On this day: December 4th 2017

1) 343 has recently buffed the assault rifle

2) Halo eSports and morale is currently at a low-point

3) Memes are memes in and of themselves

4) 2018 HCS Worlds still has not been announced

Nice hex

257.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can you win a match in Halo 5 and go down in level? It sounds ridiculous but it was possible in Halo 2 and was one of the things I hated about the 1-50 system. It wasn't very common but I guess it's possible in an ELO system so if they do bring back 1-50 I would love for that to change as well.

Was scrolling through my timeline and got super excited for half a second, until I finished reading the tweet. FML

He's just lucky TSquared's still under contract... could have been much worse.

tenor.gif?itemid=5699317

• Upvote (+1) 2

I admire the sentiment but it doesn’t work in practice that’s my main issue I have with it. Placements aren’t accurate due to the number of variables that the player does not have control over. When the majority of placements are inaccurate then it throws the whole system off. People are being mismatched from the beginning of the games life cycle and it only gets worse throughout the games life cycle.

Ranks have only gotten worse for reasons that are certainly debatable but you can’t entirely rule out the inherent design decision in the system. The idea on paper is good but in practice it leaves a lot of room for improvement. I also disagree with the notion that climbing the ranks is pub stomping. All of us here didn’t start our halo careers being 45-50 class of players. Most of us had to slowly grind our way to it. We all remember getting that first 50, we remember the game type, map, and the teammates we had. There’s something inherently satisfying climbing the ranks and it is just gone from the H5 experience. The ranks are reset before you can blink and you’re right back where you started from.

We can agree to disagree on the competitive merits of the placements and resets but the actually experience sitting down and getting ranked in H5 leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh yeah, the ranked matchmaking experience is shit, but i think most of that is due to population and the game itself.  Forcing a grind from 1-50 would just extend the shit.

Your experience about ranking up to 50 not being pub stomping is the exception rather than the rule.  MOST people that play the game aren't going to have that experience because they aren't all total noobs. Its absolutely the equivalent to pub stomping and placement matches still take care of that...  If you play your matches and you're shit, you get bronze 4 or whatever, then you get to grind up from there.  Placement matches mostly take individual skill into account so even if you get dookie teammates for half the games it won't effect you too badly.  Compared to getting shit teammates during the 1-50 grind and getting stuck at a moderate rank that you dont really belong in because its all win-loss.  Placement matches bridge the gap.

I think the ranks reset a little too much.  I would prefer them to actually be seasonal or close to it with 3 or 4 a year instead of the 6-8 we have been getting (or 12 for the first year...).

The isssue is the placement matches. No one likes being 80% complete with the playlist after 10 games. It was even more broken at launch where people were getting champ in 10 games. There’s no grind with H5 system, no improvement potential, and no fun with what little effort you put in gets erased in a month or two.

It’s just a copy and paste from RTS games which are single player games and it doesn’t pair well with a team shooter. Nothing like doing your 10 placement matches and having afk teammates or teammates who quit and have that held against you in placement. The ranking system in H5 IS a problem and is overall inferior to H3’s system.

Couldn't agree more, I absolutely loved the progression of ranking up, and once I had hit the top then I would love the grind of gaining XP to my rank, it was simple but so effective. It kept me coming back to play.

Halo 5 is literally the easiest Halo to pubstomp in. I can guarantee myself a bronze to gold rank on infinite accounts and just go to town. Plus placements on fresh accounts is always super low so its really not that different from H3 where you could get to a 30 in like 5 games lol. Idc if they keep this system but they need to at least use Halo 3's EXP system. Either way alts being free and no arty restrictions is going to make any ranking system shit. Plus reverse boosting being so easy. 

Oh and H5 is not different from a 1-50 at all. You know since champs can match diamonds and high onyx can match plats. Thats really no different from back in the day.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh yeah, the ranked matchmaking experience is shit, but i think most of that is due to population and the game itself. Forcing a grind from 1-50 would just extend the shit.

Your experience about ranking up to 50 not being pub stomping is the exception rather than the rule. MOST people that play the game aren't going to have that experience because they aren't all total noobs. Its absolutely the equivalent to pub stomping and placement matches still take care of that... If you play your matches and you're shit, you get bronze 4 or whatever, then you get to grind up from there. Placement matches mostly take individual skill into account so even if you get dookie teammates for half the games it won't effect you too badly. Compared to getting shit teammates during the 1-50 grind and getting stuck at a moderate rank that you dont really belong in because its all win-loss. Placement matches bridge the gap.

I think the ranks reset a little too much. I would prefer them to actually be seasonal or close to it with 3 or 4 a year instead of the 6-8 we have been getting (or 12 for the first year...).

Agreed the resets are the deal breaker for me. 2-3 would be the sweet spot for me personally. Was it really 12 the first year?.. Christ no wonder I hate this system.

6) 1 liter of whole milk is roughly $0.67 in the state of Ohio.

They sell liters??  I can only get quarts and gallons around here for $2 and 3$

Agreed the resets are the deal breaker for me. 2-3 would be the sweet spot for me personally. Was it really 12 the first year?.. Christ no wonder I hate this system.

I think so.  They were doing them every 4-6 weeks for a while so there were at least 10 in year 1.

I dunno about the liter part, but if you want cheap milk, find the nearest Aldi.

No. The website I found had it listed in liters though.

$0.67 / liter would be $2.53 / gallon

Also, @Joe, you do realize your humble forums just reached their 1 millionth post, right? I think this calls for some sort of a speech or video. I think you know what the people want, Joe.

7M8NN4W.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

Still don't understand how all other developers and leagues can pump out additional community/team skins insanely fast, but 343 seems to struggle. Re-skinning an already developed in-game model/object isn't hard to do, especially after you've already done it several times.

Each Halo event should have some type of "UGC St. Louis" or "HWC 2017" supporter pack to help crowdfund the events. Make the skins available about a month before the event and the proceeds go toward the prize pool.  Once the event is over, the skins go away. Rinse and repeat for every event.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Theres was no way on earth i was getting to be on air with the 2 time and not bringing up Halo.

Great job casting that PUBG event as always dude. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No. The website I found had it listed in liters though.

$0.67 / liter would be $2.53 / gallon

Also, @Joe, you do realize your humble forums just reached their 1 millionth post, right? I think this calls for some sort of a speech or video. I think you know what the people want, Joe.

7M8NN4W.png

photo-16088.png?_r=1512344626

• Upvote (+1) 1

I admire the sentiment but it doesn’t work in practice that’s my main issue I have with it. Placements aren’t accurate due to the number of variables that the player does not have control over. When the majority of placements are inaccurate then it throws the whole system off. People are being mismatched from the beginning of the games life cycle and it only gets worse throughout the games life cycle.

Ranks have only gotten worse for reasons that are certainly debatable but you can’t entirely rule out the inherent design decision in the system. The idea on paper is good but in practice it leaves a lot of room for improvement. I also disagree with the notion that climbing the ranks is pub stomping. All of us here didn’t start our halo careers being 45-50 class of players. Most of us had to slowly grind our way to it. We all remember getting that first 50, we remember the game type, map, and the teammates we had. There’s something inherently satisfying climbing the ranks and it is just gone from the H5 experience. The ranks are reset before you can blink and you’re right back where you started from.

We can agree to disagree on the competitive merits of the placements and resets but the actually experience sitting down and getting ranked in H5 leaves a lot to be desired.

There's a reason that every single competitive game that anyone plays right now uses placement matches. I don't think pointing to that particular optimization as the problem with Halo 5's ranked match-making makes much sense. Placements can be inaccurate, yes, but that is no more inaccurate than throwing highly skilled Halo veterans in with everyone else and creating an unnecessary, long grind through lesser skilled players. The point of placements is to get players closer to an appropriate skill rank faster. I can't see any draw back to that at all. Neither system is 100% accurate from the start, but one gets closer much faster.

​You disagree with the comparison to pub-stomping, but your example for the value of the "grind" is a scenario that absolutely does happen in a modern placement-based ranking system, just not for experienced players who have already experienced that grind. You are conflating starting out less skilled and grinding to improve with starting out low ranked and grinding to higher ranks. Those are not equivalent. We're not talking about inexperienced players starting low and working their way up. We're talking about players who should be 50s/Onyx/Champions starting at the bottom with the kids who really are 5s/Bronze and grinding their way up, which is basically forcing them to pub stump for an unnecessary amount of time before they can get even matches. A good placement system should allow less skilled players to start out lower and work their way up without throwing them into matches with the players who are already good "grinding" to the rank that would actually reflect their skill level. Not to mention the fact that MMR values carry over between seasons, which means that, one, you're not "right back where you started from" and, two, the system should become more accurate with time.

​To be clear, I'm not saying that the ranked Halo 5 experience is particularly good. I don't think it is and it has gotten worse with time, but I don't think nostalgia for the experience of grinding levels in a more enjoyable game when you were younger and less experienced is a suitable argument against an improvement to ranked match-making systems that every single current game uses for good reason. H5 ranked has plenty of problems. I don't think using placement matches instead of treating skill ranks like a leveling system is one of them. The majority of the issues stem from the game itself (which is trash), dwindling population, and problems with 343's specific execution of that system.

• Upvote (+1) 7

IMO Rank resets should coincide with the hcs seasons in an ideal world.

Yeah, at the start of each new season.

At the end of a season the playlist should become a testing ground for potential changes to the next season and ranks should carry over to ensure that matches remain as accurate as possible during the testing phase.

I understand that a division system as we have now can be great but I don't trust 343 to ever be able to pull that off properly and as a result would rather them just do 1-50. Even with a population this games ranking system did not inspire me whatsoever. Ranks resetting every 1-2 months is so fucking stupid, it defies everything ever known about gaming progression psychology. The Onyx 1500+ system isnt gratifying at all, you can only become a champion if you can grind nonstop, if not you are resigned to just increasing your dumbass 4 digit number a little bit. There is no satisfaction in this number, this is no "talk to me when you get Onyx 2000, kid". People need satisfying ways of comparing themselves to others. This might not be so bad if Onyx weren't grossly easy to achieve.

There should be 1-50, 50 being hard as fuck to get, and then an ELO number after 50.

rQmJ7St.png

https://sullygnome.com/channel/Gears%20of%20War/7/streams

here are the twitch viewers, idk about mixer or mlg tho

Not hating but 18k peak viewers is not good at all considering MLG is the TO. I remember back in Gears: UE the Pro League finals hosted by ESL had like 16k peak viewers and that was two years ago, so how are these numbers an improvement? That esport is not growing at all.

Still don't understand how all other developers and leagues can pump out additional community/team skins insanely fast, but 343 seems to struggle. Re-skinning an already developed in-game model/object isn't hard to do, especially after you've already done it several times.

Each Halo event should have some type of "UGC St. Louis" or "HWC 2017" supporter pack to help crowdfund the events. Make the skins available about a month before the event and the proceeds go toward the prize pool. Once the event is over, the skins go away. Rinse and repeat for every event.

"Different tech, different time lines, etc. "

Still don't understand how all other developers and leagues can pump out additional community/team skins insanely fast, but 343 seems to struggle. Re-skinning an already developed in-game model/object isn't hard to do, especially after you've already done it several times.

Each Halo event should have some type of "UGC St. Louis" or "HWC 2017" supporter pack to help crowdfund the events. Make the skins available about a month before the event and the proceeds go toward the prize pool.  Once the event is over, the skins go away. Rinse and repeat for every event.

5-Office-Space-quotes.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3