CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Played Fortnite for maybe thirty hours with some friends. It was...okay? Not really something I have any desire to keep playing. I won't call it garbage since I can respect that it's a unique take on it's genre and has developer effort put into it...but I don't think it nearly deserves to be as popular as it is either. I don't get how people can play it so long without getting bored, is it the skins?

On the topic of competitively merit, I think if somewhat re-designed Battle Royale could be competitively viable. Two small teams on a symmetrical map that is roughly 1/4th the size of the current map (so large enough for the teams to evade each other but not large enough for it to take hours for them to find each other). Weapons have no RNG mechanics, loot (guns, trees, etc.) always spawn the same in the same locations. Two buses, one per team, fly across the map parallel to each other in opposite directions.. Plenty of decision making on where to land and what items to prioritize, but the actual map and loot is 100% consistent from game to game.

So basically an arena shooter played on a large map with one life and you pick your initial spawn?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Played Fortnite for maybe thirty hours with some friends.  It was...okay?  Not really something I have any desire to keep playing.  I won't call it garbage since I can respect that it's a unique take on it's genre and has developer effort put into it...but I don't think it nearly deserves to be as popular as it is either.  I don't get how people can play it so long without getting bored, is it the skins?

That's always been my main issue with the actual game. It doesn't really deserve its popularity. It's casual fun, but not much more. And it can't be the skins unless people get hooked on spending money. EVERYTHING cosmetic is behind a paywall, bar some really dumb shit.

I think the hook comes from the CoD complex the game has. It's a game where the random factor in each game does a few things. It gives everyone a chance at a win. When I first started, I was getting skated on by some kid when he and I were the last two up. I got a random crit with a shotgun at range and beat him when he for all intents and purposes had me with a height advantage. But the randie shotgun came in clutch and gave me a cheap win. Ten bucks says everybody has these moments at least once early on and it hooks them, because they get the TASTE of an adrenaline rush win and need more. And given this is the same game where you're not punished for leaving early, you can die early enough, and just dashboard and go right back in. It's quick, almost mindless stimulation where losing isn't actually "losing" so you never feel bad about it. And it's probably fueled by the fact each game is randomsauce. "Anything can happen, next time will be different". Before you know it, you've spent an hour dying over and over dropping Tilted Towers because you're a braindead fuckwit who isn't Ninja.

The alternative to that is living long enough to where when you DO die, it's not a big concern, and leaves you closer to a victory with that drive to win increased, or outright winning the game and having that victory. Again, they're making losing a near non-issue and just amplify how it feels to win by setting what could hypothetically be 99 eyes on you, making you the center of attention in a victory. I think the hook is all psychological like CoD was, unintentional or not. And those it hooks most are most likely the people who don't normally play these games and understand them. Hence why the casual audience is huge when third person shooters in general aren't really (Not to generalize) the top of the gaming world. Has to be psychological manipulation since the gameplay itself isn't really engaging or depthful on consoles, where a lot of these players are. PC masterbuilders are another story.

• Upvote (+1) 1

also Fortnite is literally among the least fun shooters I've ever played, the fact that it's the most popular FPS is a sort of cosmic mystery to me

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fortnite just hit all the buttons right.

Rode the wave of a rising genre

Excellent design and quality. All other games were basically in alpha/beta hell. (Pubg, rust, dayz, h1z1 etc) This is a streamlined experience.

The bulding mechanic gave it something no other br had.

Since winning is super hard, people dont see it as actually winning. People feel accomplished just obtaining kills or lasting long. People can play aggressive or defensive, their own way.

Free.

And its still getting frequent updates, keeping the game fresh

Its not a secret of why its so popular.

• Upvote (+1) 7

What time is this thing starting today?

Why are we talking about Fortnite when we have three days of halo starting?

3pm EST

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's always been my main issue with the actual game. It doesn't really deserve its popularity. It's casual fun, but not much more. And it can't be the skins unless people get hooked on spending money. EVERYTHING cosmetic is behind a paywall, bar some really dumb shit.

I think the hook comes from the CoD complex the game has. It's a game where the random factor in each game does a few things. It gives everyone a chance at a win. When I first started, I was getting skated on by some kid when he and I were the last two up. I got a random crit with a shotgun at range and beat him when he for all intents and purposes had me with a height advantage. But the randie shotgun came in clutch and gave me a cheap win. Ten bucks says everybody has these moments at least once early on and it hooks them, because they get the TASTE of an adrenaline rush win and need more. And given this is the same game where you're not punished for leaving early, you can die early enough, and just dashboard and go right back in. It's quick, almost mindless stimulation where losing isn't actually "losing" so you never feel bad about it. And it's probably fueled by the fact each game is randomsauce. "Anything can happen, next time will be different". Before you know it, you've spent an hour dying over and over dropping Tilted Towers because you're a braindead fuckwit who isn't Ninja.

The alternative to that is living long enough to where when you DO die, it's not a big concern, and leaves you closer to a victory with that drive to win increased, or outright winning the game and having that victory. Again, they're making losing a near non-issue and just amplify how it feels to win by setting what could hypothetically be 99 eyes on you, making you the center of attention in a victory. I think the hook is all psychological like CoD was, unintentional or not. And those it hooks most are most likely the people who don't normally play these games and understand them. Hence why the casual audience is huge when third person shooters in general aren't really (Not to generalize) the top of the gaming world. Has to be psychological manipulation since the gameplay itself isn't really engaging or depthful on consoles, where a lot of these players are. PC masterbuilders are another story.

I don't think it's fair to boil it down this way. The skill ceiling in Fortnite is incredibly high. Console play has come a long way as well. It sounds like you just don't like the game but need to find some dramatic reason why lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

also Fortnite is literally among the least fun shooters I've ever played, the fact that it's the most popular FPS is a sort of cosmic mystery to me

Completely agree with you in that I tried Fortnite a bit, and just couldn't even be bothered to want to play it anymore. Only thing I take issue with in your post is it's not an FPS it's a TPS. Either way though, I only play/played Fortnite because it's one of the few games a few of my friends play. I can't stomach it otherwise. I just like to have a fun time gaming with my buddies a lot of the time. You know, Doc does a lot in his character of ripping games apart and shitting on them, but honestly, the more I see what is out there, the more I agree with him when he says the industry is in a shit place as far as shooters go. There isn't a ton of innovation and there isn't a lot of good games out there. I know we have talked it to death around here, but what happened to games coming out and being playable right out of the box? What's the deal with the new norm of pushing an unfinished (even a mostly unfinished) game to the masses and then pretending to be the hero and update it weekly just to remove game-breaking bugs? Looking at Halo 5 here of course, Call of Duty does this, PUBG of course, and Fortnite does it as well. While Fortnite is a stretch, they purposely change the meta of the game with every new patch and it blows my mind? Are people who game now clamoring for constant change? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Fornite was/is fun, but I haven't bothered playing it since S2 I think.

Something that nobody here seems to have brought up; 8 teams will advance from the open bracket; 4 will go to into pool play, and 4 straight into Champs losers round 1, the bottom 2 teams in each pool go to losers bracket.

Big props to @@Clap and MLG for doing something we've all wanted for a long while, just wish we had a better turnout and game to go along with it.

Agreed, this is the best possible format for AMs and pros alike! This GIVES AMS a reason to grind again, they can make it into the champ bracket and really have a shot at some glory again!

• Upvote (+1) 1

While Fortnite is a stretch, they purposely change the meta of the game with every new patch and it blows my mind? Are people who game now clamoring for constant change? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

this has been the norm for games like LoL and DotA

• Upvote (+1) 1

final predictions?  i'd love to see rec or tox win it, but maybe splyce will shake off the rust from those 2ks

Hope to see some of you miserable folks at the venue today! <3 

*the above should be taken in a light-hearted, fun-poking tone, the original poster loves you all - to varying degrees at least*

Nah, that was pretty spot on, but we love our misery! 

Hope NOLA is a banger of an event!

final predictions?  i'd love to see rec or tox win it, but maybe splyce will shake off the rust from those 2ks

1) REC

2) TOX

3) RNG

4) SPLYCE

Im going bold here, Im predicting that Splyce, with the extreme lack of practice, and not being able to fly like they used to, will get wrecked by the teams that are much better at positional play, their madness tactics are done and over.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can't really predict pools as we don't know the open bracket teams, and there's some good ones like Trifecta & Tapping's team. So without those spots my incomplete predictions are;

A: Rec, Str8/Open, Athletico
B: Tox, Hitmen, Fable/Open
C: Renegades, 2-4 depends on the open bracket team
D: Splyce, Elevate, Lucid/Open

And for the final standings, Splyce will get the benefit of the doubt until they lose at LAN, the top 4 are set in stone, and I'd bet Elevate will be top 6, not too sure about the others.

1. Splyce
2. Rec
3. Tox
4. Renegades
5/6. Elevate
5/6. Hitmen
7/8. Str8
7/8. Lucid/Tapping's team

I think splyce's lack of practice may hurt them but I still don't see them placing outside of the top 3. Hoping Rec takes this one.

Also should be interesting to see how the new EU "god squad" stacks up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

:fire: :prayers: :D IT'S EVENT DAY :D  :prayers: :fire:

Member rep has been raised to 117 for the weekend, let's try and keep it civil and fun as always. Best of luck to those competing in Gears and Halo over the weekend, excited to see MLG put on another stellar showing!

Predictions:
1) Splyce
2) REC
3) ToX
  • Upvote (+1) 6