CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

A change in the times is upon us. this is fucking huge.

we've been saying it on team beyond for fucking ever. 343 SELL WEAPON SKINS, especially organization skins. req packs are cute but theyre so small

• Upvote (+1) 1

Actually excited to see some pro player streams (Hopefully) with the new settings / maps. 

A refresh was certainly needed after worlds, and its good to see pros heavily involved with the settings decisions. 

PS...God I hope sanc makes the cut...

:Toxic:

I wish it was a bigger refresh or mechanic overhaul of the game. Removing ground pound and spartan charge takes away the jarring viewership for people at home but sprinty bois will be as speedy as ever and it wont slow down. I really wanted something bigger like radar gone/sprint gone or nade markers gone. Maybe even try removing weapon pads and weapon call outs/static spawns (also get rid of fathom plz), just something slightly game breaking to crack open some new life into H5. The maps are a good edition but i dunno, the best will still be the best and spylce will still smash everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Was about to post this :tear:

Tencent owns 40% of Epic btw so the future is not bright.

also

> be ninja

> best fornite player earth

> land on top of building

> no gun anywhere this place

> get killed

> best fortnite player earth lost against rng

How does this work

Epic was already dead to me as a company since 2006/2007 anyways when they became all about the money and not the community. UT3 was practically made to showcase the graphical capabilities of their new engine(if you think H5 is overtextured you havent tried to decipher an enemy player on a dark map in UT3) even if that meant alot of people couldn't run it at the time cutting of a large portion of the fan-base and causing others to constantly run into frame-rate drops galore. They completely lost my respect with their complete abandonment of UT4 though and their broken promises about its development. UT players could give a fuck about Fortnite or "Pub master ninja shooter X" I hope it flops honestly but it wont due to sheer numbers.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Was about to post this :tear:

Tencent owns 40% of Epic btw so the future is not bright.

also

> be ninja

> best fornite player earth

> land on top of building

> no gun anywhere this place

> get killed

> best fortnite player earth lost against rng

How does this work

PUBG made it work by having multiple rounds (thus reducing variance), but I'm not sure that's sufficient.

My theory is that Epic will come up with a new (reduced RNG) game mode for tourneys only?

People need to relax on the "omg RNG" with Fortnite. There are so many ways to minimize RNG influence so it doesn't become a big deciding factor. When it comes to Fortnite, RNG is only prevalent in 2 areas. The first is landing, and the second is RPGs/Grenade Launchers. They could easily minimize RNG during landing by making it so every player starts with 1 grey pistol and 1 grey tactical shotgun and 30 of every material. Ultimately, RPGs and Grenade Launchers need to go. The Grenade Launcher especially. It becomes near impossible to counter against someone that knows what they are doing. After some small changes like these, RNG really isn't that extreme. You can completely negate every single weapon by spam building 1 wood wall over and over. A scar versus a grey AR is completely manageable due to building. This isn't PUBG where two people are moving to the circle in the open and have to fire at each other and the better gun wins. The difference between gun rarity is almost irrelevant in competitive matches. 

Halo 1 has one of the biggest skill gaps of any game ever. The skill gap is to the point Ogre 1/2 never lost a single map while they were on host. Halo 1 also has a TON of RNG in the spawn system. You can spawn next to power ups, spawn on instant high ground/power positions, spawn on enemy nades, etc. At some point how you react to RNG actually increases the skill gap. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

How will fortnite determine winners though? It can’t be purely last man standing, at least with current settings, as this would encourage people to camp. Pure number of kills would be anticlimactic if the winner was already decided before the game was over. I’m not sure what the best solution is here.

It's easy for Epic to put up $100,000,000 for Fortnite esports when they made $230,000,000 solely from Battle Pass sales in March.

Imagine how much they make from skins too...

• Upvote (+1) 7

Poker is RNG is fuck- it still works as a high stakes “competitive” sport.

Someone can get lucky and win every now and then. But placing high consistently means you got skills. With the right format competitive fortnight will be a success, bolstered by the fact that EVERYONE and their momma plays it casually and want the cosmetics.

• Upvote (+1) 5

what the effing shit ... just when I thought Ninja couldn't get any bigger lol.  

I'm curious about how this might affect other FPS games, how many mid-tier pros from other esports will make the switch?  (Contra and Danoxide already play a shit-ton of Fortnite, for example)

It's tough to say because you have to think of the percentage of players on mobile (likely small), PS4, and Xbox. I know Nickmercs won one of the Friday tournaments, but I'd guess the vast, overwhelming majority of console players would get absolutely throttled by even mediocre PC players. It'd be tough for a console professional, who isn't being paid to play the console game professionally (i.e. has less time to play other games) try to go pro on the PC version. People like Karma from Optic CoD who is a great PC gamer and has plenty of time to spare (especially now) could theoretically make the switch. The point I'm trying to make is that maybe not as many players will try to go pro as we might think. It's definitely going to affect the FPS player pool, on all platforms and games, but maybe not as drastically? I don't know, time will tell. I also wonder what Fornite would be like if it were an FPS game. Could be interesting? Building would certainly become more difficult. 

I wish it was a bigger refresh or mechanic overhaul of the game. Removing ground pound and spartan charge takes away the jarring viewership for people at home but sprinty bois will be as speedy as ever and it wont slow down. I really wanted something bigger like radar gone/sprint gone or nade markers gone. Maybe even try removing weapon pads and weapon call outs/static spawns (also get rid of fathom plz), just something slightly game breaking to crack open some new life into H5. The maps are a good edition but i dunno, the best will still be the best and spylce will still smash everyone.

Can take the guy away from the game, but can't take him away from trying to make it better. I like that someone in a position not just as a consumer of the game but part of the esports scene wants to see these changes. It isn't just us fans, it's people in the right spots too. I am sure the pros want sweeping changes (most of them if I had to guess), but 343 is stubborn and won't admit their base game is shit for competitive play.

A game mode with fixed loot spawns and possibly remove some weapons. Guarenteed what they're gonna do.

This is what PUBG fails to do competitively. Their "compromise" for most tournaments is to increase the AR spawn rate to 2x the normal rate and play like 10-20 rounds per day of a tournament. I don't know why, but I envisioned a cool/competitive BR game being 2 teams of 4-6 drop in to set areas on a map (much smaller) and loot up and try to face off that way. I've never seen it done and I think that would be cool with the right settings, but I'm no TO and I don't play any of the games competitively. But it could be cool I guess? I don't know, just my two cents. If Fortnite hits the right settings, people are going to go ballistic over it.

Someone can get lucky and win every now and then. But placing high consistently means you got skills. With the right format competitive fortnight will be a success, bolstered by the fact that EVERYONE and their momma plays it casually and want the cosmetics.

You can make the argument that in something like poker you're playing the opposing players as much as you're playing the cards/percentages. Little bit less RNG there and a little more psychology, but your point still stands. If Fortnite takes the right steps for competitive play, they might have an even bigger monster on their hands. It's the most viewed game on Twitch right now and will continue to be until something that is as fun to play for as big of a majority comes along. I can't stand the game, but you can't argue with the numbers - people on all platforms are playing it because the game mostly works, mostly well, and people are having a lot of fun, and Ninja is a monster promoter as well as high-tier celebrities like Drake and professional athletes playing it. It's got a lot going for it right now.

BxbyJ will always just be the kid who walked out of an FFA because he wasn't going to win.

I mean, there’s another thing he’s known for...

• Upvote (+1) 3

How will fortnite determine winners though? It can’t be purely last man standing, at least with current settings, as this would encourage people to camp. 

That's kind of what the storm is for...

• Upvote (+1) 3

I dunno, variance is so insanely high in poker that you can be the best player in the world and bomb out of 50 high-roller tournaments in a row (like Eric Seidel in 2015-16 or whatever it was), that wouldn't really work with an esport ... if the best team in Fortnite didn't win a single tournament in a year because of RNG weapon spawns then that would be a problem.  Variance eventually corrects itself but obviously takes longer depending on how high the RNG is

How will fortnite determine winners though? It can’t be purely last man standing, at least with current settings, as this would encourage people to camp. Pure number of kills would be anticlimactic if the winner was already decided before the game was over. I’m not sure what the best solution is here.

likely it'll be squads, like PUBG esports

You can make the argument that in something like poker you're playing the opposing players as much as you're playing the cards/percentages. Little bit less RNG there and a little more psychology, but your point still stands. If Fortnite takes the right steps for competitive play, they might have an even bigger monster on their hands. It's the most viewed game on Twitch right now and will continue to be until something that is as fun to play for as big of a majority comes along. I can't stand the game, but you can't argue with the numbers - people on all platforms are playing it because the game mostly works, mostly well, and people are having a lot of fun, and Ninja is a monster promoter as well as high-tier celebrities like Drake and professional athletes playing it. It's got a lot going for it right now.

Yeah

I’d argue that the psychology part of poker is part of the skill. And if you just play the percentages, you won’t get very far. A skilled player is one who repeatedly mitigates the impact of a low percentage hand, and minimizes the impact of his/her opponents high percentage hands.

The same would be true in ‘competitive’ fortnite. Everyone’s gonna be dealt a bad hand sometimes. The best players are the ones who most often come out on top when the odds are against them and don’t blow it when the odds are in their favor.

Static Weapon spawns are great. It's the OP weapons on the pads that are the problem. Agree with the callouts/onscreen markers though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Static weapon/power up spawns are the two things that make slayer not a total campfest. With better emphasis on these two slayer will become far more interesting imo

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wonder if 343 has ever considered personal weapon-drops, where a player can set the spawn point of a chosen weapon after getting a certain amount of kills.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's kind of what the storm is for...

You can be campy while staying out of the storm. Once people get good guns they’ll just stop challenging and viewing will get really boring.