CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It became a popularity contest because the merits of CoD are obviously more than Halo's, otherwise Halo would be having the sold out LAN. You can argue as much as you like that Halo 5 is a superior game in every way to CoD:WW2 and I would probably agree with every point. Halo 5 takes more skill, even CoD pro's have said so. 

But it doesn't matter because CoD has a growing playerbase whereas Halo has a declining playerbase. This fact means that CoD has merits that outweigh any of the merits that Halo 5 has or Halo 5 would be king of the console esports. CoD has fostered a community around it's merits, Halo changes it's merits with every release.

You say we're talking about it's competitive merits? Halo 5 professional players don't even stream the game because it's not enjoyable. CoD Pros stream full time and make a killing from YouTube. If no-one plays the game and no-one watches the game whilst it's competition flies ahead, any argument about it's "competitive merits" becomes null and void.

You're pretty much talking past me at this point. It seems like you have a talking point in mind and are looking for an excuse to tie any further discussion about WWII being a shitty game back to it. Yes, CoD is more popular. Yes, CoD's community have done a better job maintaining and growing their scene. Yes, there are plenty of reasons CoD is kicking Halo's ass right now. And none of them have anything to do with the game itself being anything more than a finely tuned skinner box for casuals.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this EU team a god squad or is the EU scene actually decent in COD now? Good to see

Eu is good. This splyce team (3/4) is the only eu team to win a major cod event.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It became a popularity contest because the merits of CoD are obviously more than Halo's, otherwise Halo would be having the sold out LAN. You can argue as much as you like that Halo 5 is a superior game in every way to CoD:WW2 and I would probably agree with every point. Halo 5 takes more skill, even CoD pro's have said so. 

But it doesn't matter because CoD has a growing playerbase whereas Halo has a declining playerbase. This fact means that CoD has merits that outweigh any of the merits that Halo 5 has or Halo 5 would be king of the console esports. CoD has fostered a community around it's merits, Halo changes it's merits with every release.

You say we're talking about it's competitive merits? Halo 5 professional players don't even stream the game because it's not enjoyable. CoD Pros stream full time and make a killing from YouTube. If no-one plays the game and no-one watches the game whilst it's competition flies ahead, any argument about it's "competitive merits" becomes null and void.

I think you guys are talking about two different things because you're defining competitive differently than he is. He did say "gameplay and its competitive merits.", not competition as a whole. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Oddly enough I would expect a finely tuned Skinner box for casuals to be extremely popular so it’s no coincidence cod is so popular.

You're pretty much talking past me at this point. It seems like you have a talking point in mind and are looking for an excuse to tie any further discussion about WWII being a shitty game back to it. Yes, CoD is more popular. Yes, CoD's community have done a better job maintaining and growing their scene. Yes, there are plenty of reasons CoD is kicking Halo's ass right now. And none of them have anything to do with the game itself being anything more than a finely tuned skinner box for casuals.

To be clear, I agreed with you that Halo 5 was a superior competitive title, then you agreed with my point that it doesn't matter because CoD is dominating Halo.

So we both agree with each other, yet you've still worded your statement in a passive-aggressive manner.

You're weird.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Welcome to championship Monday boys

Not if they finish Grand Finals in the next 36 minutes. They're in central timezone.  :whoa:

Edit* Damn, they got to Game 3. But Championship Monday is real.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't want to take us way off topic and stray into discussions about HWC 2018, but: speculation time. It will be pretty funny if MLG really is the TO for the next season of HWC.

It's interesting to me that the expressions of confusion and frustration from the pro players have mostly died down ... maybe they already know something we don't. 

For one thing, it could excuse their delayed announcements. If there are legal/contractual issues involved, then 343i may have had their hands tied about making any announcements or giving away any information that could have clued us in ahead of time. And if they'd given the specific announcement date and that date happened to be the day after CWL Dallas concluded, that would have been tantamount to giving away the announcement, which could also get them into trouble. This would make a lot of people in the Twittersphere look pretty silly. 

What would make them look even sillier is if 343i tried BR starts for competitive because they were trying to find settings that were more classicly 'MLG-like' or made those changes in consultation with MLG. (Unlikely)

Of course, if they're going to announce UGC or someone else as the TO, then they've just done a terrible job of communicating and handling this transition, plain and simple, and I'll accept no excuses.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you guys are talking about two different things because you're defining competitive differently than he is. He did say "gameplay and its competitive merits.", not competition as a whole. 

I 100% understand that. But if the gameplay isn't bringing in any new players or making the current one's interested (in playing competitively) then is it really a better competitive title?

"If a tree falls and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" type of conundrum y'know?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I 100% understand that. But if the gameplay isn't bringing in any new players or making the current one's interested (in playing competitively) then is it really a better competitive title?

"If a tree falls and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" type of conundrum y'know?

I see what your saying, but I don’t think popularity should really be part of the metric when guaging how good a title is competitively. COD is poplular in large part BECAUSE it isn’t designed competitively at all. And it has a viable esport because the TO forged one.

I see what your saying, but I don’t think popularity should really be part of the metric when guaging how good a title is competitively. COD is poplular in large part BECAUSE it isn’t designed competitively at all. And it has a viable esport because the TO forged one.

It's not really CoD's popularity I focus on, it's more Halo 5's total lack thereof.

is it really a better competitive title?

Yes. IMO the other factors don't matter when discussing competitiveness.

Kind of a tangent but sure, Halo 5 has shit viewers and lacklustre TO's, but it's more competitive and fun to watch 100%. I'll take someone out-pistoling 2 guys and getting a snipe for the triple against a top 8 team over watching "superior positioning." lmao

Not hating on those who choose to watch COD though, hell, I'm watching Dallas.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'll take someone out-pistoling 2 guys and getting a snipe for the triple against a top 8 team over watching "superior positioning." lmao

Heh.

Moral of the story is it is about kill times.  The Halo developers needed to adapt to Call of Duty with faster kill times but they failed to do so (and actually went the wrong way).  The CE Pistol and the Halo 2 BR were awesome and made you feel powerful.  But the Reach DMR and the Halo 5 pistol are weak.  If players are frustrated by the starting weapon in a game they aren't going to enjoy playing the game.

I actually strongly agree with this isolated part of your post. I disagree about Halo being purely muscle. Halo has just as much if not more positional skillgap than CoD, especially when you are playing on well designed maps (Chill Out comes to mind).

• Upvote (+1) 8

Well, it was an entertaining tournament, grats to TK. Now back to wondering who the TO is and where the fuck is worlds. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also good stuff @@Clap, you and the MLG team deserve a well deserved break after the 2 bomb threats this weekend.

Everything was perfect production wise.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Im impressed with mlg and @@Clap after that event. after losing all if friday to the bomb threat yall were right on schedule sunday until that second bomb threat and you still finished at a reasonable time. Good job and this cwl season is gonna be :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 1