CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It's been at least four hours since I last checked this thread. Where's my fresh helping of dank memes to go with my breakfast meal?

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Optic CoD team really isn't that good anymore. They haven't won an event in a while, right?

Viewership isn't all the impressive either (better than Halo, but still).

Idk, feels more like Optic Halo standing up for themselves than the team outright dropping them, and then that dickhead posted the balloon meme just to spite them, not really as a reason for dropping them. 

All they have left is the GoW team. Theyll probably be gone before the end of the year just based on how OpTic is being ran these days.

The Optic CoD team really isn't that good anymore. They haven't won an event in a while, right?

Viewership isn't all the impressive either (better than Halo, but still).

Idk, feels more like Optic Halo standing up for themselves than the team outright dropping them, and then that dickhead posted the balloon meme just to spite them, not really as a reason for dropping them. 

Haven't won in the new game. This is the third tournament and they are currently down 2-0 (Bo5) and look like they will get top 6. But they are talented enough to come back. But top 12 and then top 6 (or maybe top 4, we'll see) isn't really good for Optic. 

Edit: They're out, top 6. 

Viewership all week has sucked but right now it hit around 30k, so finals might have a little more.

I agree it makes sense why that guy posted those memes. He was bitter. It's definitely good for Halo that Snakebite and co left OG rather than OG just dropping them because they don't see a future with Halo.

But man, there's so much pressure for Halo 6 to be a good game. Console eSports is already on the decline and Halo 6 could either bring it back or be a nail in the coffin. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Haven't won in the new game. This is the third tournament and they are currently down 2-0 (Bo5) and look like they will get top 6. But they are talented enough to come back. But top 12 and then top 6 (or maybe top 4, we'll see) isn't really good for Optic. 

Edit: They're out, top 6. 

Viewership all week has sucked but right now it hit around 30k, so finals might have a little more.

I agree it makes sense why that guy posted those memes. He was bitter. It's definitely good for Halo that Snakebite and co left OG rather than OG just dropping them because they don't see a future with Halo.

But man, there's so much pressure for Halo 6 to be a good game. Console eSports is already on the decline and Halo 6 could either bring it back or be a nail in the coffin. 

Outside of the easy round 1, Optic looked awful. Crim significantly outperformed the rest of the team. The return to boots on the ground is definitely not going the way people thought it would.

As far as viewership, are you talking only twitch numbers? There was around 49.5k watching on MLG at the end of that match.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Outside of the easy round 1, Optic looked awful. Crim significantly outperformed the rest of the team. The return to boots on the ground is definitely not going the way people thought it would.

As far as viewership, are you talking only twitch numbers? There was around 49.5k watching on MLG at the end of that match.

Ah yeah, only on Twitch(alpha). Twitch numbers went down to 18k for Winners Finals without Optic or TK. Crazy drop. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't want to be mean or anything, but from what I have seen, I don't think any Anz team can finish top10 at world's. Skill ceiling of some of the players is pretty high (Seduce, Junior) but the Anz scene seems to have fallen behind quite a bit, oposing to EU where the teams are constantly improving and aiming to break top4 in NA.

I have to agree, they have some very high quality players but with a scene so small its insanely tough to keep any decent level of practice up.  Its the same with EU (although on a slightly different scale of course).  When you see the depth of the NA skill pool in comparison its hard to see how they can catch up.  Also wasnt this the first HCS commissioned LAN since worlds 2016?  The much smaller number of LANs will have a big impact as well.

EU hit its peak at Denver, Orlando kinda proved that with the placements. Since MLG came back so did the fire to compete for North Americans, as much as an EU fanboy I am the NA talent pool right its just too strong and im struggling to see an EU team make top 6 at worlds, top 8 at best. This isnt EU hate btw, we have a few world class players but NA is just really really solid right now.

I could see Infused placing top 6 again especially with their plans to bootcamp for almost 2 weeks, i think top 4 is possible but a really tough ask.  You could really see the difference in playstyles between Denver and Orlando which mostly came down to not being able to cope with the pace of NA teams.  If respectful can play at the top of his game (which he really didnt in Orlando) and keep his comms and energy up they have a solid chance but he has a tendancy to stop trying (although this is mostly seen in scrims so may not be so applicable).  

Overall though i think the only chance non NA regions have to really step up and regularly start placing well is to have a larger skill pool which may or may not come with H6.  Hopefully if we hit the ground running with LANs and a good game we can see things get a little more interesting internationally.

• Upvote (+1) 5

EU hit its peak at Denver, Orlando kinda proved that with the placements. Since MLG came back so did the fire to compete for North Americans, as much as an EU fanboy I am the NA talent pool right its just too strong and im struggling to see an EU team make top 6 at worlds, top 8 at best. This isnt EU hate btw, we have a few world class players but NA is just really really solid right now.

I absolutely agree, I am just saying EU has improved a lot over past few season and top4 is the next step. Not saying they will do it at world's but I definitely see them doing it in not so distant future if they regularly attend NA events as they do now. Top8 maybe even top6 at world's if they hit the form.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No way EU gets top 4 at worlds. Top 6 maybe but depending what side of the bracket they end up on they'll likely either face Renegades or Elevate, Oxy, or Oceanic (the other teams I see fighting for top 6).

Also I didn't see anyone post it but the EGLX finals are going on right now.

Guys look on the bright side. We don't have to support Brisk Iced Mate anymore. That drink was utter shit. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ah yeah, only on Twitch(alpha). Twitch numbers went down to 18k for Winners Finals without Optic or TK. Crazy drop. 

It dropped almost 20k on MLG as well. Pretty wild to see viewership drop so much.

Guys look on the bright side. We don't have to support Brisk Iced Mate anymore. That drink was utter shit.

Those were fire, what?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Brisk isn't an Optic sponsor anymore.

Watching the COD tournament and Ninja dumping on kids in Fortnite makes me think how wide open the market is right now for a good Halo 6, or anything good FPS.

Seeing Ninja with 100k viewers as standard shows me what a good place shooters are currently in (opinions about mechanics aside). CSGO / Overwatch / PUBG / Fortnite are all absolutely massive in their own way and cater for a diverse range of shooter fans.

Halo has to hit a home run and then some if it's going to claim back any lost ground from the last 5-7 years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Seeing Ninja with 100k viewers as standard shows me what a good place shooters are currently in (opinions about mechanics aside). CSGO / Overwatch / PUBG / Fortnite are all absolutely massive in their own way and cater for a diverse range of shooter fans.

Halo has to hit a home run and then some if it's going to claim back any lost ground from the last 5-7 years.

Sorry, I don't see Rainbow 6 Siege there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry, I don't see Rainbow 6 Siege there.

It's doing well for itself and growing but it is notably behind everyone one of those other games from what I can see.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

True, the audience for shooters and games in general is growing and Halo is shrinking... but for me personaly I don't have anything I want to play and I cannot be the only one out there like that though CSGO, Overwatch, PUBG and Fortnite have great numbers. 

I just want a good, balanced precision shooter that's rewarding, fun and works well and there is nothing out there for me to play. I'm 28 and have the time and the means to buy and play anything and nothing does it for me. Halo 5 did, but that was 3 years ago and the game is dead because of zero support and updates of any worth or significance. All my old college friends from the H3 days feel the same. We all have 8-5 steady jobs, can actually afford a Scuf, or build a PC now as opposed to then, and there is nothing that holds our attention. I don't think I'm alone because when I went to my Microsoft Store tournament, at 28 I felt that I was going to seem a little old and out of place. I was actually in the average age group of guys that went and all of them like me were old hold overs from H2/H3 glory days, still playing and thinking Halo because there is nothing else out there that satisfies our need for a rewarding and fun precision shooter. 

Best thing you can do is try other genres probably. Its been just over 10 years since a Halo release that was relevant to the FPS genre as a whole. Maybe they'll get it together for H6 but that's honestly not super likely

• Upvote (+1) 1

Knowing that PJ and company left Optic paints that guy who tweeted about Halo being dad in an even more childish light.

I swear they let just anybody run shit these days. I feel like back in the day there was a certain level of professionalism that was to be expected and upheld. #fuckthatguy

• Upvote (+1) 6