CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Bringing in a PhD consultant was actually a standard during the original trilogy. Go back and watch the old Bungie vidocs - mainly the ones on the Halo 3 Legendary Edition discs. You'll be amazed at the process.

In regards to Jess, she's actually a genuine person who's trying to interpret your feedback so that she can relay it to the team. I sat near her for a few months before I left, and she honestly takes her craft very seriously, and scientifically. While we're always prone to the human side of design and development, others rely more on data and statistics. She's a great person to build a relationship with over your future conversations, so try not to scare her off!

-Ghost

Why did you leave tho

• Upvote (+1) 2

In regards to Jess, she's actually a genuine person who's trying to interpret your feedback so that she can relay it to the team. 

In other words, turn feedback into arbitrary numbers for the spreadsheet warriors.

In other words, turn feedback into arbitrary numbers for the spreadsheet warriors.

Eh, more like take data they already have and find connections between player sentiment and some quantifiable data point/points. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh, more like take data they already have and find connections between player sentiment and some quantifiable data point/points. 

That sounds like how to run a bank. I 100% understand numbers and stats for balance, but for fun you need human responses.

343 have been sending out surveys for christs sake. Surely interacting with vocal and popular communities would be twenty times more important than anonymous surveys.

I mean that poll is pointless anyways. It might as well say

1. Halo games people actually played

2. Halo games that lost most of the player base

3. Halo games from 1 but broken xd lol

The answer is obvious to anyone who's actually been playing through all of this trash and the fact that we're having to provide data, explain that for 7 years, complain, get ignored and finally give up is painfully stupid

• Upvote (+1) 2

That sounds like how to run a bank. I 100% understand numbers and stats for balance, but for fun you need human responses.

343 have been sending out surveys for christs sake. Surely interacting with vocal and popular communities would be twenty times more important than anonymous surveys.

but that's exactly the problem dude - what's 'fun' can be vastly different from person to person. I mean, @@GH057ayame thinks 4v4 CTF Derelict on splitscreen is fun and I'd rather play Spartan Ops in Halo 4 than subject myself to that shit. The whole point is to try and find connections between something tangible/quantifiable and 'fun'. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

but that's exactly the problem dude - what's 'fun' can be vastly different from person to person. I mean, @@GH057ayame thinks 4v4 CTF Derelict on splitscreen is fun and I'd rather play Spartan Ops in Halo 4 than subject myself to that shit. The whole point is to try and find connections between something tangible/quantifiable and 'fun'. 

Holy shit I could go for some Derelict CTF right now.

Idk if you know this but with the one very large difference between the original trilogy gameplay style and what came after what do they attribute the popularity loss to? The obvious game changer between H3 and everything after it is the addition of spartan abilities and a total rethink of how Halo maps are designed out of a necessity to play towards those abilities. Do they think other games or just better or something? Instead of maybe saying "Hey maybe the game just appealed to more people the way it was" I really wish someone from 343 could actually explain this

Holy shit I could go for some Derelict CTF right now.

Hour long 4v4 CTF games on a 27" tube in 4-way splitscreen with GH057 are an interesting experience. :P

Idk if you know this but with the one very large difference between the original trilogy gameplay style and what came after what do they attribute the popularity loss to? The obvious game changer between H3 and everything after it is the addition of spartan abilities and a total rethink of how Halo maps are designed out of a necessity to play towards those abilities. Do they think other games or just better or something? Instead of maybe saying "Hey maybe the game just appealed to more people the way it was" I really wish someone from 343 could actually explain this

I mean... I've been playing Halo religiously since CE, so I'm not sure how I wouldn't know this... so for context... I personally prefer CE - 3, but also understand that at this point, we are farther removed from 'Classic Halo' than we spent playing it. I'm not saying Halo can't go back to that, nor that it shouldn't... I'm saying there's a very large number of Halo fans who can't identify with Halo sans spartan abilities and that plays a big part in how 343 approaches finding a workable equilibrium. 

WESTERN EUROPE

Please. It's too early in the morning for me to tilt.

Im pretty sure Western Europe existed in 1943, lol.

Nice try though

Im pretty sure Western Europe existed in 1943, lol.

Nice try though

He obviously wants Halo 6 to take place in northern Europe 1943, Sweden specifically, you'll play as a farmer with the occasional plane flying high above with a chance of dropping aluminum for you to find!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Competitive Halo will lose a ton more recognition if Snipedown switches; that tag and Halo are synonymous. Eric is one of the last glimmers of light/reasons to care left for older fans.

And 343 is doing nothing to stop him. . .

• Upvote (+1) 9

Maybe I'm just a big old shill, but I legit think 343 are honestly trying their best to make data driven decisions, but the Halo community consists of too many people who have vastly different 'definitions' of what Halo is and should be. They are trying to find an equilibrium, but 'center' is too far from the individual parts and the result becomes almost unrecognizable to any specific individual or sub group.

I've also been awake for like 36 hour straight so those words might not make sense.

They are trying to make data driven decisons which is fine IMO. The problem is that they collect biased data and then use that confirm their hypothesis. that's not ok. It seems like, despite the resources available, they are incapable of proper data collection. I don't even think it's malicious.

Luckily, recent sales success of other FPS have disproved some of the theories that lead to H5s mechanics. Unfortunately, 343 will probably learn the wrong lessons and add more counterproductive nonsense to the game in the name of "moving the game forward"

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point I just hope that there are some guys from Halo who can go to COD and succeed. There is no hope for any real success for the remaining time of H5 and I don't blame a lot of these guys for looking to make the move.

343 has completely botched the last 2 months on both the settings and TO side of things. They don't listen to the pros, communication with the community has ground to a halt again and there is no announcement in sight. If I was Snipedown, Shottzy, Bubu, Stellur, etc I would be doing everything I can to get in a good situation in COD.

• Upvote (+1) 1