CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I could totally see them releasing new sub series of classic style games set somewhere between Reach and H2 timeline wise that will alternate with modern Halos for a constant 2 year cycle. Basically split Arena and Warzone all the way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Using a remake for a 10 year old game and another multi-game remake which didn't even work isn't going to prove a point here.

I agree maybe it wasn't the best example to use but i was more or less referring the time frame. There was only a limited amount of time in which "hype" could've been built around those games in 5 months. Also i don't think any primary Halo title has been announced on the same year as it's been set to release.

also I've never seen any indication that sales figures are directly correlated with the length of an advertising campaign

I'm pretty sure that it is a fundamental business or advertising concept.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The last two Halo FPS titles that were announced 5 months before their launch date (Combat Evolved Anniversary and The Master Chief Collection) had two of the worst sales in the history of the series. Even if 343 debut an amazing Halo 6 game at E3 next year, there's just not enough time to translate that into a solid amount of sales once launch date arrives because of how small the fan base is. 343 needs to market to current fans, fans who used to play Halo 5 but stopped, and new fans which is going to require at least at least a 1 year in advance announcement. The marketing and promotion can happen in the year of the launch but the initial announcements/teasers should happen a year before.

Both of those are remakes. The CE remake had Reach MP. The MCC was (is) a broken mess for 3 years.

1) remakes don't sell as much as new mainline entries

2) terrible remakes with completely foreign/broken multiplayer components don't sell as well as new mainline entries.

Those games would sell poorly regardless of when the marketing cycle started.

3) time spent marketing doesnt create consumer confidence. Good products do.

If they show a product that is exciting, people will be excited to buy it, the moment they see it.

Nothing would build more hype than an amazing announcement, shortly followed by a well recieved beta, shortly followed a flawless launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is the knowledge and personal video game preference of the average person on the street indicative of company/game success? Master Chief has been the face of the Microsoft console brand since 2000, of course more people will be familiar with who he is, but that has nothing to do with success of the Halo franchise currently.

Bethesda absolutely crushes 343 in terms of sales. They've done a hell of a lot more than just Fallout.

I'm 99% sure the only 2 games to have sold more copies than H5 that Bethesda has published the last 8 years are FO4 & Skyrim. Bethesda's marketing only works for their big guns Fallout and Elder Scrolls, and damages all their other games.

I'm 99% sure the only 2 games to have sold more copies than H5 that Bethesda has published the last 8 years are FO4 & Skyrim. Bethesda's marketing only works for their big guns Fallout and Elder Scrolls, and damages all their other games.

How do you figure? They've done very well with thier smaller niche games as well.

COD also works on a similiar marketing schedule.

Because they're behind schedule. They're probably closer to a 5 year dev cycle than a 3 year cycle right now. But there is no way a Halo game is coming out next year.

I don't want to believe you but you really have nothing to gain from lying to us :(

People talk about thrust and sprint being a get out of jail free card, but grenades have been a get out of jail free card in every halo except CE and 3. The issue needs to be further addressed because even though they nerfed the radius, that is not the core problem, it's hitmarkers and *frequency*. You should not spawn with two frags and there are way too many on the maps.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

People talk about thrust and sprint being a get out of jail free card, but grenades have been a get out of jail free card in every halo except CE and 3. The issue needs to be further addressed because even though they nerfed the radius, that is not the core problem, it's hitmarkers and *frequency*. You should not spawn with two frags and there are way too many on the maps.

Really? Usually throwing a grenade when you are in trouble results in you dying- unless you skillfully outplay your opponent.

Hitmarkers and spam are problems but they don't get you out of jail.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Grenades are absolutely way too abundant and powerful in this game. One of the worst aspects of H5 to me.
  • Upvote (+1) 9

I don't want to believe you but you really have nothing to gain from lying to us :(

I mean 343 is looking to build a team of guys who have never criticized 343... It's going to be hard to find a team 

I agree maybe it wasn't the best example to use but i was more or less referring the time frame. There was only a limited amount of time in which "hype" could've been built around those games in 5 months. Also i don't think any primary Halo title has been announced on the same year as it's been set to release.

I'm pretty sure that it is a fundamental business or advertising concept.

I think you're right that there's likely a point where the length of an ad campaign can be an issue (Microsoft shouldn't start advertising two months before the release date) but I think Bethesda proved that five months is more than sufficient, with Fallout 4, as sales were strong despite the game being subpar in a lot of ways. 

Either way if there isn't some hint of a teaser for H6 by Christmas I'll be worried ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do you figure? They've done very well with thier smaller niche games as well.

COD also works on a similiar marketing schedule.

Most lately Prey flopped, right? Dishonored 2 also sold much less than it should have if I remember correctly, TEW2 is selling (much) less than the first one so far despite being a much better game, Wolfenstein TNO & Doom 2016 sold ok, but should have sold much more. Wolf TOB didn't do too hot.

Which is a shame because I love all of those games and they deserve better.

Possible unpopular opinion:

As time goes on, I'm starting to dislike thrust more and more. Still just a get-out-of-jail-free ability, just with less of an impact on map design than what sprint has.

It does allow for some cool movement stuff and outplays but I'm not sure I want it sticking around.

Even though Sprint has screwed up map design, i think thrust has removed a ton of skill from the game. The og titles put a lot of emphasis on strafing and out-moving and predicting your enemy's movement. Now you can essentially stand still and spam shot until you get low health and thrust to cover

If nothimg else, sprint forces a trade off of movement spedd for firepower. Thrust just rewards bad positioning and/or a lack of movement in combat.

Its awesome to log on and have several pages of posts to read btw

• Upvote (+1) 2

I dont follow closely at all anymore. I thought splyce won the last couple and NV won one before that?

Well in the last 3 tournaments OpTic has 2, 2nd place finishes and 1, 1st place finish. 

think Bethesda proved that five months is more than sufficient, with Fallout 4, as sales were strong despite the game being subpar in a lot of ways. 

The difference is that Fallout 4 was the first entry into the series after 5 years, and the first "main" entry into the series in 7 (which excludes NV).  The fallout series was also beloved and super hyped up, whereas after Bungie somewhat phoning it in with reach, H4 being a shitfest, and MCC just not working, people aren't exactly dying to go out and get another game made by the same devs who did that, AND thought things like ground pound/spartan charge are good for the Halo franchise. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can confirm that I do not play better with LG skins.

Therefore Liquid skins>all still.

Until Str8 skins come out.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like how you've had your signature since last worlds and it is already relevant again 

tru

Because they're behind schedule. They're probably closer to a 5 year dev cycle than a 3 year cycle right now. But there is no way a Halo game is coming out next year.

If this is true it's gonna be a serious problem for Halo content creators. It's already incredibly dry as it is right now, with no Halo game next year whatsoever it's gonna be nigh on impossible to retain viewership.

If this is true it's gonna be a serious problem for Halo content creators. It's already incredibly dry as it is right now, with no Halo game next year whatsoever it's gonna be nigh on impossible to retain viewership.

This is the problem with providing monthly updates

This is the problem with providing monthly updates

Not just that, it's also a problem of being so silent for so long. Literally all 343 need to do is release the tiniest, most basic teaser for H6 and it'd get the hype train moving again and rekindle interest. Right now there's literally nothing new to be excited about content-wise, it's tough

• Upvote (+1) 5

Can you really "retire" from something you're not making a living from?

I'm being intentionally semantic here.