CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Nah its a bad FPS mechanic. The top two shooters in the world have no Sprint and no ADS.

Call of Duty with no sprint? Pfffttt  :fire:

i hear ya but that's not really a great argument

some FPS games need sprint, could you imagine playing arma or PUBG without sprint? RIP

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

the "vast majority" prefers the new abilities

i think so too, imo people play games because they are fun, not because it has x/y/z mechanic 

i don't think sprint is a bad FPS mechanic, it just doesn't work well for halo

where is her data? i honestly want to see these numbers/surveys/etc bc it just seems made up. i always find it ironic that we have to have a research paper and science fair experiment to prove that the millions of halo player that left did so because they dont like the current mechanics, but they just say they've done surveys

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is exactly the kind of bull shit data they depend on. Of course the people they are surveying are halo 5 players. 90% of the old halo community is gone because of how terrible it is now. You can't run a survey of the people currently using your product like this, of course the people still playing it enjoy it. All they have to do is look at the fucking numbers on twitch, youtube, anything. Halo no longer has any viewership because they keep producing shit games. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

90% of the old halo community is gone because of how terrible it is now.

Why survey the old halo community.It's not like they're going to come back after multiple games we've had that would've killed any other series (halo reach, 4, MCC, and 5).

Going through that grim and jessabirds twitters is painful. I'm sorry but if you need any data to see that the classic halo's were far more popular and successful then you honestly don't belong in a professional work environment. This is not rocket science, literally everyone but the people at 343 see how blatantly obvious it is that these enhanced mobility halos are laughed at in the gaming community as a whole. I've seen big name streamers, CoD, and CS:GO pros all tweet or have videos about how halo used to be so great. If you can't call a spade a spade gtfo.

I'm actually ashamed I didn't use this gif with the original post.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quick Poll: Do you like posting on this site?

Neg for Yes

Plus for No

I just wanted to see what it was like to run a poll ;)

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 22

I don't necessarily disbelieve that some data from younger groups of people who never played H3 would prefer sprint or ADS in their games because that's what they know etc. 

However, I think the argument can be made that this younger group does not have the buying power of the 20 something and up gamer who want an original Halo type game. 

No I don't have an data to back this up, just my own experience. I see the young kids playing games on their phones and some COD, but Iike I said before, I've got people at work dropping $1000's on gaming pc's for the first time just to get some PUBG action. Imagine if Halo was actually good, all the single guys out there out of college making good money for the first time would definitely be snapping up Xbox One X's and Elite Controllers. 

Could have just edited the original post to add it in.

Can't do that, it'd be fake of me. I admit when I fall short.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't necessarily disbelieve that some data from younger groups of people who never played H3 would prefer sprint or ADS in their games because that's what they know etc. 

However, I think the argument can be made that this younger group does not have the buying power of the 20 something and up gamer who want an original Halo type game. 

No I don't have an data to back this up, just my own experience. I see the young kids playing games on their phones and some the COD thing, but Iike I said before, I've got people at work dropping $1000's on gaming pc's for the first time just to get some PUBG action. Imagine if Halo was actually good, all the single guys out there out of college making good money for the first time would definitely be snapping up Xbox One X's and Elite Controllers. 

A good halo wouldn't require an Elite controller tho...  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 6

Make stronghold only one stronghold on the map that rotates to 5-6 different locations throughout the game, make it a super small radius, and we got ourselves a ghetto extraction lmfao

Is that not just basically KotH? Needing to control a certain area for a certain amount of time...I've always felt strongholds is a shit gametype since it's basically 3-Plots, or Land Grab, with a different scoring system. I just personally feel that it isn't an overly competitive mode vs. something like KotH which to me required much more teamwork and setup based play. Then again, I haven't played Halo 5 in months, probably over a year at this point, so my experience is pretty limited. And I rage quit on Halo 4 pretty early on, but having played extraction on MCC, I don't feel like it's that great of a gametype. Overall, I think KotH is much better and more competitive than both.

I don't know if this is true or not - if it is, still doesn't explain why KotH/Oddball/Extraction weren't planned out of the box.

Could be another instance of this shit company trying to put their own spin on Halo. Although extraction is theirs too, so I don't know really, but that's all I've got.

i personally have a hard time believing people won't buy halo if the game doesn't include sprint

"you can't even sprint! wow, i'm not buying this game"

idk, it just seems nonsensical to me

Would just require the base speed to be a little faster, probably similar in feel to Halo 1 or Halo 2, and not running around with several cinder blocks tied to your feet like you were in vanilla Halo 3. 

I could see that being true, I would wager most fans have moved on since the original trilogy to other series since Reach. The current generation of gamers are so used to this version of Halo, and with the botching of MCC it's hard to really give them that real experience when the series thrived.

I would be really curious to see how Halo would sell if it didn't have the name to it, I feel gamers continue to play more because of the name attached to the game more than the actual content provided.

I think you've got something here with a lot of fans moving on from Halo. I'm sure a lot of fans of original Halo (1-3) have either A) moved on to other games like CoD B) moved on to PC gaming exclusively or C) have just grown out of gaming like they used to when they were younger. A lot of us were in our early-mid teens and had a ton more free time to play and game. Now those same people are out of college, have spouses, and kids and whatnot so they might have ditched gaming entirely. Either way, I think your point has a lot of merit. 

some FPS games need sprint, could you imagine playing arma or PUBG without sprint? RIP

As far as sprint goes, whatever other games are doing, I think sprint has absolutely no place in Halo. No matter what they've tried to do to balance it - whether it was a cool down period like Call of Duty used to have (and now currently has with WW2 again) or the no shields recharge thing in Halo 5, it just doesn't work at all. A lot of other games have designs that work in unison with sprint - using your example of PUBG the maps are absolutely enormous and they are going for a certain measure of realism here so sprint is a no-brainer and same with Call of Duty, and their maps are designed (usually) around the use of sprint and the fact that you didn't (up until BO2 I think and now with WW2 again) have unlimited sprint. However, the entirety of 343's design team I think sucks because they can't seem to find a way to accurately include sprint in Halo with any way they try to balance it, and Bungie couldn't either. I just believe this is one of those games that sprint just will not ever work in.

Bump the base movement speed, scale maps down, widen the field of view. If they still really want sprint, put a button in that makes the player swing there arms and pant with no movement speed change.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not that it would require an Elite or a Scuf, but ergonomically, you can't deny the benefits of that style of controller. Erasing the claw controller style from existence is something that should definitely be happening, classic game or not. I don't disagree with you at all, just pointing out that even if a classic Halo came out and you didn't need to use an Elite or Scuf, I'd still bet the majority (at least competitive players) would want to use one based on familiarity and ease of use compared with playing regularly and not being able to do all things at once like jump and aim or play claw.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Again where is the survey? I wanna see the numbers with all the variables included. It better not be that 11% survey, had I known that particular survey was going to dictate the future of the series for all time I would have bothered completing it. And if it is why is that survey more viable then the combine polls of tb,Reddit, and waypoint? So many questions...

Combat doesn't dominate playtime in those games versus team-based competitive shooters. Was referring to Overwatch and CS of course but I know what you're saying

Paddles would be nice for button combos.

Is that not just basically KotH? Needing to control a certain area for a certain amount of time...I've always felt strongholds is a shit gametype since it's basically 3-Plots, or Land Grab, with a different scoring system. I just personally feel that it isn't an overly competitive mode vs. something like KotH which to me required much more teamwork and setup based play. Then again, I haven't played Halo 5 in months, probably over a year at this point, so my experience is pretty limited. And I rage quit on Halo 4 pretty early on, but having played extraction on MCC, I don't feel like it's that great of a gametype. Overall, I think KotH is much better and more competitive than both.

Once you cap it you'll just gain points off of it, so not really. KotH requires you to stand in to accrue points, and the KotH script is apparently super buggy from what I've heard.

I just don't understand why they can't put a Sprint/no Sprint poll on Twitter and let the community vote. They could even share it on every avenue including waypoint. I think they would be scared about the results honestly.

"Thanks for the feedback" Lol they aren't even willing to put out a simple poll.

They are really overestimating their playerbase whenever they say it's a fraction or small slice of the players.

The issue with any poll 343 puts out is that the people who stopped buying/playing/following Halo won't vote. I know more people who stopped having anything to do with Halo that used to love it that would never see the poll than people who would.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They are really overestimating their playerbase whenever they say it's a fraction or small slice of the players.

maybe 343 employees are in an echo chamber as well. Constantly being told their game is the best halo since halo 2. movie's like the island come to mind here 

• Upvote (+1) 2