CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I wonder what my thoughts on watching OW would be if I didn't invest so much time into the game. It seems like it really is pretty confusing for people but I guess they are approaching it from a FPS perspective and trying to compare it to non class based games for some reason? A better comparison would be a Moba. I don't play League, but I'm gonna try to watch a tournament and see if I'm just completely clueless.

I enjoyed the thought process behind OW. I like a variety of shooters and could always play something else if I didn't want to worry about class prioritization or wanted to play a game that I can solo carry through. In reading posts I think it's pretty obvious who has actually practiced the game with a team in a tournament setting versus those who I guess are playing with randoms in competitive. It's an execution heavy game not an aim intensive one. Imagine complaining about how League of Legends is easy because people aren't aiming they're just pressing buttons.

I do think that playing a game at a competitive level helps a lot. I would say that at the very least, people who tune into the Halo CE streams understand that we are playing slayer and understand the concept that people are getting kills or getting killed. However most of the people tuning that have experience with CE don't understand the spawn system well enough to understand all the nuances. There should be a balance though especially in esports, while playing comp would help players learn it shouldn't be a requirement to understand the base level of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 5 is free this weekend

Q U I C K P L A Y

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wonder what my thoughts on watching OW would be if I didn't invest so much time into the game. It seems like it really is pretty confusing for people but I guess they are approaching it from a FPS perspective and trying to compare it to non class based games for some reason? A better comparison would be a Moba. I don't play League, but I'm gonna try to watch a tournament and see if I'm just completely clueless.

I enjoyed the thought process behind OW. I like a variety of shooters and could always play something else if I didn't want to worry about class prioritization or wanted to play a game that I can solo carry through. In reading posts I think it's pretty obvious who has actually practiced the game with a team in a tournament setting versus those who I guess are playing with randoms in competitive. It's an execution heavy game not an aim intensive one. Imagine complaining about how League of Legends is easy because people aren't aiming they're just pressing buttons.

100X this. when i first watched league i didnt get it or what made it skillful. i didnt understand how abilities were used, passives, cooldowns, skillshots, itemization,  comp differences etc. plus large teamfights were a mess to watch having never played the game. you can not understand something, but to dismiss it as trash or unskillful because you don't get it is ridiculous. i had to pick up the game and play it to start understanding what i was seeing on screen and the more i played and understood, the more i enjoyed watching competitive and could see what set players apart.

its dumb to flame the game or the competitive scene without letting yourself learn it or at least paying attention for more than a single match

and honestly if the only reason ow is brought up is to flame it, then i dont understand the point of the discussion. its not going to poach our viewership or take mlg's attention away from us. the most owl will do to halo is prevent puckett from being at the desk

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the bottom line is that you can't enjoy spectating a MOBA or MOBA/FPS hybrid like Overwatch without knowing the different champions' abilities and strengths. Without that knowledge, nothing makes sense really, there is no context for anything occurring. It doesn't help that the game moves too fast for the casters to do rundowns of abilities and traits.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I guess you didn't watch any of last nights matches where Fleta and Effect were pretty much single-handedly shutting down opposing teams...

This ignorant statement could not be any less true. Every team has to have a competent DPS or they will get steam rolled. It's funny that is so hard for you to understand.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousArborealBananaTakeNRG

https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralSarcasticLionBabyRage

Even support players can standout base on individual performance:

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousDreamyPorpoiseOneHand

Ok and you think individual clips disprove the whole point? OW does NOT focus on gunskill the way other FPS games do. Teapot literally just said this too are you gonna go in on him? The game is not about the individual and it is not about aim AS A WHOLE. Yes individual plays can be made. Yes DPS characters require more gunskill than other classes. But what about the other classes? If gunskill matters and you cite are one DPS on a team then hat about Hog? Zarya? DVa? Rein? Lucio? Mercy? I mean you keep arguing in circles about this ONE specific topic when no one is disagreeing. It's a TEAM COMP ROLE BASED game. It's literally deigned to be more about how your team plays all together and not individuals.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the bottom line is that you can't enjoy spectating a MOBA or MOBA/FPS hybrid like Overwatch without knowing the different champions' abilities and strengths. Without that knowledge, nothing makes sense really, there is no context for anything occurring. It doesn't help that the game moves too fast for the casters to do rundowns of abilities and traits.

The bottom line to what argument?  That OW will fail?  What you described is how I feel trying to watch LOL of Dota 2 but that doesn't stop them from being some of the most watch eSports in history.....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can anyone point me to the scoring information for the HWC ladders and 2ks ? Have the announced point breakdowns for the open qualifiers?

Ok and you think individual clips disprove the whole point? OW does NOT focus on gunskill the way other FPS games do. Teapot literally just said this too are you gonna go in on him? The game is not about the individual and it is not about aim AS A WHOLE. Yes individual plays can be made. Yes DPS characters require more gunskill than other classes. But what about the other classes? If gunskill matters and you cite are one DPS on a team then hat about Hog? Zarya? DVa? Rein? Lucio? Mercy? I mean you keep arguing in circles about this ONE specific topic when no one is disagreeing. It's a TEAM COMP ROLE BASED game. It's literally deigned to be more about how your team plays all together and not individuals.

Oh forgive me. I forgot. OW takes no skill.  You just hold right mouse button and press Q sometimes.

Your own personal bias makes you delusional.  You play the game on console...(lol)  And args played it for like 5 mins so I'm not really going to take either of your opinions worth a grain of salt. I'll listen to the friends of mine who consistently play at the grand-master level and common sense gathered while watching pros play.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

The bottom line to what argument?  That OW will fail?  What you described is how I feel trying to watch LOL of Dota 2 but that doesn't stop them from being some of the most watch eSports in history.....

To the discussion of how spectator friendly Overwatch is. I see a lot of focus on the pace of the game when I think the true problem is in the nature of MOBAs and how much background knowledge is needed to enjoy them. Really, this is a good problem to have because it can be partially alleviated by the production effort. For now, Overwatch's success relies on its ability to mobilize a large enough portion of its playerbase, which is its biggest strength. I think with their early stream numbers they've proven they can do that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Oh forgive me. I forgot. OW takes no skill. You just hold right mouse button and press Q sometimes.

Your own personal bias makes you delusional. You play the game on console...(lol) And args played it for like 5 mins so I'm not really going to take either of your opinions worth a grain of salt.

Lol literally no one made the argument it takes no skill just fucking stop this pointless debate. And me playing on console matters? lol. And I'm still better at the game than you. Soooooooo moot point man.

Seriously, I just gave you an argument and somehow ONCE AGAIN you interpret it as "ow takes no skill". Tell ya what mate. Find where I said that and we can stop. Otherwise it looks like someone else is gonna have to take their bias out to make a real point. Lmao.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sooo, 343 just once again reiterated that the 4 Oddball gametypes previously announced are in the official settings while the pros are still boycotting them. What is going on?

----

I think we should keep Eden Ball and maybe one other one. 4 Oddball gametypes is obviously overkill, there's a reason we have never had more than 2 Oddball gametypes in the rotation in past Halo games.

Can anyone point me to the scoring information for the HWC ladders and 2ks ? Have the announced point breakdowns for the open qualifiers?

5.1.3.1. Ladders

Per Win – 5 Points
First Win of the Day Bonus – 10 Points
Players will only be able to earn a maximum of 35 Points per Day.

5.1.3.2. 2000 Series
1st – 2000 Points per Player
2nd – 1200 Points per Player
3-4th – 800 Points per Player
5-8th – 600 Points per Player
9-16th – 400 Points per Player
17-32nd – 200 Points per Player

5.1.3.3. 25000 Series

1st - 25000 Points per Player
2nd - 15000 Points per Player
3rd - 11000 Points per Player
4th - 9000 Points per Player
5-6th - 8000 Points per Player
7-8th - 7000 Points per Player
9-12th - 5500 Points per Player
13-16th - 4500 Points per Player
17-20th - 3000 Points per Player
21-24th - 2750 Points per Player
25-28th - 2250 Points per Player
29-36th - 1750 Points per Player
37-44th - 1500 Points per Player
45-60th - 1000 Points per Player

https://content.halocdn.com/media/Default/community/hcs/handbook/halowc-2018-handbook-7d7539f5ef094c728095346567aa3dc0.pdf

i assume the 25k series point distribution is for orlando

• Upvote (+1) 2

And I'm still better at the game than you. Soooooooo moot point man.

lol.  Funny seeing we've never played together and console ranks are laughing stock. I'd like to see you play on PC where aim actually does make a difference. 

lol.  Funny seeing we've never played together and console ranks are laughing stock. I'd like to see you play on PC where aim actually does make a difference. 

I seem to remember an argument like this happening on Reddit a while back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol. Funny seeing we've never played together and console ranks are laughing stock. I'd like to see you play on PC where aim actually does make a difference.

Well if you play PC anything the way you do on console I'm not worried in the slightest lmao.

And are you saying there's no aim skill on console? So you're saying ow takes no skill. Wow. What a joke. I'd like to see you play on console lmao you get shit on and then just complain about the aiming that everyone else has to deal with too. Hmmmmm.

• Downvote (-1) 3

First time on Halo 5 since the second round of BR tweaks and man - what happened to this gun

• Upvote (+1) 1

Renegades are looking to make a return to Halo, and have talked with at least one of the teams looking for an Org.

wut source? intel?

What’s the best monitor to sweat in Halo? don’t really care much about resolutions higher than 1080p. I need that good response time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Could someone fill me in on what the Quick Play playlist is plz