Sign in to follow this  
TTUVAPOR

Moving on from Halo

It seems like I'm finally moving on from H5, haven't enjoyed it much in the past couple months and will probably just sell my XB1 and try H6 on PC.

Does anyone know legit ways to play Halo on PC with a controller? I don't really have any interest in the Russian Halo 3 thing, but isn't there a Halo 1 Custom Edition or something? Is H2 vista playable somehow? I own the original H1 on PC but it was kind of a mess when I last tried it a couple years ago (laggy custom games and settings were way too complicated to fix).

You can use a controller to play Halo Custom Edition but you're going to need to use chimera and Xpadder to fix a couple of issues. I personally use an Xbox One controller to play Halo Custom Edition but you can also use an Xbox 360 controller, OG Xbox S type controller, and an OG Xbox Duke contoller. If you plan on using either an OG Xbox S type controller or an OG Xbox Duke controller then you're going to need an Xbox Controller to PC USB Adapter Cable and XBCD drivers. Here's a couple of links to everything you need to setup your controller for Halo Custom Edition.If you're interested in playing Halo Custom Edition then I highly recommend joining the Halo 1 Hub discord so you can find some people to play with. We use the Halo 1 Hub discord to organize games for GMYF public servers, GMYF test servers, XLAN, and sometimes MCC. Here's an invite link to the Halo 1 Hub discord. There are currently four GMYF public servers and two GMYF test servers. The GMYF public servers aren't as good as the GMYF test servers because they don't have chimera on them and don't have the most up to date maps on them. Chimera fixes the movement on Halo PC.

Update (June 2017): 002 has successfully resolved both the directional limitations and the walk/run speed limitation (analog movement) with the release of his client/server mod Chimera (~build 23). The game's movement netcode was rewritten to accommodate this feature. New functionality includes full 360-degree directional movement & full range of walk/run speed. Controller movement is now on-par with the original Xbox version.

NOTE: this fix requires both the client & server to be running the Chimera mod.

As far as I'm aware stunt_man plans on putting chimera on the GMYF public servers once chimera is completely finished.

In order for you to be able to play on the GMYF public servers all you need is Halo Custom Edition and HAC2 so that you can auto download the maps that are on the GMYF public servers. No password is required in order for you to play on the GMYF public servers.

In order for you to be able to play on the GMYF test servers you need access to the maps that are on the GMYF test servers and the chimera build that is compatible with the GMYF test servers. In order for you to get access to the maps that are on the GMYF test servers and the chimera build that is compatible with the GMYF test servers you need to join the Halo 1 Hub discord server and ask @@stunt_man for the map testers role. Once you have the map testers role you will be able to play on the GMYF test servers because you will have access to the maps and chimera build that are on the GMYF test servers.

Here are the locations for the four GMYF public servers.

• Los Angeles
  • New York City
  • Manchester
  • Bangalore
Here are the locations for the two GMYF private test servers.
  • New York City
  • Los Angeles
Here's a link to the server list. The server list currently doesn't have the GMYF Bangalore server listed because it's pretty new. The GMYF server info is also pinned in the main_chat in the Halo 1 Hub discord.If you have any questions regarding the GMYF servers or Halo Custom Edition then I highly recommend joining the Halo 1 Hub discord and ask stunt_man or someone else in the discord your questions.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

amazingly helpful, thanks

NP dude. Here's an invite link to a H2V Cartographer Discord.

I personally don't play Halo 2V Cartographer so I don't know much about it. If you have any questons regarding Halo 2V Cartographer then I highly recommend asking either @@Ling Ling, @@Hootspa, or @@sk0ls your questions.

Here's a post from @@Ling Ling about Halo 2V Cartographer.

Edit: Here are some informative links for H2V Project Cartographer.

I just dont believe in that logic, there has been plenty of indie AFPS made who tried to "dumb down" the mechanics, particularly the movement, and make it easier for new players and failed. There was that team elimination-based Arena FPS with the vibrant colors that threw all of its chips into e-sports and failed using that model. I forget its name because it was so forgettable... at that point the game is just a lesser version of Quake clan Arena.

The resurgence of oldschool hardcore tactical cRPG's, namely Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin(started as a kickstarter now a 2017 GOTY candidate), would be a good model for AFPS devs to follow. Make a modern AFPS that encapsulates everything great about oldschool shooters with a modern feature set on par with other AAA FPS that is true to its roots and doesn't cheat its core audience. DOOM 2016 kind of did that, to great success as well. Why cant Quake? Here are my thoughts from another thread with my criticisms of the QC beta...go out guns blazing or why even bother to make a new Quake?

some quotes

I don't think what I was talking about has been made. I'm not advocating for watering down games like Quake and UT. I'm suggesting a completely different IP with a completely different focus. No arena FPS game focuses on FFA, which is arguably the most accessible mode. In a 1v1, even a slight skill difference will result in a landslide victory usually. In team modes, worse players are discouraged from playing either by their teammates or by the notion of ruining the fun for their teammates. With FFA, you aren't as discouraged because it's often not just about winning or losing but continuous improvement. You might start out getting last every game, but maybe after a few months you starting finishing higher even if you're still losing. Are 1v1 and team modes bad then? No, I think classic Quake and UT games do those modes extremely well. But maybe that isn't the path to renew interest in hardcore shooters.

There isn't a great competitive free-for-all game on PC... or console for that matter. It's all team games with diluted individual significance. Now imagine if you had an arena shooter that was easy to learn and but gave experienced players a ton of tools to master. Difficult weapons that kill fast so FFA doesn't revolve around kill steals. Movement that is tied to weapons: rocket jumping, stake jumping, plasma climbing, grappling, teleporting into enemies, sliding to build speed (on residue from bio or ice weapons). This way the movement has interesting situational uses without starting out as an ever-present prerequisite to making common jumps and moving at a proper pace for the size of maps (for the record I highly enjoy the movement in Quake). Add a threatening utility weapon that isn't overbearing like the machine gun from Quake to reduce randomness in FFA. Make more diverse powerups common such as cloaking, vampiric damage, extra jumps--things that radically change how you play like Quake's battlesuit that makes you immune to splash damage. A focus on projectile weapons with interesting properties such as velocity inheritance, forward-acceleration for rockets, no railgun, maybe having projectile speed increased by mouse speed prior to firing to encourage higher and more difficult sensitivities and FoV... all so that veterans of the genre would have to learn something new for a change instead of playing the exact same games for the last 15 years. The strafe acceleration could be fine-tuned to encourage bluffing with strafing back or stopping completely (achieved with initially similar but distinct acceleration curves), as well as enable one player to outstrafe two players oriented at 90° to each other by adding acceleration boosts to orthogonal acceleration inputs (achieved by adding a term to the magnitude of acceleration based on the cross-product of instant velocity and instant acceleration input).

The old arena shooters are hard to master but also hard to get into. The new "arena shooters" (arena-lite if you ask me) are possibly[?] slightly easier to get into but also not fun once you learn how the game works. What hasn't been tried is a genuine, intelligent effort to make a legitimately new arena game that is simple to pick up but only gets deeper as you progress in skill, with a focus on free-for-all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The change in developer and direction of the game has resulted in Halo's demise. That's it.

I can't expect Halo to feel right and "real" ever again as long as 343 is at the helm with the direction they are going. Halo is no longer a leader, but a follower. And that's what's truly sad about its state of affairs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think what I was talking about has been made. I'm not advocating for watering down games like Quake and UT. I'm suggesting a completely different IP with a completely different focus. No arena FPS game focuses on FFA, which is arguably the most accessible mode. In a 1v1, even a slight skill difference will result in a landslide victory usually. In team modes, worse players are discouraged from playing either by their teammates or by the notion of ruining the fun for their teammates. With FFA, you aren't as discouraged because it's often not just about winning or losing but continuous improvement. You might start out getting last every game, but maybe after a few months you starting finishing higher even if you're still losing. Are 1v1 and team modes bad then? No, I think classic Quake and UT games do those modes extremely well. But maybe that isn't the path to renew interest in hardcore shooters.

There isn't a great competitive free-for-all game on PC... or console for that matter. It's all team games with diluted individual significance. Now imagine if you had an arena shooter that was easy to learn and but gave experienced players a ton of tools to master. Difficult weapons that kill fast so FFA doesn't revolve around kill steals. Movement that is tied to weapons: rocket jumping, stake jumping, plasma climbing, grappling, teleporting into enemies, sliding to build speed (on residue from bio or ice weapons). This way the movement has interesting situational uses without starting out as an ever-present prerequisite to making common jumps and moving at a proper pace for the size of maps (for the record I highly enjoy the movement in Quake). Add a threatening utility weapon that isn't overbearing like the machine gun from Quake to reduce randomness in FFA. Make more diverse powerups common such as cloaking, vampiric damage, extra jumps--things that radically change how you play like Quake's battlesuit that makes you immune to splash damage. A focus on projectile weapons with interesting properties such as velocity inheritance, forward-acceleration for rockets, no railgun, maybe having projectile speed increased by mouse speed prior to firing to encourage higher and more difficult sensitivities and FoV... all so that veterans of the genre would have to learn something new for a change instead of playing the exact same games for the last 15 years. The strafe acceleration could be fine-tuned to encourage bluffing with strafing back or stopping completely (achieved with initially similar but distinct acceleration curves), as well as enable one player to outstrafe two players oriented at 90° to each other by adding acceleration boosts to orthogonal acceleration inputs (achieved by adding a term to the magnitude of acceleration based on the cross-product of instant velocity and instant acceleration input).

The old arena shooters are hard to master but also hard to get into. The new "arena shooters" (arena-lite if you ask me) are possibly[?] slightly easier to get into but also not fun once you learn how the game works. What hasn't been tried is a genuine, intelligent effort to make a legitimately new arena game that is simple to pick up but only gets deeper as you progress in skill, with a focus on free-for-all.

The main reason I feel that QC feels "off" to me is that its not running solely on Id tech 6. I feel DOOM(2016) has a bit of a graphical edge over QC, but whats crazy is that Doom seems to run a lot better/take up a lot less resources at the same . I know QC is running on some proprietary hybrid engine that isn't as efficient as IDs latest and greatest because they didn't want to make it crazy to run for lower-end users. Oh well...heres hoping Vulkan makes the game run a lot better on high end graphic cards. 

There is so many experienced, intelligent, people who have tried everything in the book but make an AFPS with AAA features that is BETTER(as in builds on the foundations of Q3A not try to imitate it code line by code line) or DIFFERENT than Q3A/CPMA. Now better is subjective, but some of the indie AFPS like Toxikk and Shootmania that have come through the revolving door just aren't very good Arena shooters because they are poor imitations of higher quality and better known games like UT and Quake that already exist. Reflex is the only AFPS out there that I can with a straight face maybe say it could be better than CPMA, but then again without the Quake community and esports scene it just pales in comparison and people come to the same conclusion, "why even bother if its just a worse imitation gameplay and community wise than a series that already EXISTS?" That approach has excited nobody, its time for new ones or the genre might just stay dead forever.

It either has to be an ORIGINAL new AFPS IP, the closest we have gotten is LB in that regard but that is really Arena-lite and we all know how well that fared against the likes of OW aka the new "WoW of FPS" as I like to call it.

Or it has to BETTER than Q3A/CPMA and the best chance we have of that is QC but its already ruined Duel and already universally thought of as not feeling as freakin amazing as Q3A/CPMA did, particularly movement physics wise, so its probably not going to be a better game in all reality. Oh...and there has to be a sizable community. Something no AFPS has really accomplished since UT 2004/QL. Theres a reason why all the AFPS diehards have Q1/Q3/UT 99/Ut2k4 emblems and not Q4 or UT3 emblems... because those were the last great AFPS games and communities lmao. You dont see any LB or UT4 emblems either...dead or dying games tend not to be remembered fondly. It'd be like being a Reach kid on the MLG forums in 2011...nobody is that guy BECAUSE THAT GUY DOESN'T EXIST. Pretty soon all the Q3/UT emblems will be gone and it will just be OW emblems and Genji trolls like on the bnet forums imo.

I like your ideas though to try and do something new with the mechanics and maybe an objective-focused or low-barrier AFPS is the answer. Its just hard to see that game succeeding no matter what in the current climate.

Heres a great video on the subject if your bored.