CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I can't handle the mad hype CoD action, tbh. Deciding round in a game 5 SnD and one player calls in a FIGHTER PLANE KILL STREAK for 2 completely free kills. What an insane clutch. Incredible gameplay. I'm sorry I ever doubted CoD. I was so, so wrong.

:wutface: 

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The score was 15-12 that didn't win them the game.

Faze force bought pistols with no utility in this round. Pistol forces on T Train rarely work, especially not against SK. This round win completely reset SK’s economy and Faze ended up 15-15 and forced overtime. They ended up losing in overtime, but this play literally won them 3 rounds to force it in a 750k tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The argument's about CoD's skill gap are hilarious. "It has less skill gap therefore is unworthy". what a joke. And in comparison to what may I ask as well? The only Halo game that i can guarantee has a larger skill gap than the current CoD is CE. You could make the case for 2 and 3 maybe, but Reach, 4 and 5? no way.

If there wasn't a significant enough skill gap to make the game competitively respectable, it wouldn't be the same handful of players that are always at the top. Most day's i find this obsession about skill gap to be a little ridiculous. Its the dick-measuring contest of esports. Its not the size, its how you use it and right now CoD is using it very well.

In this analogy, CS has the biggest dick

If theres a CS team that has never lost a map that I am unaware of, then yeah, CS has a bigger dick than H1.

Each game has their obvious faults, no game is perfect.

You can say this shit easily with COD but when someone goes on about Halo we get "I'm old and cranky" Cyren

• Upvote (+1) 7

COD fills a  'niche' type of console gaming, one that Halo was supposed to be having right now due to it's fast gameplay(RIP) and everything else that made Halo 1/2/3 a joy to play and watch. And it does it very well with a developer that actually tries to do things right by and for the community( unlike other games we know).

Gears is getting there, as long as The Coalition keeps doing stuff right. As for Halo...well... we know that story.

You can say this shit easily with COD but when someone goes on about Halo we get "I'm old and cranky" Cyren

I'm more vocal about Halo because it's something I've invested tons of time into, it's hard for me to go in-depth with other games since I feel I would be talking with my foot in my mouth. With that, I'll call out any ridiculous post(s) as I see them regardless of game, but if it's easier for you just to compile my thoughts into the "hey he's an old cranky guy!" area then more power to you. I still care (a lot) about this series and scene :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

COD fills a  'niche' type of console gaming, one that Halo was supposed to be having right now due to it's fast gameplay(RIP)

I guess you didn't watch the Deamhack Atlanta's Optic vs Splyce finals.

I guess you didn't watch the Deamhack Atlanta's Optic vs Splyce finals.

Just like nearly everyone else :p?

Lol but really while I personally watched it Halo really doesn't have stellar viewership. I'd be impressed if they even managed to get most of the die hard competitive Halo players to watch each event these days

As a casual shooter that makes everyone feel like a bad-ass through extremely tight audio/visual feedback, a highly compressed shooting skill-gap, linear maps that funnel players into each other's sights, and multiple overlapping reward systems, it's obviously very competent. Are you trying to say that, because it's the most popular (console) FPS game on the planet, spraying 4 bullets anywhere on the body with analogue sticks, aim assist, and nice, big trade windows fosters a compelling shooting skill gap? And I suppose those analogue stick turning speeds, 60 FOV, and simplistic, 3 lane maps create deep, positional game play? Add looking up in the air and throwing grenades across the map for random kills and some kill-streaks and you have a winning formula.

It is popular precisely because it is one of the shallowest FPS games on the market, which allows it to offer one of the shortest, easiest paths to a gaming endorphin rush available. In that context, it is obviously well designed and an extremely successful product. I apologize if that offends you. MLG's contributions to the CoD scene and league are extremely high quality and deserving of success.

The thing about Call of Duty is that it is an intelligence based shooter that rewards the smarter player.  Halo is a muscle memory shooter that rewards the player who has put in more play time.  Since the kill times are shorter in Call of Duty, success is determined by superior positioning and predicting the movements of your opponent because you need to get the first shot off.  Halo with its slower kill times (that have gotten even slower) is about who can sustain their shots over a longer period of time, which comes down to muscle memory, which comes down to who plays the game more.  In Halo someone can pull off a perfect flank and predict their enemy's movement, get three shots up on them and they can just get turned on and destroyed.  

If I come up against a level 150 in Halo 5 I am going to get beat.  I don't stand a chance.  They have played more and can shoot way better than me.  I could play the smartest game of my life and it won't matter because I can't match their shooting.  In my opinion, that is not right and that is not the kind of game I want to play.  In Call of Duty if I come up against a full party of prestige masters, I can still beat them even though they have played the game five times as much as I have.  All I have to do is outsmart them.  

My whole group of friends and high school gamers have switched over to Call of Duty.  I know I'll get hate for this post because this is a Halo forum but I can't lie.  Halo 2 was our favorite game but now Call of Duty does it better.  We are in our late twenties with jobs and responsibilities.  We don't have time to play Halo all night like we used to and do well at the game.  

Moral of the story is it is about kill times.  The Halo developers needed to adapt to Call of Duty with faster kill times but they failed to do so (and actually went the wrong way).  The CE Pistol and the Halo 2 BR were awesome and made you feel powerful.  But the Reach DMR and the Halo 5 pistol are weak.  If players are frustrated by the starting weapon in a game they aren't going to enjoy playing the game.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 14

I can't believe there are so many people that actually think Cod is some competitive game lol. Oh man.

Also you have to be INSANE to think Cod has a higher skill gap than even H5. Like actually insane.

So many people here shit on Halo 3's skillgap and make jokes about it and then turn around and try to talk positively about Cod. What the hell.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Literally every FPS ever made is about positioning on a fundamental level. CoD just emphasizes it more than most on the surface because there is basically nothing else to it. That doesn't make it some immensely cerebral game. lmfao.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I can't believe there are so many people that actually think Cod is some competitive game lol. Oh man.

Also you have to be INSANE to think Cod has a higher skill gap than even H5. Like actually insane.

So many people here shit on Halo 3's skillgap and make jokes about it and then turn around and try to talk positively about Cod. What the hell.

When your game has a tournament in a tent and the competition has a walkway with more TLC than your entire tournament, you start to wonder why. A game having a high skill gap =/= a game is more competitive.

Is it fun to play at a high level?

Does it have adequate ranked features?

Does it have adequate spectator features?

Is it fun to watch at a high level?

CoD the answer is yes to all of these questions. Halo 5 the answer is no. So yeah, Halo 5 has a higher "skill gap" but CoD beats it in all of the above.

Source: CoD has a sold out LAN tournament whereas Halo 5 had a tournament in a tent, is 90218490238490th on most played games and none of the pro's stream anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

When your game has a tournament in a tent and the competition has a walkway with more TLC than your entire tournament, you start to wonder why. A game having a high skill gap =/= a game is more competitive.

Is it fun to play at a high level?

Does it have adequate ranked features?

Does it have adequate spectator features?

Is it fun to watch at a high level?

CoD the answer is yes to all of these questions. Halo 5 the answer is no. So yeah, Halo 5 has a higher "skill gap" but CoD beats it in all of the above.

Source: CoD has a sold out LAN tournament whereas Halo 5 had a tournament in a tent, is 90218490238490th on most played games and none of the pro's stream anymore.

cod is not fun to play at a high level lol. It's such a random shallow game. It's 1000000 times more fun against bad kids in pubs when you're going for camos.

CODS ranked playlist is literal ass lol. Like completely broken. AND the game can't connect to te host 90% of the time on Xbox. This game was released SOOOOOO broken and it's still shit tier.

Spectator mode is good.

And high level cod isn't really that entertaining honestly. There's no real tense moments and there's no real gunfights. It's mostly "oh this guy saw this guy turned to the side so he killed him. Now he's on the mini map and he gets cleaned up. Game ended with everyone even."

I understand why Cod is fun and all that but Christ it's NOT a game where you mention the skillgap. Pretty much every other major FPS laughs at CoDs skillgap. This isn't something new.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I could watch CSGO or Halo and see that the pros are ridiculous at their games, when I watch COD it doesn't seem like they're insanely good. I dont know much about COD but I am assuming the skill gap isnt something you can necessarily see just by watching. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If theres a CS team that has never lost a map that I am unaware of, then yeah, CS has a bigger dick than H1.

Uh.... what?

I know we love CE around here, but come on.... 

The real question is where do we rank Goldeneye in the skill-gap department.

• Upvote (+1) 2

cod is not fun to play at a high level lol. It's such a random shallow game. It's 1000000 times more fun against bad kids in pubs when you're going for camos.

CODS ranked playlist is literal ass lol. Like completely broken. AND the game can't connect to te host 90% of the time on Xbox. This game was released SOOOOOO broken and it's still shit tier.

Spectator mode is good.

And high level cod isn't really that entertaining honestly. There's no real tense moments and there's no real gunfights. It's mostly "oh this guy saw this guy turned to the side so he killed him. Now he's on the mini map and he gets cleaned up. Game ended with everyone even."

I understand why Cod is fun and all that but Christ it's NOT a game where you mention the skillgap. Pretty much every other major FPS laughs at CoDs skillgap. This isn't something new.

I can't speak for the functionality of the ranked playlist, but the viewership, personality popularity and concurrent playerbase speak for themselves. Whilst you don't like the game or like watching it, a shitload of people do. It's a successful and good competitive game because it has an active, energized and growing player base.

Imagine thinking these 2 things are bad. Sheesh. If you get 3 shots on a guy and he turns on you you got out-fucking played. Hard. And you deserve that death. Who sees who first gameplay doesn't make something good bro what are you even saying. And now you're mad that someone that plays more than you is better than you? Yikes I can see why you love Cod. It's easy to pick up an do well in by design. What a post lmao.

Yeah I got out-played, because that person plays the game more than me.  And yeah I deserve that death in Halo.  A game should be about more than play time.  It should be about intelligence and positioning.  Playing smart should be more important than how much time a person has spent on a game, in my opinion.

• Downvote (-1) 3

I'll be so glad when this COD event is over, hopefully then all this COD talk will go away.

Me too, we can talk about the coming announcement (?) and what we want for Christmas!

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2