CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I have been a sub to ninja for 26 months now (would have been alot longer if i would have known a way i can sub through my xbox before, i dont own a computer) and i personally do it as a means of showing my support for the content he creates. In all the years i have been watching ninja's stream i have never donated a single penny as i see it as unneccessary as i have already supported him through a subscription. To me its either one or the other and i prefer the more incogneto way of subscriptions as i never type in chat with watching through xbox.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because logically speaking, it doesn't make much sense. Ninja is pulling in "$500,000" a month. and is wildly successful. He doesn't need money from donators to continue to make content. When people donate large It's all about the sense of "doing a good deed" or the mass recognition (from the twitch chat and the streamer itself.) That's why AC Royale bankrupt himself over it.

I've actually noticed something about Ninja over the past 6 months to a year. When he used to get large donations he would freak out about it for a solid chuck of time and profusely thank whoever did it. Now he's so successful he literally can't keep up very easily. You donate $100 you're getting a "Thanks!" and that's about it. He can't even keep up with his subs too much anymore. So while I'm positive he appreciates it, I wouldn't donate for "recognition." lol

Anyway I'm sure this reads bitter. What can I say, I'm a cynic.

In terms of AC, yes mental illness/compulsive behavior played a part. Donating to someone and their content you enjoy allows them to continue providing more of it. While AC is an outlier, it's safe to assume not everyone only donates for the "thanks". The only reason he makes so much now is because people want his content, which he always reinvests in with new things for the channel. Twitch and Patreon donations are so crucial for streaming growth for both Twitch and Youtube. Especially with Adpocalypse plaguing Youtube right now. Just like Vine creators moved to Youtube, you see quite a few Youtubers incorporating more Twitch streams for this reason. 

Also Twitch introducing sub gifting is one of the smartest things they could have done. Those philanthropists you see donating more money than you think is necessary are also gifting subs to people, which in turn benefits the streamer and the person you gave a gift to.

I'm not gonna give a guy money when he already makes 1000x what I do. Makes absolutely no sense. 

Thoughts like this are funny to me. Streamers are only allowed to make the content you enjoy by subscriptions and donations. Only reason he has so much is on monthly rolling subs and donos from people supporting him and his content. To each their own but thankfully not everyone shares your opinion. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

So do you not see movies or go to sporting events / concerts? They are probably paid 1000x.

I get what you’re saying, but at the same time it’s ironic in those cases. Nothing wrong with supporting content you enjoy.

I actually don't lol. But in those cases you HAVE to pay to go. It's not the same experience if you don't. If concerts were free but had a donation box for the artist I would not put any money in it lol. But those events also use that money to pay everyone involved. It's more than just one person getting all the money.

Also, at other events you personally get something when you pay. At a concert you get, well, a concert. At a sporting event you get to be there in person, something you don't get at home. But when you donate/subscribe to a guy that makes $100,000+ A MONTH you aren't gaining anything at all. The experience is the exact same. It's just giving a guy money lol.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I actually don't lol. But in those cases you HAVE to pay to go. It's not the same experience if you don't. If concerts were free but had a donation box for the artist I would not put any money in it lol. But those events also use that money to pay everyone involved. It's more than just one person getting all the money.

Well you are a very special case then, I don’t agree with, it but hey you do you - nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well you are a very special case then, I don’t agree with, it but hey you do you - nothing wrong with that.

I guess it's special to have some rational priorities when it comes to spending money on entertainment, sure.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Also, at other events you personally get something when you pay. At a concert you get, well, a concert. At a sporting event you get to be there in person, something you don't get at home. But when you donate/subscribe to a guy that makes $100,000+ A MONTH you aren't gaining anything at all. The experience is the exact same. It's just giving a guy money lol.

This is a very very good point.

I guess it's special to have some rational priorities when it comes to spending money on entertainment, sure.

it depends on how you spend/your priorities. you dont need to go full ac royale  but i've supported small streamers. i prefer to watch that vs tv and if no one supports, no content will be made

But when you donate/subscribe to a guy that makes $100,000+ A MONTH you aren't gaining anything at all. The experience is the exact same. It's just giving a guy money lol.

you aren't giving money with the intent of "gaining anything"

that's the whole point, it's a donation

tbh you sound like an awful person, but we already knew this, imagine not understanding how gifts work

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 12

it depends on how you spend/your priorities. you dont need to go full ac royale  but i've supported small streamers. i prefer to watch that vs tv and if no one supports, no content will be made

I think there's a pretty clear qualitative difference between supporting a small streamer that isn't making or barely makes a living on their stream and donating/subscribing to big name streamers whose viewership and sponsorships alone make them plenty of money.

Of course, there's a snowball effect, because Twitch stream donations have a huge element of celebrity and group validation. People donate and sub so that someone e-famous will thank them on their stream and pretend they're buddies. WELCOME TO THE NINJAS, TIMMY. It's like we're real life friends! It's the 2018 internet equivalent of "look, Mom. I'm on TV!"

I welcome a Halo Battle Royale game for 2018. I need Halo this year and it's looking clear that they won't have Halo 6 ready for this Fall. I wonder if that was a conscious choice or a failure on 343's part. 3 years has always been the release schedule for main Halo games, but we are talking about the developer who released MCC as well as the first ever game in which aiming is connected to latency, so who knows, they might have just found themselves really behind schedule on Halo 6. I don't see why they would want to switch up the release schedule on purpose.

I'm 100% ok with a longer release schedule. Both H2, MCC, & 5 had major problems because they were rushed (though to be fair MCC probably would have had problems even if it wasn't rushed).

tbh you sound like an awful person, but we already knew this, imagine not understanding how gifts work

tenor.gif?itemid=3563162

• Upvote (+1) 9

Chill please, no need to throw insults.

Open warning to all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Conversation is over as of this post. Next insult receives action.

Just respect each other, please.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think there's a pretty clear qualitative difference between supporting a small streamer that isn't making or barely makes a living on their stream and donating/subscribing to big name streamers whose viewership and sponsorships alone make them plenty of money.

Of course, there's a snowball effect, because Twitch stream donations have a huge element of celebrity and group validation. People donate and sub so that someone e-famous will thank them on their stream and pretend they're buddies. WELCOME TO THE NINJAS, TIMMY. It's like we're real life friends! It's the 2018 internet equivalent of "look, Mom. I'm on TV!"

Well where is the limit? Ninja started out small. As he got more popular and more people started subbing and donating, he kept accumulating more and more money. At what point do you say "He has enough money, time to stop donating and supporting him". If everyone had that view, he couldn't continue streaming. Once his stream got low enough, would people then think "Hey he now has a low enough income to justify my money."? 

Donate and sub for your own reasons, but don't vilify others for supporting someone who brings them entertainment, because of how much money they already make. It's really none of our business, but here we are. That comes with him being so transparent with his subcount, unlike some other big streamers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

you aren't giving money with the intent of "gaining anything"

that's the whole point, it's a donation

I don't know how you could call someone an awful person for not wanting to donate, or subscribe to something without ANYTHING in return. Being frugal with your money isn't a bad thing, and I would be much more supportive of streamers like Ninja if they lived what they preached.

I am sub'd to ContrA, Summit1G (I genuinely love his content), Ac7ionman (twitch prime). 

My big problem with Ninja, is he usually pushes people to sub to him, but has on numerous occasions said "I don't sub to other streamers". If you're actively trying to grow a scene, would you not only reinvest in yourself, but the scene as well? Honestly, the more large streamers there are making a living, the more traffic streaming services and content websites will receive, which helps everyone.

in his defense lately however, he has been telling people to also sub to one of his constant duo partners, which is some what admirable.