Sign in to follow this  
TTUVAPOR

Moving on from Halo

Even though a lot of the competitive people I used to LAN h2 and h3 with moved on, I usually get each Halo game at release because I have a ton of other casual friends from town that love to play. Even still not all of those guys stuck out H5 so I'm not exactly sure how many will be getting Halo 6. I feel like if I ended up buying Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 then it's likely I'm going to buy Halo 6. I don't preorder games though.

Warzone Battle Royale with 15 selectable heroes (the characters from Halo 5 campaign, Arbiter, and a handful of others who are mostly from crappy side books and comics that most people don't read) that all have various different traits, plus the new "totally not Payload" gametype. There won't be any movement abilities though, so 343 and their Waypoint/reddit legion will go on about how "343 listens to the fans" and "we're finally returning to the roots of the franchise."

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was dead long before Fortnite. The sheer amount of energy and resources it would take to get that game off the ground again in any meaningful way... It’s simply not worth it. Ut4 will float through space along with dayz as an example of early access with the right intentions falling flat on its face.

well, this's Epic we're talking about. the thing games like UT4 and QC have and games like Toxikk and Reflex don't is a big dev/publisher to support them. that's why games like QC and Halo 5 both had a 1 million dollar tournament, even though both games are doing pretty bad, while the prize pools for a very popular game like Rocket League still haven't surpassed 250k dollars.

this's exactly why I believe that UT4 and QC are the only serious attempts at reviving the arena genre atm.

OW kind of ruined the "AFPS revival" on its own TBH just take a look at Quake "Champions" lol. Its all anyone is talking about even in the Quake/UT communities which is sad its come to this point. To 98 percent of today's shooter audience(including PC), the names Quake and Unreal Tournament mean little to nothing.Its like a nostalgic memory to most people and they prefer to keep it that way I guess.

OW just followed the steps of TF2, tbh. But we have yet to see a serious attempt at reviving the genre, with a big dev and publisher releasing a decent arena game that isn't plagued by elements from another poplar shooters, a huge marketing campaign to get people's attention, enough dev support for years after the game's release, some kind of cosmetic microtransaction system (similar to CSGO or RL) to keep people invested in the game, and lastly, enough population so that new comers don't get repeatedly destroyed by vets making the game frustrating and inaccessible (which's the case with all AFPS games nowadays).

• Upvote (+1) 1

well, this's Epic we're talking about. the thing games like UT4 and QC have and games like Toxikk and Reflex don't is a big dev/publisher to support them. that's why games like QC and Halo 5 both had a 1 million dollar tournament, even though both games are doing pretty bad, while the prize pools for a very popular game like Rocket League still haven't surpassed 250k dollars.

this's exactly why I believe that UT4 and QC are the only serious attempts at reviving the arena genre atm.

OW just followed the steps of TF2, tbh. But we have yet to see a serious attempt at reviving the genre, with a big dev and publisher releasing a decent arena game that isn't plagued by elements from another poplar shooters, a huge marketing campaign to get people's attention, enough dev support for years after the game's release, some kind of cosmetic microtransaction system (similar to CSGO or RL) to keep people invested in the game, and lastly, enough population so that new comers don't get repeatedly destroyed by vets making the game frustrating and inaccessible (which's the case with all AFPS games nowadays).

TF2 isn't exactly "liked" in the hardcore AFPS community either(Or the TF1 community for that matter)...its seen as the bastard noob child of QW:TF a mod that originated in the Quake community. QW:TF was more like an AFPS in terms of speed, individual skill, and physics TF2 is more of a slower class-based shooter with hats. I think OW is accepted because Blizzard is so loved in hardcore PC gaming circles(or at least they used to be idk about their recent releases) when its really the ultimate "shooter dress-up" type game and not very original just a TF2 with Blizz lore and a few more unique heroes and the map design is pretty uninspired as well even compared to other "hero FPS". I call it like I see it...Overwatch is not a very good competitive FPS in the traditional sense, nor is it very fun to watch because the skill elements and strategy is not very advanced which makes it kind of boring to watch. I predict It will have trouble sustaining long-term success as an esport because of this. However, on the otherhand the player-base is so huge it might not even matter(sort of like CoD or WoW) but who knows.

The reality is, Epic with UT4 and id with Quake Champions is the best chance at an "AFPS revival" unless another well-known AAA publisher decides to make a new AFPS IP with lots of marketing and the chances of that is zero to none. It hasn't happened in the last decade why would it now when the genre is at its weakest.point? Anyone waiting around for an AFPS on the level of OW or CS to jump on the bandwagon is delusional. Hardcore AFPS fans like me who have stuck with the genre on severs with 100's of people/supported alpha's,betas, kickstarter projects, and have seen many a indie AFPS title fail to attract more than the hardcore niche audience and flame out quickly know this was our year/years. UT4 and QC returning along with new IP's like Lawbreakers and possibly John Romero's mysterious "Blackroom" project was a huge light at the end of the tunnel after years of nothing and we have the right to be a little bitter about a typical "kid-friendly" AAA FPS like OW stealing the spotlight from us. And that our best shot at a revival seems to hinge on a game in Quake "Champions"(because the Champions suck lol) that is trying to be a quasi-hero shooter when its supposed to be a pure Deathmatch shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still have hope for Diabotical. But I wish there had been a larger effort to make a pure arena game. Lawbreakers currently has fewer players than UT 2k4 or even ’99. Quake Champs made a really bad first impression because of both game design and performance. Toxikk launched with so few maps. All of them had poor marketing, except maybe QC but the concept of the game was panned in that case. And yet there are more AFPS games on the way. INSIGHT, Arms of Telos, and arguably Midair.

I don’t know what the solution is at this point. Maybe there needs to be a really simple arena-style game. Something with easy movement and hard weapons. Perhaps a focus on free-for-all modes instead of team games or duel.

I have moved on from NEW Halo. I didn't buy Halo 4 or 5. Barely touched Reach multiplayer for more than a couple days. Hell I only played Halo 3 for like 4 months.

I still hold big CE lans with like 8+ people every time though. All the best players in Canada right now. Life is good on that front.

My Xbox One would be collecting dust if not for the 4k blu ray player. And if I hadn't of gotten an awesome deal to trade up to a brand new S console for 50 bucks, I would have just got a stand-alone player that can actually display Dolby Vision. MS can't even get their shit together on their blu ray player.

Meanwhile Sony is knocking it out of the park constantly with exclusives every year. Xbox has what...? Their 2015 advertising about having the greatest lineup of games in Xbox history was the dumbest, sickest joke I've ever heard in their advertising history. Everything they've released outside of a couple games is pretty lame in addition to being on pc now, which I'm glad for, but I'm thinking why does the Xbox even exist anymore? Hopefully they just full on transition to PC and maybe have the Xbox as an awesome app or OS like Steam. The Windows Store is just awful. For real exclusives not on PC, I'd say literally MCC is the best actual exclusive on Xbox, which is hilarious. What's better? Sunset Overdrive? Rare Replay? Literally two old game collections are their best offerings. Lol.

Anyway, in spite of all of this I'm... Possibly irrationally hoping that they ACTUALLY fix MCC, AND that Halo 6 is a return to classic style Halo with aiming that isn't terrible. I still think there is a chance what with every other franchise turning back the clock and much of the current Halo community starting to revolt against the new mechanics, nevermind the millions of fans who aren't even in the community anymore but could be enticed back with classic, simple Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just completed Deus Ex Mankind Divided.  It is miles better then the trash that is Halo 5, I recommend you play it.

I just completed Deus Ex Mankind Divided. It is miles better then the trash that is Halo 5, I recommend you play it.

There are very few FPS games that aren't better than Halo 5. It's hilarious that anyone thinks its campaign is a good reason to buy an Xbox. Even COD is better.

It sickens me that Halo 5 has only slightly worse or even better review scores than some truly special FPS games that have come out recently. Just shows how broken reviews can be sometimes.

Deus Ex was great yet had worse scores. Dishonoured 2 is amazing and had barely better scores. Prey was one of the best, most creative and immersive games I've ever played and had worse scores. DOOM 2016 is widely considered one of the most fun, balls to the wall FPS games ever and is barely higher than Halo 5. And if people honestly think stupid ass Warzone and the horrible out of the box multiplayer settings and like 3 game modes are a reason to rate Halo 5 higher than these other games which didn't have multiplayer, they need their fucking heads checked.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I bought Doom 2016 about a week ago and I'm almost finished with it.  Everyone should buy that game, the Campaign is like all the best parts of Doom2, Halo and Bioshock combined.  It kind of blows my mind that it's only going for $15-$30 these days.

The Multiplayer is garbage though.  It's somehow even more casual than Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I bought Doom 2016 about a week ago and I'm almost finished with it. Everyone should buy that game, the Campaign is like all the best parts of Doom2, Halo and Bioshock combined. It kind of blows my mind that it's only going for $15-$30 these days.

The Multiplayer is garbage though. It's somehow even more casual than Halo 4.

I’m so starved for an Arena FPS on console that I hit max prestige in Doom. I actually had a blast with it despite its flaws because it felt so different to everything else. I wouldn’t even change that much. Weapons on the map, nerf the combat shotgun, eliminate perks, nerf most of the equipment (Tesla rocket...) and put it on the map, de-randomize the demon spawn, and get rid of glory kills. Oh and make movement the same speed in all directions.

Okay now that I list it it’s kind of a lot. But even still I had a blast with it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I guess I was being a little hyperbolic.  DooM multiplayer can still be fun and I'll take any kind of traditional hipfire shooter over military shit anyways including The 4. But the problem is exactly all the things you brought up.  The core game is pretty good and unique, but it's just buried under so much unnecessary bullshit that it ruins the entire experience.

Having to deal with overpowered runes, or people who have better weapons and stats because they played the game longer, or overpowered spawn equipment including literal promethean vision, or etc.  If they just removed or fixed all of that the game would be way better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doom 2016 MP >>> H4, H5 and Vanilla Reach MP. Not even close. Yeah it's CoDified and you get fucked over by random demon runes and perks sometimes, but the core gameplay is so fun and fast-paced that it can easily compensate for all that bs.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still have hope for Diabotical. But I wish there had been a larger effort to make a pure arena game. Lawbreakers currently has fewer players than UT 2k4 or even ’99. Quake Champs made a really bad first impression because of both game design and performance. Toxikk launched with so few maps. All of them had poor marketing, except maybe QC but the concept of the game was panned in that case. And yet there are more AFPS games on the way. INSIGHT, Arms of Telos, and arguably Midair.

I don’t know what the solution is at this point. Maybe there needs to be a really simple arena-style game. Something with easy movement and hard weapons. Perhaps a focus on free-for-all modes instead of team games or duel.

I just dont believe in that logic, there has been plenty of indie AFPS made who tried to "dumb down" the mechanics, particularly the movement, and make it easier for new players and failed. There was that team elimination-based Arena FPS with the vibrant colors that threw all of its chips into e-sports and failed using that model. I forget its name because it was so forgettable... at that point the game is just a lesser version of Quake clan Arena.

The resurgence of oldschool hardcore tactical cRPG's, namely Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin(started as a kickstarter now a 2017 GOTY candidate), would be a good model for AFPS devs to follow. Make a modern AFPS that encapsulates everything great about oldschool shooters with a modern feature set on par with other AAA FPS that is true to its roots and doesn't cheat its core audience. DOOM 2016 kind of did that, to great success as well. Why cant Quake? Here are my thoughts from another thread with my criticisms of the QC beta...go out guns blazing or why even bother to make a new Quake?

In terms of originality, no. In terms of gameplay feel compared to previous Quakes, no. 

Short list:

1) Feels clunky, like UT3/Q4
2) The powerups messed everything up, no more exciting overtimes
3) Weapon models look like spaceships
4) Everything that made OSP/CPMA great isn't there (no forcemodels, no enemycolors, no brightskins, no complex weapon configurations, no hud modifications)
5) Sounds are awkward and uninspired
6) Timers on items nailed the coffin

I could go on.

This was supposed to be the year of the AFPS and it has become year of the final nail in the coffin of the AFPS because they are all turning into watered down RPG quasi-hybrid BS or flopping like LB. There was NO DOUBT what Q3A was meant to be..The undisputed king of DM and the fastest FPS on the planet. There was no doubt what DOOM 2016 was supposed to be, Oldschool, fast-paced, in your face, bloody DOOM with nuanced level design and weapon depth for the modern FPS audience. And guess what? It was a HUGE success. Why couldn't they do that with Quake? WTF is Quake Champions?? The Champions aren't even the emphasis nor they do make a significant impact on game-play they are entirely half-assed and that will never attract the "Hero FPS/OW" crowd most of whom cant even figure out how to circle-strafe in a game of QC and like OW because its like playing "shooter dress up". SMH, if you're going to go down...at least go down guns blazing doing what got you there thats my opinion. AFPS are like classic RPG's or sort of like Dark Souls...you cant half-ass them and water them down with modern mechanics they are like diamonds, best in their most purest and rare of forms.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Of anyone would like to watch a casted Halo CE 2v2 LAN tournament, the FFA’s to seed the bracket begin soon.

Stayed tuned to www.twitch.tv/vabeachlan

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think personally i’ve moved on from Halo for good.

Naw, trust me, you will be back in the spring (two months away) when you hear how great it is on Xbox one and better on Xbox one x.

I'm personally waiting for a version of Halo to be on Steam. There's no other game like Halo for PC, in terms of the mechanics and gameplay. While CS:GO and OW are fun games and competitive, I will always jump back to see what is new with Halo. I have Halo 5, haven't touched it in months, that and Gears 4. I feel bad, because I know back in 2008,09 and those years, they were among the most popular shooters out there. The devs have moved on, and the new developers are out of touch on how to make the games enticing for this generation. Like all things, stuff comes and goes but Halo will be around until of course it isn't.

I'm personally waiting for a version of Halo to be on Steam. There's no other game like Halo for PC, in terms of the mechanics and gameplay. While CS:GO and OW are fun games and competitive, I will always jump back to see what is new with Halo. I have Halo 5, haven't touched it in months, that and Gears 4. I feel bad, because I know back in 2008,09 and those years, they were among the most popular shooters out there. The devs have moved on, and the new developers are out of touch on how to make the games enticing for this generation. Like all things, stuff comes and goes but Halo will be around until of course it isn't.

Gears seems way closer to the original formula at least. Halo is no where close.

Gears seems way closer to the original formula at least. Halo is no where close.

Rainbow 6 Siege. If you aren't playing Siege you aren't cool.

No one wants to be uncool. 

Be Cool.

Play Siege.

3rd Year and still growing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rainbow 6 Siege. If you aren't playing Siege you aren't cool.

No one wants to be uncool.

Be Cool.

Play Siege.

3rd Year and still growing.

Agreed 100%. I haven't played a game this much since the H3 days.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It seems like I'm finally moving on from H5, haven't enjoyed it much in the past couple months and will probably just sell my XB1 and try H6 on PC.

Does anyone know legit ways to play Halo on PC with a controller?  I don't really have any interest in the Russian Halo 3 thing, but isn't there a Halo 1 Custom Edition or something?  Is H2 vista playable somehow?  I own the original H1 on PC but it was kind of a mess when I last tried it a couple years ago (laggy custom games and settings were way too complicated to fix).  

It seems like I'm finally moving on from H5, haven't enjoyed it much in the past couple months and will probably just sell my XB1 and try H6 on PC.

Does anyone know legit ways to play Halo on PC with a controller?  I don't really have any interest in the Russian Halo 3 thing, but isn't there a Halo 1 Custom Edition or something?  Is H2 vista playable somehow?  I own the original H1 on PC but it was kind of a mess when I last tried it a couple years ago (laggy custom games and settings were way too complicated to fix).  

h1

http://hce.halomaps.org/?fid=410

https://www.reddit.com/r/halopc/

h2

http://www.h2v.online/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Halo2/