CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

While I appreciate the value of school, I could easily argue that $180K/year is poor parenting to allow your child to pass up. 1 year delay of school will allow the child to pay off all of their college in cash, while doing something they love.

Now I'm not saying what I would do as a parent or what is "right/wrong", but I'm saying I'd hardly say it's an obvious "good parenting" call to not allow your child to pursue that career.

The kid has 6 months of school left and is still making a salary from his tier 2/3 team he is playing on. He has turned down multiple orgs for around the same sum, and will have that offer again from multiple teams when he is done.

If he is going to flame out in the next 6 months and not get that offer again then he was never going to get all that money anyways and now he has his education.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The kid has 6 months of school left and is still making a salary from his tier 2/3 team he is playing on. He has turned down multiple orgs for around the same sum, and will have that offer again from multiple teams when he is done.

If he is going to flame out in the next 6 months and not get that offer again then he was never going to get all that money anyways and now he has his education.

It's debateable. If his parents allowed him to make $15K salary a month and it came with a contract stating he'd get paid that for X amount of time, I wouldn't go as far as to say they are not good parents. You can only play esports for so long, you can go to school any time. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

The way people talk about maps on here as if their opinion is the objective measure of what makes a good map has always really blown me away.

I thought Construct King was an excellent gametype.

Construct TS after Camo was added to the bottom became pretty good too.

I don't remember anyone complaining about these maps and gametypes back when actually playing them.

I mean, I personally never like H3, but would 100% go back to a carbon copy of it if I meant getting our population and popularity back. Overall I found H3 slow, sluggish, and not really fun, barely played it. In comparison I have played ~4x as much H5 with multiple major breaks, which is saying a lot. 

High hopes for H6, interested to see where they go with it

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree, 15k a month is insane, but not graduating HS ruing your entire life more than likely, postponing college is whatever

if he got 15k a month for 5 years on top of prize money he could pit it in an index fund and be set for life. Passing up 15k a month for school is insane.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

if he got 15k a month for 5 years on top of prize money he could pit it in an index fund and be set for life. Passing up 15k a month for school is insane.

6 months of HS though? There is a huge difference between a regular diploma and a GED, no matter what anyone says

If it were college I would 100% agree with you

Also, I would put that much in a index fund, actively managed portfolios are still the way to go  ;)  We usually only do a 10-15% total allocation to passive funds in our portfolios. But yeah, you could grow the shit out of that money

• Upvote (+1) 1

PotC series kinda reminds me of Halo series.

The original was critically acclaimed and incredible for its time.  The second one performed well but wasn't nearly as good as the first.  The third one did better than the second, but again, was just missing the same charm as the first.  There's a fourth one?  Also the fifth one got even farther from what made the original good, and I'm pretty sure the important people responsible for it were drunk all the time when it was being made.

LMFAO THIS

You nailed it my friend, there is something charming about the second movie in a series, look at LotR

First one was good, kind of slow to me personally but an amazing movie

Second movie was god tier, probably one of my favorite movies of all time

Return of the King was long winded AF but still good

And then we have the hobit  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dammit, am I too late to repost my mathematical analysis of which Halo is > than the others? Well I'll post it anyway.

DBXUggx.png

Because H = 0, we have that H1 = H2 = H3 = H4 = HR = H5 = H6 = ... = Hn. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

How many kids that drop out of school are smart enough or disciplined to put a significant amount of money away for retirement, let alone know what an index fund is?

I think we're trying to create a problem that doesn't really exist. Varsity sports these days consume a tremendous amount of high school students' time, even more-so for those students that participate in multiple sports.

I find it hard to believe there's any reason for competitive halo players still in high school to feel the need to drop out of school to compete at their highest level.

The only thing IMO that would justify leaving school would be if you were making a shit ton of money streaming, and you could make more by streaming more. That obviously isn't the case for Halo right now though.

I haven't played Halo 3 on LAN in a very long time but would need to give it a shot to see how it holds up, cause playing online made me realize I never want to go back to H3. From 08 to the end of 09 though I loved it and was obsessed.

I haven't played Halo 3 on LAN in a very long time but would need to give it a shot to see how it holds up, cause playing online made me realize I never want to go back to H3. From 08 to the end of 09 though I loved it and was obsessed.

Just make sure if you LAN h3, you don't LAN h2 or h1 right before. Tried that during christmas, and playing h3 directly after h2 is unbearable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

it might be worth it for him, maybe he has career aspirations that require higher education or maybe he doesn't need the money

imo i don't think it's fair to criticize someone one way or the other

people are going to make the decision based upon their own personal wants and needs

• Upvote (+1) 3

Dammit, am I too late to repost my mathematical analysis of which Halo is > than the others? Well I'll post it anyway.

DBXUggx.png

Because H = 0, we have that H1 = H2 = H3 = H4 = HR = H5 = H6 = ... = Hn. 

giphy.gif

EDIT: how many times do you I have to tell Teambeyonddotnet I'm not a robot?

• Upvote (+1) 2

it might be worth it for him, maybe he has career aspirations that require higher education or maybe he doesn't need the money

imo i don't think it's fair to criticize someone one way or the other

people are going to make the decision based upon their own personal wants and needs

agreed, but if my parents made all my decisions for me I wouldn't be where I am today. If it was his own decision, then more power to him.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Pretty exciting that we have 5 European teams currently making the trip out to Orlando for the Global open.

Teams heading out:

Infused - Kimbo, Jimbo, Respectful, Mose

Myztro - TuFoxy, Phlux, Batchford, Ramirez

Endpoint - Buk 20, Zhuh, ShabbyDagger, Morguh

Mock it - Warlord, Looney, Squashy, Outkast

Plus depending on PPs:

Vexed - Lunny, Riotz, Snipedrone, Quadios

Soaring - SLG, Fragxr, Qristola, Snakey

Good to see some orgs supporting the players and getting them that all important experience in North America. Can only bode well and help our scene improve from top to bottom. 

BUK20 isnt playing with BUK57? What has happened to this world

• Upvote (+1) 5

PotC series kinda reminds me of Halo series.

The original was critically acclaimed and incredible for its time. The second one performed well but wasn't nearly as good as the first. The third one did better than the second, but again, was just missing the same charm as the first. There's a fourth one? Also the fifth one got even farther from what made the original good, and I'm pretty sure the important people responsible for it were drunk all the time when it was being made.

Plus the disaster that was the Jack Sparrow Collection DVD box set. They never did get those to work properly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They're not scrimming because they "can't try in scrims"

sounds more like they won two 2ks and are getting complacent to me  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1