Sign in to follow this  
MultiLockOn

Soulsborne Discussion

I've been on a souls binge recently so I was hoping there's other people here that also have experience in this franchise. Bought ds3 about 7 months ago on sale w/all the DLC as my first souls game ever and fell in love. Doing my 1st playthrough of DS1 right now and wow, this game is a masterpiece. So many times this game has audibly made me go wow what the fuck is that. Probably the best level design I've ever seen in a video game as well.

Stoked for their new souls game teased at the game awards!

• Upvote (+1) 1

DS1 has the best level design of like any game ever as you said. Once you actually beat the game and become familiar with all of the little shortcuts it'll blow you away how everything is so perfectly pieced together. The rest are fun too but that game in particular is special compared to the rest. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

DS1 has the best level design of like any game ever as you said. Once you actually beat the game and become familiar with all of the little shortcuts it'll blow you away how everything is so perfectly pieced together. The rest are fun too but that game in particular is special compared to the rest.

It is literally brilliant, in every imaginable way. There's no better way to put it. Halfway through the game I realized I could go to sens fortress, anor londo & the library area, new londo, drakes valley, some area through darkroot fortress, the illusion wall in the bottom of blighttown (that I still haven't done no spoilers), the catacombs, demon ruins...there was like 8 destinations I could choose from and it's not even an open world game. It just all brilliantly links back to firelink. It seriously opened my eyes to how good single player level design could be.

• Upvote (+1) 2

DS1 > DS3 > DS2

DS2 is sort of like the Halo 5 or Halo Reach of the franchise.  It's still ostensibly a souls game but it feels so different from all the others.  It's far more linear in level design, the combat feels more clunky (for example riposting isn't instant, you knock people to the ground then choose to stab then, also the feedback on hitting enemies isn't as good), it's easier in numerous ways, and the overall *feel* is less gloomy and more high-fantasy.  With NPC's all over it hardly feels lonely like the other two either.

It's still a good RPG don't get me wrong, and in fact it's generally the preferred title for online PvP, but didn't have Miyazaki work on it like DS1 and DS3 did and it really shows.  DS3 is definitely the true sequel to DS1.

DS1 > DS3 > DS2

DS2 is sort of like the Halo 5 or Halo Reach of the franchise. It's still ostensibly a souls game but it feels so different from all the others. It's far more linear in level design, the combat feels more clunky (for example riposting isn't instant, you knock people to the ground then choose to stab then, also the feedback on hitting enemies isn't as good), it's easier in numerous ways, and the overall *feel* is less gloomy and more high-fantasy. With NPC's all over it hardly feels lonely like the other two either.

It's still a good RPG don't get me wrong, and in fact it's generally the preferred title for online PvP, but didn't have Miyazaki work on it like DS1 and DS3 did and it really shows. DS3 is definitely the true sequel to DS1.

Yeah I'll be getting to ds2 after I finish this ds1 run and maybe a new game +. But if the rumors are true, and it looks like they are, on the 15th fromsoft is announcing not only a new souls type game but a ds1 remaster (which it desperately needs). My life would slip away lol

Dark Souls has actually overtaken Halo as my favorite game franchise. I feel like even though Dark Souls 2 is at its "lowest point" it is still a hell of a lot better than other games out there. I would recommend getting the Scholar of the First sin edition which changes some stuff up about the game to make it more enjoyable and includes all the DLC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dark Souls has actually overtaken Halo as my favorite game franchise. I feel like even though Dark Souls 2 is at its "lowest point" it is still a hell of a lot better than other games out there. I would recommend getting the Scholar of the First sin edition which changes some stuff up about the game to make it more enjoyable and includes all the DLC.

Are there any advantages to getting it on pc as opposed to Xbox?

If you have a good enough PC for it to run it will almost certainly run better on the pc than the xbox but to be honest it is preference. I prefer playing it on PC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah if your PC is decent to good it'll run wayyy better as said above. Its also nice just being on a PC to tab out and do other things while you play. They all have controller support just like on the Xbox so really if you can run it well PC is always going to be the best platform for these games. Reasons to play on console are generally control familiarity, friends and lack of a strong enough PC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sounds good. I'm going to finish ds1 in the next week or two but holding off on getting the DLC because of the ds1 remaster rumors

If you do PVP as well. Because you can take advantage of the menu weapon switching meta in pvp alot easier.

Dark Souls 1's level design is god-tiered. 3's is also great, but it's not as ambitious as the first, which was one single world that looped back on itself constantly.

Dark Souls 2's level design is... ehhhh.

The only fights I have left are Nito and whatever is in the painted world. I believe I've done everything else but idk because I'm playing through solo and not looking anything up

The only fights I have left are Nito and whatever is in the painted world. I believe I've done everything else but idk because I'm playing through solo and not looking anything up

The way to the final area is super cryptic. You need to collect some shit in some really obscure places

• Upvote (+1) 1