FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

Beach LAN 7 + Halo CE Tournament 8/18-8/25

I'll definitely try it out if it's released. though I would prefer original controllers lol

HDMI cables already exist but are laggy. Is there anything to suggest this cable will be different?

No.  This cable will introduce at least 2 frames of lag (if not more) just like the Pound HDMI cable and any regular old analog to digital converter box.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No. This cable will introduce at least 2 frames of lag (if not more) just like the Pound HDMI cable and any regular old analog to digital converter box.

Is there any possible hard mod that could be done to output a digital signal without latency?

Is there any possible hard mod that could be done to output a digital signal without latency?

I doubt it.  I imagine that even if you were able to somehow replace the existing video chip with a digital video encoder and hdmi port, you'd still need to hack the kernel to get the xbox to do anything with it.  As far as I know, the only hope for playing lag free og Halo 1 on an LCD would be by either getting the source code and making a proper PC port, or using an xbox emulator.  Currently there are two emulators in development and from what I understand one of them plays Halo 1 at around 10 to 15 fps using a beast of a computer.  I don't think system link works yet but progress is being made.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've made this point before, but never gotten a proper/technical reply:

The Smash Melee community has done a lot of research into RCA->HDMI conversion. The converters they have identified as "lagless" (i.e. less lag than one can perceive) should work perfectly for H1, shouldn't they? After all, SSBM gameplay should be much more sensitive to miniscule increases in latency than H1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've made this point before, but never gotten a proper/technical reply:

The Smash Melee community has done a lot of research into RCA->HDMI conversion. The converters they have identified as "lagless" (i.e. less lag than one can perceive) should work perfectly for H1, shouldn't they? After all, SSBM gameplay should be much more sensitive to miniscule increases in latency than H1.

I looked into this a little bit and found there is an hdmi adapter (that only works on the Wii) made by a company called Sewell that had low latency in mind design-wise.  Apparently it only adds a few milliseconds of lag however the trade off is poor picture quality and aliasing.  For anyone that is curious why this is, I suggest reading up on (or watch some youtube vids) the Nyquist–Shannon Sampling Theorem.  There are other converters out there however it seems they are either really expensive or have other issues such as random blackouts.  With all this being said maybe there is hope for a low latency converter for the xbox.  However it would require a manufacturer to decide to use low latency as their selling point.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Turns out my unit isn’t going to the field until next month, and my chain of command is totally cool with me going to this. Bought my plane ticket last night :)

• Upvote (+1) 8

Turns out my unit isn’t going to the field until next month, and my chain of command is totally cool with me going to this. Bought my plane ticket last night :)

Could this possibly mean HARD WAY COMMENTARY?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I doubt it. I imagine that even if you were able to somehow replace the existing video chip with a digital video encoder and hdmi port, you'd still need to hack the kernel to get the xbox to do anything with it. As far as I know, the only hope for playing lag free og Halo 1 on an LCD would be by either getting the source code and making a proper PC port, or using an xbox emulator. Currently there are two emulators in development and from what I understand one of them plays Halo 1 at around 10 to 15 fps using a beast of a computer. I don't think system link works yet but progress is being made.

Xqemu gets like 15-25 fps on split screen. It's made huge progress in the last two months.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The last time Hard Way announced a Halo LAN and it was put on youtube, all the CoD players saw it and felt inadequate due to Hard Way's clear and consistent play by play commentary on a game that takes actual skill, unlike the shit they play.   For the first time in their lives, they realized that all the cheetos and mountain dew in the world won't make up for the obvious shit skill curve in CoD compared to Halo CE.   

Just as they are leaving their safe spaces almost a year later, Hard Way is about to put them right back where they belong.   Will we ever see them come out of the safety of grandma's cozy basement once the caps are uploaded?  Can they ever catch a break?  No mercy Hard Way..... no mercy.

• Upvote (+1) 5

GREAT NEWS  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Xqemu gets like 15-25 fps on split screen. It's made huge progress in the last two months.

Yo, seriously? That's awesome.

Yo, seriously? That's awesome.

Yeah it's pretty incredible. Check out John Godgames Emulators on YouTube. He has a good rig so he gets the best performance.

With the new i9 CPUs announced I wonder if we could even achieve 30fps with those.

Here is the information on the BL7 Tourney schedule, format, rules, etc.: http://beach-lan.com/tournament-details/

Thanks to @@Devilman for taking the lead on this and doing a great job.

Prize pool currently sits at $3,000, but we’re hoping for some additional donations!

Few more days, boys! Can’t wait!

This structure and ruleset is perfect. Love that Downrush is replacing Rat Race.

Great job guys! Looking forward to the stream.

Silos, once again, has made a generous donation of $300, bringing the prize pool to $3,300!

Donations can be made via PayPal to [email protected]

@@Silos, BL8?

I'm definitely going to try! I need to stop beating up on people in my hometown eventually right?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This structure and ruleset is perfect. Love that Downrush is replacing Rat Race.

Great job guys! Looking forward to the stream.

you phrase that in such a way that sounds like rat race was even considered. Downrush is not replacing anything lol.

you phrase that in such a way that sounds like rat race was even considered. Downrush is not replacing anything lol.

*Pat Race @Patch

• Upvote (+1) 1

Updated the OP a bit but have them behind spoilers. I'll clean it up a bit more and have the prize pool out of the spoiler. Also, I need a mod to change the title of the thread if possible.

If we have some team lists I can add those too but I'm most will be figured out at the LAN itself.

@@Silos Let's try to figure out something next year man. The dates are usually set pretty early and I would love to help pitch in and get you a plane ticket to come on out. I'm pretty sure you've dished out even more than I have in the past few years and are our biggest donor of the scene. 

• Upvote (+1) 2