CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

watching OW is like trying to watch a basketball game while in a washing machine

it really makes you appreciate games like rocket league, cs, and halo

z7xfCV8.jpg

source

lol saying ow makes you appriciate halo is laughable at the game's current state. ow has an active dev who communicates with its community and who has completely overhauled its spectator system to make it easier to watch and follow. they have dictated a base salary and benefits for players so they can focus on the game and not worry about if tournament checks will come 3 months after the event. they have a massive worldwide player base and investment from people with knowledge of how to brand and grow teams and have the passion to do it. they are set for success in almost every way

halo has all the same technical issues that have plagued us for years. hopefully halo 6 will fix our awful observer mode, shot registration, hitboxes, etc, etc but for now we probably wont see much if any of that change. 

we have mlg back, we have scrims again, we have actual competition for the top team in halo, and gb ladders that will feed into orlando. i wish we could be happy about where we are heading as an esport without having to trash on a more popular game in an ambitious league. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

lol saying ow makes you appriciate halo is laughable at the game's current state. ow has an active dev who communicates with its community and who has completely overhauled its spectator system to make it easier to watch and follow. they have dictated a base salary and benefits for players so they can focus on the game and not worry about if tournament checks will come 3 months after the event. they have a massive worldwide player base and investment from people with knowledge of how to brand and grow teams and have the passion to do it. they are set for success in almost every way

halo has all the same technical issues that have plagued us for years. hopefully halo 6 will fix our awful observer mode, shot registration, hitboxes, etc, etc but for now we probably wont see much if any of that change.

we have mlg back, we have scrims again, we have actual competition for the top team in halo, and gb ladders that will feed into orlando. i wish we could be happy about where we are heading as an esport without having to trash on a more popular game in an ambitious league.

Pretty sure he’s just referring to the readability of the game as a viewer. Obviously everything about Overwatch’s scene is much bigger and better.

Readability will improve though with feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If watching it gives anyone motion sickness, i truly feel bad for them due to how weak a stomach they have. It's a good thing you never played Quake, UT, or Painkiller. But more so than that, when watching OW you get to see a game with a diverse range of weapons and abilities that actually work well together. You know, you're actually watching a decent game.

motion sickness has nothing to do with your stomach lol...

fyi there is a big difference between watching a game and playing one

lol saying ow makes you appriciate halo is laughable at the game's current state.

watching OW is like trying to watch a basketball game while in a washing machine

it really makes you appreciate games like rocket league, cs, and halo

i was commenting on the spectator experience and not the esport itself

OW has great infrastructure but that doesn't change the fact that in it's current form it's not a spectator friendly experience IMO

• Upvote (+1) 9

If watching it gives anyone motion sickness, i truly feel bad for them due to how weak a stomach they have. It's a good thing you never played Quake, UT, or Painkiller. But more so than that, when watching OW you get to see a game with a diverse range of weapons and abilities that actually work well together. You know, you're actually watching a decent game.

I bet you talk about "Real Gamers" too in your spare time.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

motion sickness has nothing to do with your stomach lol...

Umm yes it does, dizziness and nausea are 2 of the most common symptoms of motion sickness. Thought it was nicer to say someone has a weak stomach then a weak brain.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Comparing watching OW to Quake, UT & Painkiller makes no sense. They are 1v1 and rarely change perspectives because of it, yes, they are fast, but they are smooth in their speed. Also their teleports are static, meanwhile Overwatch's is dynamic, and Overwatch has much more shit on screen going on. Compare these two clips, from enemy encounters:

https://youtu.be/rr5TyVQKF8U?t=1431

https://youtu.be/8--FybgMgto?t=1741

• Upvote (+1) 6

Comparing watching OW to Quake, UT & Painkiller makes no sense. They are 1v1 and rarely change perspectives because of it, yes, they are fast, but they are smooth in their speed. Also their teleports are static, meanwhile Overwatch's is dynamic, and Overwatch has much more shit on screen going on. Compare these two clips, from enemy encounters:

https://youtu.be/rr5TyVQKF8U?t=1431

https://youtu.be/8--FybgMgto?t=1741

Neither of those are hard to follow at all. But at this point there's no point in debating anything. Obviously most people here don't like it and that's fine. Meanwhile overwatch will just be getting more viewers in a single night of pro league then halo will all year combined including pro league, tournaments, and normal twitch streams.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Neither of those are hard to follow at all. But at this point there's no point in debating anything. Obviously most people here don't like it and that's fine. Meanwhile overwatch will just be getting more viewers in a single night of pro league then halo will all year combined including pro league, tournaments, and normal twitch streams.

I agree that Overwatch's isn't hard to follow, but it looks like a clusterfuck(ESPECIALLY in comparison to Quake, UT, & Painkiller) and why even change to a free cam where the speed decreases from 100 to 0 and looks pretty boring, and then back again to 100 when back to player cams?

• Upvote (+1) 1

hopefully these brackets fill out for this weekend

a2dqxwk.png

reprocity has signed up twice and former lg is running under the name ambush

sXWi5ZL.png

even @@PROVERB made a team

KapCNRZ.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree that Overwatch's isn't hard to follow, but it looks like a clusterfuck(ESPECIALLY in comparison to Quake, UT, & Painkiller) and why even change to a free cam where the speed decreases from 100 to 0 and looks pretty boring, and then back again to 100 when back to player cams?

I'll agree with you 100% that the 3rd person cameras don't help things at all.

okay but the symptoms and causes of a sickness are two different things...

whatever, you're really just mad someone said something positive about halo

enjoy your day lul

It had nothing to do with someone saying something positive about halo, it's that someone said that watching OW made them appreciate halo.

OWL had great numbers and I'm guessing it'll end up being a tier-1 esport, either at the bottom or the top of tier-1 (CS:GO, Dota 2, LoL).  The point is that I don't think OWL will go mainstream in any significant way, which might be a problem.  Dota 2 has incredible numbers but randoms who don't already play Dota 2 aren't exactly watching it religiously, where I'll watch hockey even though I've never played it.  If Blizzard's goal was to make a super-tier-1 esport, then ~400k viewers on day 1 indicates they've probably achieved that.  If their goal (and their investors' goal) was to break out of "esports as niche," the viewing experience has left me unconvinced.  

Also hadn't seen this posted (!?)

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why is there a stream on mlg's site when Twitch paid for exclusivity? I'm confused.

This will make or break esports going mainstream,  I hope it works out!

Twitch paid for 3rd party rights, Blizzard can still stream in all their platforms.

I know I am late to the discussion, and I started reading through all the pages, but I keep getting sidetracked. I was wondering what the overall consensus was on having Oddball in the rotation. I have gathered from some of the tweets that it's not well liked, but I was still curious.

Has this been added to the list of things that 343 isn't listening to when it comes to what the majority of pros are asking for?

Whenever I see people praising tons of "diversity" in a competitive game, I just assume that their attention span is really, REALLY short. I respect OW as a casual game and the quality of life feature set + stream/event production is practically unmatched, but as a competitive game and a spectator esport? No, thanks.

​The first problem is that player perspectives are head-ache inducing garbage, because people are just hopping around like idiots jerking their crosshairs around. You want to compare it to those other PC shooters? Those games demand aiming precision and CONTROL in a way that OW does not. OW is a high DPI flick shot game. Those games have actual (fluid) movement systems. Not just "jump constantly to make yourself a bit harder to hit." Go compare a high level CPMA or CS player's movement to a Korean kid playing Genji and tell me that the difference isn't completely blatant.

​The other issue is that the meta is simplistic as all hell and can basically be boiled down to "one team bunches up and holds the choke point while the other team bunches up pushes the chokepoint and everyone tries to press Q at the perfect moment." The maps are aggressively point-A-to-point-B linear by design, which makes positioning extremely basic. It lacks the gun-skill focus of games like Quake and CS, so individual plays aren't that interesting to watch. And the "hero" meta is a joke compared to an actual MOBA, so it fails to off-set or create depth through complexity. If you eliminated all of the visual distractions from the colorful characters, abilities, and ultimate Q nukes, people would be bored out of their minds.

Oh boy, you're my idiot of the day. Congrats!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 22