CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Not only do they have team skins fast, they also could explain the system behind right away in a short video... While we can't even buy org skins in the game at all times and org skins are so slow that those orgs are almost out again

They stilll haven’t announced the TO.

It’s December.

Dreamhack was in OCTOBER.

After Thanksgiving isn't specific enough for you?

/s

• Upvote (+1) 2

Doesn't take physical violence for me to dislike him, though that's also up there as to why I dislike him.

Was is this by any chance?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/an-apology

30min reply

I didn't even know this bullshittery was going on. Genuinely curious as aside from being a bit brash and argumentative I think he's done a lot of good for the esports scene.

What did everyone love so much about Bomb Planted?

Genuinely curious, because I've done a handful of shows no one really gives a shit about or even remembers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not hating but 18k peak viewers is not good at all considering MLG is the TO. I remember back in Gears: UE the Pro League finals hosted by ESL had like 16k peak viewers and that was two years ago, so how are these numbers an improvement? That esport is not growing at all.

it's also not declining, that's another way to look at it

GoW will always be a niche esport for multiple reasons, i'm shocked even that many people tuned in

at the end of the day dev ran esports are about advertising, i don't know any specifics but i get the impression that both sides are happy

Genuinely curious, because I've done a handful of shows no one really gives a shit about or even remembers.

What like Social Skirmish and other THC shows? I loved those as well.

I like hearing what community leaders and people who have been around for a long time have to say. I thought Bomb Planted was funny, genuine, and talked about things I cared about. It's the same reason why I liked Ghandi's UGC show.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It was just entertaining and interesting to see prominent figures in the competitive scene talk about it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For me its because it feels like its OUR show. Its just a couple of regular Halo kids talking about the stuff that I care about without any bullshit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So about this User Research group from Microsoft. I found this quote:

”In the Halo 1 days, the User Research team had three or four researchers each covering approximately six games, whereas now the team is — depending how you count the numbers — roughly 24-42 people and Halo 4 is Schuh's full time job...Because of that, in Halo 1, we were only able to do two-hour game slices," Schuh says. "We didn't look at the entire game. So yeah, the first two hours of Halo had our touch and had our love, and beyond that — where some levels might be a little confusing — those were beyond what we looked at."

”With Halo 4, the team has attempted to test everything in the game. "We have looked at pretty much every multiplayer map and mode, all of Spartan Ops, and the entire campaign," says Schuh, "and all the new additions to the Halo sandbox."

Imho, Sometimes you can overanalyze things. I wonder how much the User Research team has worked on Halo 5...

• Upvote (+1) 9

So about this User Research group from Microsoft. I found this quote:

”In the Halo 1 days, the User Research team had three or four researchers each covering approximately six games, whereas now the team is — depending how you count the numbers — roughly 24-42 people and Halo 4 is Schuh's full time job...Because of that, in Halo 1, we were only able to do two-hour game slices," Schuh says. "We didn't look at the entire game. So yeah, the first two hours of Halo had our touch and had our love, and beyond that — where some levels might be a little confusing — those were beyond what we looked at."

”With Halo 4, the team has attempted to test everything in the game. "We have looked at pretty much every multiplayer map and mode, all of Spartan Ops, and the entire campaign," says Schuh, "and all the new additions to the Halo sandbox."

Imho, Sometimes you can overanalyze things. I wonder how much the User Research team has worked on Halo 5...

I'm certain that the User Research team did a lot on Halo 5 and now Halo 6. Microsoft wouldn't let their top franchise go without testing. But again, if you're putting in the target demographic that plays FPS shooter games (the casual bro gamer), you're going to get feedback that ends up making every game look similar to CoD. More explosions, more weapons, more abilities, more vehicles, more everything. You're going to value that feedback more than the occasional competitive Halo fan - especially when you're looking at it from a monetary point of view.

I'd argue that looking at Halo this way is just a short term solution and eventually a long term disaster (as I think we are seeing). 

Why did I even try to communicate with r/halo

On the whole I really like /r/Halo, but they're always going to be a couple of years behind on things. Two years ago a comment about Halo 5 that would have me sitting at -100 would be upvoted today. It helps to use analogies for people that haven't been playing Halo that long. Compare CE to chess and Halo 5 to checkers. Both games have a skillgap, but chess is so much larger that they really aren't even comparable. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I always wondered who he choked.

Loda, Hard Carry on Alliance who won The International just a year or so earlier so quite a big name in the Dota Community.

His personal politics are a bit of a mess, but RL is a pretty good journalist and isn't afraid to call out Bullshitters in esports, especially in CSGO.

Viewership seemed down across the board on Twitch for all games, not sure why (DH winter was happening). Regardless we peaked at near 30k across all platforms and also had the largest Gears Bracket of all time. 

well there you go, that sounds like growth to me

and 30k is no joke

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't understand the preference for 1-50. The two systems are basically the same EXCEPT good players spend less time donging on low end players.

Why complain about the "accuracy" of placement matches, then advocate for something that's much less accurate?

If anything, they should improve the current MM system via party matching and also have an xp based, playlist progression system in addition to that.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

well there you go, that sounds like growth to me

and 30k is no joke

Isn’t 30K what we averaged for worlds this past year, on twitch?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Isn’t 30K what we averaged for worlds this past year, on twitch?

HWC17 Day 3 averaged 33,254 viewers and peaked at 71,784 viewers

but Day 3 of dreamhack denver averaged 9,508 viewers and peaked at 16,448 viewers

(twitch numbers only)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Viewership seemed down across the board on Twitch for all games, not sure why (DH winter was happening). Regardless we peaked at near 30k across all platforms and also had the largest Gears Bracket of all time. 

I misspoke. It was 59 total teams of 5, but not our biggest ever as we had some no shows!

• Upvote (+1) 8

it's also not declining, that's another way to look at it

GoW will always be a niche esport for multiple reasons, i'm shocked even that many people tuned in

at the end of the day dev ran esports are about advertising, i don't know any specifics but i get the impression that both sides are happy

I also view it as kinda a niche esport. I'll never forget Meadowlands 08 how small the gears community was compared to Halo back then. Despite the fact that Halo community was 20x bigger than Gears, the Gears community was somehow 20x louder than us. It was to the point where I was standing with all Halo players just watching series of Gears cause they were so loud and into the game/rivalries.

• Upvote (+1) 2

HWC17 Day 3 averaged 33,254 viewers and peaked at 71,784 viewers

but Day 3 of dreamhack denver averaged 9,508 viewers and peaked at 16,448 viewers

(twitch numbers only)

Worlds broke 80k on all platforms iirc
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Don't forget the 100 million viewers on twitter. 

• Upvote (+1) 4