CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Arguably one of the biggest events in recent gaming history involving the merging of a niche subset of gaming, live streaming, and a huge facet of pop culture, Drake, happened last night with a former and well loved Halo pro, Ninja, and all you dudes wanna complain about is the fact no one is talking about the Latin America qualifier. 

Exactly, hahaha.

"Stop talking about exciting stuff! Please talk about the shitty state of Halo."

• Upvote (+1) 9

Arguably one of the biggest events in recent gaming history involving the merging of a niche subset of gaming, live streaming, and a huge facet of pop culture, Drake, happened last night with a former and well loved Halo pro, Ninja, and all you dudes wanna complain about is the fact no one is talking about the Latin America qualifier. 

This exactly.

3 out of the 4 players in the squad were in top trending for Twitter.  The game they were playing was in top trending for Twitter.  Every halfway sports-related or pop culture-related outlet were tweeting about it or writing articles on it.  Other celebrities like Lebron James and Logic were tweeting about it.  Last night was crazy for shedding light on the popularity of gaming and its future.

Imagine if they did the same thing, during prime time hours, and it was a charity stream? Ninja raised over $100,000 for suicide prevention on his own during a recent charity stream, imagine if he would have 600k+ viewers instead of the 30k he had during his last charity stream?

Thinking about events like last night is a lot more interesting and fun to think about than what LATAM team will get a free trip to NA to get first rounded.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's just real talk - only the most sensitive people would get offended by that. No one with common sense would think I'm being disrespectful. Until there are teams that can topple the best from our country, there is no point in getting hyped. I'm just saying what most are thinking. 

Some UK teams are very dominant, though. 

calling a regional final not a real event is disrespectful

being the best halo team in your region matters

and just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it doesn't matter

and all you dudes wanna complain about is the fact no one in this thread ever discuses competitive halo 

fixed that for you m8

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I just think it's ridiculous that this site is set up so that we can really only talk about one thing at a time. It's an archaic fixture from the MLG forum days and I assume the main motivation behind keeping it this way is thread view stats.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just think it's ridiculous that this site is set up so that we can really only talk about one thing at a time. It's an archaic fixture from the MLG forum days and I assume the main motivation behind keeping it this way is thread view stats.

While views are awesome, it isn't a motivation of ours.

Lmao. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

This exactly.

3 out of the 4 players in the squad were in top trending for Twitter.  The game they were playing was in top trending for Twitter.  Every halfway sports-related or pop culture-related outlet were tweeting about it or writing articles on it.  Other celebrities like Lebron James and Logic were tweeting about it.  Last night was crazy for shedding light on the popularity of gaming and its future.

Imagine if they did the same thing, during prime time hours, and it was a charity stream? Ninja raised over $100,000 for suicide prevention on his own during a recent charity stream, imagine if he would have 600k+ viewers instead of the 30k he had during his last charity stream?

Thinking about events like last night is a lot more interesting and fun to think about than what LATAM team will get a free trip to NA to get first rounded.

i'd be fine with discussing other scenes like latam or anz. its fine and i'd like to be taught about other areas. but what i dont like is when people maake their monthly post to decry the state of the thread and how we should be like r/comphalo (which is not talking about this event either)

AoZ4vDR.png

during orlando and to some extent london and 2ks (i still think having a stream for it wouldve helped drive discussion), this thread was booming with halo discussion. i suspect the issue is less about off topic discussion and more a gripe about ninja who was polarizing when he was playing and more so after he quit

Hahahaha, the timing is so convenient for our thread right now.

The fact that there are not new gametypes or maps on HCS is a disgrace right now. Over 2 years now.

I also think the community needs to lessen its standard for new gametypes.

I swear, we judge new gametypes against the standard of like, Prisoner TS and Middy CTF. It's not that serious. As long as the better team wins the majority of the time on a given gametype, it's competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 5

While views are awesome, it isn't a motivation of ours.

Well what is it then? Why, 10 years after the fact, do we continue to utilize a system that stifles discussion and makes it inconvenient to go back and try to find posts?

Hahahaha, the timing is so convenient for our thread right now.

The fact that there are not new gametypes or maps on HCS is a disgrace right now. Over 2 years now.

I also think the community needs to lessen its standard for new gametypes.

I swear, we judge new gametypes against the standard of like, Prisoner TS and Middy CTF. It's not that serious. As long as the better team wins the majority of the time on a given gametype, it's competitive.

It's the maps and the spawns that keep it from expanding though.

I sincerely believe their is nothing that can be done about them without completely redoing the maps.

Well what is it then? Why, 10 years after the fact, do we continue to utilize a system that stifles discussion and makes it inconvenient to go back and try to find posts?

Some people like forums. What alternative is there? Teambeyond moves to facebook?

• Downvote (-1) 1

i suspect the issue is less about off topic discussion and more a gripe about ninja who was polarizing when he was playing and more so after he quit

I think that goes into it too, Ninja seems to be split 75/25 with the community. I mean hell, we had a poster once defend Comcast being down over Ninja complaining about it - people let biased thoughts override logic.

When we started the Beyond site, it was to give competitive Halo fans and fan of the series a place to discuss it. While you may not like it, it's a popular format for a lot of people that try and stop by. Same reason I like to visit something like ResetEra over trying to browse Reddit for gaming news. If you have any constructive feedback and how we can improve, our PM box is always open.

What discussion is being 'stifled'?

Im pretty sure there are about 10 different discussions going on at once every-time I read this thread. :simms:

The new Loot Crate Halo figure might be of interest to folks here. Had a blast helping out with it. The HCS branding on it is super slick.

• Upvote (+1) 8

calling a regional final not a real event is disrespectful

being the best halo team in your region matters

and just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it doesn't matter

fixed that for you m8

You knew exactly what I meant. 

Mosey, my dear, even the pros don't care about Halo 5 much. They are just doing it for the money and survival with hopes that H6 will be different. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im pretty sure there are about 10 different discussions going on at once every-time I read this thread. :simms:

Not really, but maybe if you consider each line of memes a new "discussion".

How is this place stifling discussion when it's literally one of the only places for consistent discussion? 

Bring up a new topic, do some research into the Latin America teams and write some profiles on them, do some history on the players, tell us who we should look out for, or feel free to go to reddit's competitive Halo forum and enjoy your topics with three comments there. It's just ridiculous to me people will more readily complain about something that they want to talk about rather than just bring up what they want to talk about and have the discussion follow.  

In my opinion you're one of the most infuriating and least contributing posters to this thread, with constant criticism and little to no content or context. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo-related. Discuss.

oddball is gonna be a big help but we obviously still need more

hopefully something happens at e3 that reignites peoples interest in competing again

depending on the HCS format after worlds format and what's at stake i think a lot of people are just gonna play to stay sharp for h6

this is kind of the issue i have with the thread

competitive halo discussion can't happen on a day to day basis because 90% of the thread is off topic and because obviously there's "not as much to talk about"

it gets drowned out

suggestion: rename this thread the OT thread and rename the OT thread the HCS thread

• Upvote (+1) 1