Sign in to follow this  
TTUVAPOR

Moving on from Halo

Elaborate? The only thing that's classic about CoD: WW2 is the WW2 skin. The gameplay, maps, and now even more loot boxes fits the pattern that series has been on since 2007.

i mean they dumped wall running, double jumps, etc. Though that only takes us as far back as what Ghosts?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had my complaints about Reach but I still played it constantly for two years straight. I didn't play Halo 4 nearly as much but I still played it. Halo 5 finally got to a point where they changed so much that I don't even consider it a Halo game anymore. It's just some sci-fi shooter with a Halo skin. You're talking to someone who played Reach for two years straight and Halo 4 on-and-off for two years and I still couldn't play Halo 5 for a month before dropping it completely and then selling my Xbox One.

There hasn't been an exciting new FPS since 2007. The only one that comes close is Overwatch though I wish Blizzard would implement a Forge-like mode. That would literally make that game 100% better than TF2. After playing Halo 3 and TF2, custom matches on custom maps are the way to play a game forever.

Jeff Kaplan has mentioned wanting to bring a map editor to the game, but I don't think it's too high on their list of priorities at the moment. Theater is coming soon though. 

There hasn't been an exciting new FPS since 2007. The only one that comes close is Overwatch though I wish Blizzard would implement a Forge-like mode. That would literally make that game 100% better than TF2.

Fite me. You're not wrong though.

Overwatch has the development and social features I want and TF2 has the gameplay.

Jeff Kaplan has mentioned wanting to bring a map editor to the game, but I don't think it's too high on their list of priorities at the moment. Theater is coming soon though. 

I'm curious to see how that would be implemented in the game given how servers/clients are structured. Maybe something like Forge aka object editor mode?

Its kinda weird to think about how many games nowadays don't have a theater/demo mode, despite it first appearing in FPS games before the notion of vertical aiming was even popularized.

I have moved on as well - In today's gaming world, when it comes to Halo; I feel like a dad just watching from the sidelines and win or lose I am rooting for it.  But my days of "being in the game" are long gone.   Hopefully one day I can lace up again though. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have moved on as well - In today's gaming world, when it comes to Halo; I feel like a dad just watching from the sidelines and win or lose I am rooting for it.  But my days of "being in the game" are long gone.   Hopefully one day I can lace up again though. 

I'm still into halo, but mainly holding on by a thread because of the story. I used to only play halo back in the day, but now I'm foreced to play other games, which is so sad. I still hold modern halo above so many other games, but its just not fun anymore. I usually can play it and have fun for a few weeks but that's it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't played Halo since July.  It got to the point where playing it was not fun, it was just something I did out of habit.  I had a few friends that I enjoyed playing with, but the game itself was too frustrating for me.  I bought a PS4 and played the new uncharted and the new COD storyline, but COD online is even worse than H5 so I'll continue avoiding that.

I have not turned my xbox on in months, it's sitting in my spare room unhooked from my tv.  I can't say I miss it, and I have enjoyed the things I have been doing with my spare time.

Maybe it's because I am getting older, or maybe it's because I no longer have the drive to be good at games (CE on MCC was the last time I actually tried to excel at a game), but they just don't interest me much anymore.

It's pretty nice having real hobbies again.

Edit: I didn't even realize it but I pretty much posted the same thing a few months ago.  My bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Installation 01 looking good so far!

This will probably be my main game once it comes out. It's hard to replace Halo style gameplay, so this will be the game I move onto. I haven't played on my Xbox for  1 year now.

4.jpg

2.jpg1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

Looks pretty cool. I haven't kept up to date on the fan made games in awhile. Whats going on with Contingency and I swear there was one other that was in development.

H:O is getting a big update soon

H2V just got a big update.

I think we've come to realize that the Halo we grew up with and adore is long gone. It's dead. I don't think it's coming back.

Personally, I'll never quit Halo, but I'll never buy another Halo product with the 343 label slapped across it ever again that's for sure. TMCC will be the last Halo product I'll likely ever buy, and it's really sad to say that. While Bungie did destroy the formula we all know and love with Reach, I think Reach was simply a precursor to what we know now to be Destiny. However, Reach still felt a bit like Halo; it came out with Forge and Theater at launch, and its innovation in sandbox thanks to Forge World really gave it a strong Custom Games community like Halo 3 had. Halo 4 nor Halo 5 have had any ability to capture a healthy sandbox community in any capacity.

While the communities are small I'll keep up with Halo 3, H2V, CE PC, Reach, and TMCC. H2 and 3 are still fun, CE PC zombies can be very addicting, Reach still has a Elite community chugging along, and TMCC has the classic Halo games integrated in it for the XB1 so I won't drop that.

I'll also keep up with Halo Online and Installation 01 since it seems "classic Halo" is a concept too hard to understand by AAA developers. Are AAA developers really that autistic that fan-made games get more hype and marketing success than their own?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did this years ago and switched to fgs

Even though I spent countless house with the halo campaigns and h3 online

I prefer playing fighting games now, especially sf4 which I consider a fscoure over halo now

I don't understand why Msft didn't give the fans a true halo remaster and then release an h3 anniversary

Why does msft want to push down the need halos down our throats?

They would have made a lot of money and each game would have probably sustained their own population just like how CoD is

Tl;dr

Switched to fgs and now prefer sf over halo

Why didn't they give us a true halo 2 remake and a halo 3 anniversary

Three of my favorite franchises UT, Rainbow Six, Quake have all been fucked to death by incompetent devs/publishers and brought back to life in worse iterations that stray farther from the original formula each time.

I agree with what you said, but I'm curious what is it you don't like about UT4? I know it's development has been halted thanks to the success of Fortnite, but judging by what we've seen so far, the game is on the right track. Epic just need to put more resources its way.

QC on the other hand..

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with what you said, but I'm curious what is it you don't like about UT4? I know it's development has been halted thanks to the success of Fortnite, but judging by what we've seen so far, the game is on the right track. Epic just need to put more resources its way.

QC on the other hand..

It was dead long before Fortnite. The sheer amount of energy and resources it would take to get that game off the ground again in any meaningful way... It’s simply not worth it. Ut4 will float through space along with dayz as an example of early access with the right intentions falling flat on its face.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Installation 01 looking good so far!

This will probably be my main game once it comes out. It's hard to replace Halo style gameplay, so this will be the game I move onto. I haven't played on my Xbox for  1 year now.

4.jpg

2.jpg1.jpg

Hawt.jpgMarkVRight.jpgSidePose.jpgCloseBoi.jpg

Tfw a bunch of fanboys making a game for free create better stuff than a huge studio with infinite money.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Holy shit that looks good. I hope they nail the gameplay too and have a stable launch. All we need is a few thousand players to keep it alive and I'll never play xbox again in my life.

• Upvote (+1) 5

QC on the other hand..

This is a quote we got from one of the lead programmers on UT4's "stalled" development:
Sorry we've gone silent for the last couple of weeks. Epic has some big releases coming out for both Fortnite and Paragon, and most members of the UT team are helping out with those games right now. We're still working on UT in a different branch, but are doing some large refactoring that is reducing build stability and doesn't make sense to merge to the main branch until it settles down. We will update you on status soon. Until then, we look forward to seeing what the community continues to create with the current build of UT, which is the most stable and best performing version we have released.

Just a couple months ago Epic gave a development grant out to a member of the community for their work on the Elimination game mode. They would not have done this if they were stopping UT development.

Epic prioritizes projects with significantly larger playerbases that are much further along in development cycle than UT4 is(aka Fortnite Battle Royale), allocating personnel to where they are most useful when they are most useful. They have done throughout UT4's Pre-Alpha and it's standard practice of a company that runs multiple staggered long term projects like Epic does.

UT4 is actually doing from cool things with the new flag run mode, new weapons, maps, and new modes for such a small dev team with other projects going on its not the train-wreck its made out to be by some. That being said there is some major regrets im sure from the community and Epic about how UT4's development has been and continues to be. Great in theory and their intentions were pure, but it seems like the "oldschool" community first grass-roots development style has its challenges of its own and UT4 ran into unforeseen competition, namely OW, that kind of stole any thunder UT4 once held. OW kind of ruined the "AFPS revival" on its own TBH just take a look at Quake "Champions" lol. Its all anyone is talking about even in the Quake/UT communities which is sad its come to this point. To 98 percent of today's shooter audience(including PC), the names Quake and Unreal Tournament mean little to nothing.Its like a nostalgic memory to most people and they prefer to keep it that way I guess.

Holy shit that looks good. I hope they nail the gameplay too and have a stable launch. All we need is a few thousand players to keep it alive and I'll never play xbox again in my life.

I wish they could release it on Steam, since MS seems to be unable to release even H3 on PC.

I haven't played Halo for a while, Xbone One is gathering dust as we speak, since I have moved on to PC. I am not even mad anymore about Halo.

I just don't see any future for "main" Halo games as long as MS is bent on stuffing in microtrasactions & 343i is nothing more than its lapdog with poor management that can not see what fans want and corporate suits on top.

But I hope that installation 01 will be the Halo game on PC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Haven't played halo in over a year, haven't been on this website in forever. TheHaloForum is so dead ill post on there and no reply for a week or even a month.  :tear:

Haven't watched a Halo event since Halo 2 anniversary. Made this account when this website was released on June 2 2013 and i cant believe its been over 4 years. 

Feeling nostalgia and saw that for some reason 343 is finally fixing MCC 3 years later. Hows everyone doing? 

Eh, as much as I prefer classic Halo, I'm still going to buy Halo 6 and see this franchise till the end. My momma didn't raise a quitter!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Eh, as much as I prefer classic Halo, I'm still going to buy Halo 6 and see this franchise till the end. My momma didn't raise a quitter!

Ew No

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't understand the mentality here unless you're actually looking forward to Halo 6. Even then I don't understand why someone would be looking forward to Halo 6.

We've given the franchise far more loyalty than it deserved even after it abandoned us, we aren't "quitters".  We're just moving on with our lives instead of being the creepy ex who keeps sending Halo texts asking to get back together even though it's never going to happen.

To me all that's left to see is what new and creative ways they manage to somehow make things even worse.  That's one area they're actually amazing innovators in...the only reason I'd want to stick around to the end is just to satiate my own morbid curiosity.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't understand the mentality here unless you're actually looking forward to Halo 6. Even then I don't understand why someone would be looking forward to Halo 6.

We've given the franchise far more loyalty than it deserved even after it abandoned us, we aren't "quitters".  We're just moving on with our lives instead of being the creepy ex who keeps sending Halo texts asking to get back together even though it's never going to happen.

To me all that's left to see is what new and creative ways they manage to somehow make things even worse.  That's one area they're actually amazing innovators in...the only reason I'd want to stick around to the end is just to satiate my own morbid curiosity.

I dunno. I mean, I agree with you, but at the same time I always feel the need to play the latest Halo games, as though I'm an optimist who wants it to get better despite the reality. I guess this is one of those moments where the causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them.

To avoid giving 343 money I'll probably get it on Amazon or something. Or maybe I'll game share it with a friend of mine who loves the franchise and who'll surely get Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dunno. I mean, I agree with you, but at the same time I always feel the need to play the latest Halo games, as though I'm an optimist who wants it to get better despite the reality. I guess this is one of those moments where the causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them.

To avoid giving 343 money I'll probably get it on Amazon or something. Or maybe I'll game share it with a friend of mine who loves the franchise and who'll surely get Halo 6.

Please just don’t preorder the game. Actually make an informed decision.
  • Upvote (+1) 1