CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

H4 > H3

I know it's a joke, but I'm betting you threw up in your mouth just a little bit?

• Upvote (+1) 6

OG and Rec tied 6-6 last night

they've scrimmed 9 times in the last month and overall Rec is up 64-62

OG has scrimmed Ambush 9 times and overall Ambush is up 52-42, but OG has eliminated them in 2 straight 2k's

and OG has scrimmed Splyce 7 times and Splyce is up 33-28, splyce is also up 2-1 overall in 2k series matchups

(these totals include 2k series)

what's weird is splyce has only scrimmed 3 times in the last 3 weeks, and only once against a top 4 team (OG), i wonder what their deal is

renegade and shotzzy are still in high school aren't they? maybe they have a lot of homework or something keeping them away from more consistent practice

renegade and shotzzy are still in high school aren't they? maybe they have a lot of homework or something keeping them away from more consistent practice

Personally, if you are getting paid a salary plus prize winnings from playing a game while in high school, I would put the school work aside or do it earlier in the day because their scrims are not until the evening anyways. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

true, that's one possible explanation 

for selfish reasons i'd love to see them practicing more, they have a real good shot at winning a life changing amount of money

we are also 7 weeks out from Columbus and 10 weeks out from worlds, so they have ample time to practice, perhaps they are just taking it easy while they can

• Upvote (+1) 1

This attitude that people have in the esports community about kids in school is still insane to me.

it depends what your goals are

you can always go back to school but your opportunity to be a pro gamer might not always exist

there's also no reason why you can't do both at the same time imo

• Upvote (+1) 6

I loved how Halo 3 had a 3 hours long campaign with a different protagonist for most of the campaign, launched with no forge at launch, had only 5 Gamemodes, couldn't put Timers or Score in campaign, or didn't launch proper File Share and of course didn't launch with countless other things missing.....

...oh wait.  :D

Just because the pistol or whatever from Halo 5 is better than Halo 3's BR, doesn't mean that:

H5 MAPS > H3 MAPS, H5 CAMPAIGN > H3 CAMPAIGN, H5 GAMEMODES > H3 GAMEMODES.

You can tell me with 'Data' how Halo 5 is better, but goddamn there's a reason Halo 3 is the most sold Halo to this day, it COULD be because it had a very enjoyable package at launch until the end.

But whatever. If people actually enjoy Halo 5 to its core, good for them  ;)

my 2 cents

• Upvote (+1) 4

I hated the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

PotC series kinda reminds me of Halo series.

The original was critically acclaimed and incredible for its time.  The second one performed well but wasn't nearly as good as the first.  The third one did better than the second, but again, was just missing the same charm as the first.  There's a fourth one?  Also the fifth one got even farther from what made the original good, and I'm pretty sure the important people responsible for it were drunk all the time when it was being made.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I loved how Halo 3 had a 3 hours long campaign with a different protagonist for most of the campaign, launched with no forge at launch, had only 5 Gamemodes, couldn't put Timers or Score in campaign, or didn't launch proper File Share and of course didn't launch with countless other things missing.....

...oh wait.  :D

Just because the pistol or whatever from Halo 5 is better than Halo 3's BR, doesn't mean that:

H5 MAPS > H3 MAPS, H5 CAMPAIGN > H3 CAMPAIGN, H5 GAMEMODES > H3 GAMEMODES.

You can tell me with 'Data' how Halo 5 is better, but goddamn there's a reason Halo 3 is the most sold Halo to this day, it COULD be because it had a very enjoyable package at launch until the end.

But whatever. If people actually enjoy Halo 5 to its core, good for them  ;)

my 2 cents

The primary starting weapon for competitive FPS is a pretty big deal

I agree that later H3 maps were absolutely better, and the forge maps were good, but ill take coli over the pit any day.

IMO best maps ever in halo:

1) Mid Ship - H3 Mid ship - Truth  

2) Warlock

3) Sanctuary

4) Onslaught

5) Lockout

6) Coliseum

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let's take a look at Halo 3 and 5.

Content

Halo 3 undoubtedly had more content at launch day. Reasonable amount of maps & gametypes for every kind of player, custom games, a brand spanking new Theater Mode, and the humble beginnings of Forge. Plus, the Campaign was a hyped part of the game; remember the "Believe" ads? Extra content came yearly, with a small fee and its own playlist for players to jump in and play. Said content had very good quality to it (with some exceptions), and all of the cool mini-games, extra free Forge maps, and huge community kept the game alive and well for years to come.

Halo 5 started with very shallow content. We had Campaign (Which was shit), Arena, Custom Games, and Warzone. We had Slayer, Strongholds, Breakout (Which was shit), and Capture the Flag. That was it. Extra content was free, but it was obvious that they were holding it back in an effort to "Extend the lifespan" of the game. Forge is fantastic, but hardly ever utilized. The quality of the things we got were mostly inadequate. Needless to say, the game struggles to hold over thirty thousand players.

Halo 3 had better overall content.

Gameplay

Halo 3 is the shallowest of the original trilogy. The movement is sluggish and rugged. The Battle Rifle is a butter knife and spreads just as well. Projectile with shoddy netcode was awful. The sandbox was mostly a garbage bin of useless weaponry, with the exception of Power Weapons and Equipment. The latter was the first test of Bungie's ideas of an extra leg of fun, but most of the items were extremely annoying to fight against, bar the Portable Lift and Mine. There was never a weapon update to fix the issues the sandbox had.

Halo 5 currently has the best gameplay out of 343's trilogy. Movement is crazy fast, but doesn't allow you to fire your guns for most of it. You start with a powerful automatic, and a strong sidearm that can shoot straight. However, the sandbox surrounding the starting weapons is, to put it in a word, overpowered. Every single pickup is a straight upgrade, along with being easier to use. It was frustrating to fight players that found a better gun. It was even more frustrating fighting against Power Weapons that had all of their skill taken away. The weapon update only fixed some of the issues, and it came two years later.

Halo 3 had a weak sandbox with a horrible utility. Halo 5 had a decent utility, but an overpowered sandbox. The question is "Which will I hate less?"

Maps

Halo 3's line-up has something for every kind of player, for better or worse. Bungie clearly was going for a more casual game, which gave us only a few solid competitive maps to work with; we had to Forge some extras. The rest of the pool had gimmicks in the design that either worked, or were so stupid that they were patched out. Casuals were rampant, but helped keep the game going.

Halo 5 starts off with the idea that every map must be competitive, then fires off with some reasonable decent starting maps, but then gradually makes utterly abysmal maps. We have the largest pool of competitive maps ever gotten in a Halo game, but the rest of our selection is just...dumb. Not even casuals can play them for long, which is one of the reasons why Halo 5 has a small population. The game makes you feel like you can never relax.

Halo 3 has an overall better map pool.

With this all being said, I personally can't stand Halo 3 anymore myself. A perfectly accurate Utility keeps me coming back to Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Let's take a look at Halo 3 and 5.

Content

Halo 3 undoubtedly had more content at launch day. Reasonable amount of maps & gametypes for every kind of player, custom games, a brand spanking new Theater Mode, and the humble beginnings of Forge. Plus, the Campaign was a hyped part of the game; remember the "Believe" ads? Extra content came yearly, with a small fee and its own playlist for players to jump in and play. Said content had very good quality to it (with some exceptions), and all of the cool mini-games, extra free Forge maps, and huge community kept the game alive and well for years to come.

Halo 5 started with very shallow content. We had Campaign (Which was shit), Arena, Custom Games, and Warzone. We had Slayer, Strongholds, Breakout (Which was shit), and Capture the Flag. That was it. Extra content was free, but it was obvious that they were holding it back in an effort to "Extend the lifespan" of the game. Forge is fantastic, but hardly ever utilized. The quality of the things we got were mostly inadequate. Needless to say, the game struggles to hold over thirty thousand players.

Halo 3 had better overall content.

Gameplay

Halo 3 is the shallowest of the original trilogy. The movement is sluggish and rugged. The Battle Rifle is a butter knife and spreads just as well. Projectile with shoddy netcode was awful. The sandbox was mostly a garbage bin of useless weaponry, with the exception of Power Weapons and Equipment. The latter was the first test of Bungie's ideas of an extra leg of fun, but most of the items were extremely annoying to fight against, bar the Portable Lift and Mine. There was never a weapon update to fix the issues the sandbox had.

Halo 5 currently has the best gameplay out of 343's trilogy. Movement is crazy fast, but doesn't allow you to fire your guns for most of it. You start with a powerful automatic, and a strong sidearm that can shoot straight. However, the sandbox surrounding the starting weapons is, to put it in a word, overpowered. Every single pickup is a straight upgrade, along with being easier to use. It was frustrating to fight players that found a better gun. It was even more frustrating fighting against Power Weapons that had all of their skill taken away. The weapon update only fixed some of the issues, and it came two years later.

Halo 3 had a weak sandbox with a horrible utility. Halo 5 had a decent utility, but an overpowered sandbox. The question is "Which will I hate less?"

Maps

Halo 3's line-up has something for every kind of player, for better or worse. Bungie clearly was going for a more casual game, which gave us only a few solid competitive maps to work with; we had to Forge some extras. The rest of the pool had gimmicks in the design that either worked, or were so stupid that they were patched out. Casuals were rampant, but helped keep the game going.

Halo 5 starts off with the idea that every map must be competitive, then fires off with some reasonable decent starting maps, but then gradually makes utterly abysmal maps. We have the largest pool of competitive maps ever gotten in a Halo game, but the rest of our selection is just...dumb. Not even casuals can play them for long, which is one of the reasons why Halo 5 has a small population. The game makes you feel like you can never relax.

Halo 3 has an overall better map pool.

With this all being said, I personally can't stand Halo 3 anymore myself. A perfectly accurate Utility keeps me coming back to Halo 5.

Pretty much this, Halo 3 absolutely had a better overall package of maps, but H5 has the best competitive maps (empire can fuck off).

Sadly, H3 didnt have much in terms of BTB maps, and H5 literally has, what, 1?

H2 BTB maps need to be remade, in all seriousness. 

H5 magnum is the saving grace of the entire second arc right now

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3: Game felt hollow to me, going from H2 to H3 was a huge shift, the BR was pure shit, and the maps were really not that good. People wear by the pit, but the fact that most of the competitive maps were forge maps says a lot (obviously H2 didn't have forge, but the maps were got tier). H3 just never really got my attention, but I understand the casual appeal of it. The game also FINALLY introduced a true "MLG" playlist, but good old bungie still had their 3v3 shit. Unfortunately, the game lost its appeal to me.

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought amp and onslaught  were the only 2 mlg forge maps. and those 2 were basically the same layout but onslaught was tooled for flag

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought amp and onslaught  were the only 2 mlg forge maps. and those 2 were basically the same layout but onslaught was tooled for flag

They were, but that was 2 out of 5 maps (unless im forgetting one). They were painful to look at, but were absolutely the best 2 maps in MLG H3

• Downvote (-1) 1

They were, but that was 2 out of 5 maps (unless im forgetting one). They were painful to look at, but were absolutely the best 2 maps in MLG H3

Construct heretic pit Guardian narrows

it depends what your goals are

you can always go back to school but your opportunity to be a pro gamer might not always exist

there's also no reason why you can't do both at the same time imo

Some of these kids don’t have the option. The parents still have input in their lives.

There was just a 17 year old kid in CS (ZyWoo) who turned down 15k a month from Envyus so that he could finish his school before he joins a massive org.

Good parents are not letting their kids drop out/not prioritize school to play Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 9

narrows, pit, construct, heretic, guardian were there as well

Some of these kids don’t have the option. The parents still have input in their lives.

There was just a 17 year old kid in CS (ZyWoo) who turned down 15k a month from Envyus so that he could finish his school before he joins a massive org.

Good parents are not letting their kids drop out/not prioritize school to play Halo.

While I appreciate the value of school, I could easily argue that $180K/year is poor parenting to allow your child to pass up. 1 year delay of school will allow the child to pay off all of their college in cash, while doing something they love.

Now I'm not saying what I would do as a parent or what is "right/wrong", but I'm saying I'd hardly say it's an obvious "good parenting" call to not allow your child to pursue that career.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Construct heretic pit Guardian narrows

Damn totally forgot construct and heretic, heretic came out way after I quit though (pretty sure), i stopped after 9-12 months.

Construct was another example of an absolutely awful map

Narrows was amazing for what it was, guardian was a bad lockout

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I agree, 15k a month is insane, but not graduating HS ruing your entire life more than likely, postponing college is whatever

some do, and I wouldn't call someone a bad parent for enabling them to pursue a career in esports

you also have to understand that everyone's circumstances are different and some of these kids are in a position to help their parents financially

should you take time off school to play halo if you make $10k a year? imo no 

is it something you should consider if you are earning as much or more than your parents? probably 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The way people talk about maps on here as if their opinion is the objective measure of what makes a good map has always really blown me away.

I thought Construct King was an excellent gametype.

Construct TS after Camo was added to the bottom became pretty good too.

I don't remember anyone complaining about these maps and gametypes back when actually playing them.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1