CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Unless we get a solid spinoff next year to hold us over another year, H6 has to be next fall, or we're in for the driest 365 days ever

That could work but I would prefer a true mainline entry to the franchise.

H6 is 2019

Why?

March 2019 - Calling it

Would a Spring release be finally accepting that we're not a top game anymore? I want a right before Christmas release!

Especially if they can’t find a fix for “Heavy aim”. Haven’t seen anyone say Xbox One X fixes this problem yet. Contra said it still exists.

Meh, heavy aim is much better than it used to be, although it is still kind of around. Contra headcases though so take all his insight with a grain or 10 of salt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bethesda is way more popular than the entire Halo franchise though. When Bethesda announces a game a couple of months before launch they have the comfort of knowing that they won't have to market as heavily to new fans as opposed to returning/current fans which is the primary reason as to why they make announcements on a short timeline. 343 on the other hand NEED to desperately market to their returning/current fans (which are slowly diminishing) as well as bring in new fans and that will require at least a year's worth of promotion. If Halo 6's first announcement of any sorts is at E3 2018 and has a launch date set for the Fall of 2018 then i'm positive that we will witness the worst Halo launch in terms of sales.

Since 343 is running the ship i'd prefer to wait until the end of 2019 because history has proven that they are experts in botching their games' launches and delivering unfinished products. 343 will suffer in so many fronts, especially esports, if they go towards this route but i'd much rather play a game that's 100% ready than a game that's 65% ready. 

Halo is still a big name game, we could easily announce and launch in the same year, especially if the new game is exciting in any way. (Like a classic return to form)

• Upvote (+1) 2

End of 2019 would absolutely suck. Their post launch sustain simply isn't enough to carry this game through another 2 years. Like for serious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've seen it. It could have been done pre-patch too; headshots to kill pre-patch was 3, and now it's 2. The RoF tweak between the two bullets is small but according to the patch notes the magnetism to the head has been cut by 99% from what it was.

Plasma projectile magnetism and the AR's draw time are the biggest enablers of this kind of play.

Headshot multiplier is still crazy, no matter how you slice it.  Extending draw time could be a good help though and make the headshot multiplier reduction requirement be less.

Would a Spring release be finally accepting that we're not a top game anymore? I want a right before Christmas release!

I don't think so.  I think gaming is big enough, "constant" enough, and players are old enough now that game releases should happen all throughout the year.  Personally, i HATE having 2 months out of the year where most of the games i want to play come out.  Ultimately i don't have enough time and end up buying less because i can't stomach shelling out $60 for a game every week for 2 months.  Get away from the overly-concentrated holiday season and be the only game in town in March.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My issue has mostly to do with how easily and quickly the brute plasma rifle breaks the shields. I also think the AR is a little too effective at cleaning up kills. In case you haven't seen this yet:

As long as you don't spawn with the AR I think it's in a perfect spot. It has a very specific use and that is fine as a map pickup

• Downvote (-1) 1

AR: i honestly don't feel like the headshot modifier is too high. I just think it does too much damage against shields and the equip time is too low.

I dont think it would hurt if the multiplayer only applied to the first bullet in a burst. That way there's no luck involved.

It should take at least 1.4s to deplete shields with the AR.

Why would they randomly switch to a 4 year cycle after doing a 3 year one for 15 years?

4 came out 2 years after Reach.

A switch to 4 years wouldn't be random. It would be a decision to "ship it when it's done."

If they want h6 to be splitscreen, and have LAN, and have a story people can take seriously- their engine, tools, and story telling is going to need a serious overhaul.

I hope whenever they launch the game is actually finished.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo is still a big name game, we could easily announce and launch in the same year, especially if the new game is exciting in any way. (Like a classic return to form)

The Halo name without a doubt historically resonates with so many people in the gaming community but the fan base has been marginally reduced over the past 7 years and that's a reality that we have to accept. Going back to my earlier point; 343 needs to convince it's existing fans as well as fans who had originally bought the game but are no longer playing Halo 5 to purchase Halo 6 and that is no simple feat. Blizzard or Bethesda can get away with announcing a game 4-6 months before it releases and still have a successful launch but the Halo fan base is simply not big enough to have a similar effect.

End of 2019 would absolutely suck. Their post launch sustain simply isn't enough to carry this game through another 2 years. Like for serious.

343 will absolutely suffer if they choose a late 2019 launch but the effects of an unfinished game in late 2018 are way more catastrophic than a 2019 launch. 

Possible unpopular opinion:

As time goes on, I'm starting to dislike thrust more and more. Still just a get-out-of-jail-free ability, just with less of an impact on map design than what sprint has. 

It does allow for some cool movement stuff and outplays but I'm not sure I want it sticking around.

Sprint has been my second least favorite ability ever since it was added. Obviously it's not as obvious or noticeable as sprint, or things from the past like jetpacks, but I hate what it does. As you said, it's just another get out of jail free card, it's basically the anti grenade button, and it makes gunfights feel so damn choppy. Player engagements used to feel smooth and fluid, there was a rythm to them, whereas now they're just all chopped up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

100% Agree. Idk i was a huge stresser of having a solid strafe and shot. so thrust to me always seemed like a free gimmick to get out of bad positioning.

Possible unpopular opinion:

As time goes on, I'm starting to dislike thrust more and more. Still just a get-out-of-jail-free ability, just with less of an impact on map design than what sprint has. 

It does allow for some cool movement stuff and outplays but I'm not sure I want it sticking around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Halo name without a doubt historically resonates with so many people in the gaming community but the fan base has been marginally reduced over the past 7 years and that's a reality that we have to accept. Going back to my earlier point; 343 needs to convince it's existing fans as well as fans who had originally bought the game but are no longer playing Halo 5 to purchase Halo 6 and that is no simple feat. Blizzard or Bethesda can get away with announcing a game 4-6 months before it releases and still have a successful launch but the Halo fan base is simply not big enough to have a similar effect.

343 will absolutely suffer if they choose a late 2019 launch but the effects of an unfinished game in late 2018 are way more catastrophic than a 2019 launch.

Announcing earlier doesnt help convince people to buy.

All it does is give people time to reconsider.

They need to debut halo6 with some amazing gameplay, and then quickly get it into people's hands, preferably at a time when the market isn't flooded with new FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Announcing earlier doesnt help convince people to buy.

All it does is give people time to reconsider.

They need to debut halo6 with some amazing gameplay, and then quickly get it into people's hands, preferably at a time when the market isn't flooded with new FPS.

The last two Halo FPS titles that were announced 5 months before their launch date (Combat Evolved Anniversary and The Master Chief Collection) had two of the worst sales in the history of the series. Even if 343 debut an amazing Halo 6 game at E3 next year, there's just not enough time to translate that into a solid amount of sales once launch date arrives because of how small the fan base is. 343 needs to market to current fans, fans who used to play Halo 5 but stopped, and new fans which is going to require at least at least a 1 year in advance announcement. The marketing and promotion can happen in the year of the launch but the initial announcements/teasers should happen a year before. 

The last two Halo FPS titles that were announced 5 months before their launch date (Combat Evolved Anniversary and The Master Chief Collection) had two of the worst sales in the history of the series. Even if 343 debut an amazing Halo 6 game at E3 next year, there's just not enough time to translate that into a solid amount of sales once launch date arrives because of how small the fan base is. 343 needs to market to current fans, fans who used to play Halo 5 but stopped, and new fans which is going to require at least at least a 1 year in advance announcement. The marketing and promotion can happen in the year of the launch but the initial announcements/teasers should happen a year before. 

Using a remake for a 10 year old game and another multi-game remake which didn't even work isn't going to prove a point here.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Using a remake for a 10 year old game and another multi-game remake which didn't even work isn't going to prove a point here.

This. Millions will buy a Halo game simply because it says Halo, the hard part is making them stay.

lol ... source needed!  CE:A and MCC are not mainline Halo titles, which is obviously why sales are lower.  also I've never seen any indication that sales figures are directly correlated with the length of an advertising campaign, or that negative press surrounding a brand will be magically cleared up by extending an ad campaign from 5 months to 11 months.

also to the people saying that Bethesda is a bigger brand than Halo ... lol.  The Halo brand is not doing super-well right now but I absolutely guarantee that Halo is a bigger brand than Fallout, and the average person on the street will know Master Chief more often than they'll know anything about the plot of any Fallout game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why would they randomly switch to a 4 year cycle after doing a 3 year one for 15 years?

Because they're behind schedule. They're probably closer to a 5 year dev cycle than a 3 year cycle right now. But there is no way a Halo game is coming out next year.

also to the people saying that Bethesda is a bigger brand than Halo ... lol.  The Halo brand is not doing super-well right now but I absolutely guarantee that Halo is a bigger brand than Fallout, and the average person on the street will know Master Chief more often than they'll know anything about the plot of any Fallout game.

Is the knowledge and personal video game preference of the average person on the street indicative of company/game success?  Master Chief has been the face of the Microsoft console brand since 2000, of course more people will be familiar with who he is, but that has nothing to do with success of the Halo franchise currently.

Bethesda absolutely crushes 343 in terms of sales.  They've done a hell of a lot more than just Fallout.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this a troll attempt? Im skeptical of everything you post these days.

I dont follow closely at all anymore. I thought splyce won the last couple and NV won one before that?

Is the knowledge and personal video game preference of the average person on the street indicative of company/game success?  Master Chief has been the face of the Microsoft console brand since 2000, of course more people will be familiar with who he is, but that has nothing to do with success of the Halo franchise currently.

Bethesda absolutely crushes 343 in terms of sales.  They've done a hell of a lot more than just Fallout.

I dunno.  The only games actually made by Bethesda (rather than distributed through Bethesda) are Elder Scrolls + Fallout = 84 million units sold (some of which were sold before Bethesda acquired the Fallout license).  Halo series = 65 million units sold.

Both the Fallout and Halo brands aren't doing too well at the moment (Halo is in worse shape) but the point is that if H6 is an amazing game, it will be able to build on its high brand recognition, not only among random people on the street but gamers in general ... everyone loved H1-H3.