Sign in to follow this  
aBaldGinger

Return Plasma Rifle

Would anyone else like to see the return of an anti-shield, niche plasma weapon to counter overshield/provide supporting fire? Halo 4 doesn't actually have any traditional plasma weapons beyond the weak plasma pistol, even though plasma weapons have the ability to add extra depth to the game. They add more dynamics to picking up overshield and allow for good team-based shooting without forcing a long kill time on the primary precision weapon. I envision such a weapon to be very similar to the CE plasma rifle, with a fast projectile velocity, scaling damage with more successive shots, and the ability to stun targets. By tapping the trigger, a player would be able to fire a steady stream of bolts without ever overheating at about 240 RPM. This mode would be ideal for supporting team members, damaging shields and slowing an enemy's strafe down. However, a player could also hold down the trigger to increase the ROF though he would have to let the weapon cool down. Three shots to take down shields if all hit simultaneously.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What about the freeze you in place plasma rifle? bring it back!!!

I mentioned that in the OP, it would be a great support weapon as it would slow down the enemies, making them easier for your teammates to shoot.

I mentioned that in the OP, it would be a great support weapon as it would slow down the enemies, making them easier for your teammates to shoot.

I read it so fast that i missed. I agree with everything u said.

can you imagine some herpaderp clown sprinting at you for the melee and you can just hold his ass in place with the PR? that would be glorious

I WANT THIS NOAW.

The only Plasma Rifle worth keeping is the CE one.

The Suppressor does much higher damage to shields than it does health.

I want the Plasma Rifle to return so badly.. I hate the Storm Rifle, what a cheap ass Assault Rifle that weapon is, it has no unique qualities at all. All Plasma Weapons in Halo 4 are crap, the Plasma Pistol's Primary Fire is useless.. takes around 13 shots to kill a fully shielded person with that thing, totally pathetic. The Plasma Pistol is meant to be a 6-7 shot kill weapon, but each Pistol in this game suffers from severe Nerfing.

All Plasma weaponry, including the  Plasma Pistol are meant to have a stun effect to their shots, due to the sheer heat of their rounds. I would also like to see them implement a slow Recharge to the Plasma weaponry, as if the Plasma Battery would recharge slowly overtime, making the weapons even more unique.

Another thing, is for the love of Halo, bring back Plasma Grenades that actually seem to be engulfed in Plasma like the Halo 2 Plasma Grenade, those looked so epic and you can easily tell when someone was stuck. It is very hard for me to tell when someone is stuck in Halo 4 as the glow from the Plasma Grenade is so weak.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes please to the OP, and omg I want it now to what cT envisioned.

I want H3 Spartan Laser.

Ew no. Power? Yes. Ease of use? No. Halo 3's Laser was way too dominant for three reasons: it was incredibly powerful, easy to use, and vehicles were practically immune to small arms fire. A much better balance can be struck.

I want the Plasma Rifle to return so badly.. I hate the Storm Rifle, what a cheap ass Assault Rifle that weapon is, it has no unique qualities at all. All Plasma Weapons in Halo 4 are crap, the Plasma Pistol's Primary Fire is useless.. takes around 13 shots to kill a fully shielded person with that thing, totally pathetic. The Plasma Pistol is meant to be a 6-7 shot kill weapon, but each Pistol in this game suffers from severe Nerfing.

All Plasma weaponry, including the  Plasma Pistol are meant to have a stun effect to their shots, due to the sheer heat of their rounds. I would also like to see them implement a slow Recharge to the Plasma weaponry, as if the Plasma Battery would recharge slowly overtime, making the weapons even more unique.

Another thing, is for the love of Halo, bring back Plasma Grenades that actually seem to be engulfed in Plasma like the Halo 2 Plasma Grenade, those looked so epic and you can easily tell when someone was stuck. It is very hard for me to tell when someone is stuck in Halo 4 as the glow from the Plasma Grenade is so weak.

Yeah seriously, I totally agree with you on the plasma weapons. I seriously hate how the plasma pistol's primary fire was nerfed just because it was put into loadouts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah seriously, I totally agree with you on the plasma weapons. I seriously hate how the plasma pistol's primary fire was nerfed just because it was put into loadouts.

It makes no real sense honestly, I understood why they would want to reduce the amount of Charged EMP Shot's you can use, but otherwise the damage should not have been affected by such a simple change. I for one am not the type who will bother doing that Plasma Pistol kills commendation until I see them improve it and make it as good as it should be once again :/. 

The Boltshot has a similar problem.. its Primary Fire is also very weak, forcing people to have to use the Charged Shot to even get kills with the weapon is a awful idea, just makes more campers.

Ew no. Power? Yes. Ease of use? No. Halo 3's Laser was way too dominant for three reasons: it was incredibly powerful, easy to use, and vehicles were practically immune to small arms fire. A much better balance can be struck.

It was a power weapon. It wasn't that easy, now with this one it is almost impossible to laser a spartan. I for one didn't see the problem in being able to laser opponents across a fair distance. I always thought it was reasonable for the Spartan Laser to be able to compete with a sniper. Not dominate but at least have a chance. Halo 4 laser is good for vehicles only and no I don't think it is enough.

It was a power weapon. It wasn't that easy, now with this one it is almost impossible to laser a spartan. I for one didn't see the problem in being able to laser opponents across a fair distance. I always thought it was reasonable for the Spartan Laser to be able to compete with a sniper. Not dominate but at least have a chance. Halo 4 laser is good for vehicles only and no I don't think it is enough.

Play it again. The H3 Laser had an incredible amount of aim assist. I agree that you should be able to Laser someone across a distance, but it shouldn't be easy to aim. The issue with the Laser is how it fires - it fires 5 individual beams in quick succession. In H3 it only took 2 of the 5 beams to kill a Spartan, whereas in Reach & H4 it takes 3+. This means that you have to keep the enemy targeted for several frames more in order to get the kill.

I'd have no issue with the Laser being buffed enough to kill anything with a direct hit, but it doesn't need to be super easy to aim again.

Ultimately the game would be better without it at all - vehicle combat should actually involve vehicles fighting each other, not one team getting a Laser and being able to completely invalidate the opposing team's vehicles; that's a huge slippery slope mechanic. Making vehicles just weak enough to be damaged by infantry teamshot without making them too fragile makes for a much more dynamic & competitive combat scenario than adamantine vehicles that can only be hurt reliably with heavy weapons.

Play it again. The H3 Laser had an incredible amount of aim assist. I agree that you should be able to Laser someone across a distance, but it shouldn't be easy to aim. The issue with the Laser is how it fires - it fires 5 individual beams in quick succession. In H3 it only took 2 of the 5 beams to kill a Spartan, whereas in Reach & H4 it takes 3+. This means that you have to keep the enemy targeted for several frames more in order to get the kill.

I'd have no issue with the Laser being buffed enough to kill anything with a direct hit, but it doesn't need to be super easy to aim again.

Ultimately the game would be better without it at all - vehicle combat should actually involve vehicles fighting each other, not one team getting a Laser and being able to completely invalidate the opposing team's vehicles; that's a huge slippery slope mechanic. Making vehicles just weak enough to be damaged by infantry teamshot without making them too fragile makes for a much more dynamic & competitive combat scenario than adamantine vehicles that can only be hurt reliably with heavy weapons.

Halo 4 seems to have it right in a sense, power weapons are still very effective but so are team shots.

I'm not sure how I feel about removing the laser all together but I agree it is the most effective weapon against vehicles we've ever had. Perhaps too effective? I don't know, I just don't like it in Halo 4.

Thanks for explaining the mechanics from game to game.

Also give the plasma rifle a delayed headshot ability, say four shots to the head for a headshot.

CE had that almost exactly. It was a 9SK if you aimed for the head after sheilds popped. Otherwise it is a 13SK.

If you could have the Plasma Weapon's once they break the energy shield, be able to kill in 1 shot to the head or 3 shots to the body, that would be perfect. Nice interesting fact is that it would also line up with Halo Canon as well, and 9 shots to kill with the Plasma Rifle is really nice, I miss that weapon especially Halo CE's. Halo CE had everything close to perfect, that honestly is the Halo I would reference if I was 343, dat sandbox.