CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So what's going on in the world of Sports ball? I've never in my life been more interested to hear about it.

Yes, but once a streamer is making 500k a month, why continue to donate? He is going to continue anyway because others are going to donate and sub.

If I had to guess, BEAST gets subbing and donating at the smaller level. But when you're donating to someone who will absolutely positively do fine without it there's something else going on.

Donating is one thing, all personal preference and reasoning, yes I get. Subbing you at least get emotes, you get to chat(always in subchat now that 100k viewers is normal), access to discord. This wouldn't even be a conversation if he was private with his subs and donations.

I'll make the point again for this site. Without donations and premium members and staff, this form of entertainment would go away. If staff came out tomorrow and said they make 100k a month, should every one of us donating and subbing stop? The money would dry up and the site would close.

To say it's insane to donate to someone with money is ignorant. The only way to continue being entertained is for some people more generous than Beast to continue being generous. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

say everyone had that attitude and nobody supported because "he's made enough money", what do you think would happen to that content?

This thought experiment isn't helpful, we are judging an individuals decision at a given point in time. The individual is informed enough about Ninja to know that he will be fine without his donation. The individual won't think "what if everybody else didn't sub as well" because he/she knows that that won't be the case. Asking that question is playing dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Donating is one thing, all personal preference and reasoning, yes I get. Subbing you at least get emotes, you get to chat(always in subchat now that 100k viewers is normal), access to discord. This wouldn't even be a conversation if he was private with his subs and donations.

I'll make the point again for this site. Without donations and premium members and staff, this form of entertainment would go away. If staff came out tomorrow and said they make 100k a month, should every one of us donating and subbing stop? The money would dry up and the site would close.

To say it's insane to donate to someone with money is ignorant. The only way to continue being entertained is for some people more generous than Beast to continue being generous.

If those things are important to you then yeah, subbing is rational in a material way. Donating still isn't though, which is why I said there is more to it. One might donate to Ninja today, for example, under the false belief that Ninja truly cares about that person (really though, the satisfaction of being recognized by Ninja is important) . One might also donate to feel as though they are part of a larger group, something which satisfies our internal hivemind tendency. One might also donate because they like their name being on the screen (pathetic but, sadly I understand it).

You have to stop making the point about this website because this website is much smaller and therefore people's donations are more pivotal, whereas as someone's donations to Ninja today create virtually no difference in Ninja's life due to his already gigantic amount of money. The reasoning is not the same.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Someone please release the pools........................pleaseeeeeeeeee

dr-evil-crying1.gif

My theory here is that they can't release pools if they don't know the names of all the teams in the tournament.

I don't know what's going on with ex-optic, but I'm assuming casters/graphics won't be referring to them as Optic Gaming at Columbus (not on purpose at least). Not sure if they haven't given MLG their new name or if MLG is delaying the pools for some other reason.

Edit: or HCS, whoever is in charge of the pools. Not blaming MLG for anything.

If those things are important to you then yeah, subbing is rational in a material way. Donating still isn't though, which is why I said there is more to it. One might donate to Ninja today, for example, under the false belief that Ninja truly cares about that person (really though, the satisfaction of being recognized by Ninja is important) . One might also donate to feel as though they are part of a larger group, something which satisfies our internal hivemind tendency. One might also donate because they like their name being on the screen (pathetic but, sadly I understand it).

You have to stop making the point about this website because this website is much smaller and therefore people's donations are more pivotal, whereas as someone's donations to Ninja today create virtually no difference in Ninja's life due to his already gigantic amount of money. The reasoning is not the same.

some people make a donation instead of subbing though

My theory here is that they can't release pools if they don't know the names of all the teams in the tournament.

I don't know what's going on with ex-optic, but I'm assuming casters/graphics won't be referring to them as Optic Gaming at Columbus (not on purpose at least). Not sure if they haven't given MLG their new name or if MLG is delaying the pools for some other reason.

Curious if they will try something like Status Quo / Believe the Hype / Infamous - would be a cool throwback.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Or one might not have any of the 3 cognitive biases you just described and wanted to show appreciation via a donation. Like a tip for a street musician. You don't need to be mental to donate to a rich person. 

@@CyReN That would be cool. They have the money to do a player-owned org. Like what Astralis did in CS:GO.

Or one might not have any of the 3 cognitive biases you just described and wanted to show appreciation via a donation. Like a tip for a street musician. You don't need to be mental to donate to a rich person.

Not sure what Beast said but I never meant myself that it is insane or mental to donate to a rich person, just that it's not conventionally rational. Answer this for me: what benefit does one gain from showing appreciation to Ninja today through a donation?

I forgot one: the sense of having done a good deed. However, is it really that good of a deed to give this money to someone who now doesn't need it whatsoever and will continue to be rich as fuck without it? Not really, but that's why I called it a "*sense* of having done a good deed", because the good deed really only exists within the donor's head. Not that there's anything wrong either that, people make decisions which seem strange on their face all the time. That's what I'm attempting to point out I guess.

Also, street musician is another bad example, there are generally not wealthy street musicians, haha.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@CyReN That would be cool. They have the money to do a player-owned org. Like what Astralis did in CS:GO.

beyond hasnt taken my $5 to not sign ex-optic to a troll org named after us

• Upvote (+1) 1

There was an insane comeback at EGLx, this video skims over the match until the comeback starts and it's pretty cool to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not sure what Beast said but I never meant myself that it is insane or mental to donate to a rich person, just that it's not conventionally rational. Answer this for me: what benefit does one gain from showing appreciation to Ninja today through a donation?

I forgot one: the sense of having done a good deed. However, is it really that good of a deed to give this money to someone who now doesn't need it? Not really, but that's why I called it a "*sense* of having done a good deed", because the good deed really only exists within the donor's head. Not that there's anything wrong either that, people make decisions which seem strange on their face all the time. That's what I'm attempting to point out I guess.

Also, street musician is another bad example, there are generally not wealthy street musicians, lol.

Yea he said it was insane. All good lol

beyond hasnt taken my $5 to not sign ex-optic to a troll org named after us

Well if we pool our $5 together, that would make $10 which should honestly be plenty  :lxthul:

For big streamers I sub for the 50 emotes and so i can talk in sub mode. For smaller streamers like Frosty and Ace I sub to support the streamer. I don't think I've ever donated to a streamer simply because the streamers I watch don't need the money more than I do haha. 

• Upvote (+1) 3