CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

My point being that I've heard it constantly that "the BR is trash now". Well then why the hell would I use it for anything? Either it's trash and useless, or it's not and I agree with you with the reasoning about "niche" weapons. It can't be both though.

My point being that I've heard it constantly that "the pistol is trash". Well then why the hell would I use it for anything? Either it's trash and useless, or it's not and I agree with you with the reasoning about "niche" weapons. It can't be both though.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I prefer the BR and it's not just nostalgia. I genuinely enjoy the idea that you have to remain steady throughout your entire burst to put a full bursts worth of damage into someone. I like the idea that if someone sweeps me and is only accurate for a portion of their shot, they're only going to do a portion of the damage. I feel like if 343 was to build Halo 6 off the idea of BR starts, they'd be less inclined to have such a high amount of bullet magnetism in the game, which is something I can't stand. I'm of the opinion (and I do mean opinion) that a burst fire weapon promotes teamshooting, and specifically shooting people you don't really have a chance to finish more than a solo shot weapon. I see the merits of single shot weapons, and there really hasn't been a Halo game where I didn't like them. The magnum is fine in this game, the DMR with ZBNS settings in Reach was fun, and obviously the CE magnum was really fun and really iconic. All that being said, call it personal preference or whatever you like, but I'm all for BR starts in regards to Halo's future, provided the randomness levels of Halo 3 are never again reached.

It works both ways though. A spread weapon requires you to keep your reticle on someone for more than a second, but also allows you to be less accurate because you can drag your shots or adjust mid shot.

Single shot requires your reticle to be on your opponent at the perfect time with no adjustment,but doesn't require "holding" your reticle

Personally, I think a single shot that requires your reticle to be dead on 100% of the time with no room for error takes more skill.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Want to know why H3 was such a competitive game? Because the game and weapons forced map progression, if you had a teammate sitting top center on narrows with a BR spawn watching cannon, he was actually useles. Imagine having the H5 BR watching cannon in H3, literally a free perfect every time. Now imagine the tuning BR? Well, if he does perfect him, HOLY SHOTS and man I bet that felt good! Just food for thought

Whether you agree with this sentiment or not achieving this with random spread is the worst route possible.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If we get BR starts I hope everyone is ready to always get cleaned up easy when one shot. And every power weapon to get a buff because of the BR's kill time. You guys hated snipe before? Just wait.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

My point being that I've heard it constantly that "the BR is trash now". Well then why the hell would I use it for anything? Either it's trash and useless, or it's not and I agree with you with the reasoning about "niche" weapons. It can't be both though.

Instead of arguing over whether this trash weapon should be a pickup or a starting weapon, we should be arguing that weapons shouldn't be trash.

We dont need weapons in the sandbox that are variants of one another. But since that is what we have, we should stick with the variant that is skillful and reliable.

If BR would have essentially been fine if they didn't add spread. It would've had some pros and cons in comparison to the pistol. So picking one up would be an interesting decision.

Want to know why H3 was such a competitive game? Because the game and weapons forced map progression, if you had a teammate sitting top center on narrows with a BR spawn watching cannon, he was actually useles. Imagine having the H5 BR watching cannon in H3, literally a free perfect every time. Now imagine the tuning BR? Well, if he does perfect him, HOLY SHOTS and man I bet that felt good! Just food for thought

But how good would it feel if you actually shot well enough for the perfect, but RNG said NO.

• Upvote (+1) 6

But how good would it feel if you actually shot well enough for the perfect, but RNG said NO.

I need to play some BTB or something so i can get some serious reps with the BR but in my experiences so far, its nothing like the tuning test BR as far as the randomness is concerned.  I felt like i got screwed out of a kill just once, recorded it then went "well shit i just missed".

It doesn't feel to me like the random spread on the BR makes a difference, its so tight but i have only played on Arena maps.  Maybe it makes a difference at super long ranges?

I still don't get it.  If the random spread doesn't actually make a difference at normal ranges, why the fuck is it there?  If the random spread makes a difference only at super long ranges, can't that same thing be accomplished with a non-random spread?

So basically i don't think it makes a difference at arena ranges, but its still a terrible idea.  

• Upvote (+1) 8

It works both ways though. A spread weapon requires you to keep your reticle on someone for more than a second, but also allows you to be less accurate because you can drag your shots or adjust mid shot.

Single shot requires your reticle to be on your opponent at the perfect time with no adjustment,but doesn't require "holding" your reticule.

Personally, I think a single shot that requires your reticle to be dead on 100% of the time with no room for error takes more skill.

I mean yes and no, you can be less accurate and drag your shots, but you're not going to be getting a full bursts of damage off of it. I like the idea of needing to remain steady throughout the entire duration of your burst to achieve maximum damage. I feel like the need for consistency is a good thing. I don't think one takes more skill than the other, but perhaps a different type of mechanical skill. One requires good accuracy one shot at a time, the other requires a constant amount of consistent accuracy. I don't know, it's probably just down to personal preference, but I've never gotten the satisfaction from getting a perfect in H5 as I did from 4 shotting someone in H2 or H3. Also, I think I'd view the magnum in this game less negatively if there wasn't such a drastic amount of magnetism attached to the thing.

Instead of arguing over whether this trash weapon should be a pickup or a starting weapon, we should be arguing that weapons shouldn't be trash.

We dont need weapons in the sandbox that are variants of one another. But since that is what we have, we should stick with the variant that is skillful and reliable.

If BR would have essentially been fine if they didn't add spread. It would've had some pros and cons in comparison to the pistol. So picking one up would be an interesting decision.

Which is fine.  But since they DID add spread, and aren't likely to change it soon, it needs to be factored in.  They went overboard with the BR but unless they change it a bit again it still has to be accounted for. 

If we get BR starts I hope everyone is ready to always get cleaned up easy when one shot. And every power weapon to get a buff because of the BR's kill time. You guys hated snipe before? Just wait.

Have you even played with the new BR? You're literally just spewing BS. The BR now has a slower kill time than the pistol...
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure it now has a slower kill time than the pistol.

Considering most of you guys don't actually play the game, I can't exactly respect it when people say we should switch to br starts. The br in its current state is awful and clunky. Don't know how people can enjoy it over the magnum.

I'm gonna do a write up about the tuning changes eventually, but here's a short version of my thoughts right now:

Disclaimer: I've been playing probably 5-6 hours a day since the update dropped in both Oddball and HCS. Not a lot of time, but enough to start to have a handle on things

The BR has been balanced as a starting weapon, not as an on-map pickup. Not groundbreaking news, I know, but just saying. Is random spread, taken as an isolated factor, a bad thing? Yes, 100%, always. But context is important and the context is this: I don't really think I've been cheated out of a lot of kills due to the spread, more-so due to H5's server/hit detection issues. So, spread isn't that big of a factor, even at range (Vetoed had a clip about it on his TL, need to find it later). 

As for the magnum, I recently started playing on a monitor (finally), so I've been noticing some things I didn't notice before. One, a lot of magnum hits are granted when you're cross-hair isn't even red, or your target just barely touches the outer ring. Not as bad as the old BR, but pretty bad nonetheless. I love H5's magnum duels, but its pretty ridiculous. 

I think BR starts could work, but I would want to put more time into it. My GT is my TB username, so if anyone wants to do 8s, it'd be much easier to form an opinion. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Have you even played with the new BR? You're literally just spewing BS. The BR now has a slower kill time than the pistol...

That's what he said? Every power weapon is (relatively) stronger if players spawn with the nerf gun BR instead of the pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

uhhhhh

Pretty sure it now has a slower kill time than the pistol.

UHHHHHHHHH

Also, all you guys saying you "have to stay on target to deal full damage" are correct, BUT there is WAY more to the game than straight 1v1s. With a burst gun it lets people deal more average damage since the gun is more forgiving. This will result in you leaving pretty much every emgagement takin some form of damage. With single shot missing is a big deal because you do ZERO damage. Its high risk high reward as it should be. PLUS the BR makes cleaning up one shots a joke. You will take more damage in fights against worse players AND you'll get cleaned up way easier. Doesn't sound super great to me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I need to play some BTB or something so i can get some serious reps with the BR but in my experiences so far, its nothing like the tuning test BR as far as the randomness is concerned. I felt like i got screwed out of a kill just once, recorded it then went "well shit i just missed".

It doesn't feel to me like the random spread on the BR makes a difference, its so tight but i have only played on Arena maps. Maybe it makes a difference at super long ranges?

I still don't get it. If the random spread doesn't actually make a difference at normal ranges, why the fuck is it there? If the random spread makes a difference only at super long ranges, can't that same thing be accomplished with a non-random spread?

So basically i don't think it makes a difference at arena ranges, but its still a terrible idea.

I honestly haven't picked one up in Arena because I see no reason too, but i have used it in BTB.

It's nice not getting pinged across the map. But fighting with a white reticle is rage inducing. like the RRR reduction was enough, but not getting kills at a distance when you've earned them continues to be frustrating.

I feel like a magnum with 2x zoom and a slightly higher Rof would have been the better fix.

I like the new BR, feels like Halo, it’s only trash in comparison to the god pistol now, just like every other weapon.

Bullshit.

Even if you take the Magnum out of the picture, the Battle Rifle is still underpowered. The DMR is still a champ at taking out players even with its fire-rate slightly decreased (It still kills faster than the new BR), plus it has a faster 2-shot melee. Carbine, despite random spread being introduced to it, can still dominate a BR in nearly every range bar Close Quarters. And the Light Rifle? It trumps everything I just mentioned.

I would rather have the HCS continue with Magnum Starts, and have the rest of Ranked with BR/Gunfighter, because as of right now, no amount of nostalgic vindication is going to fix the ultimate problem Halo 5 has.

So instead of making it worse for everyone (And I wholeheartedly believe BR/Gunfighter is the wrong step for this game), let's finish off with new Gametypes, instead of...Burst Fire.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

While I agree with the sentiment here, H3 also had many flaws ( that have been exposed many times so there is no use of going over it), the random BR spread being one of them. I think I like the H5BR  more tho, it feels less random.

Bullshit.

Even if you take the Magnum out of the picture, the Battle Rifle is still underpowered. The DMR is still a champ at taking out players even with its fire-rate slightly decreased (It still kills faster than the new BR), plus it has a faster 2-shot melee. Carbine, despite random spread being introduced to it, can still dominate a BR in nearly every range bar Close Quarters. And the Light Rifle? It trumps everything I just mentioned.

I would rather have the HCS continue with Magnum Starts, and have the rest of Ranked with BR/Gunfighter, because as of right now, no amount of nostalgic vindication is going to fix the ultimate problem Halo 5 has.

So instead of making it worse for everyone (And I wholeheartedly believe BR/Gunfighter is the wrong step for this game), let's finish off with new Gametypes, instead of...Burst Fire.

Do you believe that it's at least worth testing?

no amount of nostalgic vindication is going to fix the ultimate problem Halo 5 has.

False

Remove sprint

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1