CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I want it to be MLG, but a small part of me wants to see the meltdown if it isn't.

You thought it was going to be MLG, but it was I, ESL, all along!  :weback:   :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I want it to be MLG, but a small part of me wants to see the meltdown if it isn't.

Kinda with you lol.

I'm obviously in the latter here, but maybe just maybe this TO announcement will be great and we will have a good 2018 year for halo. a man can dream cant he :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

MLG confirmed:

tumblr_mj4f81pbOe1rqyqmdo1_400.gif

Not MLG:

miv2JfI.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

I care less about the TO and more about the league structure.  MLG would be amazeballs even if they just handled the finals or majors, but i'm not hyping myself up for that.

Left field question:  Anybody have that GIF of the Optic artillery strike on The Rig when they naded the fuck out of Nest during pro league or some event?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Snip

The mechanics differ between CoD and Halo and prioritize a different type of skill at the forefront. Each game will have some emphasis on aim, positioning, reaction time, rotating and more. The degree of which varies on the game.

I don't really agree with that big post from Fitcherman, however I think there is SOMETHING there about positional gameplay, at least in the sense of getting punished. One could argue that if you are in that bad position but have an opportunity to escape than the emphasis on positioning isn't so extreme.. Obviously the emphasis on having map control and being in a position to support your team while rotating still exists. You also have to rotate in a way that keeps LoS on teammates to teamshoot etc. There is a lot that goes into the positioning of Halo.

Knowing that positioning matters in Halo in that context, now look at what happens when you are out of position. Lets go through a few of the Halo games shall we? What happens in Halo CE when you are out of position? All you have is basically the ability to out shoot your opponent. You get PUNISHED every time you are out of position? Why? Because the kill times can be incredibly fast, and there is no opportunity for you to run away in CE. I find it has the most emphasis on positional gameplay out of the series. As the series progressed, kill times became longer and some emphasis changed as the mechanics and weapons changed. A major difference was the ability to lower your head and run away (strongside) combined with the longer kill times in general. Players would escape constantly in H2 and H3 for being out of position.

I don't agree with most of what that guy is saying but I can at least understand his PoV if he's coming from this context. In CoD (at least boots on the ground CoD) the positional gameplay has a strong emphasis on the fact that once an engagement happen you WILL be punished with no real opportunity to escape. Basically, always a life or death scenario, where as with Halo it is possible to live to fight another day, which isn't actually a bad thing.

The short kill times in COD certainly emphasize positioning. But the auto-aim deemphasises mechanical skill.

They could remove the auto-aim, and keep the low kill times and you'd still maintain the emphasis on positioning- but a player would have to be skilled mechanically you capitalize on the pepper positioning.

Ideally, A competitve game should emphasizes planning and execution. Not just planning. (Like Counter-Strike)

Halo, over the years, has changed in a way that in a way that degraded the emphasis on planning by empowering players to react to their mistakes. But there are still ways to reduce kill times and profit from positioning (nade-shots, backsmacks,powerweapons, powerups, spawn manipulation etc) and the mechanical skill requirement obviously dwarfs COD's.

also, COD has killstreaks aka (fuck yo planning and yo execution)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I care less about the TO and more about the league structure. MLG would be amazeballs even if they just handled the finals or majors, but i'm not hyping myself up for that.

Left field question: Anybody have that GIF of the Optic artillery strike on The Rig when they naded the fuck out of Nest during pro league or some event?

Here’s the clip

https://clips.twitch.tv/FunCallousPotSMOrc

• Upvote (+1) 8

You thought it was going to be MLG, but it was I, ESL, all along!  :weback:   :lxthul:

SoDrVeJ.gif

• Upvote (+1) 5

The short kill times in COD certainly emphasize positioning. But the auto-aim deemphasises mechanical skill.

They could remove the auto-aim, and keep the low kill times and you'd still maintain the emphasis on positioning- but a player would have to be skilled mechanically you capitalize on the pepper positioning.

Ideally, A competitve game should emphasizes planning and execution. Not just planning. (Like Counter-Strike)

Halo, over the years, has changed in a way that in a way that degraded the emphasis on planning by empowering players to react to their mistakes. But there are still ways to reduce kill times and profit from positioning (nade-shots, backsmacks,powerweapons, powerups, spawn manipulation etc) and the mechanical skill requirement obviously dwarfs COD's.

also, COD has killstreaks aka (fuck yo planning and yo execution)

I'm not really trying to compare the games specifically just adding some perspective into the positioning aspect or more specifically the point of being punished out of position. Mechanical skill is a different story and overall it seems like games are putting more emphasis on movement rather than aim for mechanical skill.

It's just too much to go through the games and compare each aspect of what takes skill and now they differ from each other. I enjoyed the early CoDs, and then found myself really enjoying CoD Black Ops II. I don't think it such a super deep game but I also wasn't anywhere near actual pro players. I found it actually to be incredibly easy to go off in lobbies and go 100-0 but when it came to actually playing game battles with an old Halo 2/3 teammate I realized the game had a lot more going team wise. Despite me being what I would considered good at CoD, my friend was somehow significantly better than everyone I ever played with or against. I get that the skill floor might be raised up a bunch and creates a compressed skill gap.

I just think there is a difference in recognizing the skill gap is compressed and prioritizes certain aspects of the game over other aspects like reaction times over aim tracking compared to saying how trash and easy something is in a tone that speaks as if you would get past losers bracket round 2 at an actual event lol.

He says the H5 population is better than 150k a month and is "In great shape". Also, shows the ranking of playlist population.

• Upvote (+1) 4

He says the H5 population is better than 150k a month and is "In great shape". Also, shows the ranking of playlist population.

Is he counting the people that have like 5-10 accounts?

• Upvote (+1) 5

giphy.gif

Smells like bullshit to me.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm feeling more confident about what we have lined up than ever before with HCS.

To be fair though that's not hard to do. 

Based on what?

Everyone here judges the population with guess work and bases it on flaky things like how long it takes to get a match.

Josh literally has facts and statistical data. So why call it bullshit?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Smells a lot like bullshit. Put the online player count back like H3, until then i'll put this 150k players statement in the same basket as when they told me I'd be able to play all the old halos on MCC just as they were years ago.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Based on what?

Everyone here judges the population with guess work and bases it on flaky things like how long it takes to get a match.

Josh literally has facts and statistical data. So why call it bullshit?

Common sense mostly.

Because he has the facts and the ever loved data of 343 but doesn't share them. Typically people hide things for a reason. 

Referencing numbers that you will not share should just stop. Regardless of how good the intentions are it looks shady because you're speaking from a place of authority and control without actually letting anyone fact check you. They could be totally lying or bending the truth in a thousand ways and, really, why would anyone trust that they aren't? They're selling a product and discussing it publicly. They have every reason to put it in the most positive light possible.

• Upvote (+1) 6

To Josh's post:

I can't call BS on him saying the population is bad. Like someone posted, we all just throw guesswork and shaky comparisons to other games around. I don't think Josh would be the type of person to mislead us if he has concrete numbers.

I can attest to the fact that at least in the HCS playlist, the matches have been taking a little longer to find, but all the ranks of players in the matches have been pretty close. My matches, at least, have been competitive in terms of not seeing many blowouts.

I'm thankful for the fact that matches have been of higher quality. Actually, this has been the stretch with the highest quality matches I've played since the game's release. Albeit, they've taken a little longer to match. I'm fine with that though as long as the quality is high.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I doubt he’s lying, and the most played list won’t give you any insight into whether he’s lying or not. The games listed above Halo could have anywhere between 1 and 10million more players than H5. Without numbers to reference, all we have is assumptions (even though we can make educated guesses about the top games)

The guy said more than 150,000 people play ranked in a month- which of perfectly possible. Your own MM experience is going to depend on how many people at your rank, in your area are playing ranked at the same time you are.

The only thing I’d say is BS is the notion that Halo’s population is good, but ofcourse they’ve got their own definition. They are probably less concerned with HCS’ population than Warzone’s population’s- which is taking the lionshare of the player base.