CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

343 seems to be very inefficient if it takes them up to a year to add one game mode.

Halo 3 or Reach must have taken decades to develop
  • Upvote (+1) 6

343 seems to be very inefficient if it takes them up to a year to add one game mode. 

Remember they said the same things about weapon skins... Then boom 3 new weapon skins

• Upvote (+1) 1

Always interesting to me the vast disconnect in the perception of how folks think things work, or what people in particular positions are responsible for, or how long something takes to actually get done, or what can/can't be said, or what hurdles can make things more difficult.

Is this a new spicy meme?

• Upvote (+1) 2

How the FUCK does it take 6-12 months to add a new game mode? Their coding must be all sorts of fucked up.

I could see it taking 6-12 months if they are adding like 4 modes concurrently....  But for a single mode? idk.... maybe they are including all the playtesting and stuff to get the default settings....?

How the FUCK does it take 6-12 months to add a new game mode? Their coding must be all sorts of fucked up.

I doubt it's 6-12 months of exclusively working on 1 mode.

As a programmer, I really hate when people say this.

It's not their coding that's messed up.  It's not like they can just copy code from previous iterations of Halo and magically incorporate new game types into Halo 5.  It's a completely different environment that does require a lot of development and testing time before pushing a live update to potentially hundreds of thousands of Xboxes.

I do agree that 6-12 months seems like a long time, but I also have no idea how many resources 343 even still has working on H5 at the moment.  I would think that they're allocating a lot more resources towards future projects at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 9

...I also have no idea how many resources 343 even still has working on H5 at the moment. I would think that they're allocating a lot more resources towards future projects at this point.

Ding ding ding. I'd imagine this is why adding a game mode to halo 5 would take 6-12 months.

Always interesting to me the vast disconnect in the perception of how folks think things work, or what people in particular positions are responsible for, or how long something takes to actually get done, or what can/can't be said, or what hurdles can make things more difficult.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

Remember they said the same things about weapon skins... Then boom 3 new weapon skins

Yeah, there is always an excuse until something happens.

Halo 3 or Reach must have taken decades to develop

Don't forget, Bungie has space magic. 

3 gametypes in H5

3 year dev cycle

The math checks out  :apg:

weebey.JPG

I might be talking out my ass here, but I get the feeling when he says 6-12 months, he means it would take 6-12 months to add a new gametype to an already "completed" game like Halo 5.

Or even Halo 6 depending on how far through development it is. It makes sense that when you first begin building out a game, you have a handful of gametypes that you want to include, and the process for building all of them into the game is significantly more efficient than trying to add a one-off Extraction a couple years later.

I don't know if this is true or not - if it is, still doesn't explain why KotH/Oddball/Extraction weren't planned out of the box.

i personally have a hard time believing people won't buy halo if the game doesn't include sprint

"you can't even sprint! wow, i'm not buying this game"

idk, it just seems nonsensical to me

I must have missed something, did 343 actually try to make that argument?

If so that is ridiculous.

i personally have a hard time believing people won't buy halo if the game doesn't include sprint

"you can't even sprint! wow, i'm not buying this game"

idk, it just seems nonsensical to me

I think they are more afraid of the scenario where someone expects Sprint and then asks "where's the Sprint button?" and get frustrated because now they can't move any faster.

Buuuuuut none of that matters if you have appropriate movement/player mechanics, an engaging sandbox, and good map design.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I must have missed something, did 343 actually try to make that argument?

If so that is ridiculous.

the "vast majority" prefers the new abilities

Buuuuuut none of that matters if you have appropriate movement/player mechanics, an engaging sandbox, and good map design.

i think so too, imo people play games because they are fun, not because it has x/y/z mechanic 

i don't think sprint is a bad FPS mechanic, it just doesn't work well for halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

I could see that being true, I would wager most fans have moved on since the original trilogy to other series since Reach. The current generation of gamers are so used to this version of Halo, and with the botching of MCC it's hard to really give them that real experience when the series thrived.

I would be really curious to see how Halo would sell if it didn't have the name to it, I feel gamers continue to play more because of the name attached to the game more than the actual content provided.

• Upvote (+1) 4

i don't think sprint is a bad FPS mechanic, it just doesn't work well for halo

Nah its a bad FPS mechanic. The top two shooters in the world have no Sprint and no ADS.

Call of Duty with no sprint? Pfffttt  :fire:

did snipedown find a 4th? Are we CoD now? where can I support whatever we are supporting now? when does shit start and where can I watch?