can uninstall everything on e one and reinstall on the 1x

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/upgrade

Yeah although unless you have fiber I'd try to do a network transfer if possible with games like H5

• Upvote (+1) 1

holy fuck they must sell tons of skins. i could never get into watching pubg competitively and that hasnt seemed to go anywhere, not sure why fortnite would succeed where they didnt. BR isnt my thing though so i could just be out of the loop

I think the difference is Fortnite is (for the most part) very balanced. Compared to pubg, the game is very deep and creative, especially considering how crazy building gets. I could see large build-offs between duos or squads looking absolutely magnificent from a spectator standpoint. The replay mode they have can already present things so well.

holy fuck they must sell tons of skins. i could never get into watching pubg competitively and that hasnt seemed to go anywhere, not sure why fortnite would succeed where they didnt. BR isnt my thing though so i could just be out of the loop

Fortnite is F2P, add in that it's stylized, and voila.

It sucks that there wasn't much done in the way of spicing up Halo 5 to sort of revitalize it. It's going to be a wasteland until Halo 6 aside from LAN events. It was dead as fuck for weeks before 2018 Worlds, the biggest event of the year; now it's going to be even worse. Nobody wants to play or stream this game at this point, unless you're Demon D apparently You can't just throw in mediocre Forge maps and remove 2 abilities that largely don't affect the meta that much and think that that's enough for a game 3 YEARS in its life. It's 2018, not 2007, why are we blowing our load at these LAN events with nothing sustainable (lul) in between? I'm thankful as fuck for MLG and the upcoming events, but I can't be the only one who noticed a month long break in August? What the hell man.

I get it, it's really hard to breathe life into a 3 year old game and pro circuit but holy hell, can we get something a little more drastic? Like, oh I don't know, removing sprint? Changing the sandbox a bit? I really don't know what to suggest but that's not my job. All I know is this isn't gonna cut it.

Splyce wins the next couple events btw.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It sucks that there wasn't much done in the way off spicing up Halo 5 to sort of revitalize it. It's going to be a wasteland until Halo 6 aside from LAN events. It was dead as fuck for weeks before 2018 Worlds, the biggest event of the year; now it's going to be even worse. Nobody wants to play or stream this game at this point, unless you're Demon D apparently You can't just throw in mediocre Forge maps and remove 2 abilities that largely don't affect the meta that much and think that that's enough for a game 3 YEARS in its life. It's 2018, not 2007, why are we blowing our load at these LAN events with nothing sustainable (lul) in between? I'm thankful as fuck for MLG and the upcoming events, but I can't be the only one who noticed a month long break in August? What the hell man.

I get it, it's really hard to breathe life into a 3 year old game and pro circuit but holy hell, can we get something a little more drastic? Like, oh I don't know, removing sprint? Changing the sandbox a bit? I really don't know what to suggest but that's not my job. All I know is this isn't gonna cut it.

because Halo is updated at a snails pace. They're just not interested in actually sustaining their games otherwise they would have a real team and actually put out content and hotfixes in weeks rather than years. Like it used to be kind of debatable but now pretty much the whole industry has passed them up as far as maintaining games and reacting quickly to problems

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

OT but does anyone else watch the TV show Happy? I just finished season one and it was amazing.

because Halo is updated at a snails pace. They're just not interested in actually sustaining their games otherwise they would have a real team and actually put out content and hotfixes in weeks rather than years. Like it used to be kind of debatable but now pretty much the whole industry has passed them up as far as maintaining games and reacting quickly to problems

That's what happens when you use a legacy AF engine in a continuous delivery world.

OT but does anyone else watch the TV show Happy? I just finished season one and it was amazing.

It's the show with Patton Oswalt as an imaginary CGI animal, yeah? Been meaning to watch it but got so many shows to catch up on/watch; Altered Carbon, Netfix's Marvel series past Defenders/Punisher(can't remember if Pun-Pun was before or after), Archer's latest season, Always Sunny's latest season, Stranger Things S2, Series of unfortunate events S2(S1 started to drag on due to the similar arc structures), and been meaning to pick up Justified. Too many good shows these days.
  • Upvote (+1) 1